what else do you spend your time on besides violin this summer?

June 22, 2007 at 08:45 PM · been on the road for a week. my kid now faces the judgment day of yet another violin lesson later today...very very underprepared. Kreutzer #7 looks so up and downish.

this is to blame:) http://www.wgem.com/News/index.php?ID=14058

how do you plan to sqaunder your time?:):):)

Replies (33)

June 22, 2007 at 11:10 PM · Massive Closet Re-organization (One down, four to go).

Re-painting three rooms, walls + ceilings. (Maybe).

Steam cleaning wall-to-wall carpeting (Borrowed a nice steam cleaner for the summer...Huzzah!).

I adore the extra practice time, and can actually get everything done!

Extra reading too, as I am going to read "Don Quixote" (Edith Grossman's new translation) for the very first time!

Golf? Isn't that a good walk spoiled :)

June 23, 2007 at 01:13 AM · This is my first summer of not doing any music festivals -- so I have been giving this a fair amount of thought!

~ we are hoping to move -- this is very time consuming

~ preparing for things of import in the fall

~ working (gasp!!)

~ reading and going to the beach

~ getting to celebrate my birthday with my family (can't remember the last time...)

Hope you enjoy yours,

Maia

June 23, 2007 at 03:56 AM · Mr. Consistency here. I always practice about the same I think. Juggling extensive gardens and lawns notwithstanding (I'm the Home Depot Guy who doesn't live in the Burbs: "me, myself and I), I try and stick with my program throughout the year.

June 23, 2007 at 04:20 AM · Fly fishing

Learning to program Ruby on Rails

Reading

Playing with my 3 cats (who are horrified I started violin.)

Working part-time (summer is optional where I work.)

June 23, 2007 at 04:27 AM · I've been doing a ton of work on A Far Cry's website - complete redesign. Check it out: afarcry.org

Lots of free time this summer - I love practicing at my own pace, with my own objectives!

June 23, 2007 at 04:39 AM · For those of you who are violin students without a teacher for the summer, I would advise keeping to a rigorous practice schedule. Prove to your teacher that you can improve on your own.

June 23, 2007 at 06:28 AM · It's winter here, and damn cold. Hah! Must be that global warming. I'm sitting at the computer wearing a coat and a scarf. The fire is crackling in the fireplace upstairs.

I'm gonna buy myself a better accordion. And have lessons with a real accordionist. I'm sick and tired of pussy-footing it around with rest-fascist violin teachers who have pulled off a successful Putsch in my area. They have armed military police at all the schools and conservatories. They pack powerful weaponry, and tend not to have much of a sense of humor. Funny that. I wonder why.

I'm also debating whether or not I should get piano lessons. Should I?

June 23, 2007 at 06:40 AM · I'll be spending my time moving back to Norman, Oklahoma. Other than that I'm learning new card tricks.

June 23, 2007 at 06:51 AM · I am definetly going to spend a good amount of my time practicing this summer, the instructor that I have at the moment was lacking in the music theory department. Therefore I'm am going to have to look for a different one, but because it's been a year since I first started playing I'm really going to have to work on my technique. Plus, I'm dying to learn something that's not quite so juvenile as the stuff she had been giving me. Although I'll also be visiting some relatives and maybe spend sometime at the beach, I'm not at all a "beachy" person but I love the boardwalk. It's been a long time since I've pigged out on amusment park food.

June 23, 2007 at 07:13 AM · There's something delightfully....something about amusement parks and amusement park food. I don't know what it is. Nostalgia I suppose. I bought a 'waffle with cream' the other day at a local 'show' as we call them here, and it cost me $4 (US$3). I'm glad I bought it, even though it cost the proprietor about 25c most likely. I like the bright lights and happy people walking around.

June 23, 2007 at 07:43 AM · Ive been in Europe backpacking since May and will return home in mid july, and I decided to not bring my violin with me. So no practicing for me until I get back home, but I'm happy for the break!

June 23, 2007 at 08:54 AM · I'm outside as much as possible, when I'm not baking for summer camp. I get off work, hike up a mountain to train for an upcoming mountain race, then wash up if there's time, eat dinner, grab a drink at the coffee shop, and head out to the river to try to hook a salmon. Practice time is from 10:00 to midnight, if I feel like it.

June 24, 2007 at 07:12 PM · For me, this summer will be anything but lazy. It’ll include a job change, buy and sell our house, and moving. I plan to keep working on Bach Partita II and of course chat with you guys to keep me sane.

June 24, 2007 at 10:23 PM · Prague is the target from july the 31st to august the 7th.

I'll hope to have fun!!!

I hope the best also for you, guys.

Actually since a week I can't play because it's very warm and wet. It takes just five minutes of open strings to sweat!

