Quartet name needed!

September 30, 2007 at 04:40 AM · Hi everyone! I'm forming a new quartet and we need a name ASAP. We've had a bunch of good ideas but I thought it would be fun to hear suggestions from all of you!

Here's the criteria: we're an all-girl, teenaged quartet. We want a name that stands out, but is not so "edgy" that no one will hire us. We are in philadelphia, so a name that relates to our city might be good, but most of the names we can think of seem to be taken! We are shying away from names that indicate musical markings, such as Vivace or Allegro, since these seem to be overdone.

All suggestions very much appreciated!

Replies (102)

September 30, 2007 at 05:23 AM · Well, since you're an all female group I guess the "brotherly love" quartet is out of the question.

September 30, 2007 at 05:34 AM · The Cheese Steak Quartet

The Adelfi quartet

Adelfi means girl in greek

September 30, 2007 at 05:28 AM · I feel that the name of a group, or of any entity such as a school or a corporation, should in some way reflect who you are and what you do. What makes your group unique? Do you plan to specialize in a certain kind of repertoire? Is there something about your approach to music, or your concerts that distinguishes you from other quartets? Does your group identity come from being all teenage all girls? Groups are sometimes named after a place or a school. Everybody understands why the Juilliard Quartet is so named. It needs no explanation. On the other hand, there was a group called the Beethoven Quartet. That name conveys nothing, since practically every quartet plays Beethoven.

September 30, 2007 at 05:34 AM · Hmm, this is really off on a tangent, but I picked up on the delphi part of Philadelphia, and that sparked something in me. There's an ancient site in Greece called Delphi where they held the Pythian Games every 4 years (similar to the Olympic Games which was held at the base of Mount Olympus). The Pythian Games were held to honour the god Apollo, who (among other things) happens to be the leader of the Muses, Choir director, and god of music and poetry.

Wow, I'm kinda discovering this as I go along, but I'm thinking that perhaps the Apollo Quartet might be a good name.

September 30, 2007 at 05:47 AM · nvm

September 30, 2007 at 05:53 AM · or 'Femidelphia'

September 30, 2007 at 06:01 AM · Agathos Quartet

September 30, 2007 at 02:27 PM · "Philadelphia" brings to mind several things: first steak sandwiches, then birch beer, and of course TastyKakes. After that:

"The Franklin String Quartet", after Ben.

"The Rocky Balboa String Quartet", or "The Yo, Adrian String Quartet". Just kidding.

"The Thomas Eakins String Quartet", or "The Eakins String Quartet".

Have fun!

September 30, 2007 at 02:55 PM · While we're coming up with Greek names, I must plug for my favorite Greek god, Prometheus...there's a nice analogy between Prometheus bringing the fire of the gods to mortals and musicians bringing the genius works of the great masters to the public...:) Plus, "Prometheus Quartet" sounds pretty nifty. :)

September 30, 2007 at 03:18 PM · An all girl teenaged quartet from Philadelphia.

How about the "Filly" quartet?

September 30, 2007 at 03:28 PM · *GROAN*

September 30, 2007 at 03:30 PM · "Seraphina"? :) :)

Neil

September 30, 2007 at 03:37 PM · I'm thinking that was her old quartet?

September 30, 2007 at 03:37 PM · God, I HATE coming up with names. But if we're going Greek and all-fem, why not Pandora? "All-Gifted". Sounds rather flattering. Just try to steer interviewers clear of the whole box...misunderstanding. You can use the official administration line: "Mistakes were made".

September 30, 2007 at 04:37 PM · "Deborah's Whisper"

Mrs. Benjamin Franklin.

September 30, 2007 at 05:43 PM · I like Pandora because you can spin it as "the group that plays out of the box."

Prometheus, on the other hand brings to mind images of suffering--as if hearing your quartet were like having your liver eaten by a vulture day after day.

September 30, 2007 at 05:56 PM ·

September 30, 2007 at 09:56 PM · Pandora...out of the box....*giggling*...that's classic!

