A violinist as a partner?

June 19, 2007 at 03:30 PM · Your partner should be a violinist or not?

Do you think in this case the common interest could reinforce the relationship or the differences in skills and personality could reinforce the contrasts?

Any opinin and personal experience will be appreciated!

Sincerly Yours

Antonio

Replies (100)

June 19, 2007 at 03:31 PM · Good question. Perhaps for each person it would be different. Personally, my boyfriend is a scientist. I'm glad that he is not a professional musician because I would have a hard time handling the comparision etc that might happen. On the other hand, we have to work through issues like him not understanding classical pieces that are not easily accessible. Also, being from a family where "yeah, we all took piano lessons" the level of passion and commitment involved is difficult for him to grasp. It all depends on what's most important to you. Things work out between my boyfriend and myself because in so many other areas of our lives we are on the same page.

June 19, 2007 at 04:23 PM · Speaking as someone whose partner is not a musician and who lived most of my musical life inside the looney bin of opera I would think that it is preferable for one's partner to have their feet well planted on the ground--especially since mine were planted firmly in mid-air!

June 19, 2007 at 04:30 PM · http://www.violinist.com/discussion/response.cfm?ID=9395

:-)

June 19, 2007 at 06:30 PM · My wife of 30 years does not play an instrument, but I would think having a pianist as a partner would be ideal: A built-in accompanist.

June 19, 2007 at 06:30 PM · My wife of 30 years does not play an instrument, but I would think having a pianist as a partner would be ideal: A built-in accompanist.

June 19, 2007 at 07:16 PM · I don't know, but (no offense), there are some violinists on this website who drive me insane, so I know it can't be a good thing in and of itself just to marry someone because they play the violin.

June 19, 2007 at 07:52 PM · It is hard to argue with Kimberlee's analysis.

June 19, 2007 at 08:12 PM · Having a partner who is a pianist doesn't necessarily mean you will get an accompanist!

June 19, 2007 at 10:41 PM · Since it seems several people seem a little wary of the idea, let me put in my $.02.

I'm all for it. I better be, considering that my wife is not only a violinist, but also the other violinist in our quartet. It certainly means that we always have something to talk about, which is more than I can say for some of the couples that we know whose lives don't intersect quite as much. The only danger that I could really warn against is the old jealousy factor -- if you were both professionals, but one's career advanced more quickly than the other's, I could see some friction developing. And I certainly wouldn't entertain the idea of marrying someone simply because they were a musician.

But if you happen to fall in love with a violinist, so be it. Better yet, one of you can double on viola (like I do) and the two of you can play Mozart together (like we do)!

June 20, 2007 at 12:02 AM · How do you, guys, even meet properly someone who is not a musician?

I've never had a relationship including the current one with anyone who wasn't a musician (except when certain relatives attempted to fix me up with the cosmic science genious,

what was NOT a good idea!!!).

There was simply no time to meet any "normal" people, just look at my old timetable - Conservatorium: 9am until 3pm 6 days a week, orchestra: 3-6 and concerts, as usually until ~ 9.30-10pm, plus on free nights another orchestra: 6-10pm.

Then on Sun. - catching up on homework, Violin, Piano practice and if any evenings where free - then it had to be one of our many theatres...

Of course, I'm married to the musician! At least we belong to the same dimention, or you can say that we share simptoms of insanity, but how else?

June 20, 2007 at 12:30 AM · A violinist marrying a violinist is like a cat marrying a dog. Violinists are always competing against each other and, using my imagination, I can picture how that would turn out. Unless you marry an accordianist and then you had better like "Lady of Spain."

June 20, 2007 at 01:54 AM · I feel like, for me personally, I could never date another violinist. The whole comparison thing would be hard to deal with...it was hard enough even to have my boyfriend in theory / aural skills classes with me!

But my boyfriend is a guitarist...great duo partner, I get to play a lot of flute+guitar repertoire, we can accompany one another, and since one is plucked and the other is bowed, we can share our love for string instruments, but still have our own space. Neither of us will be too nit picky with technique and we can give each other musical ideas that are more natural to our own instrument that gives a fresh perspective to the other.

The only down side is that some people shun the guitar and don't think it's as serious of a pursuit as violin, and he feels like he misses out on some of the loud flashy repertoire (his is not as loud and really flashy), and also he doesn't get to do the whole orchestral experience.

I think if you date someone who isn't a musician, as long as they are respectful and understanding about practicing, performing, it not being a lucrative pursuit, among other things, that it can be just as pleasant!

June 20, 2007 at 12:30 PM · It's a very individual matter. I know of a number of couples who were/are both violinists, or both pianists, etc., and have gotten along just swimmingly. I have been romantically involved with other violinists, though that aspect was never what I would have ideally wanted. ("Why must we love where the lightning strikes, and never where we choose?"). The potential for competitveness and professional jealousy are obviously far greater in such a pairing - especially if both are more or less in the same career ball park, both equally ambitious, etc. Even being involved with a pianist is not a guarentee of a great musical partnership, and inevitable criticizm is more loaded from a loved one. ("Honey, that was out of tune." "Oh really? Well you were much too loud") But all things being equal (which, of course, they never are) I'd prefer a pianist or flutist to a violinist - or any string player. But with any fellow musician, what about time and space sharing for practicing? What if both people are very good and very lucky, and one gets into the LA Phil., and the other into the NY Phil.?

Anyway, I think that one (ahem) talented, ambitious, hyper violinist per couple is more than enough! My ideal woman, among many other things would not be a musician at all, but have a serious appreciation for music, and a high tolerance for the peculiarities of a musician's life.

June 20, 2007 at 04:48 AM · Even though you may appear to have much in common be sure it's not a case of a square peg in a round hole.

June 20, 2007 at 06:01 AM · It can work! But my wife and I would not have thought so when we first met... now we're in the same violin section.

June 20, 2007 at 02:22 PM · Antonio... I know LOTS of apparently happily married violinist couples.... so in Italy it seems to work ..... !!!

By the way how did you end up going to State College, PA ...from Bari? My husband and I go there every year Summer...

Tanti saluti Terri

June 20, 2007 at 04:07 PM · Dear teresa I spent six months in State College for my PhD in Chemistry.

Now I'm in the wonderful Bari eating octopus and mussels!

viva il polpo viva patate riso e cozze!

Se volete venirmi a trovare mi farebbe piacere.

Antonio

June 20, 2007 at 09:09 PM · Well, your flawless fork technique should work wonderfully well for the octopus and mussels you're enjoying. :)

PhD in Chemistry eh? That puts a different spin on things.

The very best relationships are built between two people who could not attain their highest potential without the other. Find someone who lifts you without limiting you--the rest is extraneous. Any of us could lose our hearing, or be in a car accident and lose our ability to play the violin at any time. It's healthy to understand your identity doesn't come from what you do, but who you are. Find someone who appreciates THAT. Although, much of who we are is defined by what we do . . . how's that for talking out of both sides of my mouth? Maybe I need that perfect fork technique.

June 20, 2007 at 04:58 PM · I agree with Tom. Definitely marry a pianist (or guitarist) if you're trying to marry a musician, as the violin is not a leading voice, but a melody instrument.

June 20, 2007 at 05:11 PM · Jennifer - true, but at least your chance is better if you marry a pianist than if you marry someone who is not.

June 20, 2007 at 05:24 PM · Dear Kimberlee

unfortunately for mussels there is need of both the hands in order to open the shells so the technique should be complete! :)

I agree with your analysis it's just that often I deal with people who are not endowed with my same sensibility for "the strange action" of playing the violin and to dedicate a so long time in practicing! It is a weird world!

June 20, 2007 at 06:24 PM · Ahhh . . . then it seems a violinist might fit very well for you. It is difficult when one partner misunderstands the other's need of spiritual nourishment (in this case, the violin) as neglect. Better to start out with one who understands?

June 20, 2007 at 08:00 PM · Good point, Tom. When I married a pianist (who earns his living as a computer programmer, incidentally) I looked forward to the two of us working together. Then I found out that he'd rather spend his practice time on his own literature, and doesn't really care for accompanying in general. Alas...I still have to hire out! At least my hubby understands where that money is going!

