Teachers in the Boston Area

July 30, 2007 at 11:13 PM · Can anybody recommend a good teacher in the Boston area? One who can inspire me to really push hard over the next year before I graduate from High School. Someone who it would be worth driving 2 1/2 hours each way to meet every couple of weeks.

Replies (26)

July 31, 2007 at 12:50 AM · Donald Weilerstein

James Buswell

July 31, 2007 at 01:51 AM · in a nutshell... I second both those names.

Buswell should be coming back from his year long sabbatical, and begin to teach again...

July 31, 2007 at 03:26 AM · I have a hard time believing I'd have a chance at getting lessons with Don Weilerstein, though I'd love to. Anyone more realistic?

Thanks for the suggestions though.

July 31, 2007 at 03:32 AM · umm... anyone at NEC, BU, BoCo, Boston Symphony

July 31, 2007 at 01:34 PM · You could also try the Longy School in Cambridge.

July 31, 2007 at 03:03 PM · another suggestion: J. Song at Boston University. Studied with Dorothy Delay and Erick friedman, taught sarah chang when was young, teaches violin, viola, cello...

July 31, 2007 at 03:20 PM · I think the correct name is Janet Sung, not Song.

July 31, 2007 at 05:48 PM · Owen:

You might also try Virginia Neikrug, who's a great teacher. She's in Concord, so you could avoid driving into the city.

Kevin

July 31, 2007 at 06:21 PM · You may also want to ask your current teacher for a recommendation. S/he is in the best position to know who among his or her colleagues would be a good fit for your personality and ambitions. You have not given us any sense of your level or your ambitions, so any particular recommendations we have given may be inappropriate.

July 31, 2007 at 04:40 PM ·

July 31, 2007 at 06:37 PM · Yeah, Rictor is an old friend of mine. He's a great guy and takes teaching seriously.

July 31, 2007 at 07:13 PM · "I think the correct name is Janet Sung, not Song."

I think we're talking about different people. The person I know is called J. Song. His first name is just the letter "J" (He is also male)

July 31, 2007 at 07:42 PM · OK, my Ambitions would be as follows. I hope to major in music, preferably in a conservatory, after that who knows, take orchestra auditions, start a chamber group, I haven't thought much about it.

As far as my level goes I've been working on the Barber Violin Concerto most recently,before that Mozart 5, also Rode/Kreutzer Etudes, and unaccompanied Bach of course.

Hope that helps,

Thanks for the suggestions.

August 10, 2007 at 04:48 AM · This J Song sounds very intriguing, but does not teach at Boston University.

August 10, 2007 at 02:42 PM · If you can get accepted into either the private studio of James Buswell, Eric Rosenblith, or Miriam Fried, I'd say go for it! I have the highest regards all three of them.

One of my former artists that I managed -- pianist Maurizio Baglini used to perform with Mr. Buswell at the Australian Chamber Music Festival. They collaborated with each other on the Respighi Violin Sonata. It was out of this world! Very top caliber playing. Mr. Buswell is extremely friendly. I think you'll like working with him.

Miriam Fried won the Queen Elisabeth Violin Competition in the 1970's. She is considered one of the top women violinists of our time.

Eric Rosenblith was a former pupil of Carl Flesch. He's so funny and a wonderful person. He's a fabulous teacher and he knows Flesch's pedagogical principles inside out.

August 10, 2007 at 02:46 PM · Until he posted right before me, I was going to say that Sung-Duk Song from East Hartford, Connecticut has been posting recently on v.com and sounds like a very smart teacher... Depends of course on which direction you travel towards Boston.

August 10, 2007 at 02:52 PM · Dear E.Smith:

I appreciate your kind comments, and I think I do have alot to offer and have spent alot of time of researching and developing issues in regards to violin pedagogy.

But in comparison with other people I talk about in very high regard, I still have alot to learn. I've felt fortunate that I haven't had to teach to make a living income, so atleast for now I really don't mind sharing the information I've acquired over the years. If it works for the individual, I'm very happy to see and hear that. If it doesn't, then atleast I can acknowledge you didn't give up and gave it another try.

I divide my time between Paris and East Hartford.

August 10, 2007 at 04:57 PM · "This J Song sounds very intriguing, but does not teach at Boston University."

Yes he does. He told me. He used to teach at NEC a couple of years ago... He went to Juilliard and knew and is friends with a lot of Delay's famous students, like Gil Shaham.

August 11, 2007 at 05:11 PM · Sorry, but the faculty list is publicly available at BU as at any school, and his name is definitely not on it. Moreover, I am a current student there.

http://www.bu.edu/cfa/music/faculty/strings/index.htm

August 11, 2007 at 07:34 PM · ^why would he lie about such things? He even told me where his office is in the college of fine arts. The website probably hasn't been updated or it probably only lists major teachers.

August 12, 2007 at 09:31 PM · I have a teacher in North Andover that I drive from New Hampshire for - Bracha Kishinevsky. You can use your favorite search engine to find her info. I tried many other teachers and found her. I think she's fabulous!! Not sure if she's taking new students but might be worth checking out.

August 15, 2007 at 02:38 AM · i currently study with Rictor Noren and as amazing as all of my former teachers have been, Mr. Noren remains the MOST articulate individual i've ever had the honor of studying with...he is warm and inviting in both his personality and teaching techniques. but, he is very professional and pushes his students to be serious...i highly recommend him to anyone who needs a teacher. he's remarkable!

August 15, 2007 at 03:46 PM · I would throw Lynn Chang (NEC) into the mix.

August 17, 2007 at 06:55 PM · If you're in Keene, NH area, I recommend the Keene Community Music Center www.keenemusic.org; and the Northampton Community Music Center www.ncmc.net for western MA

October 15, 2007 at 03:05 PM · I also study with Rictor Noren, and I completely agree with Thomas Giammanco above. I have never had a more articulate, helpful, knowledgeable or concerned teacher than Mr. Noren, and I feel I've improved enormously since I began studying with him.

June 28, 2010 at 06:47 PM ·

Donald Weilerstein (Dorothy Richard Sterling Chair, NEC & Faculty of Juilliard) one of the world top teachers & violinist (First Violin of Famous Cleveland Quartet for 20 years), his students won many international Competitions; including most recent Gold Medalist, Xiang Yu, Menuhin International Violin Competition 2010 & Gold & Bronze Medalist, First Stradivarious International Violin Competition. He is a wonderful teacher, very busy & only take high profile student. My duaghter Mercedes Cheung (Age 8, Canadian Prodigy Violinist; just accepted by Juilliard School of Music Pre-College Division-Young Talented Program)Studies with him.

Good Luck & All the Best!

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe