'Stunning patina,' LOL!

August 2, 2007 at 04:02 AM · Violin connoiseurs may be interested to see this instrument, which is being described as having a "stunning patina".

Replies (31)

August 2, 2007 at 04:07 AM · Can't disagree there...

August 2, 2007 at 04:52 AM · I'm officially stunned. And shell-shocked. And post-traumatic-stress-disordered.

THIS is the sort of disconnect from reality that I decry all the bloody time.

August 2, 2007 at 06:00 AM · Well done, Oliver!

I don't know how anyone can top this one! Now the important question is what the label says. Does it say Stradivari, or "Copy of"?

Then we'll know if it's a real Strad!

August 2, 2007 at 07:14 AM · Good Lord. That made me feel slightly ill....reminiscent of the type of instinctive revulsion one feels upon seeing a grotesquely deformed person or animal. That violin is warped! And what is that torture device strapped to it? And why are there 27 bids for it?!?!

August 2, 2007 at 10:58 AM · Come on, now. That's the best-looking piece of firewood I've seen in a very long time. And I'm a firewood connoisseur.

August 2, 2007 at 12:56 PM · I am shocked, shocked, that an ugly VSO is for sale on e-bay. I am more shocked that someone has offered $96.00 for it.

What on earth is that shoulder-rest-looking-thing on the violin? Ick!

August 2, 2007 at 12:59 PM · Stunned is a good choice of wording, really. I'd like to have the shoulder rest for my collection, though. Wonder if that is a handmade one-of-a-kind gizmo, or if anybody has seen that thing before? I've handled a lot of flea market/home auction violins (I use the name loosely, of course), and that's something I've never seen the like of. Sue

August 2, 2007 at 01:58 PM · Ewww. I wouldn't even buy that for useless wall art.

August 2, 2007 at 02:29 PM · When I saw the pictures, my mind reeled back to the fifties and polio leg braces. I actually got ill looking at this grotesque horror!

August 2, 2007 at 03:46 PM · Woah...

August 2, 2007 at 03:53 PM · It kind of looks like it was in the Tsunami.

August 2, 2007 at 04:11 PM · Must have been what shoulder rests looked like during Leopold Auer's time... no wonder he wouldn't allow his students to use those things.

August 2, 2007 at 04:23 PM · That device reminded me of the "gimp" scene in Pulp Fiction.

August 2, 2007 at 05:39 PM · I wonder if Jimmy Hendrix used it in one of his flaming performances.

August 2, 2007 at 06:50 PM · Violin for sale. Head gear included.

Only thing I could think when I saw the pictures...

August 2, 2007 at 07:05 PM · It goes to show you can make cash for trash on ebay!

August 2, 2007 at 07:49 PM · Stunning? I guess it's sort of like the "breathtaking" baby on Seinfeld. Ick.

August 3, 2007 at 02:08 PM · Obviously the seller knows nothing about violins... no mention of cracks (which you know there are many), and the pictures... ack Show me a picture of the front of the fingerboard to see how level it is etc. Show me a picture of the "box" where all the strings go.

I did like the curveture of the sides by the F holes.

It's like someone took a lighter to their violin.. looks like fire and water damage to me.

August 3, 2007 at 02:17 PM · At the first sight, I thought it was some special type of violin case(we have many strange violin case nowaday). Perhaps if anyone can make a decent sound with this....ar.....instrument, then a spirit will come out and say "Master, I can offer you 3 wishes."

August 3, 2007 at 02:31 PM · The seller's other violin for sale also has "Stunning Patina!" Must be their specialty ;)

August 3, 2007 at 02:51 PM · And some sucker actually paid $149. for that? Wow.

August 3, 2007 at 05:04 PM · Actually, I recognize that violin ! It is from a set of 6 made in various sizes during the Spanish Inquisition...mostly by prisoners, and using leftover table scraps...the original labels were all marked: Glutz Bros. '38.

August 3, 2007 at 07:24 PM · So is $149 what Patina's fiddles are going for these days?

August 3, 2007 at 07:30 PM · Some person on that page said that it's "possibly a Rigart Rubus violin. If it is genuine then it was made in St Petersburg between 1850 and 1870. If not, then its a Czech copy from last century. Just looking, I think it may be the real thing."

Does that mean anything? It still looks like a piece of firewood to me, but I'm no expert.

August 3, 2007 at 08:04 PM · HAHA!

Hey, I have an old POS violin that I was going to use as a clock one day. Maybe I should put it up for bid and advertise it as an old antique, rare violin. Hell Yeah, rarely used that would be! I could use an extra $150.00 for some more chamber music.

I do not think the buyer will be happy that I sent them an email stating that they just got the worst deal of their life on a violin. Well done antinque selling lady. A natural horse trader you are!

Brian

August 3, 2007 at 08:47 PM · George Gruhn is asking $1500 for his Rigart Rubus, St. Pete. From the photos, it's obviously the same maker (corners, etc). The same maker's name's given in Gruhn's ad.

August 3, 2007 at 10:05 PM · "Q: Hi, thought you might like to know that this is a Rigart Rubus violin. If it is genuine then it was made in St Petersburg between 1850 and 1870. If not,...more Jul-27-07

A: Hi ... thanks for the info ... I will your display your message for all to see ... Regards... Helen"

Huh? Is that maker known for putting torture devices on his instruments? Only way I could imagine somebody identifying that as any particular make..

edit: This other stunning patina instrument from the same seller has additional holes added to its sides, no charge!

August 3, 2007 at 10:57 PM · Okay. I had to educate myself. I didn't know what a patina is. See for yourself.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patina

If the last POS sold for $150.00, I bet this 'stunning patina' will bring twice as much!

Brian

August 4, 2007 at 11:17 PM · Sounds like one of those things you should see your doctor about.

"If you have an enlarged patina..."

August 5, 2007 at 05:43 AM · OMG, that is absolutely disgusting. I think I see a way to make money here. Buy one of the $50 ebay violins, char the wood, and then resell it on ebay as an antique violin with a stunning patina. You can make $100 that way.

August 13, 2007 at 04:58 AM · Clearly the violin was made by Francesco Lemoniani- the shoulder rest contraption by Mephistopheles.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Los Angeles Philharmonic
Los Angeles Philharmonic