Free music site

September 26, 2007 at 05:00 AM · Greetings,

just found the greatest free sheet music site on th eplanet...

http://imslp.org/index.php?title=Category:Composers

Yesterday I downloaded:

Bartok 2nd cocnerto.

Vieutemps Cocnerto no2

Both Accolay Concertos

3 enescu sonatas

Goldmark Sonata

Respighi Sonata

Hah!

Cheers,

Buri

Replies (42)

September 26, 2007 at 10:31 AM · Wow, Buri! It really IS the greatest free sheet music site on th' e-planet! ;-P

By the way, I hope you don't mind, but I've taken the liberty of adding the site you discovered to violinist.com's wiki on Free Violin Music.

Just so that everyone can see and appreciate it :-)

September 26, 2007 at 10:51 AM · Thank you, Buri! Great site for musicians. And it works really fast.

September 26, 2007 at 12:56 PM · I found the "Recent Additions Finder" button useful. On the main page, click on "Special Pages" in the Toolbox. Then click on "IMSLP Recent Additions Finder (non-admin version)". This feature simplifies browsing for those of us that visit IMSLP everyday, and have burned through massive amounts of toner...

Also, IMSLP has a "Score Request" forum.

Also, Buri, if you like IMSLP, Sibley is good too, at https://urresearch.rochester.edu .

September 26, 2007 at 03:20 PM · yep, this site is awesome for chamber music too. I mentioned it here a while ago & I've been pillaging it for months now.

September 26, 2007 at 04:25 PM · Thanks so much for sharing the info! This site is indeed fantastic!

September 26, 2007 at 04:45 PM · Amazing ...thanks!

September 26, 2007 at 05:47 PM · Outstanding. Thank you.

October 9, 2007 at 03:14 AM · Totally amazing ! Thank you Buri !

October 20, 2007 at 01:28 AM · Oh, Unhappy Day! imslp.org has been taken down! Evidently the person running the project, a college student, was given notice by Universal Editions. This is such a loss for all of us.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. And I never finished printing out all the Cui violin/piano music either...

October 20, 2007 at 02:01 AM · ah yes, all good things must come to an end. Part of my routine was to look at what were the new files online at the site....it was great while it was up. Luckily for me, I downloaded all the things that I was interested or wanted.

It must have been a legal nightmare to deal with. And yes, it is hard to deal with the copyrights and editions etc. My friend needed a piece by debussy in a pinch while on tour and emailed me so I sent him a link and he was pretty sure that the music WAS durand. Which is legal since it was a dover reprint that they had scanned...but what is and isn't.

Might I add that there is a website out there that still have good music:

https://urresearch.rochester.edu/handle/1802/291

some of the stuff that was on ismlp was from here. Good luck and of course keep it legal ;)

October 20, 2007 at 02:18 AM · This was a Canadian site, where the copyright law states a work becomes PD 50 years after the composers death. The site was removed as musicians from the U.S and Europe (who have a 70 or more years copyright law) were downloading music that is still under copyright in those countries.

There were prominent notices on the site about what was legal to download but they were not followed. It seems to me that only sites that post music that is PD worldwide is the solution.

October 20, 2007 at 02:20 AM · That last message was informative. I hope someone will have the passion and patience to sort out the legal issues of this so that another similar site can eventually rise from the ashes...

October 20, 2007 at 04:03 AM · Shoot, I knew I should have downloaded more stuff while it was possible

October 20, 2007 at 05:44 AM · Greetings,

man, I just missed getting the two Neilsen sonatas. I can see why it was causing trouble though. It was a true gift horse for so many people.

Cheers,

Buri

October 20, 2007 at 08:38 PM · The forums are still up at imslpforums.org. I am going to cross my fingers. As Studs Terkel says, "Hope dies last!"

October 20, 2007 at 11:14 PM · Well, having ranted about this, I have calmed down enough to suggest that the support we offer the exhausted and threatened college kid who runs the site will determine whether he can implement the rights protections that he has showed such clear willingness to respect. Hie thee to a forum.

October 22, 2007 at 06:21 PM · hey Buri, I've just e-mailed you. I got the Nielsen if you want it, just reply to my e-mail

Sometimes it pays to be a pack rat.

October 22, 2007 at 10:40 PM · Many thnaks. My email has been dysfunctional for so long I didn`t get the message. Thanks anyway. I think I have enough great obscurities form the site to keep me occupied to the end of time. Did you get a look at the Hubay Hungarian dances. Really charming...

