Yost Shifting Exercises- Need Copy!

June 26, 2007 at 07:12 AM · My teacher wants me to work with the Yost shifting exercises- they are out of print. Does anyone have a copy they would be willing to scan or xerox and send to me, either by e-mail or post?

E-mail: tompkins.kevin@gmail.com

I'm not going to post my mailing address up here, but if you can mail it to me, send me a message and I'll give you my address.

Replies (20)

June 26, 2007 at 07:58 AM · I have it. I'll mail it.

February 4, 2008 at 09:31 AM · That Yost's an elusive guy. Kevin's inspired me to follow his example and ask if anyone would be willing to zip off a copy of the shifting exercises and send them to me via the internet or the mailman. I've been looking high and low for the things, so if anyone steps forward, I'll not only offer the hero my address, but my gratitude as well. I wonder why nobody's ever reissued Yost's books...

February 5, 2008 at 01:33 AM · Ooo me too me too! I had a photocopy once and it got lost and separated over the years. Anyone willing to share the wealth of their copy of Yost??? :D

February 5, 2008 at 02:32 AM · A shifty Haiku.

My Yost is lost.

Send me a new one.

B'&%$# the cost.

May 22, 2010 at 12:22 AM ·

I want one too! Someone please email it to me! My teacher would like me to do the exercises as well. My email is ppurkett@mail.usf.edu

May 22, 2010 at 06:03 AM ·

Sent.

May 23, 2010 at 01:47 PM ·

I would love to get my hands on these as well. The only out of print music that I'd be able to offer in return is the Benda Etudes. Would someone be interested in sending them?

May 23, 2010 at 02:57 PM ·

The Yost System was uploaded on Rapidshare a while back, and is still available there.

May 23, 2010 at 03:00 PM ·

Just write down your email adresses and someone might mail it to you.

May 23, 2010 at 07:52 PM ·

Can anyone tell me how to find it on Rapid Share?

May 24, 2010 at 02:20 AM ·

http://www.filestube.com/254b80a7a9bc129c03e9/details.html

click on the blue bold print under the green arrow.

then a new window will open. click on 'free user'

you'll have to wait 25 seconds or so, then click the blue circle that says download.

May 24, 2010 at 06:17 AM ·

Just got a  copy, and became curious: this booklet was published many years after Sevcik's  op.8, yet Yost claims that the shifting methods available are 'inadequate and unsystematic' . Can anyone tell me on which basis he can claim to present something better? At first glance, his method doesn't seem to be more comprehensive than Sevcik's.

May 24, 2010 at 09:52 AM ·

It is more systematic than Sevcik with out doubt. Yost breaks it down to finger and position in a way that makes Sevcik sound musical.

While they attempts the same thing, Yost just shows the bare technique while Sevcik uses way more notes to teach the same thing, so in a way Yost out-sevciks Sevcik :)

May 24, 2010 at 10:46 AM ·

Hum.... I would be more convinced if someone gives me a practical example comparing exercises  from both.

Of course, I would also be very interested to know what is 'inadequate and unsystematic' in the op.8, and why after a century so many great conservatories and teachers still advocate it instead of Yost, which by the way I am hearing of for the first time.

May 24, 2010 at 02:14 PM ·

Why should it be black or white? It is not like one is genial and the other useless. They have different approaches and are benificial in their own way.

If you look at both collections and don't see how they are different, I can't help you. But for me it is obvious. I prefer Sevcik for he is more musical almost etude like and are easy to assign of a weekly basis together with the introduction of three octave scales, but when a student has a problem in the midst of a piece all teachers make up exercises on the spot that look like Yost.

May 24, 2010 at 03:38 PM ·

One of my teachers introduced me to a few really useful exercises from Yost: the "one finger scales." Use the following fingerings:

1-1-1-1-1-1...
1-2-2-2-2-2...
1-2-3-3-3-3...
1-2-3-4-4-4...

And on each *string*, play the following in one or two octaves starting on first finger Ab/Eb/Bb/F:

Major
Natural, Harmonic, Melodic Minor
Arpeggios (Minor, Major, Augmented, Diminished, etc...)
Chromatic
Thirds
Sixths
Octaves
...and so on.

November 4, 2010 at 03:57 PM ·

Please pass the Yost!

I am hoping that someone can take the time to pass it to me!

Thanks,

Elizabeth Wrede

November 4, 2010 at 04:31 PM ·

I'm afraid I've lost my Yost.

EDIT: Sorry' didn't realise the joke had already been used on here!!

November 5, 2010 at 05:33 PM ·

Aleyna, many thanks for the link.  Despite dire on-screen warnings that I'd be sitting twiddling my thumbs and cooking a meal while it downloaded on their "guest" setup if I didn't register officially, it in fact downloaded in 3 or 4 seconds, all 20 pages of the 1.3MB pdf file. The emperor wasn't wearing any clothes, it seems.

November 5, 2010 at 06:06 PM ·

Gaylord C. Yost emailed me with the following information:

The following works by Gaylord Yost, author, composer, and violin teacher are now in print and available by contacting gaylyost@aol.com.

Studies in the Pizzacato and Harmonics

Scale and Arpeggio Studies   

Key to the Mastery of the Finger Board

Exercises for Change of Position

Key to the Mastery of Bowing

Key to the Mastery of Double Stopping

Spivakovsky Way of Bowing

Studies in Finger Action and Position Playing

Arlette

Each are available for $9 plus shipping. Arlette is available for $5 plus shipping. If you wish to pay using PayPal, please do so using my email address in the PapPal account window. I will make a donation of $1 to Violinist.com for every volume sold.   Gaylord C. Yost  414-354-8987 or
 gaylyost@aol.com

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Los Angeles Philharmonic
Los Angeles Philharmonic