Passione strings

April 16, 2007 at 04:24 AM · Has anyone tried the new Pirastro Passione strings yet? I emailed them last week to see if they were available yet, but have not received a reply.

Replies (100)

June 10, 2007 at 11:00 AM · I have tried these now and I am very happy with them. I tried a set of medium/heavy and my impression is that they are most similar to olives or maybe the olive "rigid" as they seem quite high tension. The windings are also nicer under the fingers as the olive D was always a bit annoying for shifting with the kind of winding finish it has. Overall, a big warm sound on my violin and very happy. Expensive though. A couple of other points; Pirastro say these strings have the gut qualities but with less playing in time and I didnt find this to be the case. They sound fantastic now but they took a few days to get there just like olives if not even longer. And one bizzare thing; the G string is too long! (and no, I dont have any kind of non-standard size violin and I have been using pirastro products for years). With the string at full pitch after stretching and playing in, the coloured loop on the scroll end is actually on the nut of the fingerboard! Never seen anything like that so I'll have a word with Pirastro about it. I assume that is just a one-off though and I think anyone who likes gut based strings will enjoy these.

June 10, 2007 at 11:20 AM · I also tried the Passione strings now. Over all I liked them. The get pitch stabile far quicker than Olives and have a more bright powerful open sound. They even managed to make an A string that works (I could never use the Olive A). The D string is good as well.

I had exactly the same problem with the G. Half the cloth winding was sitting on the nut giving a fuzzy sound. I had to cut it with a knife. (Not good as you risk damaging the silver winging) How hard could it be to check that before you market a new string?

Overall I think they are a much better alternative to Olives.

June 19, 2007 at 09:27 PM · Not sure why the other post about Passiones got archived. A few others tried them a month or so ago, and I'd like to find out how long-lasting these strings are. Anyone?

June 19, 2007 at 09:49 PM · Nice strings, same problem with the G length.

June 19, 2007 at 11:46 PM · The winding on the G was a bit long on my Kreisler but after a few days it did eventually stretch enough so that the winding is was about 4mm away from the nut. I had them on for about two weeks before I got a 1704 Betts clone and swapped them over for another week. I then had the fittings changed from ebony to pernambuco still using the same set of strings.

I practice five to eight hours a day seven days a week with all the up and down tensioning and wear and tear I finally replaced them this weekend [So it was a total of about six weeks] Put on another set I just love them so.

Took another couple days for the G winding to stretch away from the nut. I was worried that the fiber the winding is made out of might wipe clean the graphite I put in the grove so before I fully tensioned the string I lifted it up and rubbed a pencil lead on the bottom side of the the winding just to be safe. Will have to see how long they last on just one instrument this time.

June 20, 2007 at 05:20 AM · Put them on today. Same problem with the G winding.

First thoughts:

Pro: 1) Very nice rich, warm tone. 2) Capable of a wide range of dynamics.

Con: 1) Slower bow response than my usual Vision Titanium Solos. 2) The Passione E does not "sing" on my violin, although I like the warm sound. 3)These strings require more attention to the bow contact point. 4)Shifting not as smooth. (Must be the winding.) 5) Not as responsive to small changes in vibrato as Vision Titanium. Sorry if some of these things have already been said.

I'm really hoping that a day or two will make a difference but right now it's a choice between tone and playability.

June 20, 2007 at 12:18 PM · I've had them on for about 3 weeks now and think they are great strings. A bit like olives but with none of the weaknesses. I was intrigued about the long G string business so I emailed pirastro. They replied and said this was intentional and they said the string would stretch after a few days and would stabilise with the winding clear of the nut which did in fact happen so thats fine. But they also said that this long G string was to solve the problem of the G string snapping in the peg box!? Iv been using pirastro products for 25 years and have never even heard of that particular problem. Maybe just been lucky!

June 20, 2007 at 07:01 PM · I'm very interested in trying these strings... got any more info on them? What do they sounds like etc, do they fluctuate badly like olivs? (I use olivs at the moment).

----------

ahh http://www.violinist.com/discussion/response.cfm?ID=10965

Cheers, John

June 20, 2007 at 09:08 PM · Day Two. Getting used to them and like them more today then yesterday. The G is particularly nice on my fiddle. Juicy.

June 22, 2007 at 12:33 AM · Day Three: Liking them more and more. The G & D are great. It will take more getting used to the response because these two lower strings, the D in particular, have so much natural volume. The A and E are now responding more to bow pressure and starting to sing. I'm used to strings settling in quickly not having used gut core strings for years. Even though I knew it would take some time for the Passiones to break in I am still surprised that I like them better on day three.

Perhaps after a week these will be my new choice for strings.

I don't want to try moving the bridge (or sound post) to improve the A and E because my set up is perfect for a Vision Titanium GDA and an Obligato E . Also, because there are so many possible combinations, I would rather not start experimenting with different gauges in the Passiones.

June 22, 2007 at 02:47 AM · Thank you for the report. Do these stringsrequire a lot of tension when tuning them or are they "softer" on the pegs like the Obligatos when tuning them up?

June 28, 2007 at 01:27 AM · Day seven: Strings have settled in and sound quite nice. No problems with the A now and I am getting to like the E more. I did put an Obligato 26 E on today but put the Passione 26 E back on because it is a better match tonally. The G seems to have lost a little of it's wonderful juicy quality and I sometimes get a false note on the D. (That's probably because gut strings are a little more touchy in general.) All in all, I like the sound of my violin with the Passiones and so does my accompanist. Better still, my wife likes the sound. So, I'll probably keep the Passiones on for my next recital and see what happens.

June 28, 2007 at 03:32 AM · Thanks for the update, keep us informed on how they age.

My violin is having surgery and I may try these when it's released from intensive care.

Thanks,

Ray

September 5, 2007 at 02:43 AM · Can anyone tell me how long these strings lasted for you? I'm new to gut strings--are they usually more long lasting than synthetics or no?

Thanks!

September 5, 2007 at 03:39 AM · My gut strings last roughly a month. I practice about 3-5 hours a day. When I used synthetics I changed them after a month as well. I know a violinist who used to play in the NY Phil. He changed his (Dominant) strings every two weeks.

September 5, 2007 at 08:38 AM · I've had a set on one fiddle for about 2 months now. They sound exactly like they did after 1 week. (I'm sure, as I record constantly.)

-Caveat- this is my #2 fiddle, which only gets played about 1 hr every other day. Still, very impressive.

I'm not a huge fan of ANY wound gut D & A, preferring pure gut, but the Passiones have a lovely singing quality. A bit thin, but very expressive. I think that as long as your violin is not exceptionally bright, you will like them very much.

Love them? well, I've never quite understood love, so what can I tell you? Lust after them? Yes, probably.

September 5, 2007 at 03:20 PM ·

September 5, 2007 at 05:24 PM · Allan, this is way off topic, but weren't you asking about strings that settle in quickly a long time ago? I've just put Vision Solo (not Titanium)on my D and G and was amazed at how little I had to adjust them - the contrast to the Infeld A I put on at the same time was huge.

September 10, 2007 at 07:25 PM · I've had a set of heavy gauge Passiones on now for a month, and they still sound great. I was hooked on plain gut A and D strings until I tried the Passiones. On my violin, they have more richness than the plain gut strings did, while still having all the clarity of the plain gut strings, something I had not found in any other string until I tried Passiones. In recordings, the plain gut strings made the instrument sound thinner than I wanted. The Passiones have provided more depth of sound, complete clarity, a beautiful singing tone, lots of projection (more than the plain gut), and a soft feel under the fingers (unlike most synthetics). I couldn't possibly be happier with them.

September 11, 2007 at 03:14 AM · Michael,

Where did you find heavy gauge Passiones? As of a month ago, they were basically unavailable. Please give me an url!

September 11, 2007 at 03:15 AM · I just put a set of Passiones on my new violin: still love them! My violin sounds and feels like it's just been released from prison (one with synthetic-core bars on the windows, that is.)

September 11, 2007 at 10:40 PM · I have tried the heavey gauge Passione also.They are excellence.I think the Passione G might be the best wounded gut G in existing,its out performing the gold label,Eudoxa,Eudoxa brillant,Olive and Olive rigid(which was my preference on wounded gut G)

Even the passione are easier response to the bow as with most wounded gut and synthetic.I think the unique sound of plain gut still have its place,they are special.

The heavey gauge of passione have more power and richer,fuller body than the medium gauge.But I find it slightly slower response than the medium,and the medium sound more elegant and balance to my ears. Which one is better?its a matter of taste.

September 12, 2007 at 04:03 AM · Michael or Ray,

PLEASE tell me where you found heavy gauge Passiones. I searched again today, and simply can't find anything but medium sets.

September 27, 2007 at 05:44 PM · I got them at Johnson String Instruments.

www.johnsonstring.com/cgi-bin/stringsearch/stringsearch.cgi?inst=VN&brand=PAS

You can choose 14 gauge for the A and D, and 17 gauge for the G. Select "thick" for the E string.

October 7, 2007 at 01:22 PM · I've had Passione strings on my 2006 violin since they were first marketed by Southwest Strings. I'm an amateur, so I don't practice 3-5 hours a day, and I'm principally a violist, so there you have it.

To say that I love these strings is an understatement.

In a fit of passion and extreme supplication that Pirastro come out with viola ones, I wrote them this:

"Congratulations on a superb gut violin string! They do stay in tune pretty well for gut, and played in very quickly. I have had them on for 2-3 months now. I LOVE their sound. The overtones are beautiful and rich. These strings are just gorgeous. They blow every synthetic (yes, even Pirastro's, as fine as many of them are!) out of the water. These are my strings of choice for my violin, a beautiful 2006 violin that has a big, cathedral-filling sound and soaring high notes. Passione strings just make it sound even better! I hope these strings, or a similar approach in gut, will be applied to viola (especially viola, my other instrument!) and cello strings. A string quartet, much less a whole orchestra playing these strings would just shine!"

They liked that so much, they posted it on their website! =8). I still stand behind it, and I'm still pleading for a viola version!

To add: they are very responsive, definitely more so compared to Eudoxas and Olivs. I find string pitch stability to be over-rated and a marketing ploy (steel strings are very stable, but shoot me if someone puts Red Labels on any of my instruments . . . ). But, once played it (not long), they are very stable and will get you through to intermission without any mishaps.

I use a different E, though. Larsen's Tzigane. I love that E. It's a different sound, but it has gotten under my skin . . .

October 7, 2007 at 03:36 PM · Thanks for the update. I haven't tried them yet.

October 11, 2007 at 04:34 PM · I caved and sprang over $80.00 for a set of medium gauge Passiones. This is the first day, and they are still stretching a lot, but not as much as Olives or Eudoxas. The E is pretty, but a little loud so far for my taste. My fiddle sounds best with the Wondertone Gold Label E, so I might end up using that instead. The A is clear, but did not tolerate excess rosin. It has been persnickety all morning! I wiped off some of the rosin on my bow, and now it is much less cranky. The D string is a winner! To paraphrase: "There is more 'There' there". I like the G, and have the same issues as posters above with the too-long winding. So far there is an excellent balance across all four strings. They also have a lovely soft feel to the fingertips. The overtones have been really nice. No weak spots so far. They sound really good.

My violin really sounds best with Olives or Eudoxas, but I am not willing to tolerate the hassles that come with these strings. My bow arm technique also works best with wound gut, and that is probably because I learned on Gold Labels. I have been using Larsen Tziganes, but I like Passione better so far. The Tziganes sounded a little "woofy", especially in the mid-range.

October 12, 2007 at 09:18 PM · I put a set of Eudoxa strings on a couple of months ago and they totally rock! For now I am going to stick with Eudoxas, but when I bought these it was a toss-up between Eudoxa strings and Passione strings.

It did take a week or so for the Eudoxa strings to settle, but since then they've been incredibly stable, despite some rather dramatic changes in climate. Yes, I do have to tune them at the start of the day, and sometimes once or twice during the day, but they are never off too far and for me this is no hassle having played classical guitar for a while (nylon strings on a classical guitar require a lot more TLC than my Eudoxa set, for sure).

Anyway, my reason for switching to Passione strings, were I to do so, would have to be arise purely out of the desire for greater sonic quality or character. However, for now I remain in a trance with this most lovely set of Eudoxa strings!

October 12, 2007 at 09:57 PM · Chris,

How would you describe the difference, tonally & response-wise, between the Eudoxas and the Passiones? I never had a chance to directly compare them.

October 13, 2007 at 02:17 AM · Allan, unfortunately neither have I as I use Eudoxa exclusively! However, my guess is that the violin, bow and performer would figure pretty heavily in the equation (most of all the violin, I would think).

A word on responsivness and gut...gut is WAY more responsive than any synthetic string I have tried. In fact, my stacatto playing rose to another level when I went to gut, it's that responsive!

October 13, 2007 at 03:59 AM · I found Eudoxas to be a little sluggish. Passiones are still working great.

October 13, 2007 at 09:15 PM · Day Three: The G and D are super duper nice. The D is exceptionally good. The A is sounding a bit weaker, and more "metallic". The E is loud, but has not been whistling or squeaking. I like the E, but I think it is a little too much. The G-D-A are still stretching, but not as much as Olives or Eudoxas, and the winding issue on the G is now moot. These strings have stretched a lot!

I had a lesson today, and had my teacher play my violin for me, and my suspicions were correct. He suggested a sound-post tweak, but I am going to wait until the break-in period is over before I do that. I might slap on a Wondertone Gold Label E first...

October 14, 2007 at 01:05 AM · Anne, I've had the same impression about the A string. Maybe I should try an Oliv A at some point? The Passione A isn't bad, it's just not as fantastically ideal as the others.

October 14, 2007 at 01:45 AM · Mara Olivs are superb strings in my opinion. Great pitch stability too.

October 14, 2007 at 11:21 PM · hi, i've been using passione since it came out but for me, mixing it with other strings really made me vouch for these strings.

i use passiones d&g and alternate bet. tzigane,

pirazzi, and vision solo a string, and goldbrokat or kaplan thick e string.

when i used these strings on the top, the lower strings really came out thick and rich.

ive spent now over around $2,000 just looking for the right strings for my violin and finally found the right match.

October 15, 2007 at 11:07 PM · I would be especially interested in hearing responses from Vision Titanium users since those are the strings I buy. Do you like the Passiones more?

Do the Passiones give more overtones to coax out of the violin, yet still as responsive to bowing as the Titaniums?

I realize that one must experiment, but the new Passione strings are an expensive switch, not to mention the possibility of a tonal adjustment.

For those who have been using the Passione strings for several months now, what is your response to the strings over a several months?

Thank you.

Regular gut strings are not an option because of their unpredictability, but these new Passione strings sound like an interesting compromise.

October 15, 2007 at 11:07 PM · I changed over to Passiones the first time I tried them. I had been using Eudoxas before. I left a set on for over two months practicing 4-5 hours a day. I wanted to see how they performed over time and they cost so much I really wanted to wear them out before I ponied up the bucks for a new set.

I would say they did not loose any real playabitily and the smoother the windings got the easier it was shifting into higher postions. There was some loss of tonal complexity and quality yet they are so excellent to start with they were still quite good. Also found that the response was just a little slower but not by much. What was a nice suprise is that they maintained that wonderful soft feel through out the whole time.

October 16, 2007 at 06:25 PM · Hi, I use Vision solo not titanium.

titanium tends to be(at least for me)

raw and unattractive. vision or vision solo

a string matches perfectly with d and g Passione.

it isn't quite an expensive change since it lasts for a good amount of time( i used my d and g for around 2months)

it has so many colors than the one dimensional titanium and projects even better imo.

October 21, 2007 at 04:04 AM · Anne,

I used wondertone gold lable E for years, thinking it was the most balanced through all my comparing. But I just started trying the "new generation", Wondertone Solo. They have the same balance of bright and sweet, and are a bit more brilliant without being "too much". A more complex and singing tone, really ringing and projecting in the hall.

October 21, 2007 at 12:57 PM · Barton, I tried the Wondertone Solo E when a free one came with The Strad awhile back. I liked it, but the regular Wondertone Gold Label E works better on my violin. The Solo E got a bigger, fuller sound, but it whistled. Alas.

Also, I had Vision Titaniums on for awhile, but I like the Passiones better. The Titaniums are great for ease of playing (left hand), they never go out of tune, and they project out like nobody's business, but they lacked in character. The Passiones get a lot more interesting sounds on my violin. The Titaniums were really hard on my bow arm: it took a lot of work to coax some color out. I heard from my re-hair guy that the Vision Solos have more interesting tonal character, but I haven't tried them yet.

Update on the Passiones: They have been on a week and a half. They still stretch. But that is OK. I have rosined ONCE since putting them on. And I play a lot...I have been using Tartini rosin (huge stash!), so maybe there is a rosin that works better with Passiones. What rosin is everybody using with their Passiones? Also, the A sounds better than it was first installed, but I might try an Obligato A with the next set. I am interested to see how long these strings last...

October 21, 2007 at 09:57 PM · From my experience as well as many others, obligatos dull out REALLY quickly, which is most peoples' reason for discontinuing use of them.

Pirazzi got a lot of people excited because they last longer, but for me, they are less smooth and a bit of extra noise makes it hard in tender moments.

I love Olive D and G, but how would you compare passione to them? Anybody? (please fill me in on quality alone. I already know about the whole stretching comparison)

Also, how are Eudixa Brillant D and G compared to Olives? They're so much more affordable!!!

October 26, 2007 at 03:30 AM · Does anybody here use eudoxa brillant?

If so, what do you think?

October 26, 2007 at 06:53 AM · I've had Passiones on since the end of July. I practice/play...a whole bunch every day. About the last half of September/beginning of October the strings really started to dull out. Before that, though...wonderful warm rich complex tone, especially on G and D. I use a Wondertone Gold Label E like many people here and haven't tried the Passione E yet. Before the Passiones, I was using Pirazzis for a long time.

Pitch stability: The first couple days really sucked. After that, they were just as stable as the Pirazzis.

Projection: Great projection. Maybe not quite as brilliant as Pirazzis (what is?) but they do just as good a job getting the sound to the back of a hall (I did some blind tests vs. Pirazzis with colleagues, neither string seemed to be weaker at the back of a hall).

Response: Very quick. In my experience, though, you have to be much more careful about the manner of your attack...you can do a lot more with these strings but you can also mess up in a lot more ways.

Colour: The whole spectrum.

December 10, 2007 at 08:20 PM · -sorry-my 'shift' key on my keyboard abruptly died this morning

anyway- what happened to the passione strings -question mark-

shar doesn't list them anymore and southwest strings says out of stock for the last month or more.

i really like the e and would like to try it again.

also, what about the different thicknesses for these strings. are they available yet.

what in the world is going on with these strings...

December 10, 2007 at 08:55 PM · You can still get them from Johnson Strings and they offer different thicknesses.

http://www.johnsonstrings.com/stringsearch/stringsearch.htm

Word must have got out on this web site...

December 10, 2007 at 09:05 PM · thank you...-insert happy face here-

December 10, 2007 at 09:08 PM · My Passiones finally went false last week. Not bad...I squeezed almost 3 months out of them! (They won't get changed until the X-Mas gigs are over though). I am going to try the next set with a Wondertone Gold Label E, my old stand-by.

What rosin works with these strings? I have been using my (stockpiled) Tartini, but it is too zippy and crunchy. Would Hill Light be better? Or Olive? Any suggestions? I thought I would try a bunch out...Thanks.

December 10, 2007 at 10:59 PM · yes Hill light is the one to go for. The Tartini is too hard for gut strings

December 11, 2007 at 12:35 AM · I've been using these strings for about 3 months now. Their stability is really good, I'm very pleased with that, considering the reputation that gut has. It's a nice tone, but I think I'm going to move back to Evah's, they suit my violin better.

I've been using the Evah/Oliv rosin - haven't had any complaints.

December 11, 2007 at 04:14 AM · For the rosin,I"ll vote on JFR and AB rosin.They produce very nice tone.Salchow are really good too.

December 11, 2007 at 05:27 AM · salchow is great.

December 15, 2007 at 02:10 AM · I have a set of these with less than 1 hour playing time on them (just the G,D, adn A, med. weight)..basically they are still stretching...

I really may not have given them a full chance, but really did not like them and put my Dominants back on...

if someone wants them, I will trade for a Dominant string or 2

December 15, 2007 at 02:34 AM · Too bad there isn't a viola equal to these the Passiones cuz I would deffinately buy a set. I think Pirastro should make the Passiones for viola or some up with a viola equal.

~~Blake~~

December 15, 2007 at 03:03 AM · I'm in for the passiones - look for a PM.

December 17, 2007 at 04:14 AM · I've had my third set of Passiones on for about five weeks and my passion for them is diminishing. Evah's, for my violin, require too much bow pressure and Vision Titaniums seem to be lacking in color. Maybe I'll go back to Tziganes or Dominants. I haven't tried Vision Solos. Do they really have a more multi dimensional sound than Titaniums?

December 17, 2007 at 03:04 PM · I receieved a reply from Thomastic explaining the difference between Vision Solo and Vision Titanium Solo. It was kind of long, so I hesitate to post it, but they did send the following graphical explanation:

http://tinyurl.com/ytfskg

I can vouch for the increased focus, as they really helped with an unfocused G string problem I was having.

December 17, 2007 at 06:05 PM · I switched back to Tziganes. For me they are clearer than Passiones, more transparent. They are richer for me than Dominants, although Dominants are very good. They are much softer and easier for me to play than Evah's and give a very full sound without harshness.

The E is exceptional. So, for now I am sticking with Tziganes.

December 17, 2007 at 07:26 PM · Thank you.

December 18, 2007 at 02:34 AM · Thanks for the rosin suggestions. I thought I would try Hill Light, Olive, and Bernadel Light. That should be enough to start!

December 18, 2007 at 03:27 AM · Greetings,

don`t forget Budweiser,

Cheers,

buri

December 18, 2007 at 08:58 AM · Because my fairly new Passiones have been less responsive than I like, sounding a little heavy and muddy, I wiped off as much Salchow rosin off my bow as I could today and applied some Andrea Paginini rosin. The difference was remarkable. With the Paginini my left hand could be more expressive. I used longer bow strokes and my violin sang. It seemed like I was playing with a lighter bow. My Bach came back to life! On the down side I had to work harder to get a big sound and I had to work harder to play clean spiccato string crossings. So, I applied one swipe of Salchow on top of the Paginini and the result was quite good. I've heard, however, that it's not a good idea to mix rosins. I just got my bow rehaired and don't want to mess it up.

Last year I had over a dozen brands of rosin in my studio but have given away or sold most of them. Besides the Salchow and Paginini I kept the Olive, Tartini, Jade, Sartory, and Guillaume. But I don't think any of these will be the answer.

I'm happier today with the Passiones but ordered a set of Tziganes. They seem to have a wider ranger of color on my instrument. I have had trouble with the Tziganes in that the G and D seemed to require a lot more bow pressure after two weeks. But that was before I tried a lot of different rosins. I'm hoping the right rosin will solve the G-D problem.

Sorry this is so long. To get to the point - I would really appreciate comments on mixing rosin. And one more thing - has anyone tried Liebenzeller Gold II rosin with Passiones or Tziganes?

December 18, 2007 at 02:20 PM · Buri, Budweiser is utterly forgettable.

Gary, I had Tziganes on before Passiones, and I had the same issues with the lower strings. My re-hair guy noticed the same on his fiddles, so he did a combo of Tzigane E-A-D, with Vision Titanium G. He claimed it evened out the sound. Worth a try?

December 21, 2007 at 08:01 PM · Anne Horvath question on rosin:

More expensive but far better than anything I used before. I like it a lot.

December 21, 2007 at 08:03 PM · Sorry: the brand is: BERNARDEL

January 5, 2008 at 07:53 PM · I put on a new set of Passiones, but this time with my favorite E string, the Wondertone Gold Label E. I like it much better than the Passione E, which was a little loud on my violin. So far, it seems to balance the A a little better too.

I also (finally) got a hold of some new rosins: Bernardel, and Hill Light. I think the Bernardel is going to work out quite nicely. I didn't need to use a lot, and it doesn't have that horrible, harsh edge that the Tartini had with the Passiones.

A pity about the Tartini rosin too...I stocked up with 6 cakes when it was announced that it was being discontinued...and Tartini is so fabulous for synthetics. I used it for Tzigane, Obligato, and Vision Titanium strings with great success. Oh well.

January 7, 2008 at 06:47 AM · Hi Anne,

The Tartini is now available again (which you can find by searching on Google.) Out of curiosity, I would like to buy two cakes of Tartini rosin from you for the going market price. I would send payment first so you have no risk. Email me at tcarlsenhome@yahoo.com if interested in trading.

January 7, 2008 at 01:13 PM · Sorry Todd, not for sale...Out of the six cakes I got, I burned through one, started to burn through a second, dropped another (oops), and gave one to a friend. I want to keep what I have left! After all, I still haven't tried the Vision Solo strings yet...

Also, from what I have heard, the Andrea Bang rosins have the same recipes as the Tartini rosins. (Is this true?)

January 7, 2008 at 03:15 PM · Rosin lasts so long that in order to sell more of it one might consider reformulating it from time to time and creating some new market hype for it.

Tartini was made by Andreas Bang. I suspect that the new rosins are all essentially the same as Tartini.

January 8, 2008 at 09:17 AM · Actually, Corwin, he really did change the formula. (Not to argue against the crassness and hype of most marketing, just not in this case. ) I have both. I must say, on synthetics I actually prefer the old formula. It has a little more bite, or something. Neither work well on pure gut, though.

(BTW: there's also a sort of "Fake" tartini being sold that has nothing to do with Andreas, but I have no need to try it)

January 8, 2008 at 09:31 AM · Michael,

A belated thanks for the tip on Johnson Strings. Got me a set of heavier guage, and I liked them a LOT more than the mediums.

Also, they seemed to last a little longer as well. Of course "last" is a nebulous term. for me, as soon as they settle-in, I need that sound to remain. Once a little bit of harmonics go away, I must change them. So, when I say the heavier gauge Passiones lasted longer, I mean in a very significant way.

I'm still a pure-gut + steel "E" kida' guy, most of the time, but Passione heavy now resides on my darkest good fiddle.

January 23, 2008 at 12:14 AM · Oh, so YOU'RE then one who snapped up the last heavy E string earlier this month! I got the three lower strings, but had to wait two weeks for a new supply of E strings to come in . . .

Still enjoying the Passiones immensely.

January 23, 2008 at 04:30 AM · I am also still quite happy with these strings. The prices just went up though. Shar has them listed for $96.01 a set. Bleh. Oh well. At least I am not a cellist...

Also, for my violin, the weaker A issue I had was corrected when I substituted the Passione E with my old favorite, the Wondertone Gold Label E. Happiness all around...

January 23, 2008 at 05:04 AM · "Shar has them listed for $96.01"

Guitar strings are about $5 -$8 a set. And they'll play in tune for 6 mos. or more.

January 26, 2008 at 03:48 AM · I just bought some from Shar for about $100. Worth EVERY penny. Wow, like someone else who posted, my violin is like, "Whew! What took you so long? Now I'm finally FREE!"

January 26, 2008 at 06:43 AM · Please report back again after using them for 6 months. We LOVE that kind of information.

January 26, 2008 at 03:35 PM · Guitar strings? Why should I care about guitar strings?

Edit: (Just the sound of one chain yanking. I am grumpy today.)

Speaking of prices, I noticed that the Pirastro and Thomastik brand strings got more expensive this month, and assume that this is due to the weakness of the Dollar against the Euro. But what I remember over the years, whenever the Dollar is weak against the Euro, or the old Deutsche Mark, the string prices get higher. When the Dollar is strong, I have never noticed the string prices getting lower...So factoring in rising manufacturing, transportation, material, and labor costs, maybe these high prices are here to stay? Even if the Dollar gains some traction against the Euro?(Correct me if I am wrong, please).

January 26, 2008 at 08:55 PM · Anne: Gosh I hope not... $100 for a set of strings (that I just can't detach myself from) would be such a travesty...

January 27, 2008 at 12:04 AM · FYI: You can get them at Johnson Strings for $87.72 with free shipping.

January 27, 2008 at 12:10 AM · Well Anne, my apologies for assuming you might have any interests beyond violin strings :)

January 27, 2008 at 12:20 AM · Tone-wise, how do they compare to Evahs?

January 27, 2008 at 03:44 AM · I have a few additional questions, tone-wise how do Passione strings compare to Eudoxas? Also, for that matter, how do Olives compare to Eudoxas? How does the tension vary between these sets (Eudoxas, Olives and Passiones)? I'd love to play around with them all, but the cost is prohibitive. I started with Eudoxas and was suitably impressed and so there I remained, but I am always curious.

Carolyn, not that this is an answer to the specific question you asked, but Evah's are a lot brighter than Eudoxas on my violin. And, if Eudoxas are somewhat similar to Passiones, then perhaps you could draw a similar correlation between Passiones and Evah's.

January 27, 2008 at 07:07 AM · I think the Eudoxa comparison was covered either in this thread, the string-review, or the other Passione thread, FWIW.

January 27, 2008 at 08:34 AM · GUITAR strings? On a VIOLIN?

Well, I guess if tone quality and playability aren't high on your list of priorities...

January 27, 2008 at 12:24 PM · Hi,

Comparing strings... Evahs, Eudoxas, Olivs and Passiones are quite different.

Evahs are synthetic, with the new-core type. They tend to be bright and require quite a bit of bow pressure to respond because of the tension. They project quite a bit, but of course there is a downside in terms of range of tone colours.

Eudoxas differ from Olivs in that they are a little more easy going with a more intimate sound. The Olivs, especially the stiff version feel like a beefed up Euxoda, with a huge range of colours.

If the Passiones on the market are similar to the prototypes that Pirastro sent me to try during their design process, I would say that they are somewhere in between sythetics and gut. You are somewhere in between in all aspects, so for some instruments they may be a good compromise for someone wanting something of both worlds, but neither one also.

In the end, it depends what you want and how you want to play.

Cheers!

January 27, 2008 at 03:04 PM · I've had them on for a few days now, and all they've done is warmed up and gotten rid of that slight metallic edginess (they are wound in various metals) they had in the beginning to completely "naturalize" the sound. They also seem to have gotten LOUDER which is remarkable, because I've always had the OPPOSITE experience with strings. I had the same issue with the G string being too long, but that's almost fixed now. The tension of this strings is barely higher than the titanium orchestral set I had on before, the response is BETTER for me. I now understand what "colors" means when referring to gut strings! Now that I know what I was missing, assuming these strings last a while, I'm never going back to synthetics.

I'll let you all know in about a month how it goes!

January 27, 2008 at 08:57 PM · is the E string any good?

January 27, 2008 at 08:59 PM · The Passione E isn't bad, but I wasn't thrilled with it. I like the Oliv E with Passione A, D, G.

February 2, 2008 at 10:34 PM · I put Passione's on my violin (early 20th century Italian) on Tuesday. While I was tuning them the bridge broke. In to the shop for a new bridge which came back out Thursday. The combined effect of new strings and new bridge is a very loud and bright sound. My wife likes it. It feels deafening to me. I feel like it could injure my hearing. I replaced Eva Pirazzi's and a Tzigane A string.

February 3, 2008 at 06:17 AM · Corwin Slack wrote, “While I was tuning them the bridge broke. In to the shop for a new bridge which came back out Thursday. The combined effect of new strings and new bridge is a very loud and bright sound…”

That seems puzzling to me. Evahs are brilliant, loud strings, and I think it is unlikely that the Passione strings would be noticably louder and brighter.

I think that the new bridge is simply better than the old one, creating better volume. The fact that the old bridge broke suggests that something was wrong with it. By the way, different shaped bridges can create different sound patterns. Thinner bridges can sound brighter than thicker ones.

I think that maybe you now have a better bridge. Be happy.

It is better to have to learn how to play and control a violin that has plenty of power in reserve -- like a fancy sports car -- than it is to play with a violin that has weak projection. With your new, improved violin, you don't need to press as hard, just as you should not put the pedal to the metal very often with a sports car unless you really need that power for something special. Lay off the gas!

February 3, 2008 at 07:00 AM · Hmm. This sounds familiar--is the brightness in the sound also somehow chaotic, with a lot of surface noise and a sort of unrefined metallic harshness? The soundpost could have slipped a bit what with all the messing with the bridge--when my violin gets that sound it usually means the post has come a bit loose and altered its angle. Take it to a good luthier and have them check out the soundpost.

February 3, 2008 at 02:44 PM · On my warm violin, the Passione's sound really good for G,D, & E, but the A made the set a bit muddy. A dominant A sounds wonderful... I might have to try Dominants again. Maybe my 2007 violin went through a growth phase?

February 3, 2008 at 07:37 PM · I recently purchased a set of medium gauge Passiones but haven't tried them yet. With Dominants and a Jargar forte E my violin has a bright, focused sound - if anything, I'm looking to warm it up a bit. To anyone with experience with Passiones, is there a particular E string you would recommend? Has anyone tried the Jargar forte E with Passiones?

April 14, 2008 at 10:56 PM · Pirastro sent me a Passione set to try out and report back. Put the A on and while doing that my Forte E broke so I had to put both E and A strings on. I like to wait a day or two between

putting new strings on to let the violin settle down a bit before the next one goes on. Here's a copy of a note to my teacher about the new A sofar:

"Interesting differences from the Obligatos.

Being gut I have to ease up on bow pressure otherwise it sounds strained. The left hand has to be more relaxed

to not choke the sound also. You HAVE to bow nearer the bridge or the sound is choked. And the bow over the strings seems smoother. I had my wife bow the Obligato D then the Passione A I put on and even she noticed the difference in smoothness. I only put the E and A on so as not to send the violin into a tantrum.

I had to do the E because the Forte broke. At first the A sounded like crap, but as I played on it started to open up. The note that Pirastro sent me said they take about two or three days to stabilize and sound best. In the few hours I have been playing it it seems to be opening up and putting out more overtones. My wife said so far the A makes the violin sound a lot older."

I'll report back here in a week or so how they're doing.

April 15, 2008 at 01:29 AM · I have had Passiones on for a fortnight.

I like them

Good range of colour

Nice thick gritty bite

I seem to play more in tune

They seem to stay in tune

Let's see how long they last.

gc

April 15, 2008 at 01:36 AM · At $95.00 I can't imagine ever trying them out, for that price they should probably play themselves... I would need to take on a second mortgage to string my violin 3-4 times a year...

April 15, 2008 at 02:54 AM · Someone in my orchestra raved about them so I ordered a set, put them on my violin... I didn't like them at all! Before that I had Zyex medium wound and I liked them. I had a little work done on my bridge and tail piece last week and that luthier strongly recommended Obligato strings with a Gold Brokat E. They've just settled in - I think - and I do like them. The fiddle seems louder now. I'm still not 100% sure about the E but I'll wait it out a bit and see. There is a dealer on ebay that sells the Passione for the best price around that I could find. Be sure to compare the price there. Every fiddle seems to like different strings.

April 15, 2008 at 05:38 AM · I've been playing on medium gauge Passiones (G,D,A with Jargar forte E) for 9 weeks now and like them very much. I practice 2-3 hours a day and they still sound quite nice, though they are starting to lose some of their initial zing. They definitely sound better (on my violin, when I play it) and are louder than the Dominants they replaced, enabling more colors and nuances. They are also higher in tension than Dominants, but my fingers don't seem to mind. On the recommendation of an earlier post I purchased a complete set of heavy gauge Passiones (including the E) but won't try them until the medium gauges finally give out.

April 15, 2008 at 06:02 AM · The best price for Passione strings is no longer at the e-bay store, which, by the way, seems to be a good store.

Concord strings has lower shipping costs, which gives them a total price advantage.

I've now put Passione (medium) strings on three violins, and although they seem really nice under the chin, they are better on a dark instrument than on a bright one - at least in my case.

They do have the same disadvantages gut strings have always had; they go sharp when you go to an air-conditioned, dry environment. So people who practice or teach at home and rehearse or perform in treated-air environments are going to want to get to the venue almost 2 hours early.

I like them -- but.

The Passione steel E seems to be a good string sounding string.

Andy

April 15, 2008 at 09:57 PM · Day two of having some of the Passione strings on.

They are developing into a very warm older tone you can chew on. They feel

softer than the hybrids under the fingers. Doublestops, at least those in tune because the D needs constant tuning back up, kind of reach out, grab you and suck you into their world. A slow, wide vibrato with the emphasis, of course, on the going up part is very soulful while a short intense one is exciting.

A day and a half later the A is starting to stabilize, ring more and is still darkening and warming up.

After maybe a half day the D it is starting to get luscious and warm like a Winter fire for two in a cabin in the woods with Robert Frost giving a personal reading of "stopping by the Woods on

a snowy evening."

The G goes on tomorrow.

May 6, 2008 at 09:46 PM · I have tried the Passione strings, and I didn't like them at all. I thought they were muddy and didn't have the tonal clarity that I like. If you have a particularly bright instrument that you would like to tone down a little, they might be a good choice, but mine is mellow and rich sounding already. I went back to the Obligatos, which I love dearly!

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Los Angeles Philharmonic
Los Angeles Philharmonic