Bat Mitzvah Music

April 6, 2007 at 04:28 AM · I've been asked to play at my cousins Bat Mitzvah. Is there anything w/ an especially jewish theme that you could recommend that I play? Otherwize i will probably play some mozart concerto..

Replies (20)

April 6, 2007 at 01:07 PM · I would probably go with finding an arrangement of klezmer melodies - reflect the happy day, plenty of good klezmer around

April 6, 2007 at 03:21 PM · It's easy to get a klezmer band together--you just need a clarinetist, a bass player, and maybe a pianist. (I played in an impromptu klezmer band last summer, it was great.) Then just listen to some recordings, transcribe the tunes, arrange them, and improvise! As for recordings I recommend Itzhak Perlman's "In the Fiddler's House" or anything by the Klezmatics.

April 6, 2007 at 05:48 PM · no its not like a band thing.. my uncle wants me to play something for my cousin at her bat mitzvah, not like he needs music. its just like im supposed to dedicate a piece to her and play it. i was just wondeirng if theres nething that cool and showy that would be jewish themed.. i no theres bruch's kol nidrei for violin, transcribed from cello, but as a jew, i feel that piece is so wrong to be played on a violin, it needs to be baritone..

ne suggestions?

April 6, 2007 at 06:20 PM · There's got to be some appropriate sort of song with some coming of age association. But I wouldn't know, since I'm Druid and American Indian.

April 6, 2007 at 06:25 PM · How about Ernest Bloch from Baal Sham: Three Pictures of Chassidic Life: III. Simchas Torah - Rejoicing

April 6, 2007 at 07:19 PM · that's about as hard as mozart isnt it?

April 6, 2007 at 07:52 PM · Maybe harder. You should be able to find some free klezmer music on line. If not, just go out an buy yourself some klezmer sheet music.

April 6, 2007 at 08:12 PM · Will this have piano accompaniment at least? I've heard some gorgeous nigun-type improvisations on solo violin but they all sounded pretty beastly difficult. Tom's right, there is certainly good stuff online. Good luck! (or is it mazel tov?) :)

April 6, 2007 at 08:43 PM · Combine 2 ethnic themes: "Havanaise Gila"

:)

April 6, 2007 at 10:01 PM · If I may, do avoid playing Kol Nidre at the wedding. True, it's Jewish as Jesus but it's like playing Taps at a nursery school graduation.

Try Raisins and Almonds and its ilk; it won't get you lynched and might help you pass. (Anybody see the Yiddish theatre version of Hunchback of Notre Dame, where Quasimodo yearns for Klezmeralda?)

April 6, 2007 at 10:06 PM · It's a Bat Mitzvah, not a wedding. I have to agree, though, that most of the widely-known Jewish music (at least in mainstream classical music) is a little gloomy for a Bat Mitzvah. :) There are some good upbeat tunes on some of my Klezmatics albums, but they're mostly wedding songs...

April 7, 2007 at 12:20 AM · Well I don't know if your can find music for this but there is a song called Doyna which is an upbeat flashy song.....Extremely Tricky so I don't know how much time you have to prepare this piece or if you can even still get the music for it :S. It is an arrangement of Dov Seltzer and is one of the best-known Klezmer canon. I thinks Perlman made a recording of it on his CD TRADITION.

Hope that helped

April 7, 2007 at 12:36 AM · I think Joseph Achron wrote quite a few pieces, some of which may be appropriate, but I am not familiar with them. The Bloch piece, Simchas Torah, by the way sounds more difficult than it is and is really easier than a Mozart concerto movement, if you have the technical chops. Try this website for a cd by Ingolf Turban of Hebrew melodies and listen to the song samples. Turban, by the way is a fantastic player. http://www.amazon.com/Turban-Nemtsov-Play-Hebrew-Melodies/dp/B00005MLLN/ref=sr_1_1/002-9641893-1096047?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1175906399&sr=1-1

April 7, 2007 at 11:02 PM · George Perlman's "Israeli Concertino" - it's easy to learn but still sounds good, and incorporates many Jewish themes.

April 7, 2007 at 11:43 PM · There are many Jewish compositions for violin which might fit very well on a recital program, but are too solemn for a Bat Mitzvah or other celebratory occasion. I've seen books of Klezmer music which are easy to learn and have a good amount of jolly music in them. I would recommend one of these.

April 8, 2007 at 01:02 AM · The Kammen collection is great - lots of wonderful tunes though you might have to do some arranging....that would be a nice Bat Mitzvah present for your cousin though...her very own setting of a traditional freilach...

April 8, 2007 at 01:02 AM · The Kammen collection is great - lots of wonderful tunes though you might have to do some arranging....that would be a nice Bat Mitzvah present for your cousin though...her very own setting of a traditional freilach...

April 8, 2007 at 01:20 AM · The klezmer band I played in (briefly) last summer was called Freilachs and Bagels. :)

April 8, 2007 at 01:32 AM · hah! that is great!

April 15, 2007 at 02:14 PM · Hello Ian;

I'm curious about the piece you've chosen to play. Have you made a decision?

Will you be playing during or after services?

I'd ditto: George Perlman's "Israeli Concertino." (I think it's about a grade three level piece.)

Mary

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Los Angeles Philharmonic
Los Angeles Philharmonic