good violin repair person in Atlanta area

October 10, 2007 at 01:41 AM · Just had moved to south for a job.

Anybody know a good repair person in the Atlanta area? My violin has got some openings in the front and also I'm in desperate need of bow rehair as well. I don't really care if the shop is small or big, as long as the luthier is "good".

Replies (23)

October 10, 2007 at 11:00 AM · Huthmaker Violins in Duluth GA.....always been happy with their work..

David Blackmon

October 10, 2007 at 12:18 PM · I recommend Staphanie Voss - she does a lovely job. She also repairs by appointment so she'll tell you exactly when she'll be done (usually the day you drop it off). Her website is stephanievossviolins.com. Really nice person too.

If you go with Huthmaker's, you might have to wait without the violin for weeks. They're fine if you hve an extra violin/bow, but since I don't, if I go to them my hands are tied for awhile :(

October 10, 2007 at 06:29 PM · I personally like Reginald Williams at Williams Gengaki violins more than Mrs. Voss but that again in just what i think.

October 12, 2007 at 10:23 AM · Reggie William's shop is great, just be prepared to shell out some dough.

October 12, 2007 at 10:25 AM · By the way, does Stephanie Voss do rehairs?

October 12, 2007 at 02:03 PM · Amanda - yes.

October 12, 2007 at 02:18 PM · Call the Atlanta Symphony and ask them who their people use.

October 12, 2007 at 03:33 PM · If you call the ASO, then you will find out almost everybody uses Stephanie Voss. Seriously, she is probably the best luthier in Atlanta.

October 13, 2007 at 02:41 AM · Stephanie Voss has impressed me several times with her ethics, service, and pricing. If I recall, my instructor trusted her to steam a dent out of his 1785 Storioni. I have to say that I feel there is some inconsistency in her rehairs, but I go back to her nonetheless because she is reliable and accessible

You could also try Ronald Sachs - I hear he does a good rehair job - I have been planning on trying him for just that...

October 13, 2007 at 12:01 PM · Both Voss and Sachs are both good.

October 14, 2007 at 04:22 AM · Stephanie Voss is wonderful.

October 14, 2007 at 05:34 AM · Steve Perry in Tennessee at Giannas is most excellent. Just a little further from Montgomery than ATL but worth the trip. He services the classical and folk markets; his reputation is excellent and his work is almost magic. I know nothing of ATL but you owe it to yourself to talk to Steve. By the way, welcome to Montgomery.

October 14, 2007 at 10:23 PM · Reginald Williams to me is still more the extra money. My friends Tononi violin came back from WGV sounding better that I think it has had since it was frist played for me.

October 15, 2007 at 01:05 AM · Hey, I didn't realize you were in Montgomery. That's my hometown! Are you one of the new Symphony Fellows? And what do you think of Montgomery, by the way?

And J Brunson, Ramer was my grandma's hometown... do you know the old closed down shop there? I think it's on a crossroads. Anyways, my great grandfather owned that shop. I think my only relative in Ramer who is still alive is my great uncle Junior. I think his last name is Johns. Do you know him?

October 15, 2007 at 01:25 AM · We are on a Ramer rural route... about 10 miles form Ramer. I do know the name tho. Ramer is kinda liek a time machine... it has changed very little in the past 60 years

October 15, 2007 at 08:31 AM · I haven't been there in years, but I imagine it hasn't changed much. My grandma said she used to see Hank Williams play shows there all the time, back before he got really big.

October 15, 2007 at 10:56 AM · By the way, J Brunson, is your family originally from the Ramer area (or South Alabama in general)? Who knows, maybe we're related!

October 15, 2007 at 12:39 PM · Hank is buried in Montgomery; but his son "Jr." has a farm about 4 miles from me. My pateranl grandmother was from Crenshaw county just south of Ramer.

October 18, 2007 at 01:15 AM · I have to second the endorsement for Regie Williams at Williams Gengakki. Have had nothing but great results from work done there and the staff is always very friendly.

March 8, 2010 at 04:21 PM ·

My  goodness! Why has no one mentioned Boguslav Kieta in Atlanta? Trained with Jacque Francais in New York??

March 8, 2010 at 04:21 PM ·

My  goodness! Why has no one mentioned Boguslav Kieta in Atlanta? Trained with Jacque Francais in New York??

March 10, 2010 at 02:14 AM ·

Boguslaw Kieta is pretty good. I actually got my current violin from him.

March 10, 2010 at 08:12 PM · Pablo Alfaro is excellent & is probably the luthier most used by ASO members. http://alfaroviolins.com/pdf/fixated_pa.pdf

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases