play with feelings,,,,,ok, lets be specific:)

July 4, 2007 at 07:08 PM · here is a list of some of emotions that i can think of:

1. anger

2. anxiety

3. fright

4. guilt

5. shame

6. sadness

7. happiness

can you link one piece of music to each on the list, one that is to you pathopneumonic to a specific emotion?

(to my primitive brain and ears, things are either sad or happy:):):) expand my skull please:)

Replies (23)

July 4, 2007 at 07:50 PM · Al, you forgot one (at least).

How about "majestic pride." I'm thinking of the Tartini Variations on a Theme of Corelli, edited (and probably half-written) by Fritz Kreisler.

July 5, 2007 at 02:40 AM ·

July 5, 2007 at 05:57 AM · 1. anger

2. anxiety

3. fright

4. guilt

5. shame

6. sadness

7. happiness

8. peacefulness

9. transcendence

10. confidence

11. strength

12. pride

13. power

Al, are you depressed or something? ;).

July 5, 2007 at 06:03 AM · 8. peacefulness - Andante cantabile from the Schumann piano quartet

9. transcendence - Mahler's 3rd symphony, last movement

10. confidence - L'amour est un oiseau rebelle (the Habanera from Bizet's Carmen)

11. strength - the "Battle on Ice" from Prokofiev's Alexander Nevsky

12. pride - Tchaikovsky's 6th symphony, 3rd movement

13. power - Elgar Nimrod

I find this topic to be very interesting; I hope more people contribute thoughts here...

Cordially,

Adam

July 5, 2007 at 06:49 AM · I would kind of combine confidence, strength, pride, and power into one thing.

July 5, 2007 at 09:55 AM · Muisc is a higher revelation , then any wisdom or philosophy; like Beethoven used to say, He said he aproaches God more easily ...I think he approaches Truth, in a way, at least, because, he, like many others, found the way to the subconciesness, and maybe it is even better we leave all just in the music dimenssion, for example, Prokofiev,...for me, his music is the most frightning ...the contrast between perfection, beauty, at the highest level, taking you to the most exalting states of spirit...contrasting to suddently, chanching mood, to the most frightening and saddest wave of unde in the univers, everything deformed, everything hurts, to tears....and the shock, that change is to strong and sudden, I only see the extem feelings in music, but usually ressemnation, unmeaning of everything, hurt, pain...even the beauty and hapiness in painfull...because of it's inexistence, at some level.

July 5, 2007 at 11:21 AM · adam, you are on a roll! and i envy you for being able to come up with responses just like that. grrrr:) actually do share your take on happy and sad...i really cannot trust what i hear.

sandy/violining al, yes yes, the list of "my" emotion is far from complete. actually sandy, from your prof perspective, is there a more definitive definition of emotion, instead of just "feelings", as in... i am feeling hungry or grandiose, or too sexy for my concerto:)?

adela, that is very eloquent, thanks.

July 5, 2007 at 11:34 AM · I think it is wrong to try to paint Classical Music into only one or two emotional responses. Great art, of any medium, provokes more complex reactions then "Happy" or "Sad".

Also, we can have different reactions to the same thing. Adela, above, posted very eloquently about her emotional reaction to Prokofiev's music. I happen to have another response to Prokofiev. I think Prokofiev composed facetious drivel, even though I like his music! Does that mean Adela is wrong? Of course not, as it is clear in her words how important this music is for her. Am I wrong? Well, maybe, but we are both entitled to our personal reactions. And that is what art is supposed to do.

I caught Znaider/Bronfman's lovely new recording of the Brahms 2nd Sonata on the radio other day, and the idea of trying to pigeonhole that piece into one emotion is rather startling.

July 5, 2007 at 10:39 PM · Greetings,

reminds me of a self deprecatory story the great actress Judi Dench tells about when she toured Africa with the Royal Shakespeare Company as Lady Macbeth. It was received almost universally as a wonderful comedy with the most raucuous laughter occuring in the hand washing `damned spot` scene,

Cheers,

Buri

July 6, 2007 at 12:45 AM · Ludwig sez: "Muisc is a higher revelation , then any wisdom or philosophy; like Beethoven used to say"

That always works fine until it gets put to the test. Maybe he wasn't a genius after all.

Anne, who's your example of somebody who's not drivel? I agree with Adela about Prok pretty much. Backstreet Boys is drivel. But you only have to move up to the Jackson 5 and it's not drivel anymore :)

July 6, 2007 at 01:16 AM · :-)

July 6, 2007 at 03:07 AM · I saw what you had there originally. Going on about how great the Spice Girls are.

July 6, 2007 at 03:07 AM · 1. anger- 5th Mvt of Berlioz's Symphonie Fantastique

2. anxiety- Third Mvt of Barber Violin Concerto

3. fright- O Fortuna from Orff's Carmina Baruna

4. guilt- Intermezzo of Lalo's Symphonie Espagnole

5. shame- Shostakovich Baba Yar Symphony No 13

6. sadness- Barber's Adagio

7. happiness- Jupiter from Holst's Planets

July 6, 2007 at 04:31 AM · I thought to expand on your point but you've said it so well. Spice Girls? lol :D)

July 6, 2007 at 11:43 AM · (from the impressionistic realm of the aesthetically obscure)

Self-important smuggery: 1st movement, Beethoven Kreutzer Sonata.

Belated humorous irony: Almost anything by Haydn

Raucous sarcasm: 3rd movement, Shostakovich Symphony #6

Reflective hangover with dipped-out dizziness: Ravel Sonata

Unrequited love: Chausson Poem

Requited love: 1st movement, Barber Violin Concerto

Enraged moral indignation: 3rd movement, Vivaldi "Winter" Concerto

:) Sandy

July 7, 2007 at 06:46 AM · Sander, Poeme might be based on an interesting short story you can read --> here. Not sure.

P.S. If anybody reads it, I'd like to know how you interpret the end.

July 7, 2007 at 05:07 PM · Seems to me the story ends inconclusively. Which helps convey unrequited love - i.e. wanting for more, wanting resolution, wanting to know "why."

July 7, 2007 at 05:30 PM · I think one of two things happened. She's sitting at the piano playing his tune, when suddenly she feels a baby kicking. The couple had tried to have a baby for a long time without success.

Now, either the adversary is the father of the baby. Or, weirder but maybe more likely, since he was the "walking dead" when we last hear of him, he's used his magic powers to become her baby?!?! That would be one reason to have him be the soulless walking dead at the end, if you take it literally. Well, one other possibility is that she plays his tune and isn't affected by it and then feels the baby and her thoughts go to her husband, who's the father, and they both live happily ever after.

July 7, 2007 at 05:56 PM · I like your analysis a little better Jim. Seems like the "walking dead" interpretation is the most likely, but the others are there also. In any case, I think it's left open to maintain the "mystery."

July 9, 2007 at 03:56 AM · The moods of Vivaldi Winter

Contemplative

ADHD

Contemplative

Bi-Polar

Controlled Frantic

July 9, 2007 at 08:21 AM · Jim, I just now finally had time to read that story. That was so well written, tight-knit, descriptive, and imaginative.

I'm still thinking about which interpretation makes the most sense. I prefer to think he wasn't reincarnated as her child, but I have to figure out why the Malay brought him back to life, yet not really. I don't know.

August 5, 2007 at 11:01 AM · Hello,

Outcry, release of the culmination of love for your significant other at the end of your life: Last minute of Mahler X, 5th movement

August 5, 2007 at 11:14 PM · Hi,Al, Things are wandering a little here, but your initial question is interesting. I note that while reading your list and the several responses, that I don't think of music in the vocabulary you chose. I am more likely to use terms like wistful, contemplative, poignant, aggressive, savage, bitter. Though maybe semi-adjectival versions of how you started? Sue

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Los Angeles Philharmonic
Los Angeles Philharmonic