XIII International Tchaikovsky Competition

June 27, 2007 at 04:58 PM · Today is a first day of Final round on XIII International Tchaikovsky Competition.

http://www.xiiitc.ru/view.asp?en/contest

You can see on-line translation from 27 till 29 of June.

Go to link: www.XIIITC.ru

Begining at 19.00 Moscow time

Replies (42)

June 27, 2007 at 10:16 PM · Great that you found it interesting. So, I’ll try to give you full information which I can find.

III ROUND SCHEDULE ON A "VIOLIN" SPECIALITY

The Moscow International House of Music

27th of June

№3. Nikita Borisoglebskiy (Russia)

№5. Yanki Yucci Manuela (Germany)

28th of June

№ 23. Wang Zhijiong(China)

№ 25. Un Soeng (Republic of Korea)

29th of June

№ 28.Hyon-Su Shin(Republic of Korea)

№31. Mauko Kamio (Japan)

Schedule translations.

III Round of the Violin Competition

June 27, 28, 29 – 19:00–21:30 (Moscow Time)

Link: http:// www.XIIITC.ru/

III Round of the piano Competition

The Grand Hall of the Moscow State Conservatory

27 of June

№7. Lim Dong Hek ((Republic of Korea)

№17.Alexander Lubjantsev (Russia)

28 of June

№ 30. Miroslav Kultishev (Russia)

№ 32. Sergey Sobolev (Russia)

29 of June

№ 33. Benjamin Moser (Germany)

№ 40. Fedor Amirov (Russia)

Schedule translations.

III Round of the Piano Competition

27th , 28th , 29th of June from 19.30 till 23.00 (Moscow Time)

Link: http:// www.corbina.tv/players/pich.php

/

The III round of the CELLO Competition

The Grand Hall of the Moscow State Conservatory

27th of June, 16.00-18.30

16.00 - 5 David Pia (Switzerland)

17.15 - 11 Evgeniy Rumianzev (Russia)

28th of June, 16.00-18.30

16.00 - 18 Ishtvan Vardai (Hungary)

17.15 - 26 Alexander Buzlov (Russia)

29th of June, 16.00-18.30

16.00 - 28 Narek Ahnazaryan (Armenia)

17.15 - 32 Sergey Antonov (Russia)

Schedule translations.

III Round of the cello competition

June 27, 28, 29 – 16:00–18:30 (Moscow Time)

Link: http:// www.corbina.tv/players/pich.php

/

30 June, 18.00 (Moscow Time)

Awarding of the Laureates and Closing of the Competition in the Main Hall of the Conservatory.

Hope it will work.

Because I’m not sure about Cello and Piano translations, didn’t try it.

If you will have any problem with the Links, just go to this site

http:// www.xiiitc.ru/start.asp?en

/

and click On-Line button translation

June 27, 2007 at 11:09 PM · There's an academic paper you can google up titled "The Queen Elisabeth musical competition: how fair is the final ranking?" written by some high-powered statisticians. It says order of appearance is significant in the final ranking. That's encouraging really, because if order of appearance is observed to be significant, it implies they aren't just voting for a favorite.

June 27, 2007 at 11:29 PM · Jim - Should one appear at the beginning or at the end? which has a better chance?

Ihnsouk

June 28, 2007 at 09:16 AM · Unfortunately already for a long time any competition inherently it’s just sports.

To be honest, I hate this kind of things in the music.

And also there is a big problem of “Professor-Student”, if you know what I mean.

Too many talented musicians for the different reasons don’t have chance to pass to the Final on Competitions as Tchaikovsky. Too much of corruption, politic things of some judges. (Z.Bron, V.Spivakov) 3 of 6 Finalists are students of Prof.Bron. I agree that the level of competition unfortunately could be much better. Just remember the names as Boris Gutnikov, Viktor Tretyakov, Gidon Kremer, Ilya Grubert, Viktoria Mullova, Ilya Kaler and many others..

Actually, it’s very pity and it hurts me a lot.

So… I’ve posted this information here, just for people have to know about it. And I’m sorry that I didn’t make it earlier, because of busy time out of Russia.

If you like, here you can find some recordings of II Round of Piano and Violin competition.

http://www.arteandtravel.com

/

On the I and II Round were 4 or 5 Participants which were interesting. Schumann Erik, Borisoglebskiy Nikita, Ostrovsky Sergey, Shishkov Artyom, Kamio Mayuko

I don’t know but think the Favorite will be Kamio Mayuko, because of good playing, and Z.Bron in Jury. So, you have chance to make your decision if you like.

About "Calabrese, Bazzini, Pizza, and Me"… I prefer Japanese Cuisine))

Sorry for my English, it’s not my native language. You can correct something if you will find any mistake). Or, if you like I can write in Russian, Croatian, Serbian languages)

Regards,

Xenia

June 28, 2007 at 07:10 PM · I keep reading the same kind of things Xenia said about Bron. Even from people who'd stand to lose by it. But at the same time, the best defense would be enough credible people just being frank about it.

But better to concentrate on the positive aspects, if there are any :) Got to be something somewhere.

June 28, 2007 at 07:25 PM · From: Skowronski: Classical Recordings

To: Tchaikovsky "fans," et al!

Mr. Skowronski participated in the IV Int'l Competition as only one of seven Americans chosen to do so by our State Dept. It was a virtual sweep for the Russians--Kremer, Spivakov, Isakadze (ass't to Oistrakh), Grindenko and a 'Cold War bone' for Dichterov. Skowronski got the proverbial 'boot' in the prelims, as it were, for he chose to try and 'abend the rules' of the contest just enough so as to get a chance to play for the elite panel of judges and the Great Hall audience.

It was, indeed, the COLD WAR era at its best(?) and all contestants certainly took their chances. But, those were the daze! Read the whole story (as Paul Harvey might have said) on the Skowronski website. www.skowronskiplays.com

Best regards to everyone.

Skowronski: Classical Recordings

June 28, 2007 at 11:14 PM · Interesting story. Why didn't you play from memory? I used to know somebody who learned Bartok #2 in two weeks, played it from memory, and won one of the big competitions with it. At least they claimed that about the two weeks. I'll never fully believe it.

But if your goal was simply to play there, like you say, I can understand, but not why you used the music. I mean, I would have just had a huge memory slip and still be able say I played there:)

June 28, 2007 at 08:26 PM · You have to love how these judges bring their students along. It's not a new thing, this has been going on forever. Good stuff. I remember reading about a competition where this violinist got completely lost and had to start the piece over, and after all of this, won the top prize. From what I remember this person's teacher was one of the judges.

June 28, 2007 at 08:57 PM · Sports is one thing, pro wrestling is another (If you're not American, you won't understand).

They still talk about that game show scandal back in the 50s, but nobody cares if Hulk Hogan pulls out a chunk of metal every time the ref isn't looking.

June 28, 2007 at 08:59 PM · you can listen to recordings from the first round at http://www.forumklassika.ru/showthread.php?t=19259

for those of you who cannot read Russian - the links in the first post are to audio files from the first round.

post #11 has links for videos also from the first round.

ps. I've been watching and following the competition from the round one. Having listened to 2/3 of the finalists I am certain at least two of them don't belong in the finals. Ostrovsky and Shishkov however ABSOLUTELY DESERVED to be in the finals. What happened in the 2nd round is the utmost injustice I've ever witnessed in a competition of such stature.

June 29, 2007 at 03:58 AM · If violin competitions are a sport, and we know how much Russians love sport, I will bet money that Kamio wins this.

June 29, 2007 at 05:52 AM · The other day I watched excerpts of a violin competition with my friend who is not classically inclined and prefers the popular and jazzy tunes. She said, "I hate watching this. They look so serious. No fun. Why is classical field so intimidating? I guess I like the music but the atmosphere makes me not want to listen to it."

June 29, 2007 at 06:17 AM · To I. Cohen: Это супер!!! Огромное спасибо!

June 29, 2007 at 06:58 AM · To Pieter : Они говорят, было решено еще шесть месяцев назад Камио выиграет.

To Xenia : Вы мне жениться?

To Jasmine : они клоуны в костюмах.

June 29, 2007 at 12:03 PM · To Bart: you are welcome;

To Jim: I heard the same rumor and it makes more sense now than before. She is a clear leader because all her competition was eliminated in the 2nd round. Unless we are in for a surprise today as the final two play concerti with orchestra... mark my words - she will walk out with the first prize because everything has been so carefuly calculated.

June 29, 2007 at 03:39 PM · I hate all of this. A homeless person with a banjo is the crystal essense of purity. I can't stand anything else anymore. I won't watch wrestling either. Unless my date dragged me to it.

June 29, 2007 at 03:24 PM · Nate, you're probably referring to last year's Montreal Int'l. The student was actually at a disadvantage for having a teacher on the jury, because teachers were prohibited from voting for their own students, so the maximum number of first place votes she could have gotten was eight, instead of the nine maximum everybody else could have received.

And YES, she had a major memory slip in the memory slip of the Scherzo, and years ago I never thought I'd say this, but it barely distracted from her performance.

June 29, 2007 at 04:55 PM · There should be a general rule (some comps do this as stated by eugene) that a teacher who has a student in the comp cannot vote for his/her student.

June 29, 2007 at 06:35 PM · I'm not sure Eugene if that is the competition I read about but surely this contestant that won did not sound like she was certainly at a disadvantage to me at least. Furthermore a teacher cannot vote for a student, but they can certainly vote against others in a crafty way. I like Jim's analogy between professional wrestling and these musical competitions. He's right on.

June 29, 2007 at 10:24 PM · Nate, someday I if I ever have a trusted friend who won some of these things I'm going to have an in-depth conversation about exactly what went into their wins. Until that time I'm going to reserve serious judgement, to not be naive one way or the other. Speaking seriously, I just don't have anywhere near enough information about it for a conclusion, personally.

Actually, I could give you good mathematical evidence that says competitions are honest (one of them at least), but the "common wisdom" seems to be that they're dishonest. Go figure.

June 29, 2007 at 06:55 PM · Except that the entertainment in professional wrestling is largely derived from the fact that the matches are scripted. There's no such entertainment value in fixing music competitions.

Nobody ever said that only winners are allowed to have international careers. Competitions are for discovering talent regardless of whether or not contestants with said talent end up winning. In the long run, audiences will invariably choose who they like, not whoever is that the jury decides the audience should like.

Quick, who won the 1980 International Chopin Competition? (Hint: it wasn't Ivo Pogorelich.)

June 29, 2007 at 06:52 PM · the results were just announced:

First Prize - Mayuko Kamio (Japan)

Second - Nikita Borisoglebsky (Russia)

Third - Yuki Manuela Janke (Germany)

Fourth - Soyoung Yoon (South Korea)

Fifth - Hyon-Su Shin (South Korea)

Sixth - Zhijiong Wang (China)

June 30, 2007 at 01:11 AM · If you know who's going to win before it starts, you qualify to be a judge. Send in your applications.

June 29, 2007 at 11:39 PM · I was right... I'm getting good at guessing these things.

June 30, 2007 at 12:56 AM · Somebody messed with Google's Russian translator. It was translating "Tschaikovsky" as "God." :)

June 30, 2007 at 01:21 AM · I certainly enjoyed the "Meditation" over in the blog, but have yet gotten some of the others to download.

June 30, 2007 at 04:00 AM · I'm finally getting to hear "Frolov's Fantasia"...

Whew!.

July 2, 2007 at 01:42 AM · Hi, Pieter is the same MontrealĀ“s Kamio?

Wow what a change.

July 2, 2007 at 01:39 PM · >Somebody messed with Google's Russian translator. It was translating "Tschaikovsky" as "God."

Wait... he's not?

Clearly you're not Russian.

(Google's German translator, meanwhile, will translate "Bach" as "God.")

July 3, 2007 at 12:06 AM · Luis... yes, same girl who got 5th at Montreal. But I knew she'd win in Russia (and I told someone that the night she played).

July 3, 2007 at 12:27 AM · Ha ha, Jim and Terez, you are not complaining are you?

Ihnsouk

July 3, 2007 at 02:01 AM · So was this the same Montreal competition that Kamio took 5th and the winner got lost or a different one?

July 3, 2007 at 02:02 AM · Yes, Jin-Joo Cho, restart the 2nd movement in the Shostakovich 1 VC and win, incredible, next in Indianapolis she was eliminated after great performance. I can remember the Montreal competition, a lot emotive, with great talent, the Korean girls, Kamio, the germany guy Tannenberg, etc, i will stay in touch for the next edition

July 3, 2007 at 05:15 AM · Yep, same one.

It ought to be mentioned as well that Bron was on that jury as well and Kamio "only" got fifth...

July 3, 2007 at 09:21 AM · Just for the record, I listened to the second and third movements of Kamio's Sibelius and was impressed. There was an intensity that left me somewhat bowled over at the end. She's a really powerful player, is very clean, has some interesting vibrato colours, and the Sibelius was well structured. Politics or no politics, it was a strong performance.

July 3, 2007 at 09:41 AM · Eugene, that's interesting. What does it mean?

July 3, 2007 at 06:29 PM · I'm only suggesting that Bron on the jury doesn't necessarily mean Kamio wins. There were thirteen students of Tchaikovsky jury members at the competition, and twelve of them didn't win.

July 3, 2007 at 06:59 PM · that is a very good point...but don't you think there's a chance there were other no less prepared students of his, who by some "ill fate" were eliminated from the 2nd round?? I've listened to the whole 2nd round via live broadcast, and must say Eric Schumann sounded a lot more interesting than Kamio. I am still puzzled as to why he was kicked out (he did play on a Strad, so it wasn't the same situation as with Shishkov...who btw remains THE ONLY MUSICIAN in the pool of contestants). I agree that Mayuko won the finals fair and square, but had there been other participants in the 3rd round the outcome may not have been the same. She came out a winner because her competition has been eliminated. The question "why her" can only be answered by Bron, unfortunately...

July 3, 2007 at 07:23 PM · From: Skowronski: Classical Recordings

"Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn!"... quip from Rhet Butler in GONE WITH THE WIND. Perchance the fate the awaits Miss Kamio,....et al?

Best wishes to all. S:CR

July 3, 2007 at 09:36 PM · Actually, I have a suggestion for Eugene and I Cohen that might either deepen the mystery or resolve it. Namely: take a look at the jury composition of the 2002 Tchaik. Then compare it with today's jury. Bear in mind that the names of the 2002 jurors who were NOT present in the 2007 panel includes the "bosses" of three to four MAJOR European competitions.

This tells me that unless Bron is the one picking his fellow jurors, the reasons behind why this or that contestant is pushed or pulled or cut lie elsewhere...

July 3, 2007 at 10:07 PM · "Are they truly great violinists/artists?"

Hell, yes.

Emil, are you saying you'd expect the "bosses" to support people who did well in their competitions? If not, what?

July 3, 2007 at 11:10 PM ·

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Los Angeles Philharmonic
Los Angeles Philharmonic