New Pirastro Strings

April 20, 2007 at 02:42 AM · Has anyone tried out the new Pirastro Passione strings yet?

Replies (35)

April 20, 2007 at 10:36 PM · which kind... olive? evah pirazzi? obligato?

April 20, 2007 at 11:24 PM · "Passione", like he said. Apparently they're a new line of gut strings--I'm interested to hear the impressions of whoever's tried them.

April 27, 2007 at 09:39 AM · Here's the link to where you can obtain the 'Passion' strings: http://ymak.de/shop/product_info.php?products_id=7793

May 10, 2007 at 01:30 AM · Just put on a set this afternoon. Even with only a couple of hours playing in I can say RUN do not walk to the nearest violin shop before word gets outs. I put them on a very powerful, dark and sonorous Kriesler Del Jesu copy and as much as I love the tone of Pirastros Eudoxas the new Passione strings have brought out amazingly complex overtones the the Eudoxas just can't match not to mention they stay in pitch much better. They offer complete control at the contact point, very light under hand and have a feel very similiar to Pirastro Obligatos. I'm already impressed and sure they will only get better over the next couple days.

January 30, 2008 at 03:58 AM · I have a decent copy of a Pirot circa 1817 which has a rather bright, sometimes harsh tone. I originally used only Dominant strings. In pursuit of a warmer string I went to Eudoxa with an Olive gold E. Although the sound was warm the response was a little sluggish and the strings needed constant tuning. For a brief time I tried pure gut D and A but that was not satisfactory for me. I have now been using Passione for about 6 weeks along with an Infield Gold plated E. The response and stability is better then Eudoxa. They are just about as warm and I think the projection is better.

January 30, 2008 at 06:50 AM · I've tried Passione strings, but my favorite string is Eudoxa. The Eudoxa G is especially beautiful. I've never tried a wound string that equals it in quality (for my individual taste and on my violin). I use a Eudoxa G, Gamut Academie uncovered gut D & A, and Wondertone E.

January 30, 2008 at 07:20 AM · Wishing they came out with the passione strings for viola :(

January 31, 2008 at 08:42 PM · The best price I've seen for the Passione strings is on ebay ($71 plus $2.50 s/h in the US). That's much cheaper than the link sent by someone else.

February 6, 2008 at 07:39 AM · I use Passione - they're good !!!

migrated from Obligato this Xmas

http://www.wps.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/violin_strings.htm

Roland

February 12, 2008 at 08:45 PM · Would you put this Pirastro Passion strings which could cost around $80.00 to a $ 500 violin? Will the violin sound better?

February 14, 2008 at 03:19 AM · I put Passione strings on a $350 ebay violin. Now I can't get it away from my granddaughter. I wouldn't sell the fiddle for ten times what I paid, and the strings make it sing.

I am taking offers on the granddaughter.

February 14, 2008 at 03:47 AM · marinating and then roasting on a spit may be a viable alternative.

February 14, 2008 at 06:26 PM · Has anybody compared them to Oliv?

February 14, 2008 at 06:31 PM · yes, I have compared them to Oliv. They are far better in every way.

February 14, 2008 at 06:50 PM · How do Oliv and Passione string compare to Eudoxa? What of the tension? Seeing how my violin was set up with Evah's, and seeing how I prefer gut, I am looking for a higher-tension gut string that will work better with the setup of my violin. I do use a Eudoxa A as a higher-tension Evah A chokes on the violin, but for the G and D the Evah's do better than the Eudoxa stiff G and D I tried earlier. I am also using a Hill E, by the way.

July 21, 2008 at 06:11 PM · Chris: Among gut strings there are Oliv strings being comparable with the relatively high tension of the Evah Pirazzi set,

Eudoxa sets have a noticeably lower tension and Passione set tension is to be seen between both these set tensions (and lower than obligatos).

July 21, 2008 at 06:21 PM · Nancy, doesn't that depend on the gauge chosen of each, though?

July 21, 2008 at 06:37 PM · Hi Ray, I tried these strings and put them on in April. I played symphony concerts, quartets and solos, besides practice,and I LOVE them. I have a really nice French violin from 1864, and these strings really enhance my instrument. They seemed to last a pretty long time, considering all the playing I did. I just put on a new set. I used to use Obligatos, and I really like them too, but I like these better. Try them, you might like them. Happy playing, Molly

July 21, 2008 at 07:53 PM ·

July 21, 2008 at 08:52 PM · Andrew: taking the middle gauge of which as parameter

July 21, 2008 at 09:14 PM · Sora,

I've gone through 3 or 4 sets of Passiones. I have yet to have a string unwind, like all gut strings they need very little finger pressure, and like all woundgut strings no fingernail.

As far as the color--it depends on the fiddle, as well as your taste.

July 21, 2008 at 11:04 PM · Mine are doing just fine. Ditched the E for the Jargar Forte and now everything sounds great.

July 22, 2008 at 02:29 AM · I'm on my 3rd set of Passiones and have never had a string unwind. I'm now using the heavy gauge and a Jargar forte E and liking the result on my instrument.

July 23, 2008 at 04:21 AM · I have yet to try a full set of Passione however, I just put on a Heavy Gauge Passione E string and it's the most amazing E I've ever tried. Great power but without sacrificing tone quality or response. I highly recommend them.

Emmanuel

August 4, 2008 at 04:45 PM · Hey Everyone, sorry to bring up a new thread but I figured it's better than making an altogether new one.

