Dvorak's Violin Concerto & Tchaikovsky's Souvenir de Florence

August 30, 2007 at 03:55 PM · I was just wondering what would be recommended recordings for Tchaikovsky's Souvenir de Florence and Dvorak's Violin Concerto?

I have:

-the Borodin Quartet recording of Souvenir de Florence(coupled with the Tchaikovsky quartets)

-Sarah Chang & Davis for the Dvorak Violin Concerto

-Itzhak Perlman & Barenboim for Dvorak Violin concerto

There are lots of recordings on Amazon.com, but those one-minute samples don't tell much of the recordings...so any suggestions on the concerto and the sextet are appreciated!

Replies (29)

August 30, 2007 at 04:10 PM · Vermeer quartet made a nice recording...Milstein and Pam Frank for Dvorak...

August 30, 2007 at 04:44 PM · I like Sergiu Luca for Dvorak.

August 30, 2007 at 04:47 PM · I like Oistrakh for the Dvorak, also Bronislaw Gimpel.

August 30, 2007 at 05:25 PM · I'm a personal fan of Midori's recording of the Dvorak. I think it's with NY Phil- beautiful articulation and sound, particularly in the last movement.

August 30, 2007 at 09:10 PM · My favorites Dvorak's are Oistrakh-Ancerl

and Milstein-Dorati

About Souvenir, there's a unique recording by:

Kogan and Elizabetha Gilels violins

Barshai and Talalian va.

Knushevitski and Rostropovich ce.

IMHO is the best of the best.

August 31, 2007 at 04:11 AM · There's a very good Dvorak Violin Concerto

with Edith Peinemann and the Czech Philharmonic on an Eloquence CD: 476 7405

August 31, 2007 at 01:23 PM · Stern (Sony) and Ilya Kaler (Naxos) have done excellent Dvorak recordings. However, as with all of these posts, you will probably get at least one vote for every recording ever made. Just pick a few and get them out of the library.

August 31, 2007 at 02:49 PM · I have an insane live recording of the Souvenir de Florence with the principals of Cleveland + CIM students at a CIM faculty recital a few years ago...

August 31, 2007 at 03:21 PM · I like the Vermeer recording of the Souvenir too, but there is a very fine recording by the Camerata Lysy on the Claves label.

The Dvorak is my least favorite violin concerto. I did hear the recording Pam Frank made quite a few years ago and it's outstanding.

August 31, 2007 at 03:43 PM · I must say, the Dvorak is a very weakly composed concerto, not at all concise or very coherent for that matter. If you have the chance to hear Julia Fischer play it though, she just may change your mind. :) I also must second Tina, the Midori recording when she's around 15 is outstanding. OUTSTANDING.

August 31, 2007 at 10:39 PM · I am totally in love with the Oistrakh recording of the Dvorak. I also own Perlman's and Chang's, and while I'm quite a fan of both those violinists, I'm hardly listened to their Dvoraks since acquiring Oistrakh's, even though the recording quality is so much poorer on the latter.

September 1, 2007 at 06:37 PM · Ida Haendel's recording of the Dvorak Violin Concerto is amazing. Such emotional depth and beauty of phrasing -- it tears your heart out!

September 20, 2007 at 11:39 AM · Schlomo Mintz with the Berlin Philharmonic on DG is a recording of the Dvorak I recently came upon and it is the best I've heard. Wonderfully full of color. Also, he somehow makes the awkward passages and construction of the first movement graceful and coherent.

September 20, 2007 at 11:44 AM · You must try the Ida Haendel recording of Dvorak and Tchaikovsky Violin Concertos (on the same cd). There are moments when you will want to stop and replay a section because what Ms. Haendel does with the phrases is so extraordinary. I thought there was maybe a human soprano in the background "humming" some of the passages because of how hauntingly beautiful Ms. Haendel played these concertos.

September 20, 2007 at 02:06 PM · For the Dvorak´s Concerto, my probably favourite recording is played by J.Martzy like the soloist, with the RIAS-Symphonie-Orchester Berlin conducted by F.Fricsay. I enjoy too Milstein´s recordings. And another soloist for this Concerto: Prihoda.

September 20, 2007 at 04:13 PM · Josef Suk, if you can find one... Dvorak was his grandfather? Great-grandfather? I forget, exactly.

Anyway, there are a lot of violinists who can play the living daylights out of this piece, so find someone you like and they will be just fine.

For the Tchaikovsky: again, plenty of groups out there that are capable of doing a great job with it. Type "Souvenir de Florence" into the Amazon search engine and go wild. (I'm partial to chamber-orchestra versions of this piece, so the Orpheus Chamber Orch. version looks good to me, esp. since it's like $6... there's also a real sextet version with Nadja S-S, and another with Sarah Chang...)

September 20, 2007 at 04:25 PM · I think he was Dvorak's son-in-law.

September 20, 2007 at 06:53 PM · In fact there were two Josef Suk. The first in time (1874-1935) was Dvorak´s son-in-law, and he was a remarkable violinist and celebrated Czech composer. Present Josef Suk (b.1929) is Dvorak´s Great-grandson and 'Old' Josef Suk´s Grandson. He is one of the most outstanding virtuoso violinists from the second half of the 20th century, and, that´s a fact, one of the best performers from his Great-grandfather´s Concerto. There´s a great live performance from this Concerto dating 1963, in which Suk is the soloist, with the Czech Philharmonic Orchestra and K.Ancerl conducting.

September 20, 2007 at 07:41 PM · Thanks, Manuel.

September 21, 2007 at 10:39 PM · And Suk Sr.was an excelent composer. Try to

find his 4 pieces op.17 by Ginette amd Jean

Neveu. Absolutely wonderful!

September 21, 2007 at 10:45 PM · Also his Serenade for Strings is BEAUTIFUL.

September 22, 2007 at 03:56 AM · Concertante has a good recording of souvenir and mend octet.

The Ying quartet came out with the tchaik quartets and souvenir with paul katz and James dunham. Has anybody listened to it?

October 11, 2007 at 11:18 AM · Milsteins recording of the Dvorak is sensational, especially the forward motion in the 3rd movement!

October 12, 2007 at 06:23 AM · Milstein's Dvorak is tops; he owned this piece.

October 13, 2007 at 10:52 AM · Nathan Milstein for Dvorak

Heifetz and his pals for the Souvenir

October 13, 2007 at 06:52 PM · I think... "Is it Dvorak tha Midori redoreded?"

oops

recorded

Takaki Tekas....pffffffff

There's another oriental and It's not Helen Huang!

OK

She wears really nice colors I remember...really nice.

Um, I heard her play Dvorak...

Quite different.

With Midori ofcourse, you have to really listen, she's not going to hit anyone over the head.

October 15, 2007 at 10:09 PM · Kyung Wha Chung perhaps?

I'm not nearly as "well-listened" as most others here, but I love Chung's versions of the Dvorak (on old EMI) and Tchaikovsky (on old Decca) concertos.

_Man_

October 15, 2007 at 11:04 PM · Greetings,

I grew up listening to that recording of the Tchiakovsky. She is not a player I would automaticlaly think of when listing my favorite violnists but I have often bene suprised during blind listening of cds of multiple artists that I pick her out a ssomething treally special. A rather underate dartist, perhaps due to her self imposed career limiting. Have to confes sI do not like her recent reocridngs such as the Brahms with Rattle- seems to be an element of neurosis.

Cheers,

Buri

October 21, 2007 at 06:00 PM · There's a new recording out of the Souvenir that I heard and enjoyed enormously. It featured Nadia Salerno-Sonnenberg and Lynne Harrell. Total barn-burner :)

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Los Angeles Philharmonic
Los Angeles Philharmonic