Looking for a less bright e string

June 13, 2007 at 04:18 AM · I am looking for an e string that is not bright sounding. I play a lot of chamber music and although everyone else thinks my violin has a really rich, full sound, I think the e string is too bright. I currently use an Evah e but have also tried a Eudoxa e and both are too bright. The Evah's sound great on the other strings and I am very happy with them. Any suggestions regarding a different e string are appreciated. FYI: my violin is a Benjamin Ruth and is about a year and a half old. The e string sound has really opened up in the last few months.

Replies (34)

June 13, 2007 at 05:21 AM · Have you tried a gold-plated E Oliv or Obligato? They're both the same, Pirastro assured me, with different packaging. You might also try an Infeld red.

June 13, 2007 at 02:23 PM · You might try a Kaplan Solutions E string. I like them with all kinds of string matchings (except, maybe, Tzigane).

June 13, 2007 at 03:16 PM · I agree with Kaplan Solutions not being overly bright. You might also try experimenting with either a heavier or lighter gauge. A lighter gauge string might sound warmer and softer (but not necessarily less "bright")--or not. It depends on your violin.

June 13, 2007 at 05:58 PM · You might try the Tzigane E. It is absolutely the best sounding, sweetest and smoothest e I have ever used. I have not, however tried it with any strings other than a complete set of Tziganes so the other Tziganes certainly also influence the sound.

June 13, 2007 at 06:05 PM · For me it's (since they exist...)"Hill or nothing", so I would say Hill soft. But the Tzigane I've tried for 1 day (Sorry, W.E. ... and Sons!) did sound very sweet and by no means "over-present"

June 14, 2007 at 01:30 AM · Thanks to each of you who responded. I have just placed an order for one of each of the strings recommended.

June 14, 2007 at 03:08 AM · Another good one not listed are the Tomastik Dominants, I currently use it and my violin is good with them.

June 14, 2007 at 03:52 AM · Hill!

June 14, 2007 at 10:48 AM · Ask a professional to move your soundpost to find the best balance, also the bridge can be shaved a bit here and there with surprising results, but be careful in chosing the man for such job!

July 4, 2007 at 11:09 AM · The Tzigane E string is excellent. I match it with

Eudoxas and am very happy with it.

July 4, 2007 at 05:31 PM · Since everyone else likes your sound, I will ask this. Do you mean that you think your recorded sound is too bright, or that it sounds too bright from where you hear it? Which maybe it should. :-)

July 5, 2007 at 04:17 AM · First of all you should probably concur with your mates that your 'e' string sounds good.

If you still think the sound is too bright,then you can lessen the brightness by choosing a less brighter 'e' string [perhaps the Obligato 'e'].

Or you might want to add a heavier plastic mute to the'e' string.

Try several---it's not really that much of an expense. Pick out the correct 'e' string which performs the best on your instrument....

If you play chamber music and people like it_________then why change ?

If you usually are by yourself_________ who cares ?

Obligato 'e' is less bright-------try Obligato 'e'.

July 5, 2007 at 05:15 AM · Yeah Pirazzi e's aren't that good in my opinion. Also Dominant E's are really not well made (I broke 4 in a week). I would recommend Goldbrokat medium gauge. That string should work well, it is also very inexpensive. I would not recommend Kaplan solutions e-strings at all. It was the opposite of a solution on my violin (1/2 the volume of practically all other e's I've tried).

July 5, 2007 at 05:45 AM · I agree with Nate too!The goldbrokat are a very good choice. But i afraid the pirazzi will made it sound bright. Actually the pirazzi will alter the tonal balance to the bright side according to my experience.The obligato E are so bright and powerful too (same gold E to Olive),very much unlike the other member in obligato family.

I recommend one to start the string setup with the E string.This is the most important string that contribute to your sound characteristic.

If you like gut string,The new Passione are fantastic, and the sonic lifespan are much longer than the Pirazzi too.

If you want to stick to the synthetic,Larsen are good,but expensive and short life.I highly recommend The New Vision Solo(once again,not the Vision nor the Vision titanium solo)which may avabile this year.This Solo set have completely different character to the Vision.The sound was deep,full body,well projected,powerful,focus.and has so much warmth in it,The slightly thicker E in this set are richer and smoother than the Vision and the titanium solo.You can see the detail of this set on the updated download string catalog on the thomastiK-infeld website.

July 5, 2007 at 07:18 PM · Hill thick is a good buttery sounding string.

July 7, 2007 at 02:57 AM · I use Evah's and have always been very happy with them except for the E. I recently tried an Oliv E, and it is perfect.

Elaine Dowling

Norman, OK

September 13, 2007 at 05:26 PM · It's interesting that the Obligato E is the same as the Oliv E. I've just switched from a set of Evah ADG + Oliv E to Obligato EADG and I swear the E string is much warmer now! Are my ears playing with me? :D

September 13, 2007 at 06:03 PM · You are hearing the response of the set as a whole. If you change one string of a set it can color the rest of the strings as well. If you keep the e constant but change the other strings the e will sound different.

September 14, 2007 at 12:40 AM · I think you should try many strings out. But for me I use a gold e oliv, and thats a great sounding string. If you wanna try a less brighter sounding string try the Dominant E's, they'll soften up the bright sound.

September 14, 2007 at 01:00 AM · I've tried every E on the market...Goldbrokat are the most well balanced I have found. Good news too because they're so cheap...

I prefer them to Hill, Westminster and Jarger.

September 14, 2007 at 01:13 AM · I like Goldbrokat, but I think the real answer lies in adjustment, not strings.

September 14, 2007 at 05:06 AM · I know nothing about adjustment but I do know that someone with a talent for soundpost adjustment can make a world of difference on any violin.

Unfortunately I don't know how the tailpiece and other such things work since I've never seen a set up in person. When I've had my violin properly set up, the difference is always noticeable as well. I really need to do it more often. With my violin as is, I've found Goldbrokat the most pleasing.

September 14, 2007 at 08:28 PM · Well, if ur violin is either German or Italian, (an old one) then the best strings, if u want rich full sound, are Eudoxa strings. Although they are gut strings and many people say that they are so unstable that they can't be used well. Well, let me tell u. I've been using gut strings for over a year and never have I once thought that they were unstable except the first few days (2-3) during which the strings need to stretch. Other than that, I love my strings. And the Eudoxa set is so rich in sound, but it sounds dead on new violins or Chinese ones...have fun string shopping!

September 14, 2007 at 09:31 PM · And there is always the classic Wondertone Gold Label E, which I have used for years. It has a very pretty sound on my violin, and no whistles. I have been using Tziganes for awhile, and the Tzigane E is very nice too, but a louder.

September 17, 2007 at 09:16 PM · Just a little shoutout for the Kaplan Special e - Several others were too harsh for my instrument, but I like this one a lot.. Plus, it's designed to stop e string squeakiness, and works very well for me at least :)

September 17, 2007 at 09:23 PM · I found the Kaplan too gritty sounding although it did get rid of my whistling e problem. Your best bet may be to go to your luthier with your violin, explain what you are looking for in an e, let the luthier play the violin and then suggest an e that is likely to acheive the effect you seek.

January 14, 2008 at 12:59 AM · Anybody try Dominants with Tzigane E?

January 14, 2008 at 02:26 AM · Goldbrokat E is often mentioned as the gold standard (pun intended) E choice for many high-end players.

It all depends... The Jarger Forte E is somtimes mentioned as a very pleasing choice with Dominants. Hill and Westminster make only E strings. Experiment.

January 16, 2008 at 08:10 PM · On the subject of E-strings, I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the Warchal Karneol yet! I tried one on the recommendation of someone in a forum a long time ago; it's sweet, silky, relatively low-tension and hands down better than any Pirastro/Thomasik/Corelli products I've tried.

January 17, 2008 at 07:23 AM · Try the Hill e string. It is a beautiful calm sounding string that does not blare. You can get some nice nuances with it, unlike some other high tension e strings that just go for volume and can set you teeth on edge.

August 6, 2008 at 05:22 PM · Ived tried the wound stark EUDOXA its pretty good but it has alil grittyness at first.

August 6, 2008 at 06:31 PM · Fareeh,

Thanks for the suggestion. I will try that string next although I am currently playing an Obligato e and am very happy with it. Since I posted the original request a year ago I have discovered that my violin is susceptible to humidity changes that occur here (Grass Valley, CA) in the fall and spring which really changes the brightness of the instrument. I've found that if I leave the violin in the case whenever I am not playing that the effect can be nearly eliminated. I think that the a/c tends to dry the instrument excessively causing the brightness. I like leaving it out because it is easier to pick up and play for a half hour or so and come back later when my shoulder is less tired but it is definitely worth the extra effort of putting it in the case to avoid the seasonal change.

January 2, 2011 at 02:53 AM ·

Who else has tried the Peter Infeld platinum "e" and what did you think in comparison?

January 2, 2011 at 01:02 PM ·

Try one of Pirastro's covered Es.  They make one specifically for use with their range of uncovered gut strings, so they obviously wouldn't want something that's too bright and out of character with the gut.

The other possibility lies in your violin's setup. Perhaps a slight adjustment of the sound post (by a luthier) could reduce the E's brightness. 

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Los Angeles Philharmonic
Los Angeles Philharmonic