SUICIDE BY CONDUCTOR

September 11, 2007 at 05:32 AM · Does anyone know who the longest sitting concertmaster of a major orch. in the U.S. was or is? I just retired from the Buffalo Phil. Orch. after an uninterrupted 37 years.

Replies (17)

September 11, 2007 at 06:20 AM · Greetings,

why didn`t you stand up?

Cheers,

Buri

September 11, 2007 at 06:31 AM · That's a long time, Mr. Haupt. Perhaps it is a record of some kind. I'm sure someone in the violinist dot com family will tell us.

Best wishes on your life after Buffalo Phil.

Regards,

Joey

September 11, 2007 at 10:19 AM · And why are you telling us all of this on 9-11? (humor intended)

Congradulations anyhow on a fine life.

September 11, 2007 at 10:16 AM · Congratulations on such a long and successful run! Any palm trees in Buffalo? Hmm.. might have to check out the Carribean. Very few conductors on the beach, and they are so easygoing down there...noone even wants to change your bowing!;-)

Happy retirement!

September 11, 2007 at 10:29 AM · I don't know the answer to your question, but that is a long time, and it means that I must have seen you perform when I was growing up in Williamsville, and I was on stage with you at least once when the Buffalo Phil and the GBYO did a joint concert. And you must have known my teacher from back then, the late Philip Teibel, who was a violinist in the Buffalo Phil. Congratulations on your long and distinguished run, and best wishes on your retirement!

September 11, 2007 at 11:01 AM · Mr. Haupt - Congratulations on your distinguished career and I hope you enjoy your retirement!!

Cheers!

P.S. I think that this is probably a U.S. record. The only long tenure that I can think of is that of Joseph Silverstein at the Boston Symphony, but I know that it was shorter than that (like more around the 30 year mark).

September 11, 2007 at 11:43 AM · Congratulations.

Samuel Magad in Chicago was with the orchestra for 48 years, but for "only" 35 of those was he concertmaster.

September 11, 2007 at 01:47 PM · Many congratulations on your achievement and your retirement. You will have been a whippersnapper coming to Fredonia with the Phil. when I was a student in the 70's. Hope you find plenty to enjoy now, too. Sue

September 11, 2007 at 02:42 PM · While I've no idea who did what for how long, I still congratulate you on keeping with it for as long as you did. I'm sure it required intestinal fortitude the likes of which would've sent even Alexander the Great running away screaming from certain defeat. ;)

Buffalo, huh? They have beautiful winters. I miss the ones we used to have. To heck with the Caribbean. Give me 5-to-10-foot snow drifts any day! :) I hope you enjoy your retirement!

September 11, 2007 at 02:47 PM · Congratulations on not an ending, but a new beginning. See you at the 18th hole.

September 11, 2007 at 10:54 PM · Hello Charlie,

Congratulations on your longevity and your retirement. Perhaps you remember me from when we were fellow students of William Kroll at Mannes. I've been playing in the Pittsburgh Symphony since 1980. Now likely to retire soon myself, in order to pursue my passions for teaching and for playing jazz violin.

All the best to you.

September 14, 2007 at 02:26 PM · Richard Burgin was concertmaster of the Boston Symphony Orchestra for 42 years, from 1920 to 1962. As far as current CMs, the longest tenured one I can find is Glenn Dicterow, who's had the NY Philharmonic post since 1980 (27 years).

September 14, 2007 at 08:43 PM · The West Virginia Symphony probably wouldn't be considered a "major orchestra," but kudos nevertheless to John Lambros, who served as concertmaster there for an astounding 55 years (1950-2005).

September 17, 2007 at 08:37 AM · Arnold Josef Rosé (Arnold Josef Rosenblum) was leader of the Vienna Philharmonic from 1881 to 1931. His daughter Alma was married (a couple of yeras) to Vasa Prihoda.

Ronald

September 17, 2007 at 09:15 AM · Heee... Hello Ronald! Nice seeing you here!

Greetings from Delft,

Rolf

September 17, 2007 at 11:17 AM · Hi Rolf,

My annual message :-) I sent you a PM.

September 17, 2007 at 03:37 PM · MAny kudos for a long and distinguished career. Enjoy the new beginning. FORE!

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Los Angeles Philharmonic
Los Angeles Philharmonic

International Violin Competition of Indianapolis
International Violin Competition of Indianapolis

Virtual Sejong Music Competition
Virtual Sejong Music Competition

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Shopping Guide
Violinist.com Shopping Guide

Metzler Violin Shop

Bein & Company

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Los Angeles Violin Shop

String Masters

Bobelock Cases

Things 4 Strings LLC

Violin-Strings.com

Viola-Strings.com

Baerenreiter

Fiddlerman.com

FiddlerShop

Sleepy Puppy Press

Jargar Strings

J.R. Judd Violins, LLC

Southwest Strings

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe