have yall heard of dong suk kang?

March 11, 2007 at 11:16 PM · i didn't know about him until just recently when i got a recording of his saint saens. the way he plays with his intensity is just perfect for the concerto if yall haven't heard it i really recommend it

Replies (22)

March 11, 2007 at 11:39 PM · Greetings,

I have his recordings. Agree with you about the Saint seans.. Most of them are Naxos. He`s an excellent player. Long time Galamian stduent. Very knowledgeable . I think he eitehr teahces or has taught at tyhe Royal Academy of Music in London but is/was mostly base din Paris. Also appears on quite a few competition juries.

Cheers,

Buri

March 12, 2007 at 01:30 AM · The Bach fugue in your profile is great. It wouldn't surprise me if you get scholarship offers from it. Your instrument is good too. What is it? You only say where it was bought.

March 12, 2007 at 02:30 AM · He plays a pretty mean Sibelius.

March 12, 2007 at 03:59 PM · Excellent player...poetic and virtuosic

March 13, 2007 at 05:52 AM · yeah, my violin is a guarneri model made my christian pederson. the special thing about my violin is that if you skip a day in practice... the violin's sound will slump and take days to bring it back up, it's a good motivation for me. my bach is alright...but i'm majoring as medicine...violin is a good hobby for me.

March 13, 2007 at 06:17 AM · Not a bad $1000 violin at all.

March 13, 2007 at 06:35 AM · oh haha it's 5000.. but not that much bigger of a step...

March 13, 2007 at 07:04 AM · I saw em for a thousand samolians.

March 13, 2007 at 01:34 PM · I have Dong-Suk Kang and Roland Pontinen's CD of the three Grieg sonatas. I really like the playing of both musicians.

Also, Nigel, if you use "yall", please keep in mind that "yall" is actually a contraction of "you-all", and is really "y'all".

But don't get me started on the mysteries of "all y'all", or worse, "y'allins". I haven't figured those out yet.

March 13, 2007 at 03:09 PM · sorry for my terrible grammar on an internet forum

March 13, 2007 at 07:14 PM · i really like his sound, he was featured in the strad a few yrs back

his recording of the sibelius humoresques and seranades is one of my favorite cds I own, well worth having

March 15, 2007 at 05:14 AM · Nigel - a must listen is his Walton concerto performance. :)

March 15, 2007 at 08:39 AM · *itunes searching*

FOUND

March 15, 2007 at 11:46 PM · Is that his real name?

March 15, 2007 at 11:46 PM · Is that his real name?

March 16, 2007 at 12:23 AM · yes

March 16, 2007 at 04:27 PM · No his real name is Franky Fiddler but he didn't think it was suitable enough to use for showbiz...

March 17, 2007 at 04:36 AM · Dong-Suk Kang has an album with Pascal Devoyon (Naxos) of French Violin Sonatas: Debussy, Saint-Saens, Ravel, Poulenc. It's a terrific recording. His bio in the liner notes states that he won prizes at the Montreal, Flesch and Queen Elizabeth competitions.

March 17, 2007 at 10:56 PM · he deserves A LOT more...

and they say asians have no emotions in their playing..

March 17, 2007 at 11:36 PM · Dong Suk is a friend of mine...I think he is one of the best violin players in the world.

He lives in Paris, but he teachs master classes at Yun Sae University in Korea.

His Sibelius is so hot...^^ I remember that...from 1978 performence in LA

March 18, 2007 at 12:09 AM · ahh what an amazing thing to talk to such a virtuoso regularly

March 22, 2007 at 11:28 AM · He is the first solo violinist I went to see play. A very special memory to me. My mother and I went to see him play the Sibelius concerto at the Nambour Civic Centre. We sat so close to him I could have almost reached out and touched his shoes.

We both remembered his serious, almost surly face as he faced the audience at the beginning. Then a change came over him, and he relaxed. At the end, he was smiling warmly. It was a very memorable occasion to both of us because we had never been to a classical music concert before (sorry, a bit of personal sentiment, but I can't help it. Thanks Mum!). I think the conductor was Vladimir Verbitsky. Eun Hwan Bai, please pass on warm greetings from a fan.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Los Angeles Philharmonic
Los Angeles Philharmonic