The Best Edition of the Paganini Caprices?

October 19, 2007 at 03:58 AM · Does any one have an opinion on which edition of the Paganini Caprices is the Best? I need to buy it soon so I would like to by the Best Edition.

Replies (20)

October 19, 2007 at 03:58 AM · A friend recommended the Curci edition edited by Franco Gulli, and I like it a lot. It's quite thoughtful, seems to be a faithful effort to follow the manuscript.

Unfortunately it's a little hard to get unless you live in, say Florence! (Thank you again, Janet!) It did eventually show up from Haus der Musik, but it took months.

October 19, 2007 at 04:13 AM · I've used the Flesch edition for years. Some of the notes in that edition are actually different from the manuscript so be sure to take a look at the manuscript too if you get the Flesch edition.

October 19, 2007 at 05:46 AM · I've used Flesch and Galamian, depending on the caprice.

October 19, 2007 at 06:37 AM · Renato de Barbieri is the urtext version. Some fingerings are a bit off, but most are very thoughtful and the book finishs off with a discussion of every single caprice with a comparison of different editions and the facsimile.

October 19, 2007 at 07:13 AM · Ruggiero Ricci has a very good one. I think the publisher is Edition Musica Budapest. Definitely a good one to have.

October 19, 2007 at 08:35 AM · I know that the one by Accardo (Ricordi edition)is one of the closest to the original manuscript in Genoa. Actually I have photostatic copies of the original manuscript and it is very similar for bowing and notes staccati and so on.

By the way Flesh (Peters) was a master of fingering so it is pretty good for fingering.

You can buy both and mix the fingering in Flesh with the manuscripts in the Accardo's one.

Antonio

October 19, 2007 at 02:56 PM · How can I get the Ricordi edition?

October 19, 2007 at 09:37 PM · I think the Flesch edition is somewhat out-of-date in bowings and fingerings and have been superseded by the newer and better editions like the Galamian et al.

October 19, 2007 at 08:02 PM · I agree with you just for some caprices but the most of fingerings is correct so Flesh edition is pretty good

October 20, 2007 at 06:30 PM · PAGANINI, Niccolo (1782-1840)

Caprices for Violin Solo (24),Op.1(Urtext)(Accardo).

Pub. RICORDI MILAN

ER2876 violin $35.00

--------------------------------------------

Caprices for Violin Solo (24), Op. 1

Ed.: Alberto Cantù, Ed.: Renato de Barbieri, Ed.: Ernst Herttrich,

Fing. Vl.: Renato de Barbieri

Violin part without and with annotations.

Pub. G. HENLE

Sample pages | Preface | Critical Commentary

HN00450 violin solo $47.95

------------------------------------------

Caprices for Violin Solo (24), Op. 1 (Hertel).

Urtext

Pub. C.F. PETERS

EP9979 violin $ 19.75

---------------------------------------—

Caprices for Violin Solo (24), Op. 1 (Flesch).

Pub. C.F. PETERS

EP1984 violin $11.95

——————————

Caprices for Violin Solo (24), Op. 1 (Flesch).

Pub.INTERNATIONAL MUSIC COMPANY

IMC00582 violin $16.50

———————————-

Caprices for Violin Solo (24), Op. 1 (Galamian).

Pub.INTERNATIONAL MUSIC (IMC)

IMC02292 violin $20.50

------------------—

http://www.edizionicurci.it/printed-music/index.asp

24 Capricci op. 1

Autore: paganini nicolò (Rev. F. Gulli)

Materia: strumenti ad arco (violino)

Codice: EC10491 - Prezzo: 12,50€ (iva incl.)

http://www.edizionicurci.it/printed-music/scheda.asp?id=388&cosa=Paganini

Pub. Curci

==============

Paganini, N. / Schumann, R.

EP 4497A24 Caprices with Piano accompaniment Vol.1

Vln—Pf $26.50

EP 4497B24 Caprices with Piano accompaniment Vol.2

Vln—Pf $26.50

Pub. C. F. PETERS

All publisher prices subject to change daily!

Order from any good music dealer.

October 21, 2007 at 12:50 PM · For the sake of completeness there was also a Schirmer edition edited by Harold Berkeley.

October 22, 2007 at 01:44 AM · I was waiting for someone to mention the Berkley edition, and I'm glad it was Mr. Corpus. Now I don't feel as though I have to defend myself. I use Berkley's Dont and Rode editions also. He has really changed my ideas about fingering.

February 14, 2014 at 11:08 PM · I am trying to get a copy of Michelangelo Abbado's "Come Studiare i Capricci di Paganini" (how to study the Paganini caprices) Published by Edizioni Suvini Zerboni-Milano 1973. I presume it is out of print. I got a copy via interlibrary loan, but would like to have my own copy since I am working on a practice method for the Paganini caprices. Does anyone know where I might find it? Thanks, Bruce

February 15, 2014 at 04:59 AM · I got mine from:

http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title/come-studiare-i-capricci-di-paganini-sheet-music/19505226

February 15, 2014 at 02:51 PM · Thanks Mattias. I can now return my copy to the library. Have you found certain exercises which have been especially helpful? For instance in caprice 24 playing the left hand pizz section arco on the string and slurred in groups of 4.

February 15, 2014 at 09:23 PM · Sure! My favorites is practicing the bowings on open strings. Something I have cheated my way out of to often...

February 16, 2014 at 02:58 AM · The Abbado book has some really great things in it. I've used that book to help with number 4 recently, but the book is great for all of them (except for some of the fingerings).

August 24, 2014 at 07:46 PM · Which urtext version is better, Barenreiter or Henle? I want one with no fingerings or added bowings. The Peters I think has fingerings. Thanks

August 24, 2014 at 07:51 PM · Personally prefer the Barenreiter edition but have known a lot who prefer the Henle. >.<

August 25, 2014 at 05:54 AM · In my opinion:

-manuscript to know what he actually wrote (free)

-accardo edition for very good fingerings/markings

-cheap/free unmarked editions for personal use/study (write in corrections using the manuscript)

don't waste your money on urtext editions...that will NEVER be the deal breaker for playing Paganini well :)

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Los Angeles Philharmonic
Los Angeles Philharmonic