some good modern (post-1950) violin repertoire

June 13, 2007 at 04:18 AM · So, one of my assignments from my new teacher at UMD is to find a modern (post-1950) piece to play. Any suggestions of things that any of you guys particularly like, and that are easy to find the music to?

Replies (24)

June 13, 2007 at 05:06 AM · Fratres by Arvo Part is really nice. You can order the music from Shar. It's for violin and piano. I think he wrote it in 1977 and revised it in 1980.

June 13, 2007 at 05:17 AM · Glass violin concerto.

Use it instead of Schradieck... and it sounds good when it's polished.

June 13, 2007 at 06:40 AM · Suite for solo violin by Vántus István. Broekmans en Van Poppel ( www.broekmans.com ) have it.

June 13, 2007 at 07:55 AM · Check out the Penderecki Cadenza for Solo Violin (originally for viola). It's pretty great.

June 14, 2007 at 08:30 AM · why don't you try following pieces?

partita for soloviolin from V.Barkauskas

meditation from G.Kancheli

le boeuf sur le toit D.Milhaud

concerto G.Ligeti

June 14, 2007 at 10:16 AM · V.Ovchinnikov "Ballade" Op.2 for violin and piano, published by State Music Publishers, Moscow 1962

This was a piece written especially for the Tchaikovsky competition (you know, the one that you get to learn withing a very short period of time),and I really enjoy playing it.

But your accompanist might have a different oppinion ...

June 16, 2007 at 12:40 PM · Bernstein, Serenade (1954)

Shostakovich, Sonata Op. 134 (1968)

Nielsen, Praeludium und Thema mit Variationen, Op. 48 (1953)

June 16, 2007 at 04:29 PM · Lutoslawski - Partita or Subito

Crumb - Four Nocturnes for violin and prepared piano

June 16, 2007 at 05:34 PM · I'd suggest the Miklós Rósza Violin Concerto. It's a very fine piece and is extremely difficult (lots of work required). Also the Waxman Carmen Fantasie is a good piece to learn.

June 16, 2007 at 09:18 PM · Nenad Firšt: Something Wild

(publicity advertisement :p)

joke... I know that man, and today I saw that somebody won the award in Brahms competition with this piece, ...and I was shocked :)

Anyway, I like this composition.

Lucija

June 17, 2007 at 12:51 AM · George Rochberg Caprice Variations. John Harbison Songs of Solitude. George Perle Solo Sonata. John Corigliano Red Violin Caprices.

June 17, 2007 at 02:16 AM · Another vote for the "Songs of Solitude."

If you like serial music -- or something approximating it, the Sessions Sonata is something - qutie difficult, unfortunately. Someone suggested Waxman -- you could be nailed for that, since it was written for the 1946 movie "Humoresque," and doesn't technically meet the 1950+ standard.

Kevin

May 14, 2008 at 03:51 AM ·

May 14, 2008 at 05:28 AM · Greetings,

a very profound update,

Cheers,

Buri

May 14, 2008 at 07:13 AM · Tomas Svoboda has sound clips and score samples for most if not all of his work on his website:

http://www.tomassvoboda.com/soundclips.html

there are quite a number of pieces for violin and various accompanying instruments amongst them.

http://www.TomasSvoboda.com/all_strings.html

I particularly like his string quartet No.2 from 1996

http://www.tomassvoboda.com/sm/op151sc_1st_p3-4.html

May 14, 2008 at 08:20 AM · I've got one :) a piece called Variations for Violin and Piano (1982).

May 15, 2008 at 11:13 AM · Today, I stumbled into this quartet by Jalbert (born 1967), didn't like the first movement, but I found the second movement very interesting ...

http://www.livingarchive.org/jalbert_works_quartet_II.html

May 16, 2008 at 01:36 AM · Here is an awesome solo piece: "Fuga for Solo Violin" by Alfred Schnittke.

May 16, 2008 at 01:48 AM · A night at the Chinese Operas, by Bright Sheng, written for the last Indianapolis Violin Competition. You need a great pianist though.

May 16, 2008 at 03:47 AM · thanks for all the advice, everyone! i should have updated this thread earlier, like when i chose a piece... haha. anyway, i decided to learn the Lee Hoiby Sonata for Violin and Piano.

please keep the suggestions coming! the more ideas i have for modern pieces, the better. the more i learn and play, the more i'm convinced of the importance of learning contemporary music in addition to the classics.

May 16, 2008 at 05:03 AM · Greetings,

Tommy, you make a really importnat point. One of the things one often find demnded by contemporary scores is utterly precise rythm. Then when you go back to Beehtoven and Mozart one often becomes conscious of how sloppy one has actually been.

Cheers,

Buri

May 16, 2008 at 08:45 PM · But if you want real fun, you can

try Petar Christoskov's 24 Bulgarian

Caprices for solo violin (!)

May 16, 2008 at 09:55 PM · The "Fuga for Solo Violin" is from Schnittke's "Suite in the Old Style."

November 25, 2010 at 06:52 PM ·

I made a post above about my 1982 work Variations for Violin and Piano. Just recently I got sent a recording of it that was done in 1984 that I didn't seem to have a copy of. It's one of my favourite interpretations of it so I've just uploaded it to the webpage on it.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Los Angeles Philharmonic
Los Angeles Philharmonic