am i a sexy dinosaur?

May 27, 2007 at 05:16 AM · so 2 things on v.com will get the post number exceeding 100 in no time. shoulder rest and sex:)

(banging my fist on the table uncontrollably)

Replies (30)

May 27, 2007 at 05:32 AM · I enjoy restless play.

May 27, 2007 at 06:15 AM · I knew it I knew it! I was sitting around waiting for someone to start a Dinosaur 2.

May 27, 2007 at 11:21 AM · I think threads like this are starting to lose their sex appeal. :)

May 27, 2007 at 11:46 AM · i kinda feel guilty to have posted late into the climax of approaching 100 on the other thread having come into that thread late. in exchange for the precious real estate of that one post, i, being that someone, give you back one thread, so people like jon and kevin can help fight off the weaning sex appeal:)

i consider this topic a discrimination againist beautiful people for which i have contacted ACLU.

May 27, 2007 at 04:45 PM · Mmmmmmmm sexy!

May 27, 2007 at 04:52 PM · for me it`s simple : everything in this matter depends on what you W A N T .

May 27, 2007 at 10:18 PM · Regarding the pervasive theme of poorly-chosen concert attire, may I present

May 27, 2007 at 10:20 PM · Oops, something didn't work there...

*ahem* take two:

Regarding the pervasive theme of poorly-chosen concert attire, may I present Exhibit A: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZTm56IfqQk

May 28, 2007 at 01:34 AM · Al: only your wife would know. :-)

May 28, 2007 at 03:36 PM · Looks like this discussion is kaput...while we're all being silly, I may as well join in. Guys, over on the other thread when we were all moaning about what a terrible tragedy has befallen Great Art now that lots of our violinists are good-looking and don't try to hide it, did you ever stop to think that even the violinists of the Golden Age weren't all ugly, bald little fat men with silly voices? We are most familiar with how they looked when they were getting fairly old, because that's when video recording etc. became more common. We may be used to hearing them at their best, but we rarely *see* them at their best. ;-) (I thought of this while watching Art of Violin last night.) But I mean, seriously, have any of you seen pics of the young George Enescu? Yowza.

May 28, 2007 at 03:49 PM · Yes, but I bet he looks pretty awful now...

May 28, 2007 at 03:52 PM · He died in 1955, but that was hardly my point...

May 28, 2007 at 09:12 PM · That settles it! There's no choice but to create the "World's Sexiest Violinist" contest. Entrants will be expected to compete in the:

- Smoothest shift competition.

- Most seductive vibrato competition.

- Sexiest staccato competition.

- Raunchiest rosin competition.

- Most revealing evening gown competition. And for the women violinists, best looking in tights.

The winner will wear the World's Sexiest Violinist crown for a year.

Waddaya think?

May 28, 2007 at 09:37 PM · This thread has wandered into some veeeeery dangerous waters...can't wait to watch.

May 29, 2007 at 02:08 AM · why aren@t I allowed to wear tights? Nobody criticized Superman, even if he did have trouble with putting his underpants on in the wrong order.

May 29, 2007 at 02:27 AM · Actually, Maura's post on concert attire makes me think we need to start a fashion blog for violinists...

Buri, by all means EXPRESS yourself.

May 29, 2007 at 03:45 AM · This thread is going to make it to 102.

May 29, 2007 at 04:01 AM · I once had a supervisor who came in to work one Sunday morning on his way to the golf course wearing a lime green polyesture leisure suit--I've not played golf to this day!. Buri in tights--looks like I'm switching to Viola!.

May 29, 2007 at 04:25 AM · then I`d have to give you your tights back.

May 29, 2007 at 05:02 AM · Al ku, what do you mean by weaning? Isn't that where a calf gets weaned from its mother's milk? They call them weaners.

Hmmmm.

The Weaner Philharmonic.

Weaner schitzel.

May 29, 2007 at 06:23 AM · Greetings,

isn@t it schnitzel? The schitzel come afterwards.

Cheers,

Buri

May 29, 2007 at 02:38 PM · "Buri, by all means EXPRESS yourself."

Laurie - Buri is expressing himself on stage playing violin already. For me, there is no way I will be hearing his playing if he is wearing tights. How can I miss out on that entertainment whether he plays like an angel or not? As far as I am concerned, his violin will only be an excuse to stay on stage as long as he can, to show his tights. If that's what he wants, by all means, but don't blame me if I don't remember anything of his playing.

In this dabate, let's also remember those stages are built with public money, m/billions of it, of the finest materials in the world. Do pop singers get to sing on a stage like that? Is Hollywood glitz a match? And don't forget that not all of what artists get paid is what they really earn by ticket sales. Another few millions go into it in the hopes that art brings us some measure to the meaning of life since food stamps alone cannot salvage day to day difficulties of life.

Ihnsouk

May 29, 2007 at 12:59 PM · Ihnsouk, sorry, serious discussion has gone completely out the window and this is now the Official V.com Goof-off Thread. I mean, look, Buri's eating Wiener schnitzel in tights, I've suddenly developed a ridiculous schoolgirl crush on the young George Enescu, Sander is MCing the Sexy Violinist Competition, and Maxim Vengerov (on my YouTube clip) is wearing an ugly pink shirt. Serious discussion here? Anyone? I didn't think so...

May 29, 2007 at 01:49 PM · Yes, Maura. I was staying out of this thread until I saw Laurie's "EXPRESS yourself". So I did. Don't mind me and continue to have fun.

Ihnsouk

May 29, 2007 at 01:53 PM · Maura, where are these Enescu pictures you speak of?

May 29, 2007 at 04:07 PM · i don't think this discussion has to be serious or has to be not serious. and above all, everyone (i hope?) appreaciates some light moments even if it is a serious discussion.

as i have said before, there is not much to discuss if all we talk about is how others inappropriately dress on stage because there is no consensus on "appropriateness".

what if a female performer picks out an elegant dress (to her) but YOU think it is actually sexy or too sexy?

her problem with taste/style or yours? or, is there really a problem?

can the dress be so bothersome that it affects the music? like, if the cover is not designed to your taste that you will not bother to read the book?

serious?:)

on the other hand, buri wearing tights on stage is a different ball game.

May 29, 2007 at 02:43 PM · Laurie, I tried uploading one here but for some reason it didn't work. Check my blog. :)

May 29, 2007 at 08:05 PM · in case anyone may be interested...

follow the link for some photos and writings of somee famous players, or search for such;;;;;;

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/15535/15535-h/15535-h.htm

VIOLIN MASTERY

TALKS WITH MASTER VIOLINISTS

AND TEACHERS

COMPRISING INTERVIEWS WITH YSAYE, KREISLER,

ELMAN, AUER, THIBAUD, HEIFETZ, HARTMANN,

MAUD POWELL AND OTHERS

BY

FREDERICK H. MARTENS

WITH SIXTEEN PORTRAITS

NEW YORK

FREDERICK A. STOKES COMPANY

PUBLISHERS

May 30, 2007 at 05:23 AM · Imagine, if you will - Pinchas Zukerman doing the booty dance in recital.

May 31, 2007 at 01:06 AM · ron, that is a great link, need time to go over that. here is a token of thanks:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUDIoN-_Hxs

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Los Angeles Philharmonic
Los Angeles Philharmonic