Horoscopes and Music

October 9, 2007 at 05:06 AM · What is your birth sign? Does it have any meaning for you in your music? I'm Scorpio, and so forth, but do not even read my horoscopes.... How about you? Buri?, Laurie? Caeli? .....

Replies (38)

October 9, 2007 at 05:43 AM · Well since you asked, I'm a Pisces. That's the sign with the fishies. I do think it reflects my personality at least a little -- the good news is I can go with the flow, but on the flip side, I also can get carried away by the current. Maybe it makes me a good orchestra player. As a teacher, I tend to be less of a rote trainer and more interested in motivating students to do a lot for themselves.

October 9, 2007 at 05:56 AM · Laurie, I bet you're good at scales then. (*ba-dump pssshhh!*)

I'm a Taurus, but unfortunately I seem to have gotten more of the pigheaded-stubborn side of that sign rather than the intense-concentration side. Ugh...

October 9, 2007 at 06:42 AM · Laurie must be good with duets too.

Mara they sent the Taurus intense-concentration side my way but can slip into stubborn mode if not careful.

October 9, 2007 at 06:48 AM · HAH!

Actually I really *am* into scales...I guess it's nature not nurture, eh? I always blamed Jim Maurer for my serious scale habit.

My sister is a Taurus!

October 9, 2007 at 06:52 AM · Mara, somehow I knew in my heart you were a Taurus! ;)...

Laurie--I could use some Pisces qualities to balance my intensity... I'm a true Scorpio.

October 9, 2007 at 07:13 AM · My hubby is a Scorpio, too. But what are the typical Scorpio characteristics?

October 9, 2007 at 07:43 AM · I'm a Taurus. Stubborn, driven, concentrated, whatever.

October 9, 2007 at 07:50 AM · Intense. Passionate. Creative. World greatest saints and worst sinners.

October 9, 2007 at 09:46 AM · I'm a Sagittarius, but the only Sagittarius characteristic that comes up consistently that I really relate to is love of travel. There's a website that says Sagittarians are in the "House of Long Distance Journeys. It's about foreign travel, higher education -- for that's travel in the mind and the potential adventure that the future holds." Yes.

October 9, 2007 at 11:24 AM · Both Kreisler and Heifetz are aquarius, I believe.

Ihnsouk

October 9, 2007 at 12:35 PM · I'm also a Scorpio. We're obsessive, which comes in handy when you're learning violin.

October 9, 2007 at 05:46 PM · Obsessive in a good way Shailee, but definitely.

October 9, 2007 at 06:01 PM · I don't read my horoscope, but I'm Leo and a Dragon too, which should be a dynamite, powerhouse combination. Hmm, why am I not running the country.

And this thread would suggest that being born in August would help with the violin, but somehow it doesn't apply for me.

Although I don't take any of this stuff seriously, one of my Chinese Malaysian friends has done some subtle brainwashing. My house number adds up to 8, which is the number for prosperity, and my last place was also 8. She believes this means that I am loaded (which is not true), but I'm now concerned that if I move house, my financial situation will deteriorate.

October 9, 2007 at 06:08 PM · Yoo Hoo, Laurie,

Evidently there is great speculation about when your birthday is...

October 9, 2007 at 06:32 PM · No need to speculate, just ask the psychic Yixi;)

October 9, 2007 at 06:42 PM · I'm a birthday twin of the most famous living violinist; same day and year. You want proof of astrology, there it is.

October 9, 2007 at 09:15 PM · It's on Feb. 21, and I'm going to be...40!

I expect you will all come to Pasadena from across the world and throw me an outrageous party, yes?

October 9, 2007 at 09:36 PM · OH MY GOD! THE 4---0!

October 9, 2007 at 09:58 PM · Jim - My daughter beats you on the twin birthday game. She shares the birthday with Kreisler as well as Heifetz. Whether this proves or disproves astrology, I wouldn't know.

Ihnsouk

October 9, 2007 at 10:12 PM · Nah, I got the year thing going too. That's where the real astrological power is.

October 9, 2007 at 10:54 PM · Thank you, Laurie!

October 9, 2007 at 11:31 PM · Jim - Oh, I see. That'll be hard to beat. Who's this violinist? Perelman?

Ihnsouk

October 9, 2007 at 11:44 PM · Nah! Younger!

October 10, 2007 at 12:12 AM · Ooops, Excuse me!

Ihnsouk

October 10, 2007 at 12:28 AM · Jim--Joshua Bell?

I was born on the exact day that the Chinese students began their pro-democracy protest on Tianenmen Square. And I've always had an overdeveloped sense of political idealism (just shout "Liberte, Egalite, Fraternite!" and watch me get all choked up) and a rebel streak a mile wide, sooo....

October 10, 2007 at 12:31 AM · My birthday is also one day after Emil Chudnovsky's (different year though.) :-)

October 10, 2007 at 05:55 AM · I was born the day past Halloween--a sure hallowed moment! I suggest all parents give out candy on Halloween.

October 10, 2007 at 08:23 PM · It's one of the Brits, Jim, isn't it? Vanessa Mae. That would explain a lot.

Or could it be our Nige?...

October 10, 2007 at 09:31 PM · He's not telling apparently.

October 10, 2007 at 09:50 PM · Jim already told us. I think it's Perelman. Or am I trying too hard to be a mind reader?

Ihnsouk

October 11, 2007 at 06:28 AM · I think it's Andre Rieu.

October 11, 2007 at 08:47 AM · Hee hee, I know who it is.

October 11, 2007 at 12:04 PM · I'm a Pisces too, Laurie. Fish of a feather must swim together, or something like that.

October 11, 2007 at 03:19 PM · Emily--give it up already!! ;)>

Kimberlee--you keep good company.

(dancing an irish jig--I got Emily and Kimberlee right this time!;))

October 11, 2007 at 04:07 PM · Taurus here. Nothing violinist to add, but the doctor that delivered me is running for president right now. Dr. Ron Paul (Not particularly interested in his winning though.)

October 11, 2007 at 05:46 PM · I'm writing in Brivati for president. Or Mara...

October 11, 2007 at 06:05 PM · How in the heck could you possibly deduce I'm a Pisces, Albert?

October 11, 2007 at 08:06 PM · Simple--I asked psych Yixi.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Los Angeles Philharmonic
Los Angeles Philharmonic