Quartet Name--we're still working on it!

October 7, 2007 at 02:50 PM · Thanks for all of your suggestions! Many of them have already been taken by other established quartets, and a few won't work for other reasons, so we are still looking.

Here are some names we're thinking of-- opinions? Any suggestions for names are still appreciated!

Persephone Quartet

In Greek mythology, Persephone was the Queen of the Underworld, consort of Hades, the Kore or young maiden, and the daughter of Demeter— and Zeus, in the Olympian version.

(It's pronounced "per-SEF-uh-nee")

Renate/Renata Quartet -- meaning "reborn"

Another idea, which might make more sense for a string quartet, would be to name it after Ginette Neveu, who was destined to be the world's greatest violinist (according to a lot of people) when she was killed in a plane crash at age 30.

Replies (43)

October 7, 2007 at 04:08 PM · If you need to tell us how to pronounce a name, it may not be the best choice.

gc

October 7, 2007 at 05:29 PM · None of those names should be used, Caeli. I do NOT like Persophone. I totally agree with Graham. Try of thinking of a name that flows easily off your tongue. "Seraphina" flowed really well, but if you want a different name, try the "Storioni" quartet. (Storioni was considered the last of the great Cremonese makers). I personally would lead toward an Italian maker's name for your quartet name. Maybe, "Maggini", "Gofriller", "Gagliano", "Guadagnini", "Bergonzi". These are my thoughts. (I hate my quartet's name, and I'm beginning to just not like the way our quartet is going,playing wise, period. We might take Storioni for a new name to inspire us, but since you are in a different state, it won't matter if you pick the same name.) I hope that this helps you out!

October 7, 2007 at 05:48 PM · How about:

The Vivaldi String (or Spring) Quartet

The Vibrato String Quartet

The Four Pizzicattos (check spelling)

October 7, 2007 at 07:24 PM · The Neveu Quartet--I LOVE IT!! Brilliant idea!

Any ideas for a clarinet trio's name? I might be in one soon... ;-)

October 7, 2007 at 07:59 PM · I like the "Neveu Quartet." She was a pioneering violinist who was a woman, so is appropriately symbolic for a teenage female quartet.

BTW, "neveu" means nephew in French.

And people "in the know" will appreciate your recognizing her brief but vivid legacy.

The Greek names to me are a little pretentious, better to not take oneself too seriously, IMHO. It's not easy to be taken seriously as a teenager in the states so it's probably better to "low key it." (which is why I liked "Filly Quartet" :) )

October 7, 2007 at 09:04 PM · I like Neveu, but think Americans will be afraid to try to pronounce it.

For the clarinet trio, "Windfall", which means literally fruit blown down by the wind (so you don't have to climb up and pick it) and figuratively a sudden gust of good fortune.

October 7, 2007 at 09:21 PM · Please! Don't let fears of linguistically inept Americans scare you away from a great quartet name! (I've heard soooo many ridiculous pronunciations of "Takacs"...) ;-)

For my clarinet trio, all I could think of was Not The Prima Trio...Oberlin joke, long story.

October 7, 2007 at 09:29 PM · E. - What's the literary term for an unintended secondary meaning? I used to have a great article about this. The subject of it was art photography actually, which uses the same devices as literature.

October 7, 2007 at 10:32 PM · Double entendre?

October 7, 2007 at 10:34 PM · just play !

and forget about the name!

October 7, 2007 at 10:47 PM · No, it's a technical word that I don't remember seeing anywhere else. The thing that made me think of it was "Windfall", where it might apply to the "fall" part of it. I.e. a fallen wind player :) I said unintended before, but it can be intentional too.

October 7, 2007 at 10:55 PM · The Philadelphia Wire Choir

October 7, 2007 at 11:18 PM · My vote is for the "Neveu Quartet" also. I like it a lot.

October 7, 2007 at 11:24 PM · How about Con Suono

October 7, 2007 at 11:18 PM · Jim, your question is driving me crazy because I think there is such a word, but I can't remember it. Meanwhile, here are some literary-term inspired quartet names:

Synecdoche: "The Pegs"

Metaplasmus: "Kwartet"

Metonymy "The Rosin Sisters"

Caesura: "The---

--Quartet"

Apostrophe: "O Quartet!"

Oxymoron: "Quartet In-Tune"

Onomatopoeia: "Squeak"

Neologism: "Seraphina"

Okay, that's silly enough for one evening.

October 8, 2007 at 02:17 AM · Oh, there is such a word. It's driven me crazy intermittently since about 1987. Why did we ever throw away our stacks of photocopied articles... Overestimating the internet, probably.

October 8, 2007 at 01:40 PM · (un)intended secondary meaning - polysemy or polyvalent?

phonosphere-quartet

impetus-quartet

Echo-quartet (though her end is a bit sad)

Maybe just a greek letter: kappa-quartet

October 8, 2007 at 02:31 PM · E, you left out tautology: "The four piece quartet"

My four-piece is called "Four Candles" (fork handles)

hee heee

gc

October 8, 2007 at 02:44 PM · There's actually a band called "Persephone's Bees"

If people don't know how to pronounce Persephone, that's just silly.

October 8, 2007 at 03:09 PM · Well, if you are going to just keep it all girls, just go with a very simple soft image.

