best orchestrations in a concerto?

October 23, 2007 at 11:41 PM · What violin concerto has got the best orchestrations according to you?

I love the orchestrations in both of the Penderecki concertos and Gubaidulina´s Offertorium the most, of the ones I heard

Replies (42)

October 24, 2007 at 12:05 AM · Nothing radical here, but the Mendelssohn seems to me the most amazingly sensibly scored concerto, and the orchestral colors are really beautiful.

Otherwise, the Berg is fantastic, and there are great moments in Prokofiev 2 and Tchaikovsky.

October 24, 2007 at 01:43 AM · I like:

Bartok 2

Sibelius

Berg

Britten

Part, "Tabula Rasa"

October 24, 2007 at 02:27 AM · Sibelius for me.

I also like Dvorak Violin Concerto's orchestrations.

Oh, and Shostakovich's violin concerto

October 24, 2007 at 03:27 AM · Paganini Violin Concerto

# 5

A minor [maybe wrong key,not sure--can't 'read'].

thrilling concerto !

best back-up musicians:

Rebecca Pidgeon_The Raven

"You Got Me" !!!!!!! --------try the piece on your violin !

Easy & Fun !

Sorry,I was carried away for a brief moment.

October 24, 2007 at 05:08 AM · I would say Sibelius for sure. Sibelius is almost as symphony in itself- he thinks of the work symphonically for sure and the orchestra is an integral part of the piece, not just accompaniment. I think the Tchaikovsky is excellently scored, esp. in the 1st and 2nd movements, and the violin is rarely ever covered up. Those are my two favorites.

October 24, 2007 at 05:44 AM · Glazunov Concerto

Vieuxtemps 5th

Scottish Fantasy

Tschaikovsky

Mendelssohn

October 24, 2007 at 10:58 AM · I can't stand anything about the Glazunov myself :)

Love the orchestration for the Beethoven and Saint Saens 3. And Tchaik.

October 24, 2007 at 01:49 PM · Barber

October 24, 2007 at 04:04 PM · All the Mozart violin concerti have the typical (i.e. good) Mozart orchestration.

October 24, 2007 at 06:26 PM · shostakovich violin concerto, by far.

October 24, 2007 at 06:26 PM · I have to go with Brahms on this one. It's amazing how the solo violin weaves it's way through the orchestra. Plus, the colors in the second movement are like a dream!

October 24, 2007 at 07:07 PM · I'm surprised Prokofiev hasn't come up yet. Just played the second with Mullova last week (or rather wasn't needed in the reduced orchestra and heard it live three nights in a row), and both of them have fantastic orchestral colours and voicing.

October 24, 2007 at 07:12 PM · Beethoven for sure!

October 24, 2007 at 10:36 PM · Greetings,

of thwe warhorses I would say Mendelssohn and Sibelius. How could one not say Mozarts orchestration was sublime either.

The problem I have with the Brahms it is not exactly friendly to the solosit. That puts it perilously close ot bad orchestration in cocnerto terms for me.Then ther e is the quesiton of the oboe solo.....

Cheers,

Buri

October 25, 2007 at 12:04 AM · vieuxtemps 4.. beautiful symphonic work

October 25, 2007 at 01:29 AM · Shostakovich

Sibelius

Mendelssohn

Glazunov

Shostakovich really interacts with and supports the violin part, whereas I see Glazunov as being a wonderful tonal/coloring backdrop. Sib and Mendelssohn fall somewhere inbetween.But each is fantasic in its own way.

October 25, 2007 at 01:49 AM · Mendelsohn

All the way. I love the way its scored cuz' I mean who doesnt

October 27, 2007 at 05:49 PM · I really love the orchestrations in the Rózsa concerto

I am extremely curious about Gubaidulina´s second violin concerto as well

Would love to hear it

October 27, 2007 at 06:18 PM · Maybe the question ought to be, who DOESN'T have great orchestration?

Oh, and did anyone mention Nielsen?

October 27, 2007 at 08:32 PM · Who doesn't have great orchestration? I'm going to get blasted for saying this: Paganini.

October 27, 2007 at 08:39 PM · Another vote for Mendelssohn. That concerto is so incredibly well-written . . .

October 27, 2007 at 09:32 PM · ditto.