September 30, 2007 at 11:10 PM · “4 Score” - ...and you must dress up like Abraham Lincoln

September 30, 2007 at 11:11 PM · except half the universe will think this has somehting to do either with sex or football.

September 30, 2007 at 11:17 PM · what do you think about Philly cheese steak?

September 30, 2007 at 11:43 PM · doh...

October 1, 2007 at 01:23 AM · re?

October 1, 2007 at 01:45 AM · "in philadelphia, so a name that relates to our city might be good"

Something 1700s patriotic. "The Founding Little Sisters" would be good. You want them to feel like they've turned their back on their nation if they don't hire you.

October 1, 2007 at 01:56 AM · Liberty Quartet?

Liberty Bell's Quartet

The Bell's Quartet

think liberty? :)

October 1, 2007 at 01:59 AM · The Donovan McNabb Quartet!

October 1, 2007 at 02:07 AM · The Arlen Specter Quartet

October 1, 2007 at 02:50 AM · I like Apollo as a name, but he was male, and I think that eliminates it. I like Pandora because she's a female and she brought us hope. I also suggest Les Jeunes Filles Quartet. It's true, and the words have a pretty sound.

October 1, 2007 at 03:08 AM · I KNOW! "the Quadstackers" no just kidding.

How about "Feminine four" or "New Age String Quartet" (sort of long but it's on the border of too long!)?

October 1, 2007 at 03:38 AM · "Arlen Specter "

Good, but they'd only fill one side of the aisle.

October 1, 2007 at 04:43 AM · 4Tuna..

Fourtuna

October 1, 2007 at 04:39 AM · I second Terry's idea...The Filly Quartet! It's genius, I say, genius!

October 1, 2007 at 04:43 AM · The Parthenian Quartet

(of or pertaining to virgins)

October 1, 2007 at 04:46 AM · The Filly Quartet WINS !!!!

October 1, 2007 at 12:38 PM · To me, Filly sounds Philly. Philly doesn't inspire me refinement.

Ihnsouk

October 1, 2007 at 12:11 PM · How about...

The FTG Quartet

(Four Teenaged Girls)

October 1, 2007 at 12:16 PM · The Rittenhouse Quartet?

The Pierian Quartet?

(Pieria was the mountain where the Muses were supposed to reside.)

October 1, 2007 at 12:44 PM · "Time For Four". That'll get you confused with that other group and you'll get extra gigs. They might be square dances, but hey it's work.

October 1, 2007 at 12:48 PM · How about:

SHE strings

Elle quartet

Next Door Four (as in girl next door?)

Stilleto Strings (ha ha ha)

Fearsome Foursome (okay, I'm just gonna stop now)

Okay, so I'm not gifted in this area, but maybe my brainstorming effort will get Caeli on the right track? Caeli--think "superhero" yeah--that's the right tack--too bad "fantastic four" is already taken.

October 1, 2007 at 03:26 PM ·

But in a few years they won't be teenaged. And what if they change members and get some boys in the group?

oR YOU CAN do annoying internet names, with one word and capitals, like NetQuartet, MusicWeb etc

October 1, 2007 at 01:32 PM · Here's a corny one, 4 u string quartet. By the way, congrats for forming a new quartet.

Ihnsouk

October 1, 2007 at 01:56 PM · Bilbo--or add an i to everything like

iQuartet

iStrings

iBeethoven

iPodstock

Did anyone else notice how careful you have to be when coming up with these names? I almost put iPlayers before I realized the double entendre.

October 1, 2007 at 02:16 PM · use the maker of one of your bows or instruments for a name

October 1, 2007 at 02:46 PM · I really like Adelphi. It's a cool sounding name and it pertains to Philadelpia. Filly isn't bad, though...

October 1, 2007 at 03:35 PM · why not call it...ASAP?:)

October 1, 2007 at 03:41 PM · Filli Adelphi

October 1, 2007 at 03:55 PM · TeenFour

October 1, 2007 at 04:18 PM · "Four Philadelphia"

October 1, 2007 at 04:20 PM · Ooh, I know: "kokapeli" (sp)

October 1, 2007 at 04:24 PM · Stephen - "Egon!"

"BaroquenBelles"

October 1, 2007 at 05:39 PM · Independence Quartet

October 1, 2007 at 05:51 PM · Mandelring- and LaSalle-Quartet just took the name of the street where they rehearsaled, maybe there's a good-sounding street or place there. Or take the name of a cafè, where the members were once like Capogiro-Quartet.

Ceres- or Demeter-Quartet: she appears on the Philadelphia city-flag

Antares-Quartet: name of a small, but very bright star (and of one of Ben Hur's horses). It means "Opposed to Ares".

Reminding the Philadelphia Experiment - call it Eldridge Octet.

October 1, 2007 at 06:00 PM · Van Pelt Street Quartet?

Delancey Quartet?

Wissahickon Quartet?

Schuylkill Quartet?

Atwater Quartet?

Pulaski Quartet?

Passyunk Avenue Quartet?

Broad Street Babies?

October 1, 2007 at 07:45 PM · Drexel hill quartet

October 1, 2007 at 09:05 PM · The Stokowski quartet

October 1, 2007 at 09:13 PM · The Ormandy Quartet! :-D

October 1, 2007 at 11:12 PM · Nouveau Ensemble

October 1, 2007 at 11:30 PM · "Reminding the Philadelphia Experiment - call it Eldridge Octet."

LOL I think that was "Project Rainbow" so they could be the Rainbow Octet. Or the Al Bielek Six and seven eighths.

October 2, 2007 at 12:47 AM · All I could think of in sincerity ( in reference to femininity) was "The Wilis."

from Giselle http://www.ballet.org.uk/giselle_story.htm (that link has the whole story, a portion follows)

Act II

A forest on the banks of a pool. A cross bearing the name of Giselle stands underneath the trees.

This is the supernatural world of the Wilis. Attired in their bridal dresses, they dance in the moonlight and lure young men to dance until they fall dead of exhaustion.

I'm exhausted already by the way, I finished the first movement of a string quartette I'm composing this morning and will drop dead of exhaustion shortly.

October 2, 2007 at 12:42 AM · The Skowronski Quartet

October 2, 2007 at 02:04 AM · For those of you you hadn't clicked yet, Wilis are "vengeful spirits of virgin-brides who have been abandoned before their wedding night."

October 2, 2007 at 02:05 AM · "Rittenhouse" and "Fairmount" are already taken, unfortunately. There is a saxophone quartet called Aldelphi already. My ideas were:

Alcott Quartet (for Louisa May Alcott, who was born in Philadelphia, was a feminist and abolitionist. And of course that name riffs off Emerson. But I am not crazy about the sound of it.)

The quartet rehearses one block from a neighborhood called Bella Vista...but that seems too generic.

The location of the rehearsal is Fifth and Queen Streets. So Queen Street String Quartet-- has a nice sound and great symmetry, but doesn't linger on the brain.

I've also thought of Franklinia, which is a native tree discovered by John Bartram and named after his friend, Ben Franklin. The name sound feminine, but it honor Franklin.

October 2, 2007 at 02:32 AM · Franklinia is a lovely tree with white fragrant blossoms if I remember correctly.

Ihnsouk

October 2, 2007 at 02:37 AM · Yes! We have one in our front yard.

October 2, 2007 at 02:29 AM · I think you're right about Bella Vista. Actually, it reminds me of Seinfeld -- the condo development where his parents live in Florida -- Del Boca Vista. Now that's a quartet name!

Here's some random and ill-considered quartet names to add to the list:

-- The Cat and the Moon

-- Byzantium

-- Crazy Jane

-- Necessary Angel

-- The Tempers

-- Salmagundi

-- Bartelby

-- Broken Butterfly

-- Barbed Wire

-- Big Sister

October 2, 2007 at 03:43 AM · Speaking of flower, how about the FIORITURA Quartet?

October 2, 2007 at 03:57 AM · I kind of like Sean's generation z names. Here are more nice ones.

zeus piledriver (my favorite)

threshold 4.0

weaponized

zoom to doom (too goth?)

etc.

