your favourite caprice by Paganini?

June 20, 2007 at 02:47 PM · My favourite is #15 because is very sad in the first part with variations (i seems a beggar playing an accordion) with a funny second part (I love the picchettato) and yours?

Replies (26)

June 20, 2007 at 05:31 PM · 11 is great, then he spoils it in the middle section. The end is nice again.

June 20, 2007 at 08:50 PM · I also like the 15 very much. It is a great warm up. Number 9 is another of my favorites, followed by 24.

Lucia

June 21, 2007 at 02:18 AM · I think my favorite at the moment is #20; I've also heard it played effectively by a string orchestra.

However, I love the 'laughter' in #13...I always get a kick out of playing that one.

I also agree with you on #15 and the opening of #11.

June 21, 2007 at 12:46 PM · If I rubbed an old violin case, and a magic genie appeared before me and granted me 3 caprices that I would be able to play as well as anybody has ever played them, I think I would choose 1, 5, and 24. I have performed #24, and several other of the caprices - but as to how well? Well...

BTW, I have, indeed, tried rubbing old violin cases, but so far, all I've gotten has been dust.

June 21, 2007 at 04:15 AM · I like that...maybe I'll try rubbing some old cases too!

(If you get that genie trick to work, there are a lot of us out here in cyberspace who will want to know your secret...!)

June 21, 2007 at 05:59 AM · I've heard rumors that you need to start rubbing your case at an early age, say seven, and that you have to practice case-rubbng daily for a long time. Only the very gifted will be able to summon the Paganini genie. I like violin playing better!

BTW, #21 is my current favorite, for its unashamed and charming sentimentality: go get the girl. I'm rubbing my violin for it, these days. Who knows when the genie will appear.

June 21, 2007 at 12:46 PM · I performed #21 on my last recital. No case rubbing, but a little extra rosin rubbing - for that staccato section!

June 21, 2007 at 01:12 PM · Raphael I agree also for #21. Wonderful staccato (picchettato) + final progression. Awesome!!!!!!!!

Ciao

June 21, 2007 at 02:58 PM · To be honest, I think 24 is the most successfully composed of the Caprices, and certainly has inspired Brahms, Rachmaninoff, Schumann, etc to incorporate it in some way. I actually enjoy 23 as well (the middle c minor section is...interesting...), but utterly loathe 8. It should be scratched from the set.

June 21, 2007 at 05:06 PM · Yes, #8 is probably the most etude-like among the otherwise very creative caprices.

June 21, 2007 at 05:16 PM · I love 'em all, but #24 is in my very humble and unexpert opinion not only my favorite and the best one, but one of the most underrated pieces of classical music ever written. The fact that Brahms and Rachmaninov and Schumann and others have seen fit to write their own variations is because they recognize the theme as truly beautiful and haunting. There is a musical depth to it that we do not usually associate with Paganini. His original variations, too, bring out not only different technical aspects of the violin, but different musical facets of the theme.

That's my vote.

Sandy

June 21, 2007 at 05:39 PM · 17 then 5

June 21, 2007 at 06:05 PM · Sander, I couldn't agree more...4 (c minor) is also extremely well done. Emil (v.comer) plays that one very well...

June 21, 2007 at 06:24 PM · I just love to play no.4. Do you know the Kogan recording of it? It's amazing.

June 21, 2007 at 07:03 PM · From: Skowronski: Classical Recordings

To: Andrew Sords, et al!

Andrew: Mr. Skowronski has available on CD-- KAROL SZYMANOWSKI's violin with PIANO transcription of 'Three Paganini Caprices, Opus 40; Caprice Nos. 20, 21 and 24.' The transcriptions are quite faithful to the "mother text" and present any valiant fiddler with not only a staunch challenge during preparation but also in performance. The annointed pianist had best be a real trooper as well. You really should take a look-see at these rarely performed items as they contain an intrinsically unique flavor and, of course, also give 'routine' violin programs a scintillating boost.

NOTE: We are in the midst of a celebration re Mr. Skowronski's participation in the IV Int'l Tchaikovsky Competition. (As you may know, XIII is now in session.) If you would like more info relevant to our celebration, simply furnish us with a private email address and we will send a flyer out to you immediately.

Trust you have been well, Andrew, and we look forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,

Skowronski: Classical Recordings

June 21, 2007 at 10:16 PM · No, no guys

I gave you a motivation for #15 I want some for you too!!!

It's easy to say ...I like # 5, 6,1, (with a female voice)!!

I would like to have much more resons from you (technically, or sensations that they create inside you)!!

How I am romantic!!

June 21, 2007 at 10:45 PM · Greetings,

Antonio, it`s time you learned to be more wary of women than the Paginini caprices.

Cheers,

Buri

June 21, 2007 at 10:59 PM · Hey Stephen,

are you talking to me,...talking to me!

Who the hell do you think to talk to?

:) (I'm passioned about Taxi Driver too and I was looking forward to use this)

June 21, 2007 at 11:40 PM · Greetings,

is this taxi driver a man or a women?

Puzzled,

Buri

June 22, 2007 at 08:46 AM · Antonio, you're great!

I don't listen to or play the Caprices because they make me tired and anxious. I promise to give them another try, though.

June 22, 2007 at 01:50 PM · Who is going to write the 24th response on this discussion thread? (And what number response is YOUR favorite?)

June 22, 2007 at 02:22 PM · After watching a clip of Kremer playing fragments from no.17, from the movie The Spring Symphony, I fell in love with that.

June 22, 2007 at 02:41 PM · I like 15 too. I always imagined to italian lovers quarreling in the opening octaves. 4 is quite beautiful and am a sucker for 5, especially when someone can play the original bowing.

June 22, 2007 at 03:12 PM · No 11 is the most beautiful for me....

no.20 is also beautiful, but they are all fantastic

No.11 is special though

June 22, 2007 at 06:24 PM · Thank you Emily

I guess you should start to play some caprices. They are full of music...a masterpiece and not just technique. Once you resolve the technical difficulties you have to work on the music the taste of the sound..playing every note without nervous excitement....

This is the work I'm doing right now on the caprices and the results are coming out. I hope!

I'll try to post some beautiful photo of the place where I live...Does a shot of good italian food worth like a shot of a beautiful place?

Hey give me your wishes!!

Since this morning I am a Doctor!

June 23, 2007 at 08:25 AM · Congratulations!

Good Italian food is a work of beauty, indeed. Make our mouths water!

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Los Angeles Philharmonic
Los Angeles Philharmonic