October 28, 2007 at 12:12 AM · Brahms.

October 28, 2007 at 03:45 AM · Votes for Sibelius, Mendelssohn, and Shostakovich myself, in no particular order.

October 30, 2007 at 07:14 PM · Bach and Brahms most of all, i liked the way marty described it, how poetic and very true

Ive heard Vieuxtemps 4 described as a symphony with violin solos so i should probably mention that also

psss i looooove the glazunov

October 30, 2007 at 08:24 PM · Sibelius!!!!!!!

October 31, 2007 at 02:17 PM · Brahms and Prokofiev (both)

October 31, 2007 at 10:13 PM · almost forgot about stravinsky. his concerto is so beautiful! i love the combination of woodwinds (flute!), brass (trombone) and violin solo!!! its just so beautiful!!!!! who woulda thunk it :)

November 1, 2007 at 01:59 PM · I love all the ones mentioned, but wanted to add Korngold 1st mvt especially.

November 1, 2007 at 10:01 PM · Sibelius then tchaikovsky then brahms

December 16, 2007 at 10:11 PM · Mendelssohn, Brahms, Sibelius (in no particular order).

December 16, 2007 at 10:41 PM · Berlioz might have written interesting concertos.

December 16, 2007 at 11:21 PM · Brahms Double Concerto (violin & cello)

December 16, 2007 at 11:37 PM · Greetings,

>Berlioz might have written interesting concertos

Yep. Harold in Italy is heaidng in tha direction although his earlier attempt, `John in Chipping Sodbury` was less successful.

Cheers,

Buri

December 17, 2007 at 03:25 AM · I don't think it's been mentioned in this thread yet, but there is that wonderful moment towards the end of the slow movement of the Saint-Saens Third Violin Concerto with the bass clarinet and the violin soloist in harmonics. To quote the author of the program notes from a 2003 St. Louis Symphony concert:

"Its closing measures offer an extraordinary sonority: harmonics for the solo violin doubled, in a lower register, by the clarinet. This unusual timbre has hardly any parallel in the orchestral literature, and certainly not in that of the nineteenth century."

December 17, 2007 at 04:13 AM · Ronald,

That's definately a great moment, a really beautiful part if it's played well. To me, it's the only really good part of the concerto, the part I look forward to most.

It's also not something you'd expect from that time period. It reminds one of something that would have come much later.

December 17, 2007 at 09:33 AM · Ronald, not wanting to draw attention, but, I mentioned the SS3 back in October. (mumbles away..) And I agree with you.

December 17, 2007 at 01:09 PM · I also agree with the Britten violin concerto's orchestration particularly in the second movement, but I'd like to add the Ligeti violin concerto's orchestration, and also the Stravinsky violin concerto. All three are so brilliant in how they choose to achieve textural effects with the instruments of the orchestra. All one has to do is listen to the opening of the Ligeti concerto, and you'll see what I mean.

December 17, 2007 at 05:25 PM · >I don't think it's been mentioned in this thread yet, but there is that wonderful moment towards the end of the slow movement of the Saint-Saens Third Violin Concerto with the bass clarinet and the violin soloist in harmonics. To quote the author of the program notes from a 2003 St. Louis Symphony concert:

"Its closing measures offer an extraordinary sonority: harmonics for the solo violin doubled, in a lower register, by the clarinet. This unusual timbre has hardly any parallel in the orchestral literature, and certainly not in that of the nineteenth century."

I love love love the 2nd movement and would have to agree that it blows away the rest of the concerto (although I like the 3rd movement as well). It's like listening to heaven. And that harmonics moment - wow. I will listen to the 2nd movement over and over and over. In fact, I'm going to write my next blog on this very subject.

Thanks for bringing it up, Ronald (and let's not forget to give Sharelle past credit, then, too!).

December 17, 2007 at 06:59 PM · Brahms: Second movement is just gorgeous plus who but Johannes would jump a seventh and make it so beautiful?

Max--

Giuseppe Verdi in Aida last scene, "O terra addio"

December 17, 2007 at 07:29 PM · Oh sorry Sharelle, I did not notice- my fault- glad you brought it up- it is a great moment!

December 17, 2007 at 08:33 PM · [grin]

And thank you.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Los Angeles Philharmonic
Los Angeles Philharmonic