Virgin Islands Needs Violin Instructor

May 26, 2007 at 06:29 AM · We are very seriously looking for a dynamic Suzuki Violin instructor for many motivated students from Twinkles through Book 4 in St. Thomas, Virgin Islands. Two teachers are leaving island for family matters (pregnancy and 90 year old parents). This is an incredible opportunity for the right person. My daughter began playing at age 3 and is now 9. Like many families here, we are desperately visualizing a great person working with us. The beaches, sailing, warm weather, motivated students - a dream come true! Please contact me for more information about this fantastic opportunity.

Replies (39)

June 18, 2007 at 05:25 AM · I have been so hoping that someone would see this message and think they need a break from their normal life and want to experience a different beat for either short term or long term. Three Virgin Island students are now in Beaver Creek at the Suzuki Institute, and we are hoping someone will want a change of pace. We play all over the place, from our sailboats, to the beach and functions, parties, and special events. We all love our music and really need a teacher. Any ideas???

June 18, 2007 at 05:40 AM · I doubt a teacher could survive on the tuition of 3 students. However, it sure would be nice to live out there:)

Good luck to those of you. I for one am but a student...

June 18, 2007 at 06:58 AM · Well, if you ever need a voice teacher, I'm there!

Sadly, my violin playing has been known to scare away large rats.

June 22, 2007 at 03:26 AM · We have well over 20 current students who need a teacher. Three of us are at the Institute in

Beaver Creek right now. We have an apartment, many motivated students, a great sailboat, and I know two teachers were surviving very well. We have a lot of interest here in Beaver Creek. These teachers are so well established though that they do not want to leave their current students. I think when it is cold and snowy that the Virgin Islands will sound a lot better though. We have faith that this is the right opportunity for someone.

June 22, 2007 at 03:26 AM · We have well over 20 current students who need a teacher. Three of us are at the Institute in

Beaver Creek right now. We have an apartment, many motivated students, a great sailboat, and I know two teachers were surviving very well. We have a lot of interest here in Beaver Creek. These teachers are so well established though that they do not want to leave their current students. I think when it is cold and snowy that the Virgin Islands will sound a lot better though. We have faith that this is the right opportunity for someone.

July 7, 2007 at 03:17 AM · I have a very interested Suzuki teacher who may be coming for two weeks every two months from Boulder, Colorado. She is wonderful and certified through book 10. I am hoping that she may love it here enough to want to move. Can we move forward with a teacher only two weeks out of 8 or 10?

July 7, 2007 at 04:59 AM · And the rent is what--$4000 a month for a dump? Hmmmm.....

July 7, 2007 at 05:35 AM · Send me a ticket this winter. I will come down there and check it out and report my findings to my contacts in the violin world. I'll get you a full timer down there certified through book 250. You don't have to settle for this book 10 weekend warrior stuff.

July 7, 2007 at 07:54 AM · I can't believe no one's taken you up on this yet.

July 7, 2007 at 06:49 PM · For $4,000 you could get beachfront and 5 incredible bedrooms. Rents here seem pretty reasonable and we even have an apartment for the right person with rent negotiable and definitely in the $500 range with only ocean and tree views. I too am surprised that no one has taken me up on this. I figure when the cold winds are blowing we will be fighting them off. This part time person really wants to come, and we met her and had a lesson in Boulder and really loved her, so now we would just be more interested in someone more permanent and with such a great personality and teaching ability also. Thank you all for responding. I really appreciate knowing that at least you are reading it, and thinking about the possibilities. The possibilities are such a fantastic adventure!

July 9, 2007 at 08:27 AM · The only reason I'm not heading that direction is that I've got an adventure of my own right up here.

I'm brainstorming ways to split my time 50/50, though. Spending my winters in the sun sounds pretty tempting.

July 21, 2007 at 01:32 AM · We are now in process of getting a grant to make it EXTREMELY viable for the Instructor we choose to get set up and be able to take the many students we already have and expand on that also. The Virgin Island Council for the Arts and all the involved parents really want this to succeed. Any interest out there???

July 21, 2007 at 02:33 AM · Have you inquired on the Suzuki sites?

For people who are wondering about the unusual aspects of this offer, I have another data point. Champaign, IL, had basically the best jazz educator in the country at Edison Middle School, Sam Hankins. The Edison Middle School Jazz Band was finally competing at the COLLEGIATE level, and at most concerts, there were people in tears. They were flown all over the country to play.

Sam was offered the moon, including a new band building, to teach in Bermuda and is now there.

July 21, 2007 at 08:12 AM · Certainly there is some violinist who loves the sun and the ocean and has no current obligations, perhaps fresh out of the conservatory, maybe a bit disillusioned with the current rat race, looking for some different way to use his or her skills to help others while totally enjoying life at the same time.

Who out there is up for an adventure? Anyone? Any symphony rejects? Any violinists who didn't make the cut? Tired of second fiddle? Tired of traffic and big cities? Tired of being unwanted? Need a secure future?

Somebody please be bold enough to give this a try! I can't believe that no one wants to do this. It doesn't have to mean forever. Life has room for many adventures, and this one would be totally worth the experience.

Where's your sense of adventure, guys? Anyone without current or future obligations should reconsider the offer.

(This is exactly how I ended up in Alaska, by the way. All you do is make the phone calls and buy the ticket.)

July 21, 2007 at 04:00 PM · Place an ad on the ASTA website. Suzuki Institutes are in full swing as well-you could look up where more advanced training is happening and send info to those institutes. Contact schools that offer degrees in Suzuki Pedagogy and inquire about recent graduates

http://suzukiassociation.org/teachers/training/long/.

Go to the SAA website and look through the teacher listings-then just email people who seem to fit your qualifications. It seems your best candidates will be young without a lot of commitments yet or perhaps someone who is experienced but recently retired and ready for a new adventure.

July 21, 2007 at 04:21 PM · I must say that I have known Sherrie for over 30 years and she is very serious about obtaining a truly qualified instructor for the students in her beautiful home area.

This truly would be a fabulous opportunity for a quality Suzuki trained instructor who would be interested in an exciting new experience in one of the worlds true paradises. I know that when Sherrie sets her mind to make something happen she MAKES IT HAPPEN!!!. This is to say that something of this importance to her, her talented daughter and the other talented students in St. Thomas that she is concerned about will only lead to her ultimate success. I only wish that she was campaigning for a guitar/pedal steel guitar instructor. I would be out of Kansas City in a New York second!! Someone who is qualified, please respond if only out of curiousity. I should think that it would be titillating at the very least and compelling at the optimum.

July 21, 2007 at 04:36 PM · Hi,

I am interested, would it be possible to give me more details?

July 21, 2007 at 06:19 PM · Hi Carrie:

I know that Sherrie will contact you when she returns as she and her daughter and friends are sailing to Norman Island today and will return tomorrow,Sunday. Thank you for your response. I can't wait to hear what she tells me about your conversation.

July 24, 2007 at 02:51 AM · Emily; I hope someday we get a chance to meet either here or in Alaska. You sound like a positive, talented, adventurer. I so much appreciate all your "words of wisdom". Carrie; I look forward to hearing back from you. Jeff; Thank you for your kind and stimulating words. Everybody that is thinking about this; I know someone is going to jump on this soon. We do have the teacher from Boulder scheduled to come here October 20-November 4, which will be great, but we need more. Our Montessori school is also willing and wanting to start a music program, with orchestra, strings, voice, and more. I feel that this is going to happen this year, and it will be great. Thank you everyone who is helping us. I am putting together an ad for the Suzuki site coming soon. Thank you so much! Sherrie

August 9, 2007 at 02:41 AM · So far I have two teachers coming for short stints this fall and we are all going to a Suzuki workshop in Puerto Rico. Is anyone else interested? Our school is now looking for a Suzuki certified strings instructor who can also teach voice, ensemble and piano. We also have a steel pan group to incorporate into the mix. It's a great set up.

August 30, 2007 at 03:11 AM · I have two great teachers coming down in Sept. and Oct. for short periods. Next week I will be posting a job listing on the Suzuki sites. Our school has a great space, commitment for a Suzuki string program and theory in the curriculum and private and group lessons/ensemble after school and weekends. We are getting a grant from the VI Counsel of the Arts to get us started and as I said before, there are a lot of students and even more potential. I know the right person is going to see this and feel the need to respond and come and check us out. We have a beautiful and green campus with great families.

August 30, 2007 at 03:45 AM · Do you all perhaps need any great students? You know...just because? ;)

August 30, 2007 at 12:53 PM · I think we have some really great students, but there is always room for more, if only we had a great teacher to make them even greater. Our teacher left the island to have a baby in Puerto Rico. These kids practise alone and in groups even without a teacher. What to do???

August 31, 2007 at 01:31 PM · What to do? Not limit your search to Suzuki teachers.

September 22, 2007 at 12:56 AM · Still looking for the right person, although we have three people scheduled to come this fall for a week or two. Looking for long term creative, energetic Suzuki and traditional teacher. Check out school website at VIMontessori.com

September 22, 2007 at 01:32 AM · Part of the problem is this could be just an expensive interview. If you had someone in the U.S. interviewing, you'd get somebody down there.

September 22, 2007 at 02:06 PM · You are so right. I've been using all my frequent flyer miles. Other than that we have a spare bedroom and/or studio apt. to stay in. We are having fun with it too. We'll be in Kansas City at Christmas and New York City for New Years till Jan. 4 if anybody wants to interview then. We could always use a lesson too.

September 22, 2007 at 05:14 PM · I know I'm so right. And why would anybody go down there for an intervew when you say you don't mind having the job unfilled four months from now? You don't need to hire anybody. It would take an idiot to go down there expecting to get a job.

September 23, 2007 at 01:08 AM · I don't agree. I just have three people who already have a lot of students that we used at camp this summer scheduled for times down here right now, so don't feel so crazy about it. We have also been using a great jazz piano teacher and learning improvisation techniques even for a 9 year old and playing with a band at a beach bar. There are lots of students without a teacher just using the ones coming for short visits. We definitely need a teacher and don't have one. So I would not say only an idiot would think they would have a job here. Look up our VI Montessori School online and see what a beautiful school we have. We definitely want a music program there and feel that Suzuki and Montessori go hand in hand. I know it is coming. I just know not to jump with the first as you say "idiot" that wants it. It must be a bummer for you to be so pessimistic when it comes to adventure.

September 23, 2007 at 02:47 AM · "It must be a bummer for you to be so pessimistic when it comes to adventure. "

Do you send a check and then want part of it forwarded to a friend? What are you doing? How does it work?

September 25, 2007 at 03:10 AM · I don't understand your questions. S

November 19, 2007 at 02:29 AM · We have our first person arriving in ten days to check us out and hopefully want to stay in the Virgin Islands and get the Suzuki program back into the swing of things. We have had two instructors come that I recruited from the summer institute, but they have a full studio going at home and just came to help us out. I hope this person works out. Is anyone feeling pretty cold and looking for the endless summer and beautiful beaches and boating in between the beautiful violining. Our Montessori school really wants a Suzuki instructor, so I know that is very limiting. We are hoping for a Jan. start. I do hope this person is who we are looking for, but the door is always open for the creative and adventurous.

November 19, 2007 at 04:41 AM · I recall that some time ago, Emily posted a notice that people in the Aleutian Islands were looking for a violin teacher to hire. As I remember, the Aleutian Islands constitute a remote outpost with many young men but very few trees. I don't know whether that position was ever filled.

Jim, I admire your unselfish offer to go to the Virgin Islands and report on the situation there to the rest of us v.commies.

November 19, 2007 at 07:04 AM · Reefing a mainsail is my specialty:

1st

2nd

3rd

reef points I excell

continually playing an Irish Reel in 'D'

also can perform ballads whilst trimming the genoa.

available for contract work while lowering genoa and fitting jib OR storm sail

adept at spinnaker up to speeds of 15 knots.

can navigate by the stars while playing ALL of the Paganini Caprices with NO notation.

can 'read' waves and currents

while playing Mendelssohn Concertos

able to moor boat,tie off and party for hours on end AND be respectable the next day

EVEN in gale force winds,as I throw astern the anchor in an effort to save ONLY ONE of my Strads....

references available on request;seafood a MUST---a given-constantly...

you pay for bow re-hair___every month,as well as fresh strings and adequate rosin[fresh pine only,but cured]

watch for me at your Yacht Club

oft I play flat,so they say, but I can make the fiddle sing--really [most of the time]

available immediately__________no strings attached !!!!!!!

contact my agent---Sir Nom de Fromage a la Fretless Essence_______Quebec City______toll free call______OR instant message...

ta ta---for now.

November 19, 2007 at 07:50 AM · "a remote outpost with many young men but very few trees"

You'll see them standing in circles around the few trees that exist.

November 21, 2007 at 03:45 AM · Joe, You sound like you are ready for a sail! We would love to have you come down and sail with us, especially if you can fiddle at the same time. Do you teach kids? Or just like to play with the waves? I enjoyed your musing.

Jim, what's this with the tree thing?

Sherrie

January 19, 2008 at 03:57 AM · A quick update. We are thrilled to report that we have a fantastic violin teacher, Brett Omara who moved here last week and has started lessons in our Montessori and has about 20 private students to start with after school. I am very surprised that more people were not interested in this, but think we have a the teacher we were looking for. Time will tell. Thanks to everyone who responded and for all the encouragement.

January 19, 2008 at 04:38 AM · Sherrie (June): I think when it is cold and snowy that the Virgin Islands will sound a lot better though.

Sherrie (January): We are thrilled to report that we have a fantastic violin teacher

Haha, you were right...

January 25, 2008 at 01:31 PM · Dear Sherrie,

My name is Veronica. I´m glad to hear you finally found a teacher, but I have to say, I am a little upset because I called you and called you about this job and I never heard from you. I called you in November, in December... I called your phone and your cell... I left tons of messages!

Now it seems too late but can I still contact you and send you my resume, in case you might need a teacher later -maybe during the summer?

You never know...

Good luck with the new teacher!

Veronica Pellegrini

pellegriniveronic@yahoo.es

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Los Angeles Philharmonic
Los Angeles Philharmonic