A new string by Thomastik

May 11, 2007 at 04:57 AM · Here we go again. Thomastik has a new string. Vision solo. Not Vision, not Titanium, a new one.

Christian? Anyone?

Replies (23)

May 12, 2007 at 01:41 PM · Hi,

I saw my name and thought I should respond...

I have not seen or tried these. However, I must say that my experience with all models of Vision has not been great with my instrument, so I think it is unlikely that I will give these a try.

Cheers!

May 17, 2007 at 05:21 PM · I have just recieved a set of vision solo and playing for few days.This string are really amazing.The g string are so deep,rich,powerful,and so much warmth in it.The whole set work very well together.even the e string,it sing beautifully.i love the full body,darker and warmer sound and power of the set.My feeling of the sound of the vision solo are very close to some heavier gauge gut string,

That is great!(at Least for Me).recently I have also tried the passione form piastro,That is very nice indeed,but not powerful enough(actually its powerful enough for the most work,but if the string give you a reserve power are nicer) i am going to order the thickiest gauge for the next step. my experience of the olive and Plain gut told me that a thicker gauge would be better.For the power and in the tonal aspect.Right now i am so happy with the vision solo.

May 17, 2007 at 07:56 PM · Ray,

That's really interesting. I'm awaiting arrival of a few gauges of Passione, to compare to my newly-adopted haevy Gamut pure-gut.

Now I have a SYNTHETIC string to consider again? good Heavens....

Can you possibly elaborate on the differentce between all three, and also state which specific gauges you've tried? This would be a huge help to me, and probably others as well. I am especially intersted in the expressiveness you mentioned, how much timbral range is available from changing bow speed and pressure (not changing lanes)

Also, have you been recording the results, for comparison, or just remembering?

Having you been judging from the player's perspective, or listening as someone else plays? (these are important considerations.)

----------

And since Thomastik has made this as confusing as humanly possible, am I correct that we are discussing the "VI 100" strings?

May 17, 2007 at 10:06 PM · I couldn't find these at thomastik.com under bowed strings, or products, or what's new, or vision, but I did find them in their catalog download. So, if these are a new string, Thomastik doesn't seem to be advertising them.

May 18, 2007 at 01:13 AM · The Thomastik strings you are inquiring about are Vision SOLO, they also come in Orchestra and Light.

Vision strings are Thomastik's composite core violin string. Clear and complex tone. Titanium Orchestra is a slightly lighter gauge with broader dynamic range.

I recommend them highly (eventhough I am a little bias, as I am an endorsing artist for Thomastik-Infeld).

cool website

May 18, 2007 at 01:50 AM · Gennady,

I'm still a bit confused. You wrote, "The Thomastik strings you are inquiring about are Vision SOLO, they also come in Orchestra and Light."

-But I have seen a package marked "VISION SOLO, ORCHESTRA."

This is mucho confusing. The package I refer to does not have the green & black insert like other Visions. It has an orange insert with an M.C. Escher type graphic. It is advertised by the seller as "Vision Solo," but I see no "solo" on the package. It is designated "VI100." Is this the one being discussed here?

Could this simply be the new packaging design for the entire Vision line? -And the perhaps the seller, being as confused as the rest of us, is describing it incorrectly?

There is also Vision Violin VI100 "Classic formula."

There is yet another Vision variant, with the same graphic, labeled Vision Titanium Orchestra, but also "classic formula" What does "Classic" mean? Did they change the formula, then go back to the old one, like Coke?

May 18, 2007 at 01:28 AM · Gennady,

"I recommend 'them' highly"

Were you referring to Vision Solo?

Thanks

May 18, 2007 at 01:53 AM · Same question.

BTW, Gennady, you are one handsome fellow. (and I say this with full confidence in my absolute and utter heterosexuality!)

May 18, 2007 at 03:49 AM · Hi

The Vision Solo I have mentioned are an absolutely new creation from thomastik-infeld.

The catalog no. are: VIS100

I think Franz from thomastik-infeld(he designed those infeld Red,Blue,Vision......) has just sent me right away when it is ready.

A few month ago i have a set of prototype come with the white sleeves,but that is another story.The set now(VIS100) are amazing.This is deep ,rich ,warm and powerful.I think that sound quality are unique on the synthetic market.

I agree there is a bit confusing when Franz was said :Ray,I am ready now for Vision solo,i will sent to you next week,I think the set especially the G might reach you imagination.

More Vision????we have Vision,Vision titanium solo,Vision titanium orchestra,and now we have the Vision Solo.Why?The Titanium solo are already so sololistic.I can not imagine what vision solo would like before now.They all have different characteristic which might fits different instruments and taste.That is a good thing.I think one who dislike the vision(lack of warmth on some violin)might Love The VISION SOLO.

May 18, 2007 at 05:49 AM · Thanks for the kudos Allan.

Thomastik-Infeld introduced new packaging for this "classic formula" a little while ago with the Escher type graphic.

I use the Vision Titanium SOLO.

Perhaps, for Hong Kong they may have packaged it differently etc.

See the many Thomastik-Infeld Brands

May 18, 2007 at 06:06 AM · Hi Gennady

The Vision solo VIS100 are now on the updated download catalog from thomastik-infeld official website.It seem to be on the market very soon.

I use the Titanium solo also and adoring very much.

best regards

May 18, 2007 at 08:39 AM · The difference between Vision SOLO and Vision Titanium SOLO is in the E string and a mintute difference in the G string.

Vision Titanium Solo

VIT01 e2 mi2 I Stainless steel wire, titanium design 8.0 (kp) 17.6 (lbs)

Vision Solo

VIS01 e2 mi2 I Multi-layer steel wire, tin plated, removable ball end 8.1 (kp) 17.8 (lbs)

VIS04 g sol IV Synthetic core, pure silver wound 4.6 (kp) 10.1 (lbs)

VIT04 g sol IV Synthetic core, pure silver wound 4.7 (kp) 10.3 (lbs)

http://www.thomastik-infeld.com/upload/TI_violin%20folder%2005_07print.pdf

So, to be more clear, there is Vision SOLO and there is Vision Titanium SOLO.

May 18, 2007 at 11:08 AM · Where can one buy the Vision Solo strings in North America? Are they cheaper than the Passione?

May 18, 2007 at 04:58 PM · Well ,Kelvin.when they are released ,Keep your eyes on anywhere whom have sold dominant.

I do not know the prices of it yet,but i pretty sure for to get one set of passione might enough for you to get two set of the VISION titanium solo,or 3 set of VISION(VI100).I think the prices of VISION SOLO(VIS100) would in between those two.

By the way,Passione are very nice,the sound met all you expected for a good wounded gut.Since i have many experience on Gut string,passione does not surprising me a lot.The a string should take extra care,The wound come off easily and the string break.exactly the case of the Olive.( My A string break already just after two week)put down more pencil on the contact form the string to the nut groove and the bridge could help.

August 21, 2007 at 01:47 AM · I'm resurrecting this old thread because I still don't have any luck seeing Vision Solo available in North America. Does anyone have better luck?

August 21, 2007 at 02:20 AM · As far as purchasing the Vision Solo strings, I would think that ordering them on the web would be easy and fairly quick. It's always better to find a wider variety of strings online than it is walking into a store. I have played Vision strings on two violins I have auditioned, and for my personal taste, did not care for them. I really prefer Obligato strings. However, it really does depend on the instrument that they are put on.

August 21, 2007 at 11:56 AM · Which online retailer sells Vision Solo? Shar music doesn't seem to carry it. Neither does Southwest Strings.

August 21, 2007 at 01:48 PM · http://tinyurl.com/ythjaa

But the shop is in Germany, so the exchange rate and shipping would probably make them pretty expensive

December 4, 2007 at 03:30 AM · I recently emailed Thomastik for Vision TITANIUM solo set, and they said they're going to send me them. It's been three weeks. How are the Titanium solo and non-titanium solo different?

October 15, 2008 at 02:36 AM · Just wanted to ask if anyone has tried the E strings from both the Vision Titanium solo and the Vision solo line? Are there any differences you have noticed between the two? I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

November 18, 2008 at 08:57 PM ·

I have now tried (just over the past week) the "new" Vision Solo strings on two violins of very different character and they are really fabulous strings.  In addition to wonderful sound and responsiveness, they also stabilize amazingly fast. I

I've also tried Passione and Dogal Vivaldi during the current year, and both have stability issues, as far as I'm concerned.  Also, the Dogal have tended to break at the ball end, first the G and this morning, the A. However, the Dogals are flexible enough that you can knot the broken ball end and get at least one more use out of them (did it for the G and now for the just retired (in favor of the Vision Solos) A).

Apparently the Vision Solos are just making it to market in the US. When I ordered my first 2 sets a few weeks ago, only Southwest Strings seemed to have them.  Today they are also available at Concord Music.

They probably cost between $60 and $70 a set at ~ 50% discount.

Andy

November 25, 2008 at 05:53 PM ·

I was using Vision Titanium solo but recently put on a promo set of the Vision Solo. I can say that I prefer them over the Titanium solo as they have a slightly grippier more agressive feel. The Titanium are much more focused and feel smoother under the bow but for me they were a little too slippery. But both are very good strings (my favorite synthetics) I'll probably stick with the Vision Titanium and also plain Vision as I can get those cheaper than the new Vision Solo.

edit: I wanted to also mention that I find the aluminum D superior on my violin. Much faster response and projection.

November 25, 2008 at 07:15 PM ·

My International Violin Co. catalog that arrived yesterday shows Vision Solos for $46 and $48/set, depending on whether Al or steel D.

Andy

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe