James Ehnes recordings.

May 19, 2007 at 08:33 PM · Anyone got any specially recommended James Ehnes recordings? I saw him live last night playing the Elgar concerto and that was the first time I've heard anything about him. Beautiful playing!

Replies (20)

May 19, 2007 at 09:09 PM · I'm partial to his Dvorak. James Ehnes plays it remarkably well.

May 19, 2007 at 10:10 PM · How about all of them? He's really fantastic. His Wieniawski pieces are great, the French Showpieces album has one of the best Chausson Po√®me's ever, and his Bruch concerti are certainly not to be missed, as is his recent recording of the Korngold, Barber and Walton Concerti.

Mr. Ehnes is really terrific - his readings are a great example of terrific technique with utmost integrity to the music and the violin.

Cheers!

May 19, 2007 at 11:23 PM · I was glancing at the Onyx label's website the other day and saw that he is set to record the Elgar concerto for a disc that will be released in autumn. So that might interest you. As for the recordings that are already out, just pick whatever repertoire interests you the most. All of them are great.

May 20, 2007 at 12:15 AM · His recording of the Bach partitas and sonatas is amazing, truly worth owning.

Also have to agree that his recordings of the Bruch concerti might just be the best out there.

May 20, 2007 at 12:43 AM · I have his recording of Ravel, Debussy, and Saint-Saens accompanied by Wendy Chen (CBC Recording). I like it. Sometimes his vibrato is quite wide, which produces almost cello-like sound, but works.

May 20, 2007 at 02:56 AM · It seems like he's waiting to do the really standard concertos. He isn't clamouring to record Tchaikovsky, Brahms etc... however, I really would like it if he would record the Shostakovich concertos.

I have all his recordings except for the Dvorak. His Mozart set is incredible, (funded by Dr. Fulton). I agree the recent Barber, Walton and Korngold CD is great. I love his showpieces too.

I do hope though, that in like 20 years, he'll re-record the Bach sonatas and partitas, because I don't think they're on the same level of maturity as his other stuff.

May 20, 2007 at 03:12 AM · I have his Bach and Wieniawski CDs...

I like Wieniawski one a lot, but I don't like his Bach that much... But you know, it's always personal taste...

May 20, 2007 at 06:45 AM · I did like his cd of the paganini caprices - not exactly light listening, but worth studying for me when prepping for college auditions :)

May 20, 2007 at 08:46 AM · I didnt know he had recorded the paganini caprices. I have Shlomo Mintz and Frank Peter Zimmerman both of which are incredible. I'll look into that. Thanks.

May 20, 2007 at 12:10 PM · Hi,

The Paganini Caprices were recorded for Telarc and may be out of print. He had signed a long term contract with them and recorded the material for like 4 recordings but only one was released.

If I remember correctly, the Caprices were done with no edits (each Caprice is one take) in a very short time. Very impressive. And he is one of the few to do the original bowing in no. 5.

Cheers!

May 20, 2007 at 12:41 PM · His Scottish Fantasy is great! I also am enjoying his recording of Bach sonatas for violin and harpsichord.

May 20, 2007 at 12:43 PM · Thanks Christian. Just looked up amazon and his caprices are on there so think Ill check that out. I think Frank Peter Zimmerman's caprices are out of print though but would recommend to check them out if you get the chance.

May 20, 2007 at 01:17 PM · Dwj, Zimmermann's Paganini Caprices are available through amazon.de.

May 20, 2007 at 07:44 PM · There was an Interview and also Live music by James Ehnes on BBC Radio3 last week. You can still listen to it until May 23rd.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/intune/pip/pjn96/

May 21, 2007 at 03:46 PM · he hasnt yet made a mediochre recording, not even one

im partial to his solo bach, paganini and wieniawski, and the french showpieces are amazing

the bach sonatas for violin and harpsichord have never been done better

repin and ehnes are the best living violinists to me

May 21, 2007 at 08:58 PM · He had a very interesting, tonally rich Tchaikovsky at the Blossom Festival last summer. One of the fastest third movement's I have ever heard.

May 22, 2007 at 02:14 PM · He recorded the Hummel "Adagio and Rondo alla Polacca" and Concerto for violin and the "Potpourri" for viola. Pianist Howard Shelley is featured on the same disc. I like this recording because it shows his versatility as a musician, A) musically; because really...Who plays Hummel? and B) technically; because his viola playing is not a violinist playing the viola...it's clearly a violist playing the viola. Meanwhile the violin playing continues to be some of the most brilliant you'll hear.

May 23, 2007 at 12:18 AM · I genuinely believe that Ehnes (much like Kavakos) is underrated. He doesn't have any weaknesses as a soloist and his interpretations are just right.

October 1, 2007 at 04:56 PM · Just thought I'd post in reply to the early posts on this thread to say that the Elgar Violin Concerto with James Ehnes is now available from ONYX as CD or downloads - their website is www.onyxclassics.com and you can hear stream samples there.

October 27, 2007 at 04:32 PM · I have to agree that his french show pieces are amazing. I don't think I've heard anybody play the last bit of the rondo cappricioso that fast and that clean.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Los Angeles Philharmonic
Los Angeles Philharmonic