Okay, what's up with the prunes?

July 16, 2007 at 11:51 PM · After seeing more than one reference on v.com with the words Buri and prunes in the same sentence, I know there's got to be some inside story here I'm missing . . . Please enlighten me. :)

Replies (58)

July 16, 2007 at 11:55 PM · Simple: Buri has a fixation with laxatives (paradoxical though a that sounds in a literal interpretation).

He's not alone, for the record. Martin Luther advocated flatulence as protection against the Devil.

July 17, 2007 at 12:18 AM · THANK GOD for good garlic.

July 17, 2007 at 02:47 AM · I'll never forget when someone wrote "Violinist X [can't remember the name right now] rocks my world." Buri replied, "Prunes rock my toilet." Good times.

July 17, 2007 at 02:56 AM · Violinists are anal-retentive. We know this. So prunes are the natural prescription for the violinist.

Right, Buri? Or is there a more deep-seated explanation? Please, please tell us!

July 17, 2007 at 03:25 AM · Buri, I’m dumb enough to consume a huge amount of prunes after reading your advices. I eat the prunes dry, I cook them with chicken and I even decorate them on salad but am getting no where. It’s like those lupins in Monty Python and they are driving me crazy. Help!

July 17, 2007 at 03:39 AM · LUPINS?!?!?!? Oh, Yixi, you really shouldn't have mentioned Monty Python...spam, spam, spam, spam, spam......

July 17, 2007 at 03:41 AM · I never wanted to be a violinist....

July 17, 2007 at 04:06 AM · Yes, lupins or lunpines! Those purple and pink flowers they looted. Remember?

Ben, we are more fated than we care to believe.

July 17, 2007 at 04:13 AM · I know, I was imitating how they would just squeal LUPINS?!?!?! at the tops of their lungs.

Inspector Flying Fox of the Yard: "I'm charging you under Section 21 of the Strange Sketch Act."

Man: "The what?"

Fox: "You are hereby charged that you did wilfully take part in a strange sketch, that is, a skit, spoof or humorous vignette of an unconventional nature with intent to cause grievous mental confusion to the Great British Public. (to camera) Evening all."

Oh, and no one expects the Spanish Inquisition.

July 17, 2007 at 05:04 AM · The Ministry of Funny Walk!

Now don't get me start on the every sperm is sacred song.

July 17, 2007 at 05:03 AM · Shocking!

July 17, 2007 at 05:14 AM · How about the Lumberjack Song then? Or the Fish Slapping Dance? Or (you knew this was coming) the infamous Dirty Hungarian Phrasebook?

I'm also quite fond of the sketch where a race of pastry-shaped extraterrestrials turn the whole of the population of Great Britain into Scotsmen in order to win at Wimbledon.

(edit: Laurie, check that link, it doesn't link to anything. Maybe you copied something wrong?)

July 17, 2007 at 05:21 AM · Nietzsche has just been booked for arguing with the referee... (Monty Python live at Hollywood Bowl).

July 17, 2007 at 05:39 AM · Mischa, I love you!!!!! I've been wanting to see that sketch for ages, and it totally lived up to my expectations! "...and Beckenbauer in midfield, obviously a bit of a surprise there..." "Wait, Socrates seems to have just had an idea!" Absolutely f***ing hilarious.

July 17, 2007 at 08:36 AM · There was a scene in a Monty Python film where three rather odd characters recited a ditty about a "little fishy that did go...." or something. I can't remember the details but it was so completely, totally absurd. As they spoke, one character walked slowly around with his arms waving in a bizarre fashion. I never laughed so much at any other movie as I did when I saw that. It is the craziest moment I've seen in any film. Only the English could have done it.

I remember the references to prunes from when I first 'discovered' violinist.com for myself in 2004. Maybe the humble prune could be taken as the unofficial symbol of violinist.com. Hard to draw, though.

July 17, 2007 at 09:11 AM · I believe the lowly prune has been designated by Buri as not a laxative, but a RELAX-ative. -As in "let all that pent up anger & frustration flow on out."

Another way of looking t it: Many concertmasters seem to be rather full of it. After a nice bowl of stewed prunes, they will be just a little bit LESS full of it. This is a good thing for all concerned.

Of course, with the way Buri types, he may not have been referring to "prunes" at all, but some other fruit entirely. We may never know.

July 17, 2007 at 09:18 AM · Yixi, you should try flax seed; that stuff is wicked in clearing anyone of anything, especially modestly challenged, anal congested violinists. Make ya sh*@ for a week a sundays!!!!