So I put pucci pucci in the case where it is much safer

June 25, 2007 at 12:06 AM · For me, it's actually winter, but thanks to uni I have a one month break.

I'll be spending my time practising - I'm hoping to learn the entire Bruch Concerto during these holidays. I also hope to get a bit of exercise done, down at the gym, and also look into various possibilities for a research project that I'm heading into next semester. I'm also wanting to put together a grant application for a concert I want to put on.

June 25, 2007 at 09:19 PM · Alaska has the best summer in the world... Swats at misquoto.

I will be camping, dip-netting, mnt biking, and I even managed to get in some school.

June 25, 2007 at 09:23 PM · This summer has been spent less playing the violin and more on making my first violin. The "Pre-build" phase is quite lengthy, having decided to make many of my tools (fingerplanes violin mold,)prepare materials (splitting backwood, thinning ribs,)and construct a good workbench.

But progress is being made! I am apprecticing with my violin maker and I have the C-bouts glued to the blocks and (hopefully) I'll be finishing the rib garland this weekend!

June 25, 2007 at 11:21 PM · "Swats at misquoto."

Michael, are those the pesky bugs who buzz around, misquoting people? :) Yeah, those mosquitos are bad sometimes. I'm not allergic to their bites, though. I hear eating lots of garlic can help keep them away.

June 25, 2007 at 11:49 PM · Clubbing! :)

June 26, 2007 at 03:19 AM · LOL, Emily!

I'm going to India for 2 weeks...where I will watch out for the mosquitoes and misquotos...!

June 26, 2007 at 04:42 AM · Outside of normal summer activities (gardening, weeding, watering, working), I'm going to attempt to make a "string stretcher". I love woodworking and figure it will be more fun than just buying an "el-cheapo" viola to stretch out new strings. I also plan on having more "me time" music wise - chamber music with friends, focusing more on technique, learning a new solo piece.

June 26, 2007 at 05:19 AM · Andrew! I never would have taken you for someone who clubs baby seals!

June 26, 2007 at 01:33 PM · That's your daughter in the article, right, Al? She's adorable. I think at her age it's important to have diverse interests and to keep the fun in life. I know, I know: parents trying to build a world-class soloist will disagree, but her life will be richer because you've given her so many worlds to explore.

June 26, 2007 at 02:11 PM · i think andrew meant to use clubbing for bat sized mosquitos.:)

yes e smith, that is my kid. she is my inspiration because in her mind anything is possible:) and at the end of the day, as long as there is ice cream, life is grand:)

anne, yes, more often than not, golf is indeed a good walk spoiled. but, an unspoiled walk is often as stimulating as playing open strings all day long:)) where is your human spirit, soldier? :)

June 26, 2007 at 02:40 PM · I was kidding about the golf, Mr. Ku. I think it is lovely that your child seems to be balanced, getting out of the house, and exploring interests. She is Cute As Buttons!

Human spirit now raised: Two Closets Down, Three To Go...

June 26, 2007 at 02:45 PM · Nice to be "back", isn"t it, Al? This summer I am going to study LSAT in addition to the violin. :-)

June 26, 2007 at 04:00 PM · TENNIS!

June 26, 2007 at 04:08 PM · Aww how cute is she ;o)! We always love summer here. My daughter is spoiled by the ample practice time it allows. The balance of the school year with the study commitments can sometimes be a nightmare. We're still trying to figure out how to squeeze 28 hours out of a 24 hour day during the rest of the year. I'm always curious how others manage it.

June 26, 2007 at 05:07 PM · Things I enjoy doing in the summer that give me a break from violin...

Well, we have the river channel here which is fun to tube down when the weather is nice. It's free (if you take your own tube) and is a great way to cool off and spend time with friends. Also, every summer for a week in June my family goes on a fishing trip with my Grandparents so I get to spend a lot of time hiking and out on the water.

June 28, 2007 at 03:25 AM · Preparing to work a retreat, transcribing contemporary Christian and praise music for church, work, and repair on my 12-year-old sports car Saturn (no one ever believes me when I say it's that old, since it's all shiny and new-looking).

June 28, 2007 at 06:13 AM · Swimming with my kids, refereeing arguments between my kids, planning and executing birthday parties for my kids, reading to my kids...

It's actually really nice :)

June 28, 2007 at 07:48 AM · Lol Emily, garlic is great at warding off mosquitoes, but it also tends to ward people off as well. Although the real enemy is those stupid hornets, whenever I go camping im always harassed by those things and theres no way to keep them off of you either. Which is why I haven't done the camping thing in quite a while.

June 28, 2007 at 09:08 AM · Mount Marathon!

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases