Results of the V.com Reader Survey

June 5, 2007 at 04:07 AM · Again, thanks to all who participated in our reader survey, which was conducted by the Blog Reader Project. We thought you might be interested in the results!

Replies (24)

June 5, 2007 at 04:41 AM · Greetings,

I was puzzled by the picture of sex. It looked a bit anodyne to me,

Cheers,

Buri

June 5, 2007 at 04:50 AM · lol!...

Interesting results and thanks Laurie.

...still laughing!

June 5, 2007 at 05:02 AM · Interesting... Thanks Laurie. You're batting a thousand this month--first the amazing sharing from the Delay event, and now this. That's still not an excuse for not having a v.com t-shirt in your New York blogs though--hey, life's tough on me too. ;)....

June 5, 2007 at 12:01 PM · That's odd, I thought I saw a photo of laurie with the v.com t-shirt in her first ny blog.

June 6, 2007 at 09:23 PM · Greetings, fellow "Law and Order" and "House" fans.

June 6, 2007 at 10:59 PM · We're apparently a pretty well-educated bunch, not to mention Democrat- and Independent-heavy. I knew there were reasons I liked this place. :)

June 6, 2007 at 11:30 PM · We're not all democrats, maura.

June 7, 2007 at 06:05 AM · etc...

June 7, 2007 at 12:28 AM · da burbs

June 7, 2007 at 12:40 AM · Marty,

I'm not a Democrat either, I'm registered Independent because I can't stand political parties in general. (That said, I am somewhat left-of-center.) And if you read my comment carefully, you will note that I did NOT say we were all Democrats anyways. Serves me right for mentioning politics on here though...

June 7, 2007 at 12:49 AM · Word up, Maura

June 7, 2007 at 12:50 AM · Was the survey limited to V.com or did it include members of other blog websites?

Ihnsouk

June 7, 2007 at 02:25 AM · These results linked to above are demographics Violinist.com readers only.

The whole project gathered data from lots of different websites.

June 7, 2007 at 03:16 AM · It's not surprising that most of us are well educated, as I think most musicians working professionally would have had some sort of post-grad degree, or at least aspirations to get some post-graduate qualifications.

June 7, 2007 at 05:23 AM · Several of the results surprised me: (1) There are almost as many people in my age group (56-65) as in each of the lowest two age groups (<18 and 18-20). OK, you middle aged folks out there, start writing blogs. (2) There are a lot of people who live in a household of one, as I do. (3) I expected most of the respondents to be relatively well off financially, but I didn't expect incomes to be as high as they are. (There are many possible explanations for this.)

Thanks for posting the results, Laurie. How will you use them?

June 7, 2007 at 10:46 AM · Pauline - I think it would depend on the size of data base to draw general conclusions. If it was small, an error or a plank answer can be exaggerated skewing the results. About the age group, note that 56-65 spans 10 years but 18-20 only 3 years.

The result is a summary of those who participated in the survey. Did a big majority participate? If not, one would also need some profiling to interpret the data. An example would be if democrats in general tend to be more willing to repond to a survey, the survey will show a greater portion of democrats even if the community is not necessarily so.

Ihnsouk

June 7, 2007 at 12:12 PM · I think it is cute how on the religion graph the Baptists are squeezed in between the Atheists, the Buddhists, and the Agnostics.

June 7, 2007 at 01:26 PM · It's probably just for alphabetical reasons, but that *is* amusingly ironic...

June 7, 2007 at 05:12 PM · Well, I'm a Christian agnostic Baptist with eastern notions present, so I feel warm and cuddly betwixt the two.

June 7, 2007 at 05:25 PM · I found it cute because I am friends with a Baptist-Turned- Buddhist, and he's married to a Methodist-Turned-Reformed Jewish gal.

June 7, 2007 at 06:19 PM · I am not getting the results when I click on the link. What am I doing wrong?

June 7, 2007 at 06:25 PM · It takes a while to load. The results are in pie charts in color.

Ihnsouk

June 7, 2007 at 07:50 PM · Ihnsouk, I agree with your critique of the study. I have reviewed many survey srudies myself, and I'm well aware of the pitfalls. Nevertheless, I have the subjective perception that most of the bloggers are young. Many are high school or college students. Others are probably in their 30s or 40s. I must be one of the few over-fifty bloggers. I feel that I'm out on a fringe here. On the other hand, my subjective perception of the discussions is that there is a preponderance of people with established careers who are older than most of the bloggers.

June 7, 2007 at 09:47 PM · Pauline, It sounds like I was talking to an expert on survey. I am sure you know more about this.

Ihnsouk

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Los Angeles Philharmonic
Los Angeles Philharmonic