June 20, 2007 at 08:07 PM · Jennifer - Too bad!

June 20, 2007 at 11:24 PM · Dear kimberlee,

I would start out if I met someone who "fits" well for me.....

I don't mind if violinist or not I would like just to meet a girl who can understand my sensibility for playing. I know that girls are nowadays much more concrete than boys and probably also if girls play an instrument the most of times they consider that a job (even if well

done)...sorry for the stream of consciousness!

ciao

June 20, 2007 at 11:27 PM · Greetings,

if the nookie is fun then everything else will take care of itself.

Cheers,

Buri

June 21, 2007 at 02:20 AM · Kimberlee - your earlier post reminded me of something Arnold Steinhardt said, even though it wasn't about a romantic relationship. When he was going through a rough time prior to hand surgery, he confessed to a fellow violinist (was it Shumuel Ashkenazy?) that he felt like he was nothing without the violin. Said his colleague "if you feel like you're nothing without the violin, then you're nothing WITH the violin!"

June 21, 2007 at 02:44 AM · I'm hooking up with Hilary Hahn--immediately.

June 21, 2007 at 03:09 AM · Du Pre and Barenboim are people who have had a very passionate (both love and hate) in their relationship....in the end it didn't turn out.

June 21, 2007 at 03:52 AM · Don't forget that DuPre had severe MS.

June 21, 2007 at 04:10 AM · Sorry this isn't entirely related...

but Teresa and Antonio, you two live or have lived in Bari?? That's so cool! My family emigrated to the United States and a section of my Italian roots comes from Monopoli, Bari...others come from Sicily. I plan to go there some day to do family research.

June 21, 2007 at 08:05 AM · Monopoli it's just 20 km far away from mola di bari where I live presently. It's cool you have italian origins. You have to be proud about that (not for all but for violins and food yes)!

I hope you'll be able to visit these places they are so cool especially in the summer!

June 21, 2007 at 11:31 AM · Antonio: nothing is 'cool' at the moment in the north ... here in Veneto all I can say is 'che afa!' ... (= it's stinking hot and humid) if you are 'cool' in Bari, then we'll be visiting you for that as well as the 'polpe e cozze'. My Italian husband, by the way, has a diploma in flute ... but works in materials science (and hence our trips to State College, PA ... I bet you must know some of the people we know if you did PhD in Chemistry at Penn State) and my two cents worth to the discussion is that an 'ex-musician' is a great companion to have, because they share your passion for music, understand about practising, weird hours etc, but live in the 'normal world'... I think this has been good for us and for when\if you have children.

Jessie ... I live in the north, Antonio is in the south! You should definitely tour the country for your family research! (but not in the middle of Summer if you don't like heat!!! )

Antonio.. what about contributing to the thread on ABC, fixed DO etc? ... please tell me what you think you have learnt through 'spoken solfege'

June 21, 2007 at 12:40 PM · Why don't we relax for a moment or two in this serious and important subject, and consider some fantasy celebrity pair-ups?

Joshua Bell/Hilary Hahn - that might work (if our own Albert hasn't won her over first!)

Aaron Rosand/Ann Sophie Mutter - I could imagine some strong chemistry there. Maybe too strong. I'd give that relationship one week.

Maxim Vengerov/Sarah Chang - I don't think he could handle her.

Nigel Kennedy/Leila Josefcowics - I see them as a bad boy/bad girl couple, and can imagine their exploits recounted in supermarket rags.

Ann Akiko Myers and...ME! (Hey, it's MY fantasy!!)

June 21, 2007 at 12:48 PM · Dear Teresa

Here the link is:

research.chem.psu.edu/mallouk/old_group.htm

Strange we had no chance to meet there!

I the dialect of my town "afa" = "fafogna" whose sound gives the sense of swetting and big big heat and moisture!!!

June 23, 2007 at 10:13 PM · Raphael

What an interesting story about Steinhardt. I wage my own battles and have had to face this particular struggle. In those dark edges of life where all the faith and learning is, I've had to ask myself who I would be if I could no longer play the violin.

Seems like if you can answer that question honestly, you might be able to leave the pretenses and start giving MUSIC instead of notes when you play.

June 23, 2007 at 02:02 PM · I wish I had a good Christian woman, intelligent, witty, and who let me go off and be alone at times without getting too worried about it, and who I found attractive. I haven't found her. Might not find her. I live like a priest at the moment. I'm not even a Catholic. *Sigh*

June 23, 2007 at 02:55 PM · I wouldn't be nothing without my violin because I would buy another one (one much better than mine...I hope it doesn't hear!)

hey jon you should find not a catholic woman....oh no you should do that because paradoxally just they know how to do some things...

June 23, 2007 at 10:10 PM · Ha Ha Ha. I meant if something were to happen and you couldn't play anymore . . .

June 23, 2007 at 06:39 PM · Hey Kimberlee,

I know what you meant. It was just a joke!

I'm a DEGO I can't do differently!

:)

June 23, 2007 at 10:25 PM · In the violin section of the SF symphony is at least one married couple (the wife was a friend of mine in music school), and both husband and wife have sisters that are also in the orchestra. They joke about taking over the violin section one day...

So obviously it works out well for some!

June 24, 2007 at 05:59 AM · Antonio, I'm going to go to Italy some day and find myself a great woman there probably. I'll learn Italian and check out Cremona and a few other places too. I want to go and see Turin as well. There's an old cloth there of great historical interest.

June 24, 2007 at 07:20 AM · Nigel Kennedy would have to be a bad boy first...

June 24, 2007 at 10:48 AM · I'm sorry for you but that cloth, from labeled carbon analysis, resulted to be dated to the middleages and not for sure belonging to that person.....what's the name??!!....Let me think about that..oh jesus....ah Jesus.

Antonio

June 24, 2007 at 06:04 PM · OMG! By any stretch of the imagination could anyone have conceived that a thread about violinist couples would wind its way to a consideration of the Shroud of Turin?? Well...I suppose that some aspects of love will always be SHROUDED in mystery!

June 24, 2007 at 06:24 PM · Raphael ,you are right!!

Actually I opened this stupid thread just in order to confirm my theory: the more is stupid a thread the more replies it collects.

As for the serious thread on Steinhausen I opened just 1 reply: never heard about him!

June 24, 2007 at 06:35 PM · Actually, I don't think your premise is stupid at all. It just amazes me sometimes how far the apple rolls from the tree. Sometimes I'll peek into a thread for my first time, that's been going on for a while, starting with the updated responses, and I'll go "huh??"

June 24, 2007 at 06:48 PM · ;)

June 24, 2007 at 06:56 PM · What happened to your food photo, Antonio? I wanted to know what tasty morsel you were eating.

June 24, 2007 at 06:55 PM · >Your partner should be a violinist or not? Do you think in this case the common interest could reinforce the relationship or the differences in skills and personality could reinforce the contrasts?<

Huh?

>Any opinin and personal experience will be appreciated!<

I don't understand the question...

June 24, 2007 at 06:59 PM · I feel the same, Raphael, but then the off the topic discussions tend to be the most interesting ones:-)

June 24, 2007 at 07:04 PM · It occurs to me that a psychotherapist might have a field day with some of our 'free associations'!

June 24, 2007 at 07:17 PM · Dear Emily:

the morsel consisted in tagliatelle (pasta) with ragù (ragù is a a souce cooked in the presence of beefground and veggies like carrots and celery). The shot is dated to 2006 when I was in State College Pennsylvania at an italian dinner.

Actually I'm trying to create a blog with fish dishes pictures much more interesting because of the starting material available here in Bari.

Hey don't you like my shot by the Curtis in Philly!

I'm so proud about this shot!:)

P.S. Doin if you don't understand the meaning of the thread just don't reply!

June 24, 2007 at 07:15 PM · 'free associations'? what's that? who needs a psychotherapist when you've got the violin?

June 24, 2007 at 07:22 PM · Hey guys I have an idea.

Let's this thread reach at least 100 replies.

What do you think about??

Just for fun!

June 24, 2007 at 09:51 PM · Antonio,

I thought you were in Italy for that picture. Heck, I eat in State College every year when I go visit family. We usually eat at the Olive Garden. Next time I'm there, I'll take a picture of my tiramisu, and of my dessert fork technique, reserved especially for desserts. :)

Emily

June 24, 2007 at 09:58 PM · The Faccia Luna pizza in SCE is a kind of cardboard, Olive Garden i've never been there!

I've been at Mio Zio, Mad Mex (the worst thing I've ever eaten: Buffalo chiken wings), Allen Street Grill, Zeno...........................

Fortunately I cook very well so I didn't miss so much italian food.

I hope where you live the food is much better than in SCE!

June 24, 2007 at 10:06 PM · Emily, I'm now really curious what is your dessert fork technique?

June 24, 2007 at 10:18 PM · We arrived up to 58 replies (59 + this)!

We can do much more!!

100 is the target

June 25, 2007 at 03:24 AM · Dismay. I thought people might be interested.

P.S. Mainstream science disagrees, Antonio: check out the scientific paper published in Thermochimica Acta, October 2002. The dates for the shroud are wrong. I have a degree in Geology, a discipline that is entirely based upon scientific dating. Believe me, laboratory dating techniques are dodgy science. They are based on assumptions. If the assumption is wrong, every bit of empirical laboratory evidence gleaned is also wrong, and not worth a plate full of piss. But ignore that if you want to. That's fine, 'cause everyone else ignores it, too. It's always soothing to justify one's ignorance of top level international mainstream research.

And how boring to make out that changing the topic on a thread is somehow "Not done, my dear boy". Get with it, man. Tone up a bit more.

June 25, 2007 at 05:25 AM · You have to watch close, Yixi, it is almost faster than can be seen by the naked eye.

Antonio, don't go to the Olive Garden. Just keep making your own Italian food.

As for me, I fortunately married an Italian chef, so I can get all the of the ragout, risotto, and ravioli that I want. (Okay, he's half Italian, half German, so every once in a while bratwurst and beer.)

Back to the topic of discussion, I really think all violinists would do well to marry an Italian chef.

June 25, 2007 at 05:42 AM · If he's rich and good-looking, sure. I mean she.

June 25, 2007 at 05:46 AM · Now, Emily, when you say half Italian..what does that mean? Was he born in the USA? Does he put lumpy ricotta cheese and bits of 'al dente' carrot in his lasagna? (the State College and PA version of Italian lasagna....but hopefully not a nation-wide culinary habit???). If 'NO' to the above questions ..then you have a great deal there! If 'YES' then you still probably have a good deal. The best deal for us violinists is:

1. Marry an Italian

2. Marry an Italian that can cook

3. Marry an Italian that can cook and play an instrument.

(unfortunately mine cannot cook .... but I guess one can't have everything in life.)

Emily or Antonio...if you are passing through SC this Summer? ... would be fun to meet you .... but NOT at the Olive Garden.

June 25, 2007 at 06:53 AM · Heck, the worst insult of all. To be ignored. I give up.

PS I'm all for the Italian chef idea.

June 25, 2007 at 07:39 AM · Teresa, George's dad is German, and his mother is Italian. Way back when, her Grandfather Capo came to America and opened a restauraunt. Apparently, cooking was not all the Capo's did. Something about some vague mafia connection, but no one talks about that. His great aunt is a nun in the Vatican, so I think that makes up for it. :)

The Grossman men were all preachers. So I guess that's how you end up with someone like George, a chef at a Christian youth camp. He gets frustrated when kids want cottage cheese instead of ricotta in their lasagna, or when they say the meatballs are too spicy, or when they complain that the pasta isn't done when he serves it al dente. Too much Chef Boyardee influence, I think.

John O'Brian, if it makes you feel any better, my other favorite place to eat is Outback Steakhouse. So now my question is, can you Aussies really cook a good steak?

(PS I had a dream once a long time ago that I went to a wise man and asked him if the Shroud of Turin was real. He said no. I woke up sad, until I realised it didn't really matter one way or the other.)

June 25, 2007 at 02:11 PM · Emily, you are so right. It doesn't matter at all. I was only interested in it from a scientific point of view. I get bored at times and need, nay desperately yearn for, intellectual stimulation.

I find it intellectually fascinating. I'm sorry for confusing things by introducing such a topic to a violin site. But it is compelling for those who like mysteries (real ones). No one can explain the negative image, the 3D encoding, nor the historically-confirming documentation of its early existence. An enigma for the scientifically minded.

I am a bad cook, and I am Australian. I like good food, though. Do you know a good lady cook I could meet?

P.S. My real name is Jonathan. Jon or John is fine.

June 25, 2007 at 10:05 AM · Emily .... Catholic or Protestant preachers?

I am still rather concerned about the ricotta in the lasagna .... cottage cheese is even more of a shocker to me .... have to ask Antonio, who is in Bari where they REALLY KNOW about food.

We are in the North, so maybe things are different ... BUT in all my years in Italy I don't think I ever had a lasagna with ricotta in it ... isn't it always besciamel sauce?

I never had spaghetti with meat-balls either, spicy or non. Maybe that's a South\ North difference, too. Also no-one here has ever given me manicotti or stromboli.(do they exist in Italy?) I await Antonio for enlightenment.

This is all has totally nothing to do with the original thread.... except that if Antonio ends up with some stunning young American fiddle player from violinist.com, Emily and I will be partly to thank ... (mi raccommando il pagamento puntuale del pizzo!!!!!!!!!!! ...we'll be around soon to collect, and given Emily's background, you don't want to mess with her)

June 25, 2007 at 11:22 AM · Let's try to put some order:+

For lasagna you have to use besciamella which consist in milk, butter and flour and not absolutely ricotta. And you have to use also parmiggiano reggiano.

Ricotta chease is a very particular fresh chease which goes bad within a couple of days: so any so that "ricotta" chease which lasts for a longer time shouldn't be called ricotta. (You should try this just with two tea spoons of cane sugar: Emily you would speed up your yet fast technique!!!)

I was wondering why americans keep trying cooking food which should be italian but which of italian has just the name (the most of time also not correct).

America is lucky because has a lot of very good starting material and it would be enough to start cooking very simple recipies with the good available ingredients!

I don't know this Alfredo sauce: it doesn't exist in Italy! It's just an invention of some multinational company! On a jar of this sauce I have also read that it comes from Parma!! They just cheat!!

By the way I gonna make you an offer you can't refuse!

If you (Emily or Teresa) are around Bari you are the welcome to vist me so that you can eat typical fish food: you would eat so much food that the shroud would be necessary as a napkin!!

Baciamo le mani

June 25, 2007 at 12:13 PM · Tutti amore.

June 25, 2007 at 12:58 PM · Emily - George's family background fascinates me. In my world, all Grossmans are Jewish.

June 25, 2007 at 03:35 PM · Hey guys today is wWWWarm!

47°C and a dry hot wind which cuts your face from Africa.

The ideal weather to play!

;)

June 25, 2007 at 11:04 PM · Teresa, they are/were Protestant preachers.

I'm sure our Italian variety is heavily influenced by East Coast tradition. From the little I've studied, there are vast differences in Italian cooking, depending on the region you visit. I would love to go someday and taste for myself!

Antonio, likewise, come to Alaska and I will cook you some salmon you won't forget! Mmm... :) I wholeheartedly agree that good cooking springs from the freshest local ingredients, whatever they may be.

Jon, I spelled your name wrong, sorry! Unfortunately, I don't know many female cooks around here. Certainly none that you would want me to send your way, that is.

June 26, 2007 at 03:16 AM · ...don't tell me you all are going to stop at 72? You were going for 100.

Antonio, did you post your dinner photo somewhere?

June 26, 2007 at 03:45 AM · Thought I'd do my part to get this discussion to 100 posts... ;)

I don't think it matters a twit what one's interests are compared to one's partner. What matters are can you agree on how to treat other people - be they friends, family, coworkers, agree on the goals for your life (work, number of kids, how to raise kids, where to live, how to live), and have a modicum of attraction. If you have all the above taken care of, you'll find something constructive and fun to do.

Then - "When with romance or a horse, one just let's nature take it's course." - Fred Astaire in the movie, "Top Hat."

June 26, 2007 at 05:12 AM · Only "modicum of attraction"? Terry, we talking about romantic not business partner here;D It got to be loads, loads of attraction!

Everyone is different but music is such a psychologically powerful thing that it permeates every part of ones life. If you are a classical music lover as I am, how can you be truly happy with someone who listens to junk music all the time and tells you one is just as good as the other?

June 26, 2007 at 06:28 AM · OK Yixi, I'll go along with you on that one. Lots of attraction, but maybe not loads of it to start. Lots can turn to loads over time. Attraction comes and goes over time but respect, similar values, and decency will keep love going. Everyone has their warts, and if the worst of it is an inclination to junky music, well, it wouldn't be a deal-breaker to me if the other pieces were there.

On the other hand, a partner's complete lack of awareness of their lack of awareness about classical music would be a dealbreaker.

June 26, 2007 at 09:06 AM · Emily, your proposal of salmon makes my mouth water.

Just a question:

Should I catch my salmon like a bear by the river? It would be funny:)

I agree with you: local fresh ingredients and a little bit of good sense.

Barbara, I haven't posted yet the shots anywhere. I'm fghting with my laptop to compress some images (I am a PhD in Chemistry not in Computer) and then you' ll be able to show you them.

Big hugs

Antonio

100 is the target: 100! 100! 100!

June 26, 2007 at 10:52 AM · The baby pear-shaped tomatoes in Italy are to die for this time of year .... in the UK and USA I've never tasted anything like them .... so this is another good reason to marry an Italian....tomatoes. Maybe Antonio could arrange for his sister to meet with Jon in Bari (but only if he has one and she can cook, and plays the violin ...well, even if she can't, she's put up with Antonio scraping away all these years...)In turn, Jon could bring a violin-playing friend who can't cook for Antonio.

Sorry Emily you are already married so you'll just have to put up with your tomatoes that don't taste like tomatoes in Alaska.

June 26, 2007 at 12:00 PM · Teresa, Jon

Sorry

I haven't any sister! Just two brothers.

Teresa what is this fantapolitcs? Are they just films you are shooting in your mind?

Remember I am S. Antonio from Padua!!!

June 26, 2007 at 12:10 PM · .....Just my contribution to keeping the thread going, plus it's stinking hot, and plus I have a free week .... so I'm just enjoying qualche momento di pazzia, incretinamento,etc (=I'm losing it!!.) while stuck at the computer ...I hopefully will re-gain my sanity after Summer.

One of my best friends here is a violinista Barese, by the way, transplanted to Padua 7 years ago .......

June 26, 2007 at 01:12 PM · Dear Teresa,

probably your insanity is irreversible but I like that!!

Never to take himself too seriously!

I like persons who are not too polite and say what they mean!!!

Hugs

Antonio from Bari Aweeeeee (polpo + Peroni)!!

P.S. Teresa are you a relative of Tenente Colombo? He is cool and his series is still my favourite (Hanry Mancini wrote a lot of musicscore for that) along with law and order.

June 26, 2007 at 02:10 PM · Ciao Antonio ..we have recently bought ALL the Colombo dvd series in English... couldn't quite come to terms with the Italian dubbing, ...unfortunately he is not a relative!!! Culto della famiglia del Sabato sera: Pizza + Colombo!!!!!!!

June 26, 2007 at 02:27 PM · You have to know that Colombo means pigeon

and my lastname Lofu can be translated in lo+fu which means (he+was)

This is just to bring us close to 100

June 26, 2007 at 02:42 PM · Do we really have control over with whom we would fall in love?

June 26, 2007 at 03:36 PM · Antonio, if you can catch your salmon like a bear, then have at it! I'll take pictures.

Teresa, you had to bring up that sore subjet, tomatoes in Alaska... Oh, they are so bad, you don't even know.

