How does your 'e' string cross the bridge ?

June 21, 2007 at 06:36 PM · How does your 'e' string cross the bridge ?

1) bare ?

2) plastic mute ?

3) parchment ?

If the answer is "bare"---is'nt there a danger of the string "sinking" into the bridge ?

If the answer is plastic mute or parchment------which method do you prefer ?

Replies (21)

June 21, 2007 at 06:58 PM · My E string has a plastic mute.

Dean

June 22, 2007 at 01:25 AM · Greetings,

why did the e string cross the bridge. Because it was on the chicken`s violin?

Cheers,

Buri

PS The cellaphane from a cigarette packet.

June 22, 2007 at 02:19 AM · Buri:

I was expecting someone to answer in your

manner.

Perhaps I did'nt pose the question correctly.

Maybe it should read, "Most crossings of the

'e' string over the bridge involve a bare,

muted or parchment-covered transit________

which of the aforementioned do you

prefer" ?

June 22, 2007 at 02:42 AM · Parchment.

June 22, 2007 at 05:56 AM · Greetings,

The cellaphane from a cigarette packet.

Cheers,

Buri

PS Why did the e string cross the bridge. Because it was on the chicken`s violin?

June 22, 2007 at 07:28 AM · I have one of those Ebony inserts built into my bridge, but I use a plastic mute on my E string anyways..

June 22, 2007 at 03:23 PM · Parchment + black plastic Goldbrokat tube. I wouldn't call it a mute, it doesn't really mute the string at all.

June 22, 2007 at 04:55 PM · I get rid of the plastic tubing over the estring.. it dampens the sound a little bit (not a terrible amount, but it makes a pretty big difference on my violin). On the bridge is one of those parchment things.

Ian

ps. I had one of those parchment things put under my a-string, and it really changed the sound dramatically, so i took it off :o. Never heard my estring w/o the parchment, but i oulwndt do it b/c the string could cut into the bridge...

June 22, 2007 at 05:52 PM · Bare. Nada. Nothing.

June 22, 2007 at 10:46 PM · parchment

June 22, 2007 at 11:12 PM · Parchment on all (violins, viola, cellos) On the cellos I use parchment under the steel-core A and D strings.

I've installed (and replaced) my own parchments for some years now. I ordered the first dozen or so from Johnson Strings. But more recently, my own luthier sold me a couple of square inches of parchment of graduated thickness so that the thinner areas work well on violin bridges and the thicker ones on the cello bridges.

I use superglue to glue the parchment in place and hold it with a "hemostat" clamp to keep the glue off my fingers while installing it. There seems to be no problem doing it with the bridge on the instrument, although a cloth or sheet of paper will reduce any risk.of getting glue on the instrument.

June 23, 2007 at 04:25 AM · Mine's bare. I haven't noticed any real difference, but I would guess it's darker that way. I do get an ugly tinny sound on certain notes, but that's because my fingerboard isn't flat.

No, it hasn't sliced the bridge. I thought the same thing when I first saw it, but I've been playing this one for two years like this and my other for 6 years like this.

June 23, 2007 at 07:38 PM · Parchment.

June 23, 2007 at 08:02 PM · The plastic tube came with the E string. (Do you call this a mute or something else?)

June 23, 2007 at 11:04 PM · 1) Parchment! because the plastic tube gives problems to the bow hair when you play very close to the bridge.

2) bare string is dangerous for the bridge because of the too high pressure due to the little surface of the string on the contact point.

June 24, 2007 at 12:28 AM · If it is bare, you can put a small pindrop of superglue in the groove to strengthen it. Make sure to let the glue dry overnight before putting the string back on.

June 25, 2007 at 02:45 AM · Yixi, I believe it's called a mute, although I don't know what kind of mute it is... some sort of "permanent mute" that could be removed if you unstrung your instrument. I also don't know how the mute affects the sound.

June 25, 2007 at 02:56 AM · Thanks Rob. The tube doesn't seem to affect the sound, but as Antonio pointed out, it can be bad for the bow hairs if it sticks out too much beyond the bridge. I don't let it go beyond the bridge much so I can still play the E string very close to it.

June 25, 2007 at 09:17 PM · My luthier has placed a small ivory inlay into the bridge. Works great!

June 28, 2007 at 03:16 AM · I used to play a rental with the plastic mute and I would often accidentally let my bow slip onto the other side of my bridge, where it would proceed to get stuck on the mute.

Another kind of "permanent" mute would be the rubber O that you place between your bridge and string. Anyone know what effect these have?

June 28, 2007 at 07:06 AM · Christopher, don't advertise that Ivory (see thread on getting bows w/ivory through customs...!)

I use the plastic thingy that comes with the Eudoxa E string...but looking carefully I noticed that my luthier had also put a small, u-shaped insert into the bridge to support the e-string. Can't tell what it is made of, but it blends well into the bridge.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Los Angeles Philharmonic
Los Angeles Philharmonic