July 17, 2007 at 01:05 PM · I don't know about violinists being turgid or constricted. In my experience it is the trumpet and French horn players who maybe qualify, in general. A violinist has to have the whole body free (not locked up) in order to play well. The brass players on the other hand at least *appear* to be somewhat more rigid when playing due to the nature of playing the instrument and keeping the air column undisturbed, and all that embouchure stuff. The more capacity for movement the better for us (or at least freedom of movement). So, that is why Buri advocates prunes for violinists. I think.

July 17, 2007 at 01:22 PM · Anyone else remember "Star Trek: The Next Generation" episode where Worf, a ferocious Klingon that normally shuns human food, because human food is not, hmm, still alive, tries a glass of prune juice for the first time. He takes a swallow, and gives the glass an admiring look and says:

"This is a Warrior's drink."

July 17, 2007 at 02:46 PM · Juanita, LOL! You were speaking metaphorically as I did, I hope?

July 17, 2007 at 08:43 PM · LOL Anne so I guess Buri would qualify into the category, BURI THE WARROIR. Although while violinists posture may not be congested during a performance O'Brian, there does tend to be a very "Grey Poopon" like expression on their faces. Ha duh Yixi, of course. Although I must say that watching some pinky finger lifting, wee wee poo poo, pseudo intellectual first violinist doing the "gotta go" dance during a performance, due to a mishap with his/her vitamin water and flax seed extract, would be absolutely hilarious.

July 17, 2007 at 07:35 PM · The line to find out why Buri likes prunes keeps getting longer. It's like when the xBox 360 came out. Hope we don't start fights when he saves face by not showing up...! :)

July 17, 2007 at 10:11 PM · Marionne, call me Jon.

July 17, 2007 at 10:24 PM · How 'bout Jonny, or Jon boy, or maybe even Jon Jon. :)

July 17, 2007 at 10:41 PM · prunes + fibers + kiwi = a lot of crap

I suggest you this cure for the regularity: you'll play 100 times better

July 17, 2007 at 10:42 PM · The very helpful minimalist philosophy is:

do you eat?

sleep?

do you make crap?

and then what the hell problems do you have?

July 17, 2007 at 10:56 PM · Golly! What time of the month is it?

July 18, 2007 at 12:56 AM · Hehehe...

July 18, 2007 at 03:55 AM · Well considering the fact that I've have a good couple of drinks in the past few hours, I'm certain that I don't know; but I do believe that it is right around the time that I should start preparing to think about returning to school. Which means that the rules of parting longer and harder must now be applied. Has anyone ever tried playing with 3 vodka tonics in their system, some very interesting sound can result from something like that. Oh yeah, alcohol will certainly relax the physical and mental state of just about any up tight musician, violinists included. Although stay away from the rum and coke, it is truly the most foul drink ever.

July 18, 2007 at 03:20 AM · I agree about the Rum and Coke - rum and dry is much better, especially if it's a gold/dark rum like Bundaberg.

But I'd never go a concert or a rehearsal under the influence of alcohol. Too relaxed for my liking

July 18, 2007 at 04:17 AM · Okay I fixed it, Shocking!

July 18, 2007 at 04:59 AM · aahahahaha! that's something no prunes can beat! I love you Laurie!

July 18, 2007 at 07:39 AM · Rum and cokes on the house, for Juanita!

Here's to prunes!

July 18, 2007 at 09:58 AM · Heck no girl, are you trying to make me sick?!! I swore off that stuff after I pulled my head out of the toilet, only to find that a video tape of me "gettin jiggy" with some 50 yr old whose face looked like a butt, was being circled amongst my "friends".

July 18, 2007 at 03:29 PM · Drinkin' rum and Coca-Cola...

Now I have the Andrews Sisters running through my cranium.

July 18, 2007 at 05:31 PM · If you don't know him already, can I introduce you to Reginald Perrin ?

July 18, 2007 at 09:01 PM · Back in the day when I used to make my own t-shirts (my first three years of college) with sharpie markers and plain white shirts-sometimes with stencils, mostly free-hand-my favourite one simply said:

"I LOVE PRUNES"

on the back.

I made that shirt shortly after my mom introduced them to me at the point when I was giving up all hope (around the seven day mark)...and less than an hour later I was running to the bathroom screaming...out of joy.

Then on v.com Buri got to mentioning prunes and I knew I had found the perfect website. Violin stuff and prune-lovers.

-Jennifer

July 19, 2007 at 02:31 AM · Ruth, I'm afraid we are not getting anywhere with the question:-(

July 19, 2007 at 02:49 AM · Come on Yixi, you know you love prunes too. PRUNES ROCK!!!!

