The bow hair was getting slippery despite rosining, time to get a rehair. Or maybe not.
I followed the advice of my Father's old concertmaster who used to be CM of the Met. Opera in the 1920's who said they all did this to save money. It worked once before for me and it just worked superbly again. Isopropyl Alcohol, 91%, about $1.67 or so.
I soaked part of a rag with alcohol and rubbed the rag up and down the hair. My wife was holding the bow by the tip for me and the hair dangled straight down after unscrewing the frog. This way there was no chance of getting alcohol on the wood.
After resoaking different parts of the rag a few times and rubbing the hair I wiped a few times again with a clean dry rag until there was no stickyness on the hair. After that I put the bow with the hair dangling down off a dresser with a heavy cloth on the bow to keep it from turning over on it's side and geting any residual alcohol on the tip.
The next day I simply started rosining again as all the alcohol had evaporated. The bow is terrific again. Grabs very nicely. Not quite as good as a high quality and expensive rehair by an expert, but about 90% as good which is 100% better than before.
This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.
Violinist.com is made possible by...
Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.