What are the top music schools in the world?

April 27, 2007 at 05:39 AM · What do you guys consider the top five or ten music schools in the world, and how do Julliard and Curtis fit in,or do they? And does it go without saying that you have to be a prodigy to get in the door?

Replies (16)

April 27, 2007 at 06:52 PM · I would say the top few in the UK would be:

Royal College Of Music

Royal Academy Of Music

Trinity College Of Music

In that order, however there's also of course the royal northern, royal scottish, guilhall, menuhin and others of note.

April 28, 2007 at 05:27 AM · "And does it go without saying that you have to be a prodigy to get in the door?"

Well, I got into Peabody, so not only do you not have to be a prodigy, but I guess that knocks Peabody off the top 10 list.

April 28, 2007 at 07:13 AM · Schools don't mean anything. Even famous people as teachers means nothing. The key is hard work and practice. Cziffra is a good example I think http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SygS5yz7x5M Gypsies didn't go to school and I have to say he knows a thing or two.

Going back to schools. Just because a school is difficult to get into, does not mean it's the greatest school (curtis) I'm at IU at the moment and there are plenty of average musicians here and a few incredibly exceptional ones as well.

I'm not to clear with my thoughts I know, but what I'm trying to say is. I think the most important is to have a teacher that is compatible with you and inspires you to work your hardest and most efficient. No teacher can do the work for you, they can only help you if you have questions.

April 28, 2007 at 09:01 AM · In England,

joint first place, Royal College, Royal Northern, royal Academy.

In France, CNSM of Paris and CNSM of Lyon

April 29, 2007 at 06:41 AM · Nicely said, Emmanuel. Wonderful teachers and famous schools don't mean anything unless you are motivated and willing to work hard. I can think of several violinists I know who have wonderful teachers but don't work hard and aren't interested. The result? Bad violin playing.

April 29, 2007 at 07:37 AM · There is no such thing like a more or less permanent top music school. It's the students who make the difference at least as much as the teachers. So every single student can turn an average music school into a top one.

A common misunderstanding: a young person goes to school and the school will teach this person something. Nope, the person learns itself and looks for some help in this. Therefore a good school can be the one which does not disturb you too much in your learning project.

FMF

April 29, 2007 at 08:59 PM · I'm stating the obvious here, but no one else has yet, so I'll do it. Hard to imagine a Top 10 in the World list wouldn't include Juilliard, Curtis and Cleveland Institute of Music.

April 30, 2007 at 03:02 AM ·

April 30, 2007 at 04:15 AM · SO true. The musician basically teaches him or herself with a teacher pointing the way.

July 18, 2007 at 10:44 PM · in the uk, guildhall is as good a school as RAM, and better than RCM, for string playing. Don't know about other disciplines.

July 19, 2007 at 09:17 AM · Guardian educations league tables for Uk as of May 2007 for music schools:

University Guide:Music

As you can see, contrary to expectations, Trinity is on top followed by the Royal Academy. Of course, you may want to look at the criteria they use. Job placements at the end of the degree is one of them.

July 21, 2007 at 07:22 PM · RCM as the teachers are all excellent.

Ram is good for other thigns though such as instrument loan etc

November 27, 2011 at 06:47 PM · i think Juilliard and NYU Tisch are.

November 27, 2011 at 06:59 PM · Simon Smith

When did you study with Fred Grinke? I was also a pupil, a long time ago!

November 27, 2011 at 07:01 PM · very old thread.... just fyi

November 27, 2011 at 07:11 PM · This thread I've realised is nearly as old as me ...

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Los Angeles Philharmonic
Los Angeles Philharmonic