Hilary Hahn playing Schoenberg

September 13, 2007 at 08:57 PM · Saw Hilary Hahn play Schoenbergs violinconcerto today.

She was amazing and played Sarabande by Bach as an encore.

Her technique was incredible throughout the concerto and it seems like a miracle that someone with so tiny hands can play that piece so effortlessly

I hugged her after the show and whispered "you are so cute in her ear" and she giggled

She smelled great and wasn´t sweating at all despite the amazing feat she achieved a few minutes earlier. She had the lipstick from the conductor on her cheak too lol.

Anybody know who her boyfriend is?

Anyway do not miss out Hahn playing Schoenberg if she comes to a town near you, she is amazing and very nice to her fans.

Replies (33)

September 13, 2007 at 09:31 PM · "She smelled great "

Damn. Describe what she smells like. Details.

September 13, 2007 at 09:39 PM · *"Matchmaker, matchmaker, make me a match..."*

September 13, 2007 at 09:36 PM · I at first thought her nice personality on her web site was just PR; but, after seeing her know this is not the case. Ms. Hahn truly is a very sweet, nice and real person.

She cut up, made cheezy jokes, and didn't take herself seriously in Greensboro, then shattered my heart and mind with Bach Am unaccompanied.

But nice as she was, I was there (I thought) to watch her technique. She certainly ironed out this ole cruncher's bow arm. And stole my heart while she was at it... Women!

September 14, 2007 at 04:05 AM · I didn't think much of her for a long time, mainly I think because I didn't pay much attention. Then a couple weeks ago I saw that video from Red Square of her and Zukerman, and her solo stuff. What I thought was detachment and all is really just nothing superfluous going on. Her style of presentation. And in her photos with fans she's cousin Hilary. She's great. The best there is.

September 14, 2007 at 03:43 AM · I'd never even heard of her until a few months ago, and even after that, I didn't realize she was the one who played the violin in the soundtrack for the movie "The Village." TERRIBLE movie, but a beautiful soundtrack. I've been in love with the violin in that soundtrack ever since I first watched the movie a few years back. When I found out it was her, I figured I needed to track down more of her stuff, and I'm glad I did.

She's impressive. I like that she manages to stay humble, too. That's even more impressive. I never liked snobs...even ones with actual talent. So, yes. I'd have to say I'm a fan now. Hilary...er...rocks. :)

September 14, 2007 at 04:02 AM · don't like her. Good technique, but her interpretations never move me in any way

September 14, 2007 at 04:16 AM · Interpretation-wise I think she's just sort of subtle or unusual. But once you're tuned in you hear some slick stuff. That's how it was with me anway.

September 14, 2007 at 04:26 AM · To watch her play the violin is a marvel in many ways, but having seen many violinists live, I do not hesitate to say that I believe her interpretations will improve once she has experienced life a bit more. She's marketed as an "intellectual" violinist (same way real estate agents call small houses "cozy"). Even though I find how she plays things to be various shades of grey, I don't deny that technically she has very, very few peers.

September 14, 2007 at 04:40 AM · Pieter, your last sentence begs the obvious question: isn't tone coloration, shading, and expressive nuance PART of technique? :)

September 14, 2007 at 04:30 AM · Ok. Pieter. Granted. But her use of vibrato in Bach. The grace and subtlety stood out in my mind. When technique is supplemented with subtle progressive notions, I find it noteworthy?

I've kind of immersed myself in vibrato. First for a Bartokish folk-culture spirit; and, also for a Mozart era watching vibrato evolve as another. I at the same time listen to how it is applied in a human voice context when I have some time, having I feel heard some of the best and worst. Hahn I think all given, is some of the best.

So yes I'm new to all this. But that's the raw thoughts of a newbie. She has tamed my bowing arm--soooo much!. I was already working with some things from Haslop and others, but in breathing the vertical type motion for string-crossings and stability--she gets credit. When I approach a double-stop now, it's with a lot of cool focus.

So yeah, I'm also a little bit prejudiced as far as Hahn is concerned.

September 14, 2007 at 04:56 AM · Maura, no. Really great sound is born. You have certain qualities physically, but mostly it is in your ear. People with really great sounds are aural epicures. There are people with fantastic technique, who are in control of everything, and still they don't have a truly haunting or special sound. You can execute a certain color or shade, but most often a perfect execution on a mechanical level lacks the panache and nuance... the ineffible stuff.. stardust.

Albert, I was at the first concert of the tour which you saw. I saw exactly the same program you did. I agree, everything about the mechanics of her violin playing is awe inspiring... a total delight to witness. My comments and opinions of Ms. Hahn come from a place of total respect, because I realize no matter what, I will never be her peer. That, and her overwhelming humbleness. Unfortunately, when I pay to see a concert, I want to bear witness to something more than violin playing, and at this point I don't think my musical ideas and Ms. Hahn's are in alignment. (and not that that matters to her, or that it should matter to anyone).

September 14, 2007 at 05:04 AM · Where do her ideas and yours differ, specifically?

September 14, 2007 at 05:01 AM · Jim, I discuss these things under friendly circumstances. I'd rather not with you.

September 14, 2007 at 05:09 AM · LOL! C'mon, man. What's her problem, too many notes?

September 14, 2007 at 08:04 AM · Playing a bit the Devil's advocate here;

Don't you wish she used a bit more variety in her vibrato?

Her phrasing is amazing, she knows how to "tell a story",

and her passage work the best of every violinist at the moment

(now that Vengorov has an injury...). But... Sometimes I wish

that she could be a little more imaginative with her vibrato.

I have a CD of Ida Haendel playing Glazunov's violin concerto

(recorded in 1965). In that recording Haendel shows what you can

do with vibrato... (anyone heard this performance?).

Greetings from the Netherlands,

Rolf

http://homepages.ipact.nl/~otterhouse

(my classical lp->mp3 hobby page, updated every friday)

http://www.youtube.com/otterhouse

(my classical music youtube channel)

September 14, 2007 at 09:49 AM · Well, vibrato is part of phrasing and you say the phrasing is amazing. Here's something somebody put up a few days ago. I think the temp. was just above freezing, which might have fixed what you don't like in the vibrato:) Bone chilling stuff to me, too. I think the fact that she doesn't make too much of the passagework helps set off the high points, which are really powerful. I like it. It's easy to imagine typical gushing in the passagework instead, but I think this is way beyond that.

Poeme

September 14, 2007 at 08:40 AM · I have only seen or heard one perfomance by a violinist active today that can be compared too the technical brilliance Hilary had while playing Schoenberg yesterday and that is Mutter performing Penderecki´s second concerto on youtube.

September 14, 2007 at 04:21 PM · Andreas... you need to see more violinists.

September 14, 2007 at 05:02 PM · Ms Hahn had me fooled with her performance of Ernst's Last Rose of Summer. Such a sweet song, with a few extra notes in between! Fun to play, no?

It was only when I had downloaded the music from the Internet that I realized how very difficult it was.

September 14, 2007 at 05:16 PM · I see Pieter.

September 14, 2007 at 06:23 PM · Hilary Hahn is a miracle. Perfect technique, beautiful phrasing and a lovely person. She's definitely one of the outstanding musicians of her generation.

September 14, 2007 at 06:39 PM · I have a CD of her doing some Mozart Sonatas. Wish Hahn would record all of them; her somewhat restrained manner of playing is perfect for these pieces.

September 14, 2007 at 07:48 PM · "Ms Hahn had me fooled with her performance of Ernst's Last Rose of Summer. Such a sweet song, with a few extra notes in between! Fun to play, no?

It was only when I had downloaded the music from the Internet that I realized how very difficult it was. "

Do you have recording of it?

Never heard her play it actually

The most amazing thing about her is that she isn´t practising very much, often less then an hour a day.

I don´t know if I should believe her though

September 14, 2007 at 07:58 PM · Andreas,

Her Last Rose of Summer was beyond incredible this summer....

September 15, 2007 at 02:20 AM · Hilary didn´t have time to talk for very long when I met her but she gave a few hints about her personality at least.

She is very social and do not practice more then she has too, there are too many other interests in her life.

She drinks socially and is always interested in meeting new people when she is on tour.

She would never pose in lingerie for a men´s magazine or anything like that to increase albumsales.

September 15, 2007 at 02:31 AM · Andreas,

You've gotta admit, though. Vanessa Mae gets people interested in violin, at least in a cursory way, when/where no one else could. *grin*

September 15, 2007 at 03:35 AM · "She would never pose in lingerie for a men´s magazine"

Of course not. She doesn't have to. Women do what they need to do or what they think they need to do and things that involve taking clothes off are a last resort. Unfortunate fact of life.

September 15, 2007 at 10:30 AM · "Of course not. She doesn't have to. Women do what they need to do or what they think they need to do and things that involve taking clothes off are a last resort. Unfortunate fact of life."

The music sales these days are declining in an alarming way and the labels are willing to do anything to increase the sales and that includes the classical community as well.

Not all women think that it´s the last resort to pose nude even among great classical violinplayers.

It´s sad to hear but it seems like most men´s magazines in the US (including the hardcore ones) already asked her if she wanted to pose for them.

September 15, 2007 at 04:54 PM · O yea Andreas... everyone is after Hilary Hahn to pose nude. are you insane? 99% of people don't even know who she is. I'm sure that at some point it was suggested she show a bare shoulder or something, but as you know she is not such a type, and definately does not need it, but you're overstating her popularity...

September 15, 2007 at 06:29 PM · "O yea Andreas... everyone is after Hilary Hahn to pose nude. are you insane? 99% of people don't even know who she is."

There were some buzz in the gossip columns a few years when they linked her to Nicholas Cage. He denied that they were more the friends.

She has also toured with the "Trail of Dead" a popband that has been on the Letterman show a couple of times. She has also won grammies, been featured in Time Magazine and other mainstream zines etc.

September 15, 2007 at 06:48 PM · andreas... that doesn't mean playboy is interested in shooting her naked.

people always seem to overstate the popularity of classical musicians. go to any hilary hahn concert (I've been to a few)... 99% of the audience is made up of senior citizens, with a few young violinists mixed in.

September 15, 2007 at 06:55 PM · "Not all women think that it´s the last resort to pose nude..."

You're referring to the significance of what's known as the "stingyness quotient."

September 15, 2007 at 09:16 PM · "people always seem to overstate the popularity of classical musicians. go to any hilary hahn concert (I've been to a few)... 99% of the audience is made up of senior citizens, with a few young violinists mixed in. "

That depends on the country

All I can say to everybody is go and see Hilary live if you have the chance, even if you are not a huge fan.

She is as nice and easy to talk to as they come.

The videoclips below show a different side of her as an artist

Hilary playing with a rockband and teasing the guys in the frontrow

Hilary singing the orchestral part

This is just strange

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Los Angeles Philharmonic
Los Angeles Philharmonic