Cheer,s

Buri

July 8, 2008 at 10:46 PM · ISMLP is now back online and they have more than 17,000 scores on it. All of which are free to everyone! You can add (upload to the site) any of your old scores that you might have or find. It is really the best resource for musicians on the globe! For anyone really. Good searching....

July 10, 2008 at 01:15 AM · Thank goodness this site is back up!! It's great how so many people contributed to its running again, as it is arguably one of the most comprehensive sites of sheet music on the net!!!

July 10, 2008 at 01:25 AM · What do you mean "arguably"? I wouldn't say there's any argument about it!

July 10, 2008 at 06:10 PM · Just downloaded the Ravel quartet after having no success at my school library. Yay!

July 10, 2008 at 10:51 PM · I just got all 42 Kreutzer etudes! Yay!

July 10, 2008 at 10:52 PM · IMSLP is the best music resource for musicians. Bless Feldmahler, for all of his hard work, and sticking to his vision. Huzzah!

July 11, 2008 at 11:59 AM · I cannot download any. It keeps saying, this site is being investigated for copyright blah blah blah.

July 11, 2008 at 07:43 PM · This site rocks! So many selections.

Except when I tried to download Glazunov violin concerto (piano and soloviolin part only), there was an error when trying to open up the file. :( The full score worked fine though. I'm not sure how many problems like that exist.

July 11, 2008 at 08:01 PM · The errors are a temporary problem... because of what happened to IMSLP (threats of lawsuits by a certain Austrian music publisher because some of the music infringed on copyright laws that forced the site to shut down until very recently), the person who runs the site is trying to verify what does infringe on copyright laws and what doesn't. Eventually anything on the site should be downloadable.

July 16, 2008 at 02:52 AM · Woo-hoo! Look at all the *other* violin music Sibelius wrote...

July 16, 2008 at 02:54 AM · That's exactly what I thought!

July 18, 2008 at 02:46 PM · Yeah - the IMSLP is back up online! I was going to make a post about this.

Be sure to read the welcome letter.

July 19, 2008 at 08:03 AM · Please explain how to ??? I've tried but don't get to the actual score

July 25, 2008 at 07:19 PM · Hey, I was browsing around on it and found that some scores say [Temporarily Blocked] (such as wieniaski etudes) and others just say [B] (such as the Dvorak violin concerto). Anyone know the difference? Neither file can be opened.

July 25, 2008 at 11:08 PM · It's my understanding that the site operator was threatened with a copyright infringment lawsuit and didn't have funds to enter a protracted legal battle. Something about the laws differing in various countries. He posted a notice on the site at the time; perhaps it's still around somewhere.

Oops! It appears to have re-opened-Yay!

http://imslp.org/wiki/Main_Page

July 28, 2008 at 07:30 PM · More information about IMSLP can be found by a search for the thread:

IMSLP - Comments about the site are welcome.

November 18, 2008 at 05:59 PM ·

Yeeeey!!! =) Thank you, Buri!

November 19, 2008 at 12:33 AM ·

I was at work on lunch when I read this this morning and down loaded all Brandenberg concertoes!!!! Full scores, and more than the chopped up crap I usualy get!

November 20, 2008 at 08:54 PM ·

Thanks Buri,

I just picked up the Godard Concerto. 

Drew

November 20, 2008 at 09:10 PM ·

Drew, Naxos has a good recording of both the Godard Concertos...the second concerto is pretty snazzy if you have not heard it yet ;-)

www.jonathanfrohnen.com

November 20, 2008 at 11:05 PM ·

Greetings,

it does on ocassion tend to only make the weird stuff available but its still awesome.  I caught it before all the trouble started and it temporarily clased. At that time I downloaded the violin sonata by Colerdige Taylor. I think I wtote about it in a blog but its worth rementioning. An absolutely fascinating work which hovers around the Dvorak sonatina level.  Fantastic teahcign material a swell as good music.

Cheers,

Buri

November 21, 2008 at 05:10 AM ·

Thanks Jonathan, I did not know there was a 2nd Concerto. Is it available? Great sight, by the way.

Thanks, again, Buri. I remember your mentioning how you liked the Coleridge-Taylor  and so have just downloaded it and look forward to playing through. 

December 2, 2008 at 12:43 PM ·

Great site! Lots of stuff.

But I haven't found Haendel's Xerxes Largo transcription for string quartet to play with my kids I was looking for. I'll keep on searching.

June 5, 2009 at 08:22 PM ·

Since we have new members I thought it would be worth resurrecting this post for mtheir sake.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Los Angeles Philharmonic
Los Angeles Philharmonic