V.com group on Facebook

August 16, 2007 at 05:17 AM · Just wanted to let everybody know, I started a Violinist.com group on Facebook. Come say hi!

Replies (30)

August 16, 2007 at 12:07 PM · Cool! I'm on v.com almost as much as facebook. :)

August 17, 2007 at 02:00 AM · Hmm...I left Fbook when it went public, and was joined by several thousand other outraged students.

August 17, 2007 at 03:53 PM · Facebook did not exist when I was in college! Imagine the deprivation....

August 17, 2007 at 06:13 PM · Poor Laurie . . . : (

August 17, 2007 at 07:49 PM · i love facebook! I joined the group :)

August 17, 2007 at 08:33 PM · "Imagine the deprivation.... "

Ha!

August 17, 2007 at 08:41 PM · What are you laughing about, Jim? You obviously haven't experienced the joys of Facebook. ;P

August 17, 2007 at 09:13 PM · Ok, what's a facebook? When I click on Laurie's facebook link it asks me for a password to get in.

August 17, 2007 at 11:00 PM · Well, Facebook is basically a social networking website that's open to pretty much everyone from high school students on up. It's kind of like MySpace, only a bit more private and less commercial I think. As they say "anyone can register" so if you just go to their homepage http://www.facebook.com you can set up your own account.

August 18, 2007 at 12:39 AM · I joined the group people, yes...

August 18, 2007 at 02:14 AM · I joined the group but I'm still not sure what people actually *do* on facebook. Feel free to tell me what exactly I'm missing!

August 18, 2007 at 02:36 AM · I think there are three things you can do. You can "make them your friend," you can "send them a message," and you can "poke them." I like streamlined operations though.

August 18, 2007 at 02:33 AM · Haha, I think Facebook is more geared to the college and high school crowd. :) Its a really easy way to get in keep in touch with friends and acquaintances. The fun starts after you make people your "friend". Then you can leave messages for each other, share pictures and videos, and tons of other stuff. You kind of have to try it to get it.

August 18, 2007 at 04:15 AM · "Haha, I think Facebook is more geared to the college and high school crowd. "

Haha, what isn't. Back when we were swapping the chips around in PDP-11s and coding three-foot stacks of punch cards, this isn't what we had in mind at all. Why don't you use the phone? Or send people to the Moon?

August 18, 2007 at 05:40 AM · Ah, those stacks of punch cards. I remember them, too. It's a long way from there to activities available on the Internet for anyone with almost any degree of training or intelligence. Don't you appreciate progress, Jim?

Laurie, you are always thinking of new ways of enhancing our v.com experience. Thanks. I'll try it.

August 18, 2007 at 05:54 AM · OK, Laurie, I just signed up. Now how do I find the violinist.com group?

August 19, 2007 at 02:41 AM · Clicking on the word Facebook in Laurie's post takes you to it, once you've joined up. I didn't join but I looked around it on the computer of somebody who belongs. I might join, who knows. I might take some high school classes even. Yeah!

August 19, 2007 at 03:01 AM · Oy Jim! Just join! Then I'll move in for the "friend"... MUAHAHAHAHA!

August 19, 2007 at 05:27 AM · If you get me on Oprah, I'll be your friend back. It's still not too late to be the spokesman of my generation. I messed that up in the 70s.

August 19, 2007 at 06:38 AM · Facebook isn't any good unless you can draw mustaches and devil beards and horns on everybody you don't like.

...ooh, maybe you can. I'm gonna check.

August 19, 2007 at 01:39 PM · Well, you sort of can Emily. There's this thing called the graffiti wall that you can add . . .

August 19, 2007 at 01:36 PM · it's definitely geared towards the younger crowd. it was originally 100% for college kids that wanted to keep in touch.

it's great for finding old friends, and keeping up with all of them. It's different than a phone call. i can see pictures of soandso's trip to brazil, whoshisnose's wedding, and whatsherface's vacation to france.

And you can make notes that only friends can read that can be about anything: about a new daughter, about moving to a new town, about succession, about struggle, ...

And of course, you can just leave a little note on someone else's.

the best and worst part of facebook, is that its addictive.

August 19, 2007 at 08:41 PM · Someone asked what Facebook is. Here's the history of Facebook in a nutshell.

Facebook started out as a way for students at college to keep in touch, (a sort of email that also included profiles in a way not unlike the profiles on V.com, as well as the ability to create and administrate a group limited to students at their own college (such as "Alpha Choppa Tree" or "I'm Lazy So I Just Push The Handicapped Button" or "People Need To Learn How To Drive On The Lloyd" or my group that got very popular-- "I Go To USI (a.k.a. The Empire)") and was nothing like MySpace to begin with. Gradually, more and more features were added, such as photo sharing, blogs, and international groups (such as "The Biggest Facebook Group Ever," which made all kinds of breakthroughs, including the need to raise the number of members allowed, and the need to take administrative actions of turning off the discussion boards), and Facebook began becoming very commercialized-- you can now pay to give someone a "gift" of an image of a heart, a box of chocolates, or a piece of underwear. High school students were admitted last summer, and in the fall the network added a new feature that ticked a LOT of people off, including myself, earning the site the nickname "Stalkerbook": the Feed and Minifeed. These two tools keep tabs on just about every click you and your friends make, from adding friends to removing information from your profile to writing a message on someone's wall to leaving a group or network. (Shortly after, there was a lot of "has left the ___ network" due to anger over the new additions.) During the first half of 2007 (or perhaps it was slightly before that) Facebook announced plans to "go public," which would cause a side effect of allowing users to have multiple accounts, encouraging the legendary false ID activities of MySpace (originally, you were required to use a valid college email address (which is something most people don't have unless they go to college, and even then only have one), such as one ending in @evansville.edu or @uindy.edu, and if your college wasn't in the database you could let the website know and they would make sure the college actually existed). Many vowed to leave when this happened (I was one of them), and it did happen, sending thousands of students away, angry at a man named Mark (the president of Facebook). I haven't visited Facebook now in several months and have no idea what sort of new features they've added, but I'm sure it's enough to get lost in.

A little biased, but overall, I thoroughly enjoyed Facebook until they introduced it to the high schoolers. In my opinion, a certain level of maturity is required (and besides, the high school feature was pretty much a public deal, except you had to tell it what high school you were from).

August 23, 2007 at 12:09 AM · Does it give you the option to delete all traces of your existence there? Like if all your friends ended up being guys not wearing shirts or something?

August 23, 2007 at 01:26 AM · Sorry, Jim. I already got the screen capture. ;-)

August 23, 2007 at 01:27 AM · DISCLAIMER: No actual unclad gentlemen were used in the making of this joke.

August 23, 2007 at 06:30 PM · Seem like another way to surrender your time to technology. SHOULDN'T YOU BE PRACTICING??????

Maybe that's another difference between age groups and violin skill acquisition. I'm stingy with my time and prefer the fiddle.

Yes, I remember computer punch cards and long waits...In fact I rmember a lot before punch cards......... :-)

Mary

August 23, 2007 at 11:05 PM · I just read your profile, Mary. My son's piano teacher told me, when he started, that if I simply do what he's doing, I'll learn the piano! So I'm at the end of piano Suzuki book 1. :) "Musette."

August 25, 2007 at 04:22 AM · When you close your account, Fbook does not delete your account, but waits for you to log in again, and restores it all back to however it was before you closed it. No permenant way to delete it.

As for removing groups, friends, profile info, etc, what is done is done. You dump a friend, and the only record is what shows up in the Feed (which all of your friends will see unless you manually delete that event).

August 25, 2007 at 05:24 AM · I don't understand. If I was assigned to figure out how this works, I'd set up multiple accounts and see how they interact.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Los Angeles Philharmonic
Los Angeles Philharmonic