October 2, 2007 at 04:16 AM · Four strong young women? Antigone leaps to mind :)

October 2, 2007 at 01:43 PM · Weaponized!?? Jim, Lol. I am rolling on the floor. Let's improve it one notch--

iWeaponized

October 2, 2007 at 01:53 PM · Bond II!

;)

October 2, 2007 at 02:07 PM · It comes from A-bomb terminology. "Weaponizing the fabric of space-time." :) It could also mean somebody who has an expensive violin. "He's thoroughly weaponized."

Here are some more scientific ones.

Former Planet Pluto

echo return

kinetic kill

gravity tractor

ok, Carl?

October 2, 2007 at 01:57 PM · "Siren"

October 2, 2007 at 09:02 PM · Jim, keep 'em coming. I haven't laughed this hard in a long time--could it be that you missed your true calling in life?

Kintetic Kill?

gravity tractor?

October 2, 2007 at 04:16 PM · Bardic Four

October 2, 2007 at 07:27 PM · Philadelfilles? Pronounced Philadelphias (fille is French for girl)

October 2, 2007 at 08:31 PM · phillharmonic

October 2, 2007 at 10:25 PM · Nah, not philharmonic. The junior youth orchestra which has that name in my state has earnt the nickname amongst the composers as philmoronic.

Though I like "former planet Pluto" somehow I'm not sure it'd be right for the group. How about X^2*4 (X squared times 4) - a scientific name, X^2 relating to the two X chromosomes that all the lovely ladies have.

October 2, 2007 at 10:36 PM · You're getting close. Chromos. Like Chronos. It has the right ring. The others will work for Kimberlee's garage band.

October 2, 2007 at 11:38 PM · If Bella Vista is too generic, how about Belvedere? Basically means the same, a little less used.

Ihnsouk

October 3, 2007 at 04:31 PM · Well, you could call yourselves

Is anyone listening (in Italian)

È chiunque che ascolta

(translation from) http://babelfish.altavista.com/tr

I supposed stringy haired (or headed) girls is out of the question.

Girls with Strings is Ragazze con le stringhe acording to the machine.

You could just call yourselves "Ragazze"

The Ragazze string quartet?

Anyhow, that sounds a little less like a disease than The Wilis.

October 3, 2007 at 07:03 PM · Incidently, Don't go looking up the Russian word for girls and try to use it as a name. The Russian word for Girls actually means "prostitutes." "Devushky"

In that case Jim's suggestions of

echo return

or

ok Carl?

they might seem a bit *ahem* curt but they might work.

Or go ahead and call yourselves Devushky, but make sure you go to the police when you get strange calls but then ofcourse you'll probably get calls from the police (for whatever intentions) so:

I'm completely at a loss for words again.

October 3, 2007 at 07:04 PM · Well, you could call yourselve's the Spice Cadets in honor of the Spice Girls being banned from country music stations when they dared to say something negative about president Bush and his wars.

October 3, 2007 at 07:27 PM · hmmm--which leads to: "Spicy Strings".

October 3, 2007 at 08:12 PM · "Devushky" means "maidens". If you're going to make uninformed linguistic assertions on an international board, be prepared to look foolish.

October 3, 2007 at 08:52 PM · Roelof give the machine a miss its way out of line.A good old fashioned dictionary might be better.

October 3, 2007 at 09:04 PM · Have you decided on a name, yet?

October 4, 2007 at 04:29 AM · A Russian teacher at a college in a class told me that one doesn't use the word devushki for girls or maidens because it's slang for prostitutes. That was like maybe 20 years ago though. It might have something to do with whether you use it in the plural also which I don't remember exactly.

Thanks janet, I um, had dissed the machine already (I heard "A soggetto" but didn't really know what it meant). I usually only use it to translate something already written in another language into English which usually ends up quite garbled in English.

Ragazze is girls though isn't it...

"A me perve il ragazzo" I know means "Seemed like a boy to me" when Cherubino jumped out the window and the Gardener is made to think it was Figaro.