July 19, 2007 at 03:05 AM · Haha, I knew this thread could get a little *interesting* but I have to admit I wasn't exactly expecting all this!

My question is: WHERE'S BURI? =)

July 19, 2007 at 03:22 AM · in the toilet?

July 19, 2007 at 03:29 AM · Yeah, Buri's here! Now, confess, confess! nobody expects Spanish Inquisition!

July 19, 2007 at 03:32 AM · Yixi...fetch the comfy chair.

July 19, 2007 at 09:30 AM · Prunes is good, 'cause life 'aint always a bowel of cherries.

(I can't believe I just typed that.)

July 19, 2007 at 05:01 AM · ;D

July 19, 2007 at 12:22 PM · We have three wepons at our disposal for dealing with heretics: fear, surprise, and torture. And a nearly fanatical devotion to Jascha Heifetz.

No, wait. That's four wepons! Alright, I'll go out and come back again...

July 19, 2007 at 12:54 PM · Right! We have four wepons at our disposal for dealing with prune juice imbibers and other assorted heretcs: fear, surprise, torture, and a nearly fanatical devotion to Jascha Heifetz. And a collection of shoulder rests of various types and sizes.

No, wait...Bugger!!

BTW, I don't think a comfy chair would suffice in Buri's case. He's made of sterner stuff. Cardinal Fang - fetch the gold-plated E-string!

July 19, 2007 at 04:52 PM · I could type something now but I won't...

July 19, 2007 at 06:41 PM · I'll admit it. I eat prunes daily and I own the DVD mega set of The Complete Monty Python's Flying Circus. Not sure which one I enjoy more.

July 19, 2007 at 07:58 PM · And there are the Chinese and Japanese dried plums, with dozens of varieties of them and they are the yummiest thing in the world! Too bad Buri is not interested in them.

July 19, 2007 at 09:20 PM · Violin.com is an education!

July 19, 2007 at 10:32 PM · Greetings,

Yixi, do you mean umeboshi?

Not a lot of people know this...but actually they are dried apricots.

Also good for the bowels, headaches, gastric disorders in general and can double as a shoulder rest at a pinch,

Cheers,

Buri

July 19, 2007 at 11:00 PM · I thought Japenese Ume (ones used in sushi, for instance)is perserved plum, no? They taste similar to some Chinese dried plums. The character and sound ("mei") is very similar to Chinese word for plum. But I'm not a scholar in Chinese nor Japanese.

July 19, 2007 at 11:16 PM · Greetings,

no. it`s a very common misconception. Ume (Boshi) are referred to as dried plums but are in fact, dried Japanese apricots. Not useful information but could be deadly in the wrong hands...

Cheers,

Buri

July 19, 2007 at 11:17 PM · Greetings,

you are quite correct though, the initial kanji is for plum. Perhaps they couldn`t think of one for apricot...

Cheers,

Buri

July 19, 2007 at 11:50 PM · Did you know the name has been officially changed to "dried plums"? Lobbied for by the "give prunes a chance" commission. The team met with top Washington people, somewhere in the bowels of the Pentagon, offering them loads of free samples. Apparently it was a very moving experience.

And henceforth shall this wonder fruit be known as the dried plum. I recommend Mariani's, but Sunsweet Gold Label works in a pinch, as well.

July 20, 2007 at 03:00 PM · All very educational and amusing, but I'll just stick to a Broker's Gin Martini before dinner. Atually it's a "dirty martini." I make it with olive or pipini juice, or both; I cut some onion into a few small pieces and toss that in. If I really need a kick I'll cut a small piece off a jalapino pepper and toss that in as well. Maybe I'll squeeze out a little of the jalapino juice and drip that in. Oh yes, my wife picked up some olives with cheeze in center of the olive so I might add another olive too with one of these. Hopefully now there's still room for the gin.

Quick story. Years ago we threw a party and made bloody mary's for everyone because they liked them. I made them somewhat hot. Everyone, repeat everyone there got plastered. Then as the party was winding down and the drunks were leaving our house my wife dragged me into the kitchen and showed me a big bottle of unopened vodka. We had forgotten to add the booze to the bloody Mary's. Everyone was drunk off of....nothing. There was zero booze in the drinks.

July 20, 2007 at 06:46 PM · quote: "Then as the party was winding down and the drunks were leaving our house my wife dragged me into the kitchen and showed me a big bottle of unopened vodka. We had forgotten to add the booze to the bloody Mary's. Everyone was drunk off of....nothing. There was zero booze in the drinks."

-that would certainly explain the myth of Cremona!

(I know, I know... I need more prunes.)

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Los Angeles Philharmonic
Los Angeles Philharmonic