Roses and Lace

Four Satin

October 8, 2007 at 03:10 PM · Mischa, I'm not a linguist, but polysemy seems to be a broader linguistic term than the literary term Jim was looking for. Although it fits the bill... polysemy seems to be when a word or phrase has multiple, discrete meanings, but it excludes homonyms like bow and bow. So it's like, I was _floor[ed]_ when you dropped your bow on the _floor_. That's not a literay device, though; it's just a linguistic phenomenon. I wonder if there is a separate category for a word like "cleave", which means itself and its opposite.

I like your suggestion "impetus".

October 8, 2007 at 08:36 PM · It looks like polysemy needs multiple related meanings, and I think the meanings must be literal. The word I was wondering about is about or includes all the possible symbolic meanings, and with no requirement that any meanings be related. I think a light would go off if I saw the word, but I'm not sure. Been a long time.

October 8, 2007 at 10:06 PM · I think I'd vote for the Renata Quartet. It's got such a positive and hopeful meaning, and it doesn't tie you to any specific person in history, or instruments you don't own, etc. It's easy to pronounce, has a nice lilt. I've never heard of a quartet with that name, either.

I think some faculty members at Northwestern have a Storioni ensemble, and maybe one of them actually plays on a Storioni!

October 9, 2007 at 03:19 AM · The Caeli Quattuor

October 9, 2007 at 05:36 AM · that sounds like an Irish Folk group

October 9, 2007 at 03:23 PM · I don't know how your fellow musicians would feel, but your own name would be incredibly productive: (presumably) from Latin caelum, heaven -this would let out Persephone as she is definitely Underworld, and by the way it's bad luck to say her name. The preferred euphemism is Kore. Back to Caeli - there's also the verb caelare, adorn or engrave, which allows for puns with celare, conceal. Finally, remember Ovid's adage, ars est celare artem - the art is to conceal the art. Anyhow, it's a beautiful name, even if you don't want to name your whole quartet after yourself.

October 9, 2007 at 04:46 PM · Here's another vote for "Renata Quartet".

October 9, 2007 at 05:36 PM · After Renata the hearing aid battery company? I like it!

October 9, 2007 at 05:45 PM · Neveu is still the best.

October 9, 2007 at 07:29 PM · The death maidens

October 10, 2007 at 01:58 AM · The Lively Ladies

October 10, 2007 at 02:06 AM · NKOTS

New Kids On The Stage

Masthead (In honor of the 1st chair's journalistic aspirations)

Topgallant

Four Fine Femmes Fatale

Vivaldi Vixens

October 10, 2007 at 02:06 AM · Persephone Polyphony.

October 10, 2007 at 02:10 AM · I like Michael Darnton's suggestion: "Philadelphia Wire Choir". That way, at least half the audience gets snookered in to the show, doubling ticket sales, and in the end they go tell their friends how great it was and soon enough we see Oprah on "From the Top."

October 10, 2007 at 02:28 AM · I think Neveu is a wonderful idea. What an honor to her short career.

October 10, 2007 at 04:19 AM · It will also be nice to tell people what the name Neveu is all about; instead of, "BLAH is Latin or Greek for BLAH, which comes from BLAH, which means BLAH."

October 10, 2007 at 04:37 AM · Greetings,

small but serious point. The name is great (assuming the family is okay with itor whatever) but you might get some wags at some point calling you the `never` quartet- assuming for example you consistently came second in a slew of international quartet competitons,

Cheers,

Buri

October 10, 2007 at 04:44 AM · Easily fixed. Call it the Ginette Quartet. Rhymes even...

October 10, 2007 at 04:29 AM · I like Renata, and I like Ginette. The rhyme is great.

In the previous thread, I also liked the hip names, like iStrings and threshold 4.0.

Or, consider something totally impossible, like "chutney ice cream".

Considering this is a teenage quartet, I have two more thoughts that would influence my pick:

1. how likely is it that this group survives when they all start going to college in a couple of years?

2. it is hard to be taken seriously in the US when 'underaged'.

My bottom line: Take a light name and have fun with it. Pick something that represents the group and its members NOW.

-vk

October 10, 2007 at 04:50 AM · Parthenian has a nice sound....it's from the same greek root as Parthenon....

October 11, 2007 at 08:55 AM · I thought of a really good one, but I like it so much I think I'm going to save it. It's my favorite star.

Sorry.

October 11, 2007 at 03:44 PM · "I thought of a really good one, but I like it so much I think I'm going to save it. It's my favorite star."

Betelgeuse or Zubenelgenubi?

October 11, 2007 at 03:50 PM · Persephone is somewhat sinister. I wouldn't recommend it.

If you're still considering Greek mythology, how about the Hippocrene Quartet? Hippocrene was the fountain or spring of the Muses on Mt. Helicon, supposedly created by the hoof of Pegasus. It means "horse spring" in Greek. Or how about the Pegasus Quartet? No associations except a winged horse and a constellation, but a pleasing name and easy to pronounce. Three names of Muses that might do well as quartet names: Terpsichore (associated with dance), Calliope and Euterpe. (In each case the final "e"s are not silent. The final "e" in Hippocrene can be silent or pronounced, as you please.)

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Los Angeles Philharmonic
Los Angeles Philharmonic