(note Ragazzo is boy and Ragazze is girls, Ragazzi is boys and ragazza is girl: these are all safe to use as far as I know)

Yesterday was just crazy. I went to try out bows with this violin at a shop and I was in one room, other people trying bows for their daughter were in another, then they got the owner of the shop out of the basement, where he was crafting, to come and play on the girl's violin so she could hear it: Then, amidst all of this (the owner's wife and a shop keeper were there as well the whole time), suddenly the other craftsman came upstairs with a radient quiet smile to announce that

"The gardener is here."

And it was the "real" gardener not the one who....

You know in Mozart's Figaro when the stage is as full as it gets of characters and Antonio the gardner walks in because someone jumped out the window and landed on his flowers.

I didn't do it!

October 3, 2007 at 11:24 PM · Holy. God.

WTF? I mean, WTFF???

October 3, 2007 at 11:24 PM · "Devki" is what's slang for prostitutes. "Devushki" just means "girls" or "young women." I speak Russian quite competently, so trust me on this one.

October 3, 2007 at 11:27 PM · Ok thanks Mara.

Excuse me it's getting too loud in here with the Count Freaking out.

Just keep whistling...

October 4, 2007 at 01:30 AM · "The Russian word for Girls actually means 'prostitutes.'"

If I found out that was true I'd never stop laughing.

October 4, 2007 at 01:30 AM · Yes, Echo Return and Ok, Carl? Weren't the best possible choices. But the former could have had hit records in the 70s. Carl was a former boss. He eventually decided to personally sign off on everything for awhile. He said "You know why people make love in the dark? So they won't get sick."

October 4, 2007 at 04:33 AM · recapitulation:

Devushky seems to be okay but Devky might cause problems with Carl, but probably worse problems with the police.

October 4, 2007 at 04:46 AM · No offense meant to anyone, but does anyone else think this whole site has turned into an absurdist play lately?

Mr. Ionesco? Is that you?

October 4, 2007 at 05:03 AM · Maybe we are just a metaphor

October 4, 2007 at 05:23 AM · Mara, that's way too logical LOL

"As Deborah B. Gaensbauer describes in Eugene Ionesco Revisited, “Walking in summer sunshine in a white-washed provincial village under an intense blue sky, [Ionesco] was profoundly altered by the light.”[3] He was struck very suddenly with a feeling of intense luminosity, the feeling of floating off the ground and an over-whelming feeling of well-being. When he “floated” back to the ground and the “light” left him, he saw that the real world in comparison was full of decay, corruption and meaningless repetitive action. "

I was in the library yesterday and a child was there with mother. I noticed the child looking at energy and when I noticed it was blue said "it's blue," which to my subjective narcissistic mind made the child much more comfortable.

If that all happened and I tried to talk about it I would be called schizophrenic have to be put on pyschiatric "medications."

NOno nononono

There's nothing "absurd" going on here. There's not even such a style as absurdist: that's all VERY unhealthy stuff.

Next you'll say that "When he “floated” back to the ground and the “light” left him and he saw that the real world in comparison was full of decay, corruption and meaningless repetitive action...he should have eaten a good red strawberry to ground himself and see that it was still all part of the blue – the decay, corruption and meaningless only just ghosts "

"Way too Logical." I think might just be a good name for the quartet.

October 4, 2007 at 05:11 AM · Chicks with Wood

October 4, 2007 at 05:15 AM · Regarding the Spice Girls, they aren't played on country music stations because they're....the Spice Girls. The band who was banned from country music stations for saying something negative about Bush was the Dixie Chicks!

October 4, 2007 at 05:55 AM · Sorry Laurie, I must have thought they congealed together or something. Eeek, I'll have to work on it. They really are QUITE different, even though they are both prominent all girl groups.

Note: Of all the suggestions, I like "Sean Gillia's" suggestion of "Broken Butterfly" the best. I think I would make Broken Butterflies out of that...

because broken butterflies need music to mend their wings.

January 5, 2016 at 05:49 AM · I know this was 8 years ago but you never know, I think Trippy Trebbles would be cool.

January 5, 2016 at 05:49 AM · I know this was 8 years ago but you never know, I think Trippy Trebbles would be cool.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Los Angeles Philharmonic
Los Angeles Philharmonic