Ansaldo Poggi

July 26, 2007 at 04:53 AM · Does anyone know any Poggi violin for sale, or know someone who currently plays on a Poggi?

Replies (23)

July 26, 2007 at 12:52 PM · at choice.....

July 26, 2007 at 04:35 PM · Hi Peter, thanks for the advise. Have you spotted any interesting fiddles in the Toronto area?

July 26, 2007 at 05:35 PM ·

July 26, 2007 at 07:02 PM · Jo,

I know that Garemberti, it sounds good.

July 26, 2007 at 08:11 PM ·

July 26, 2007 at 08:47 PM · Milstein had one, as does Rosand. Re the latter, I'd like to re-post the following:

This has a slightly indelicate punchline, but I have it on prety good authority that it's true:

Many years ago Aaron Rosand made his Korean debut. He had a brilliant success, and after the concert some big wigs took him out for a fine dinner. At one point someone asked him: "Mr. Rosand, won't you tell us something about your beautiful violin?"

"Certainly", replied Rosand. "It's a wonderful del Gesu, known as the 'ex Kohansky', etc., etc." Everyone was duly impressed.

"But you know," continued Rosand "I also have a fine Poggi" [Ansaldo Poggi was a very good modern Italian maker]

There were audible gasps of consternation.

"What?? What are you saying??"

"Why are you reacting like that? Yes, I do have a Poggi, and I feel that my Poggi looks and sounds beautiful in its own right!"

More gasps of consternation.

It was nobody's fault. I believe that in Italian, "poggi" means "small hills" - probably where that family originated. But as it happens, "poggi" in Korean means - well, a lady's private parts!

I assume that Rosand only made mention of his del Gesu in subsequent Korean Tours!

July 26, 2007 at 10:03 PM ·

Raphael; Yes... I know that story... but in the version I heard told there was a bit more snickering and less consternation...

Peter; FYI: One of my clients mentioned that Claire Givens was offering an earlier Garimberti (close to the date of yours; I think it was '27 or so), but I haven't seen it. I like the early ones, myself (as you know).

Also, Peter, thanks for mentioning me earlier in the thread. I did have a nice Poggi last year, but it was a little oversized for a violinist (it was a cello). :-) Heard that a violin was available in NY recently, but can't recall who was offering it.

Jeffrey

J. S. Holmes Fine Violins, LLC

July 26, 2007 at 11:51 PM · Peter- Who is Steve McClelland? I like Garimbertis, though in my experience the Bolognese seems to have an edge over Milan with it comes to tone. Have you dealt with the Sound Post or Wilder & Davis?

Jeffery- maybe we can downsize the Poggi cello?!?! since rumor has it that some of them have size issues. Seriously, what's a Poggi violin worth today in the US, if one could be found? Do you prefer the earliers ones as well?

July 27, 2007 at 12:53 AM · Hi Jo;

Yes, I prefer my Poggis on the earlier side... but there are some very nice later ones as well. Retail prices are generally north of $55K, depending on the example... There seems to be a sizable "range" (as is true with many things) these days, as I've heard prices quoted as high as $75K.

Sounds like you know a thing or two about the 'celli, as Poggi did indeed use a smallish (slightly narrow) Strad pattern that does not work for all 'cellists... but they're still too large for violinists. :-)

Steve McClelland is a dealer in Canada... He managed instrument dept. for Shar in Toronto (back when I was VP of the Fine Instrument division) before establishing his own business.

I know Tom Wilder (Wilder & Davis) pretty well (he and I attended the same violin making school in Chicago... I just spoke with him this afternoon). Always seemed to me he was quite good at what he does.

July 27, 2007 at 05:38 PM ·

July 27, 2007 at 01:57 PM · Hi Jo D

I have one for sale at the moment.

In mint condition , 1967. Looks great and sounds even better! 75 000Euro ($100K?). A bit tough with the weak dollar. sorry.

cheers

Sean Bishop

July 27, 2007 at 06:34 PM · Must be a fine one, Sean. Good luck with it! '67. A little bit of Guicciardi's hand in it?

That's quite a price, but it's certainly not the first fiddle or bow I've heard of going for the same number of euros that we're used to seeing them for in dollars... It's no mystery why certain maker's instruments are getting harder to find here in the States. It's a cyclical thing... and has happened with other currencies at various times... but if the dollar doesn't "come up" in relationship to other world currencies, we'll be faced with some adjustments to our pricing structure.

Jeffrey

July 27, 2007 at 11:29 PM ·

July 28, 2007 at 02:38 PM · Yes, Peter... the exchange rate then was a killer for Canadian players... The strong European currencies are now significant market drivers... The size of the US market is probably one of the only things holding the lid on here.

July 28, 2007 at 06:51 PM · Hi Jo,

I have been playing on a 1923 Poggi for about 6 years now. It's a great sounding fiddle and it also looks beautiful. It doesn't look like a typical Poggi, though. The varnish is darker and it looks like it was antiqued. Though I'm no expert, I attribute this to the fact that it was so early on in his career and he was experimenting a bit. From what I understand, he had just finished apprenticing with Fiorini. I've only played on a couple other Poggis and I have to say, I prefer mine. I played on one that was at Morel's shop that was a 1924 and that was very nice sounding. It probably had more projection than mine but not as much quality. It's funny, but I didn't realize they were that hard to come by. Does anyone know where they all are?

July 28, 2007 at 10:13 PM · Probably in collections and with players like yourself who are holding on to them for their careers.

July 29, 2007 at 02:40 AM · Well,it's comparable to serendipity-- no one can predict the future of violinmaking and those-in past-have been suddenly exposed [again] to the limelight of preference to the present...

Opinions constantly vacillate with the passage of time and brief moments of grandeur by individual players and their violin mates continually modify themselves as history progresses...

This is the core of the violin experience---ever changing and usually adapting to the requests of the participants in the interaction thereof....

If you want a specific sound,there IS a maker who will accommodate your wishes;the trick is to find the maker---when you find the maker,you will know and you will pay the maker--modern OR whatever suits your psyche........

Go for Poggi!!!!!!!!!!

April 4, 2009 at 02:09 PM ·

Lot Description

ASCRIBED TO ANSALDO POGGI
A VIOLIN, ITALY, 1925
Labeled ANSALDO POGGI ALLIEVO DI G. FIORINI FECE IN BOLOGNA ANNO 1925, length of back 14 1/16 in (357 mm) with case (3)

Lot Notes

Certificate: Dario D'Attili, New Jersey, June 16, 1980

Price Realized
(Set Currency)
  • $8,750
  • Price includes buyer's premium
Estimate
    $8,000 - $12,000

•  

Sale Information

Sale 2152
fine musical instruments
3 April 2009
New York, Rockefeller Plaza

April 4, 2009 at 04:35 PM ·

"ascribed to"

April 4, 2009 at 05:02 PM ·

Yes, when the auction house says a violin "ascribed to", "atributed to", "labelled  ..." they are not saying that the instrument was made by a given maker.

When the auction house is sure about the atribution it will be offered as "a fine violin by Ansaldo Poggi". 

April 5, 2009 at 06:10 AM ·

I play on one! Don't ask me to sell it though, because it's not mine...

February 12, 2010 at 11:53 AM ·

If  you  wish  to  read  recent  information  on  an  exceptional  violin,  I  would  suggest  you  to  digit  in  Google  "rare  Ansaldo  Poggi  violin"  .....

Regards,

Claudio  Barbieri

Rome,    Italy

October 20, 2014 at 02:09 PM · could anyone evaluate the 1916 ansaldo poggi violin please? Thanks

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Los Angeles Philharmonic
Los Angeles Philharmonic