A week ago I felt that I needed more color and variation in my sound than my long time favorite Vision Titanium Solo were giving me. So I decided to finally try the Passione A, D, and G in Medium Gauge along with a Heavy Gauge Passione E.

I was a little skeptical at first and didn't know what to expect especially considering that my experience with plain gut wasn't the greatest (though I may try again and give it more than a week)

Initially, yes the strings did take much longer to finish stretching than VTS or other synthetics. However, after a week they are perfectly stable and not causing excessive tuning problems.

On to the sound. They have the most amazing, rich, overtone filled sound I have ever experienced on my violin. They are FAR FAR easier to play on than ANY synthetic that I can remember in recent memory. (Dominant, VTS, Pirazzi)

Going into high positions is the most wonderful feeling when the sound quality remains so consistent and all my wolf notes are reduced to almost nothing. In comparison, all synthetics I've used seem to choke as I play higher and higher. Especially on the A, D, and G.

They work for any style of music I've tried. I haven't tried playing something like Sibelius with orchestra but I have no doubt that they would still have enough power to cut through.

When playing chamber music, or Mozart, Beethoven, and Bach...or anything that needs the most divine sound possible...that's when they really shine. Also they really help facilitate my playing in Bach due to their eagerness to cooperate in all of the double, triple and quadruple stops. You can play the chords without having to work to get them to actually sound without crunching. It's difficult to explain but someone else that uses these strings might be able to explain it better than me.

Final verdict is; if you've never tried these strings and desire a more personal cooperative sounding violin you really should give these a try. They aren't that much more than high-end synthetics ($76 at IUStrings)

For the record, my violin is Gustave Bernardel which I used to think was the most difficult thing to play on in the world. Now I find it more than manageable and a joy to play on.

-Emmanuel

IUStrings.com

September 22, 2008 at 06:51 AM · These Passione set are really wonderful , both for modern violinists on their modern set up and ALSO for for baroque violinists !!

I play an 18 century German violin in its ORIGINAL condition ! and these set of Passione altogether or even with E-plain gut , my violin sounds great !!

I have also a plain copy of a strad , it sounds much better when I play with passione ...

But the only disadvantage is that I don,t understand why would the metal E of this set have such awful sounds of a 3$ E !!!

I have had Eudoxa , Evah Pirazi , Tonica ! etc...

But this one is much better than others .

February 14, 2009 at 06:33 AM ·

I just got a set of the Passiones and I love them, though they don't stay in tune (so far) nearly as well as my Evah Pirazzis, but of course they are gut, not synthetic.  What's really great is that I got them for free - yes I said free.  I just went to the Pirastro web site and emailed them, saying that a colleague of mine uses their new strings and likes them, and asked if they could they send me a set for evaluation.  Less than two weeks later I got a full set of 4 strings in the mail, plus a request for feedback.  I went away from my Evahs because I have a new kind of violin chinrest now that lets my violin vibrate with a lot bigger and fuller sound (I can give you more information about that if you'd like), and the Evahs are just too bright for my fiddle now.  The Passiones seem just right.  Nice rich tone, full sound, no harshness, etc.

Gary

February 17, 2009 at 11:25 PM ·

The Passiones worked on my old violin but not my new one. They lacked power and clarity on my new one.  Now I use plain gut strings made by David Larson.

Gary, I'm interested in your chin rest situation, which type did you use? I didn't know that that type of chin rest could influence volume.

February 18, 2009 at 01:07 AM ·

I put them on a week ago today.  They are my first try at gut strings. They may be my last.  They are still not tonically stable.  The sound is more complex and warmer than my former strings.  It is not sufficiently wonderful to make me put up with the constant tuning.  Although, I am not sure that the tone has stablized yet, either.

Elaine

February 18, 2009 at 01:33 AM ·

Greetings,

when you put them n did you apply pressure underneath the string with two fingers on either side of he bridge while turning the peg gently. This normalizes the tension on either side so that later on you wont get a sudden release of pent up stress from the tailpiece side of the bridge which may throw the string ut of tune.

Cheers,Buri

February 18, 2009 at 03:24 AM ·

Buri,

I thoguh you used prunes to release pent up tension...

Cheers,

Cris

February 18, 2009 at 11:15 AM ·

Cris- The release that Buri is refering too is more like that which can only come from a coffee enema....... or not...holding the bridge like what he said..:^)

Cheers,

Royce

March 2, 2009 at 11:25 PM ·

After reading all the good things about Passiones, I decided to give them a try.  I know that some strings work on some instruments and not on others.  Well the Passiones did NOT work on my instrument.  They actually sounded somewhat metalic, and the response was much worse than Dominants.  Also the A string was awful; it whistles like a bad E string.  In general, they were very scratchy, and they made my instrument much harder to play.  The Passiones lasted 3 days and I couldn't stand it anymore; put the Dominants back on and I'm a much happier camper. 

March 3, 2009 at 05:24 AM ·

Mr Hsu:

If the Passione are of no use to you, may I request you mail them to me?   Thanks.

March 4, 2009 at 04:48 AM ·

>> Mr Hsu: If the Passione are of no use to you, may I request you mail them to me? Thanks. <<

I paid over $70 for them, and they were on my instrument for 3 days.  I'll be happy to swap for a new set of Dominants.  Feel free to email me directly if interested. 

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Los Angeles Philharmonic
Los Angeles Philharmonic