violinist doing the black eyed peas

June 26, 2007 at 07:15 AM · I gotta love the youth. Makes me enjoy the violin all the more that people get into the violin this way. She's got all this crazy dance moves too, while playing the black eyed peas song. Anyway, enough of my commentary, click the link to watch this...

Replies (73)

June 26, 2007 at 08:06 AM · Wow. What scales did she use to ornament those passages?

Pardon me for saying so, but she. is. HOT. In all senses of the word :-)

June 26, 2007 at 10:27 AM · Stay as far away from that as you possibly can. In all senses of the word.

June 26, 2007 at 01:08 PM · That was pretty cool, although I was afraid of her tripping over the cord

June 26, 2007 at 04:22 PM · Ha Ha how she kept the bow on the string with all the dancing quite a feat! As she said she was having fun. I think letting your hair down is great! Study of the violin can be beyond intense she's having a great time!

June 26, 2007 at 07:31 PM · I want to be her in my next life.

June 26, 2007 at 07:40 PM · I use to move around like that when I played until I got a shot of penicillin.

June 26, 2007 at 08:14 PM · That is insane! Nothing like having fun.

June 26, 2007 at 08:56 PM · And am I the only one who fails to be distracted from the bad, klezmeresque playing by the gangly dancing?

June 26, 2007 at 08:56 PM · This video is an example of what the violin can be---------pure fun just for the heck of it !

and SUCH a dancer !!!

We can all learn from this video---we can learn that we are in it for the glorious fun of it all.

That's what it's ALL about...........

June 26, 2007 at 09:40 PM · Yes I've seen that one before. Pretty cool.

June 26, 2007 at 09:48 PM · She needs to take some hip hop dancing classes seriously. But good technique especially while playing.

Have fun girl!

June 27, 2007 at 02:03 AM · i wish i could meet someone like in that in real life... dang...

June 27, 2007 at 02:29 AM · Ha. Meet her in real life and you're a potential suicide. See my first post. I don't think you mean meet to form a band.

Anyway, I noticed she isn't improvising so much as repeating large sections. That's the first trick in her little game. Umm hmm.

June 27, 2007 at 02:48 AM · Jim:

Why are you touting her so ?

She is just having a bit of fun.

To the enjoyment of many !

She is good,real good !

You are 'reading' signs that do not exist !!!

June 27, 2007 at 02:58 AM · Why tricks? Why can't a kid play for the joy of playing (or anyone for that matter?) Hip Hop isn't the easiest thing to play to. I hate Hip Hop but she made me enjoy it, isn't that what music is about?

June 27, 2007 at 03:05 AM · "You are 'reading' signs that do not exist !!! "

Ha! You know they exist or you wouldn't know what I was doing! This woman cannot be controlled by anyone who doesn't have tremendous power over women, like you and I have. Very dangerous. Very dangerous.

June 27, 2007 at 05:32 AM · Why do women need to be controlled?

June 27, 2007 at 05:55 AM · Yeah! What Emily said!

June 27, 2007 at 05:57 AM · Ha ha, Jim! Now defend yourself!

June 27, 2007 at 06:19 AM · Hold it, lower your weapons women! I wasn't waging war, just asking a simple, innocent little question... (halo twinkles) 0:)

June 27, 2007 at 06:53 AM · Cool! 1)She's having fun.

2)She probably doesn't have to bother with signing up at the gym,...so it's good financially

3)Time saving ...you get your work out and violin practice done and the same time.

I wonder if anyone has ever come up with a whole body work out DVD for violinists ... (I'll buy it if there is one)

June 27, 2007 at 04:27 PM · Girls, girls, quit being so 1980s. Once she's made the purchase, the purchase owns her, and that's the control, in Thoreau's sense that the train rides the person.

You know, I would bet that the guys who find her appealing in this video (most of us) feel mainly a twinge of sadness evoked. You know, the girls crying over the Beatles in those old clips weren't crying tears of joy.

June 27, 2007 at 04:39 PM · "Once she's made the purchase, the purchase owns her, and that's the control, in Thoreau's sense that the train rides the person."

I must admit to be the lucky one then: After the "purchase", I am still the train--It's what you purchase, not the purchase, Jim... :-)

June 27, 2007 at 04:58 PM · That means you could easily leave him :) Maybe that is the luckiest situation. One's preferences I guess.

June 27, 2007 at 05:04 PM · I want that that electric violin!!!

Girl excluded

June 27, 2007 at 05:19 PM · "That means you could easily leave him :)"

Should I comment on this question, Jim? Will my honest comments lower my "market value" as a result? :-) I will stop now before turning this thread into a romance Q&A or insight into romance. :-)

June 27, 2007 at 05:27 PM · Ok, back to regularly scheduled "But that's not really hip-hop." But she's doing a great Crip Walk at one point...

June 27, 2007 at 05:30 PM · I came away smelling gypsy rather than hip-hop. She's very talented. The Celtic Woman II.

June 29, 2007 at 05:58 AM · Jim, I certainly don't feel any sense of sadness watching this girl. She's having fun, and she's fun to watch AND listen to! That's a part of what music is all about; it doesn't always have to be about technical perfection.

And I don't care if it's not hiphop. Like I said in my first post: She. is. HOT. :-)

June 29, 2007 at 07:11 AM · That just means you're a lot healthier than me. In fact people probably like you. Doesn't mean she won't kill you though.

June 29, 2007 at 07:35 AM · Ah, well. We all die sometime, don't we, Jim? :-)

Better to go with a smile on my face... :-P

(There's a joke in there about coming and going at the same time, but I won't go there... Because there's no coming back! Heehee)

June 29, 2007 at 07:42 AM · I like your attitude. See if you can fix me up with her grandmother.

June 29, 2007 at 08:17 AM · Jim,

Hahaha! :-)

In the end, though, one must ask... If a person knowingly chooses to walk into a trap, is s/he truly trapped?

I guess it all depends on the kind of trap. I, for one, find entrapment inevitable anyway, so I just choose the best ones to fall into.

:-)

June 29, 2007 at 03:13 PM · Yes, do choose your trap. Some will make you gnaw your leg off.

August 22, 2007 at 12:35 AM · Lol Jim, God though some of you guys are so mean. Afterall, she's only a kid and what's so wrong with having a bit of fun, even if you do end up looking like a complete lunatic. If you guys wanna see some real moves while playing, you should check out Mairied Nesbitt of Celtic woman. She's just this tiny fireball, but good lord can she play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wzMfSiOkMQ

August 22, 2007 at 12:54 AM · Ha. This thread again. It isn't the having fun. No sir. It's that I can read auras on youtube. This one could be a lot worse, but still. I'm so sensitive that I walk around with gooseflesh all day long. A couple more posts and I'll be able to tell you your life story.

August 22, 2007 at 01:02 AM · Jim:

How did you learn to "read auras" ???

August 22, 2007 at 07:52 AM · A workshop in California, Joe, how else?

I like the tune in Juanita's link more, but I like the other performance better maybe. The tune in Juanita's link would have some interesting possibilities. Maybe a symphonic fugue middle movement or something. The performance is too Vegas for me though. I suspect it's lip-sync'ed, really. Homegrown is ok.

And the accompaniment is sitting too low in the mix, in order to highlight the fiddle. Makes it less fun to hear than it could be. You might do that for an audience that just wanted to hear a pleasant tune, and not complexity.

August 22, 2007 at 01:20 AM · ^ must be nice to have the ability---very few,if ANY have such.........

August 22, 2007 at 01:52 AM · Joe, don't take me too literally:) But there's a bit of truth in it. Growing up, I had to learn to predict where things were going, to avoid flare-ups and the like, and I think I learned how to make use of small amounts of information. Skills developed since childhood and all that.

August 22, 2007 at 02:11 AM · ^ perhaps,a mere fragment of truth----nothing more.....

August 22, 2007 at 02:16 AM · Has anybody got anything else ;)

August 22, 2007 at 01:49 PM · Haha! I KNEW someone would bump up this thread again sooner or later...

I still think she's hot :-P

August 24, 2007 at 02:21 AM · Hey all!

I've actually talked a little with this lady on youtube. Her name is Lindsey and she's currently in college somewhere out in the western US. That's all I've got, but at least you've got a name to go with the player now :-)

Oh, and here's another video of her, playing at the Junior Miss Scholarship Pagent in Mobil, Alabama. http://youtube.com/watch?v=SIp_Q4DQ8uU

Jason

August 24, 2007 at 01:30 PM · You talked to her, but she's Lindsey something, out west somewhere. Did you notice how she edited out the TV show announcer saying her name? That's because it is forbidden to be spoken by mortals.

August 24, 2007 at 01:25 PM · come on guys, dont be so red eyed about someone doing black eyed. let people be.

August 24, 2007 at 01:32 PM · Ha! She started it.

August 24, 2007 at 01:38 PM · While I see exactly what you're talking about Jim, and find your perspective highly entertaining, I'm with Al on this. It's not like she's 90 years old. She's probably about 18. Sorry guys, she's probably not ready for a good relationship but how many of us are at 18?

She's not bad on the violin, nor at dancing. Hopefully she gets better. She's not great at either...either.

August 24, 2007 at 02:55 PM · Look out, your misogyny is showing!

Let a girl have some fun without getting so threatened! Do we harangue men this way, NOOOO. I guess because men aren't so deeply threatening to the wellness of the universe as women are. Gimme a break. And give her one, too.

August 24, 2007 at 03:45 PM · *applause*

August 24, 2007 at 04:22 PM · I'm no mis...misog...woman hater!

No need to break it into men and women. Women are different from each other.

It's interesting people assume I don't want her to have fun. Where does the guilt about having fun come from?

I'm kidding of course, but as Terry recognizes, there's a kernel of truth, for the time being.

August 24, 2007 at 04:25 PM · I know you aren't, Jim. But people start getting on a bandwagon. I'm still mad about what everybody did to Rock 'n' Roll Melissa.

August 24, 2007 at 04:59 PM · I don't remember what they did to Melissa, but most likely it really was over her having fun. Easy to ignore. But Melissa's aura is entirely different from this. I read Melissa as very warm and with her vulnerabilities exposed...

August 24, 2007 at 04:37 PM · The guilt from having fun comes from being Catholic!

August 24, 2007 at 05:08 PM · You validate that impression in a way by being mad about what they "did to" her, considering that you know her.

P.S. oops got in front of me :)

August 24, 2007 at 05:06 PM · Melissa is. She's a total sweetiepie, really great player, confident female, with a degree from Peabody, doing her thing in both the classical and rock world. And no, it wasn't you. After having many clips up on "In Concert," of many different levels, suddenly a cabal of college guys attacks her playing when I put her recording up. They were provoked by her sexy picture and attacked the playing. It's pretty transparent. It's okay to attack this person's playing because she dared to put it out there as a woman, playing a classical piece, and gee, we know how this piece SHOULD be played because we have a recording of a great dead guy playing it.

If it had been a recording posted by a 30-something male, with no picture attached, no one would have said a thing. I know, because there have been many recordings, at all different playing levels, and I watch the comments every day.

August 24, 2007 at 05:24 PM · I didn't let it stand, actually, I cleaned it up. I don't want people victimized on this site, and it includes famous people, sexy people, clueless beginners, young people, old people, etc.

I'd really like to protect women on this site, and let women be women. For that matter, I'd like people to be able to show us whatever it is they want to express on the violin, be it a classical interpretation, hip-hop, hop-hip, fiddle, klezmer, mariachi band, Indian, Celtic, male, female, gay, straight.

August 24, 2007 at 05:47 PM · "30-something male, with no picture attached, no one would have said a thing"

I think feeling (being) threatened is on the right track. A challenge, or something that evokes the thought. Also, guys like to have fun, too ;)

Your video reminded me your daughter's instrument is guitar. It's important you encourage her to sing, especially, and her writing too.

August 24, 2007 at 05:45 PM · Being threatened by what, Jim? Because a woman gets more attention by being a woman? So she's taking market share away from the male who plays the violin at the same level?

I don't buy it. I think you have to fully be yourself, or at least to fulfill your artistic vision of what you see as a performance. That includes not just your playing, but your entire presentation. The male who doesn't bother presenting anything other than a sound clip is copping out. (As is the female who does the same, for that matter.) You don't just win people with your playing; your playing doesn't come in some kind of tidy box that is isolated from the rest of your being. It's a performance. That's what separates a performing artist from a synthesizer.

And there is plenty else to offer besides a sexy picture: you can offer your thoughts about a piece, your video, your concert date, your paintings, your new composition, your blog link, your collection of cat pictures, God knows what, but it will appeal to someone.

If all someone offers is the clip, then they are either holding back, or they've failed to develop some other essential qualities as a human.

August 24, 2007 at 06:26 PM · Laurie, I don't think I'm tracking you exactly, but the threat is this:

Traditionally the man is the aggressor, and the woman produces a stop sign or a go sign. The threat is the threat of losing. It really is losing or winning, and she's the judge. Some women might not like that arrangement, they might intellectually prefer something else, but I suspect that at some level they want it or expect it. It's deep tradition for both, maybe biological. If a woman's husband suddenly decided it was ok to see other women, AND society said that was ok, she might react the same way. That's the threat. It becomes how do you compare. Now, it doesn't matter too much that it's just a blurry video of somebody on the other side of the world :) And there is a different kind of woman, maybe in the minorty since we're all so messed up, who is warm and is different. That's the one to look for.

August 24, 2007 at 06:35 PM · Here's a completely fictional story. I don't even know if it is relevant. But a little change of subject that more or less falls under the topic of discussion might be a nice diversion.

Let's say caveman Grog wants the phone numbers of 5 cavewomen. Now, if he works really hard this might take him a week.

Let's say cavewoman Grogette wants the phone numbers of 5 cavemen. This takes Grogette 5 minutes.

Now, if Grog is really a heck of a guy, it might only take him 6 days instead of week. Unfortunately, if he is more or less a really obvious loser, it might take him 3 years.

On the other hand, if Grogette is rather unattractive, it may take her quite a bit longer, say 6 minutes instead of 5.

August 24, 2007 at 06:46 PM · *sigh*

August 24, 2007 at 08:40 PM · Terry, actually it was just the opposite back then. But one day a caveman decided he wanted all the women. So he made laws the other cavemen had to follow, and he just took over. It was better strategy than he could have known. Women loved it! He had a Flintstones limo full of chix. In fact they would compete to get in there sometimes, to prove their own worth;)

August 24, 2007 at 09:08 PM · I think Lindsey did a great job with this video. It's fun and, regardless of what you think of her playing or dancing or anything else, she's gotten herself noticed and out there. I've had this video linked to my myspace page, forwarded to me by friends who'd had it forwarded to them, and here it is on violinist.com as one of the BIG discussions. Pretty awesome job of marketing herself if you ask me.

August 24, 2007 at 10:25 PM · The playing and dancing isn't bad, because it's not making the rounds in order to be ridiculed. Would it be possible for a young man to do a similar thing? Or to turn what Laurie said around, what if it was a 30 year old man and no picture. Would she get the slight ridicule she does get if the playing was impressive enough to get a 30 year old man with no picture noticed? Sort of interesting.

Somewhere I read a well-known manager talking about the dilemma he has marketing beautiful women musicians. One solution would be don't push the beauty aspect farther than the playing skill will allow. I don't know why that would have to be, but it seems like it does.

August 24, 2007 at 10:17 PM · Jim:

Only through the mainly beneficent umbrage of the Editor of this site have your opinions been relatively unscathed.

Generally,your comments are far-flung and even incredulous to many,particularily on this thread...

August 24, 2007 at 10:30 PM · I think Jim makes some excellent points in this thread.

There are plenty of times when I strongly disagree with his unabashed viewpoints (which is fun and spurrs discussion), but this 'aint one of 'em.

August 24, 2007 at 11:34 PM · "Only through the mainly beneficent umbrage of the Editor of this site have your opinions been relatively unscathed."

What is it you're so sure of, Joe? I have no idea what you're trying to say.

But I can tell you Laurie isn't someone who would edit posts she disagrees with, if those posts are reasoned. And mine are reasoned, even if you aren't fully following it. On the other hand, I could be wrong and this could be my last post here :)

August 25, 2007 at 12:02 AM · Not likely. :)

But I bristle at the idea that a woman needs to somehow tone down her beauty to "match" her playing level. What on Earth does that mean? First, it's an apples-to-oranges comparison, second of all, it's just plain outrageously WRONG!

It does remind me of a concept I heard on NPR, though, about the "weirdness" factor, which is basically the same in application as the beauty argument. It went something like this: the more competent a worker is, the higher degree of "weirdness" his co-workers and higher-ups will allow him or her.

So if you are a mediocre-decent female violinist, you need to "tone it down," is that it?

(insert Laurie, shrieking with outrage)

August 25, 2007 at 02:37 AM · Not tone down but rather not emphasize as much as you could otherwise. And I don't know the reason, like I said. You've probably read if you're too pretty you may have difficulty being taken as seriously. Maybe the bimbo or floozy stereotype? To the extent that someone's playing is debatable, giving her Farrah Fawcett hair would compound the problem, I think. Not what I would like to see either, but maybe how it is? Conversely, when someone's fine playing isn't debatable, then doll her up. Make her someone who "has it all" as they say. Leilia J. is the latter, even had a modeling career I think. Even some "weirdness in the workplace" she's allowed too maybe, with her bowgrip and right side violin hold? It's all very enviable and therefore very marketable. Just a theory. Actually, the job of marketing a performer should probably be to create envy.

September 30, 2007 at 08:08 PM · At the risk of stirring up the hornet's nest (again)...

Melissa: FTW!!!

September 30, 2007 at 08:15 PM · The creature that wouldn't die!

September 30, 2007 at 09:00 PM · Not this thread again!

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Los Angeles Philharmonic
Los Angeles Philharmonic