June 26, 2007 at 06:36 PM · Enee-meanie-mynee-mo, catch the salmon by his tail.IF HE CRIES JUST LET HIM cook INI MINI MANI MO

Do you like?

June 26, 2007 at 08:26 PM · Only thing worse than tomatoes in Alaska is the price of Avocado :( $2 each on sale.

Copper River Red Salmon sounds good, week and a half to go dip netting...

June 27, 2007 at 03:55 PM · Teresa where are you?

June 27, 2007 at 04:42 PM · ahh...lost in the depths of laundry, cooking, last violin lessons before we go to State College for the Summer, trying to sort out my mess of a house ... but at least it's raining and the afa has subsided for the moment!

I just bought a mozzarella di bufala .... imported daily from the SOUTH to our local grocery .. poor Emily, I bet the mozzarella is as bad as the tomatoes in Alaska ......

June 27, 2007 at 04:53 PM · Teresa,

but I forgot to ask you if you know the lab I worked in in SCE.

June 27, 2007 at 05:23 PM · Paolo (husband) didn't know anyone in the photo ... and I only know the profs he works with. He is adjunct prof. of materials science and engineering.(often works in Steidl) What are you doing with your Phd now?

Did you ever play with the PCCO or Nittany Valley Symphony while you were there?

June 27, 2007 at 06:07 PM · Now with my PhD I'm cleaning my...

No, I'm jocking!

Now I'm applying for some jobs, hoping to get a job soon.

No I played just with the PennState Philarmonic because of the too short time available.

I have never seen such a lot of aloof people playing in that orchestra especially the concertmaister a mex girl whose I don't remember the name.

I'm happy with my teacher in Bari who presently is the best violinist in Italy!

June 27, 2007 at 06:13 PM · I never heard of that orchestra ... must be a new one, or a Summer time thing? I had a wonderful time in the Nittany Valley Symph.because everyone was really friendly. There were pros, farmers, students, housewives, all sorts in the band .... it was a great inrod. to American life, got invited to people's homes etc ... But, it was an amateur orch. and people were just doing it for fun.

When are going to do your violin diploma?

June 27, 2007 at 06:27 PM · next year

I hope

there is a lot of stuff to study

June 27, 2007 at 06:34 PM · Antonio ...a question about the Kreutzer studies that you have to do for 5th year conservatory. Say number 9 gets picked out of the hat for your exam, would you be expected to plough through it at breakneck speed, or would a slower tempo but with good finger action be ok and what fingerings would you be expected to do... since the study can be used with different fingerings with different objectives in mind. Are they likely to hear the whole study? ... please illuminate me on exam procedure etc and how this whole thing with the Kreutzer studies and 5th year works ... Do you have to know ALL of the Kreutzer, and then you play one of your own choice and two picked out of a hat?

June 27, 2007 at 10:40 PM · Teresa, I make my mozzarella fresh daily, straight from the water buffalo I keep out back.

June 27, 2007 at 11:39 PM · No Teresa you have just to play two of them picked of a hat 24 h before the examination.

I used the edition Ricordi revised by Principe. There is another one revised by Borciani (Quartetto Italiano) but it is not good for fingering. I don't know if the Galamian one is good I have never studied on that.

For tempo you can also slow down slightly the tempo but you are supposed to play almost a tempo: fortunately we are not talking about Rode studies, the most difficult studies existing and the most useful in the same time!!

Antonio

June 27, 2007 at 11:48 PM · Teresa,

but have you to take the exam for 5th year in Italy?

June 27, 2007 at 11:46 PM · Ohh how I love those cherry tomatoes !

I LOVE to sink my teeth into them and feel the juices spritz into the mouth.

Whilst consuming cherry tomatoes,always remember to keep your lips closed,so as not to spritz tomatoe juice upon your eating partner [could be embarrassing].

Soo we are indeed close to 100----real close............

June 27, 2007 at 11:55 PM · These cherry tomatoes are extremely difficult to obtain in Alaska.

See,Alaska has it's drawbacks !!!

We must be at 100 now !!!

Cheers !!!!!!!!!!!!

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe