FASHIONABLE, DESIGNER CASES FOR WOMEN?

August 5, 2007 at 08:19 PM · Hello, this is my first post. Let me introduce myself--I'm a pianist, with a violinist's heart.

From working in a violin shop and browsing violin/viola cases online, I've noticed that there aren't many options in terms of fashion for cases. Granted it's more important to purchase a case for its protectiveness, but me, my girlfriend and her violinist friends all think there needs to be a revolution!

I'm approaching a major U.S. designer with some case designs for women. since women and younger girls like to accessorize, why not accessorize their violin cases?

My question is, is it just us, or do the female violinist population agree that they're sick of black, brown, grey, and other dreary colour options for the exterior? I believe class and sophistication can be brought to violin cases.

Like purses, if every woman had the same coloured or similar coloured purse, it would be confusing, no?

Anyway, I would just like to ask all of you if you would give me some honest input on this subject!

Thank you in advance,

Ed

Replies (25)

August 5, 2007 at 10:56 AM · Oh by the way, who here likes Vera Bradley?

August 5, 2007 at 08:22 PM · I couldn't agree more. <3

August 5, 2007 at 08:47 PM · Something too flashy attracts too much attention.

Thus why Musafia creates cases with positively gorgeous interior appointments (look at their custom cases with all the manner of textiles and designs), but the exteriors are always plain.

August 5, 2007 at 09:16 PM · I'd like to see something in ripped denim, please.

August 5, 2007 at 09:19 PM · Is this for real? Violin cases: the next Prada handbag? ;-)

Anyway, I never even thought about the possibility of "designer violin cases for women". I'm perfectly happy with my black Musafia. (Customized interiors are pretty cool though.)

August 5, 2007 at 10:20 PM · Gee, I like black, brown, and gray. The added bonus is that gray and black cat hair is cleverly disguised on clothing!

August 5, 2007 at 10:28 PM · Oh, lucky. My cat is white with orange and black patches, but seems like the white fur is all she ever sheds. Argh...

August 5, 2007 at 11:05 PM · Just assure there is adequate room for the shoulder rest and other accouterments within the case.

The violinist wants to carry everything they need in one package--self contained...

Colour does'nt matter that much---room matters...

August 5, 2007 at 11:10 PM · Thanks for your responses thus far!

I agree with all of you, the functionality and protection is of utmost importance.

ALso, I understand that colours/design is all subjective. I intend to try to design some styles for the more mature audience as well as the teenage-twenty something audience.

I will take all of your comments into consideration!

August 6, 2007 at 12:02 PM · Great, a girly question! When I needed a case for my second violin, my first consideration was did it have a body strap, as I like to keep my weight evenly distributed due to a previous back injury. Also I was fed up with scaring passengers at Heathrow with something that looked like a machine gun, so I went for a less scary shape.

After that aesthetics were important. Jewel colours are good for the inside of the case, but since they didn't have my first choice purple, I bought a case with green velvet inside, and accessorized it with a bit of red velvet to protect the inside of the case. You can laugh at me for saying this, but the contrast between the green and the red really pleases me every time I open my case.

Colours are important, but not the be all and end all. When I bought my car, I kept insisting I really wanted a red one which they couldn't supply at short notice. They offered me £500 off the silver one in the forecourt just to get rid of me. I took it, but it's not the same, and next time it will be a red car.

August 6, 2007 at 05:14 PM · I'm deciding which case to buy right now, and my qualm is that there aren't enough modern looking but durable designs out there! I was talking about the Bam Hightech violin case, a bright silver one, in a discussion here. The look is great, however, the case is nowhere near as strong as the Musafia cases (pretty, but classic looking). I'd like to find a happy medium between the two: a modern design I would be proud to carry, with the protective features of a classic case.

August 6, 2007 at 05:30 PM · I kind of agree that violin cases are so plain and boring! Look at the cute colored cello cases available in comparison!

http://www.lindawest.com/Bobelock_2000_hard_cello_case_p/bobelock2000.htm

August 6, 2007 at 07:25 PM · Bam has some new hi-tech looking carbon fiber weave pattern violin cases, but the wait for dealers in the US to get them makes it difficult (although it seems French shops don't have the same delay problem, hmmm...).

The one case I saw looked very attractive, definately unique, and has the strength and durability of carbon fiber.

Bobelok came out with a pink case a couple of years ago for the younger crowd, but not much has been done for those over 12.

August 6, 2007 at 06:56 PM · I'm a one-purse woman and also a one-violin-case woman; I wouldn't want to switch back and forth. For that reason, I appreciate cases in neutral colors. Don't get me wrong, I love color; but it would be difficult to plan a wardrobe around a flashy-colored case, just like it's hard to dress around a flashy-colored purse.

August 7, 2007 at 12:58 AM · By the way, the case exterior wouldn't be COVERED in the patterns saturated with a bright colour. There would only be a band here or there on the outside of a design or pattern. I didn't like those cases/case bags that are covered by the floral/paisley patterns, in fact those are tacky (to me). What I propose is something that's tastefully done.

August 7, 2007 at 01:15 AM · Obviously, what's needed is a collection of case covers (case bras?) which can be selected according to a woman's mood and attire.

Lacy for seductive evening gigs or when out on a date; the carbon fiber look for techno music gigs; somewhat revealing for the young woman "on the move" or who wants to embarrass her parents?

August 7, 2007 at 02:12 AM · Thank god for women who want to embarass their parents.

August 7, 2007 at 03:25 AM · My daughter has a dark green violin case, and mine is navy blue (although I picked it up used, so the exterior color wasn't my choice). I think in a group of student instrument cases, all black, it's nice to have a slightly different color, but not something radical!

August 7, 2007 at 03:55 AM · musafia is already doing this.. just bring in the stuff that you want your case made in and they'll do it... i've seen burberry and other feminine designs

http://musafia.com/BurberrySilkL.jpg

http://musafia.com/MaxineKwokCaseL.jpg

August 7, 2007 at 04:02 AM · This is sexist.

August 7, 2007 at 04:28 AM · I want my case to be seriously frumpy.

August 7, 2007 at 01:21 PM · I also like the new Sport case from Gewa. They look like an attractive Gym bag (half moon shape) with outside pockets foran MP3 player and a cel phone. I also like the fact that the handle is stitched on, you would be surprised at how many cases have really bad handle attaching hardware, and how often these come back especially on less expensive cases (obviously).

December 12, 2012 at 04:48 PM · This is an old post but I found it while looking for advice about cases. I think David's idea of case covers (case 'bras') is a good one. It's too difficult to design cases in an industry that already has established favorites. Case covers which would cost less and can be as dramatic of utilitarian as one may want would be an good way to change your look for the venue or just add some temporay excitment. It is something that anyone can invest in without worry about giving up protection for thier beloved violin. I would like to see something like this because even though I like the classic look of cases, a little more color and design is never a bad thing.

Did you ever continue with the idea? Would love to see what you came up with.

December 12, 2012 at 08:29 PM · I'm male. I'd love "flashy" case options.

What does that make me?

Hot pink? Yes!

Purple with hot pink highlights? Even better!

December 12, 2012 at 10:15 PM · Ed and All,

Thanks for your feedback. It is always interesting and helpful to hear directly from violinists regarding what they like about their cases, and about other features that they think could be improved upon. We approached the idea of "stylishness" from both ends of the spectrum - we wanted to create cases that were classically stylish, but that also gave musicians options in terms of customization so that they could add some degree of "flashiness" if they wanted to.

That is why we decided to give the outer shells of our cases a black satin semi-gloss exterior finish, which offers a really nice and sophisticated look (especially compared to what we felt were drab colors in many of the nylon fabrics). We felt that the satin semi-gloss finish was a nice mix between "classic", sophisticated style and a more sleek, modern look. We also felt that it was important to offer options for customization so that each individual could choose a color that matched his or her own personality, as you suggested. So we invested in a few plush interior fabrics that offered "flashier" color options, such as bright gold, sky blue (which is a very light "soft" blue color), and platinum (which is a light silver color). We also had Alison's comment about looking for a case that can accommodate her back problems in mind when we decided to include optional small, lightweight wheels that allow you to pull your case along the floor like carry-on luggage.

We will certainly keep your feedback in mind as we move forward, and perhaps we will offer some even "flashier" options for the exterior shells of our cases in the future - maybe some bright colors or interesting patterns. Thanks again for your thoughts!

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases