Difficulty of Accolay Concerto No. 2 in D Minor?

March 31, 2007 at 06:59 PM · Has anyone heard of Accolay - Violin Concerto No. 2 in D Minor?

I don't know where I get the pdf file, but I have the music, and I'm just wondering if anyone was familiar with the piece.

How would this concerto compare to others (such as Viotti No. 23) in difficulty, technicality, etc.?

Replies (26)

April 1, 2007 at 08:54 PM · I've heard of it, but I've never listened to it. I don't think there are any recordings of it. I'll have to look into that peice. Thank's for the reminder!!

April 1, 2007 at 09:16 PM · It's on Perlman's Concertos of My Childhood cd.

April 1, 2007 at 09:30 PM · You mean the Accolay concerto no. 1 in a minor, written by none other than Henri Vieuxtemps? J.B. Accolay was his penname for student concerti. I don't know the d minor...probably a genius work though :)

April 4, 2007 at 01:33 PM · Andrew : never heard of that story of Henri Vieuxtemps being the real author of Accolay's concerti who was himself a belgian violinist of the romantic period, born in 1833...Please, give your references, because I do not find any mention anywhere of your assertion.

Marc

April 4, 2007 at 02:40 PM · I saw on the internet something to the effect that Accolay was either De Beriot or Vieuxtemps (can't remember which one).

Wasn't sure if this definite or just someone's theory. But it is out there.

Kevin

April 4, 2007 at 03:04 PM · Accolay really existed, he died in 1900 and was an important figure in the Belgian violin school...and he is the real author of the above-mentionned concerti.

Marc

April 4, 2007 at 07:09 PM · Marc, to be honest, I assumed it was common knowledge! I have always heard that Vieuxtemps wanted to write "student" concerti for less advanced students, but worried it would impact his career, change the name to Jules Accolay. I have never seen biographical references for Accolay other than supposed "dates". Ask around? Others may know more than I.

April 5, 2007 at 02:47 PM · J. B Accolay was real...so was Vieuxtemps...the concerto 5 was intended for a student competition...You can easily find a biography of Accolay, by searching in Google .

Marc

April 5, 2007 at 04:04 PM · ok...let's not start debating over whether Accolay is Vieuxtemps or de Beriot or real...what's important (i guess) is that Accolay composed concerti.

April 5, 2007 at 06:41 PM · and it is important to give accurate information and not mislead anyone...

April 5, 2007 at 07:10 PM · Accolay was an actual person.

April 5, 2007 at 07:29 PM · Years ago I made a recording of the Accolay Concerto (#1). At the time I searched far and wide for biographical info about him. Recently I've renewed that search in relation to a new project I'm working on. The only info available seems to be this one sentence from Wikipedia:

"Jean-Baptiste Accolay (b. April 17, 1833 (Brussels, Belgium), d. August 19, 1900 (Brugge, Belgium) was a Walloon violin teacher, violinist, conductor, and composer of the romantic period."

The rest of the article just lists the works written under his name.

As far as I can tell, there is no corroborating evidence of his existence. Such evidence might be a mention of him in the bio or writings of some other musician of the same period.

I have known and wondered about the theory held by many violinists, including Josef Gingold, that Accolay was a pen name used by Vieuxtemps. When I first heard that theory I compared the 4th and 5th concertos of Vieutemps with the Accolay and decided that the compositional styles are too different, and that they could not have been written by the same person. Also, it seems to me that the Accolay was written in a style somewhat earlier than the Vieuxtemps and with a much simpler harmonic language. I think the Accolay, whoever wrote it, reflects a style more like Rode, Kreutzer or DeBeriot.

May 30, 2010 at 07:50 AM ·

I'm not sure what the rode d minor violin concerto has to do with this topic - but I'm very pleased you tagged onto it.  What a fascinating thread!  It has two interesting issues, transmuting into the question of whether Accolay was responsible for his famous concerto(s).

However, it never answers the original issue: did he write a second concerto in D minor?  Perhaps someone now has the answer?

May 30, 2010 at 09:19 AM ·

Yep, I did a quick search at the Petrucci music library and here it is, violin and piano parts complete in one pdf file. 

http://imslp.org/wiki/Violin_Concerto_No.2_in_D_Minor_(Accolay,_Jean-Baptiste)

I've never heard it before but at first glance the theme isn't plagiarized from the openings of any other concerti (that I know of) so I already prefer it over the first concerto.  Huzzah.

May 30, 2010 at 12:59 PM ·

Hey, thanks - I should have done that myself I guess :)

ee

May 30, 2010 at 01:02 PM ·

I just started working on the Accolay.  A friend of my loaned me Roy Sonne's DVD and I shall be getting my own personal copy!  It is helpful.  Like I. Pearlman I have meaty fingers and so I have to make some modifications, tailoring, to accommodate me.  It is a fantastic piece!

May 31, 2010 at 03:49 AM ·

Royce,

Very glad that you're finding my DVD helpful. I'll be happy to compare notes, either here or privately, about anything that you want to explore further. Very best wishes. Roy

May 31, 2010 at 07:04 AM ·

Well, now you've distracted me!  I downloaded both Accolays and the guy realy should get accolades.  The first is very accessible and now I understand why its so popular here - what fun to play!  I have a lesson today and will surprise my teacher with the first two pages I think. 

I wonder what happened to him - the music has so much creativity; he must have been very talented.  There should be symphonies and oratorios....

May 31, 2010 at 01:59 PM ·

@ Roy Sonne- I really like your illustrations and how that should affect the dynamics and presentation of the different portions that make up the piece.  Both technical & aesthetics are presented very well!  I now try to apply what I learned from you in this DVD I try to approach all pieces in a similar manner (baring in mind that each piece is Unique unto itself) by visualizing what picture does a piece I am about to tackle is trying to paint, what does it say to me.  Friends are saying that between your teacher and the suggestions in the DVD that what I play comes more to life. (I owe allot to my teacher John!)

Where to find the music: I believe that the poster was looking for the music of the Accolay.  Schirmer's, I believe, still publishes it.  I checked out oner of their copies from my University Library.... Of course I photo copied my copy since UW copy is very, very well aged.

ps: @ Roy; What is the violin, strings, bow that you are using in the DVD?

May 31, 2010 at 02:51 PM ·

Perhaps you missed the link above?  Michael Pijoan provided one direct to the sheet music online - plus piano reduction.  Copied here again:

http://imslp.org/wiki/Violin_Concerto_No.2_in_D_Minor_(Accolay,_Jean-Baptiste)

ee

May 31, 2010 at 11:22 PM ·

No I did not miss it.  As a matter-of-fact I went to this sight when I was given it as an assignment.  I do not care for this.  The violin line is rather small, not enough room to mark notes, and any notes marked will also have to be small............. If it works for you go for it.  But with the Schirmer's Library it is easy to see and mark notes.

Don't get me wrong I love the provided link!  And what I stated is my personal preferences and if the petrucci page for this works for you go for it!

June 1, 2010 at 01:06 AM ·

Check page 13-18 of the pdf, first dozen pages I imagine are for the accompanist.

June 1, 2010 at 03:52 AM ·

Royce, Many thanks for the kind words. Please keep us posted about your progress.

The violin is a Reinhold Schnabl. the bow is a Nurnberger. I'm not sure what strings I was using. Generally I use Dominant A,D,G and Pirastro Gold label E.

Best wishes.

Roy

March 29, 2011 at 10:06 PM ·

Hello, I know this is and old thread, but I would really like to listen to the 2nd Accolay concerto, I'll be playing it in a recital. Anybody knows where I can find a recording or something like that?

Thank you.

June 13, 2011 at 06:19 PM ·

Well, I played it :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJBPnl5VvEA

June 13, 2011 at 07:04 PM ·

Nice! And from memory too! Well done :)

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Los Angeles Philharmonic
Los Angeles Philharmonic