Warchal violin strings

March 7, 2007 at 06:53 PM · Hello everyone,

I know we talk about strings all the time, but let’s talk about the new Warchal violin strings.

I was sent 4 complementary sets, tried them all and am currently playing their BRILLIANT set.

I have played on Pirastro’s, Evah Pirazzi strings since they came out and was excited about this new strings…I think we are always expecting “the miracle string”, but here are some thoughts!

WEEK 1

Compared with the Evahs, they are very easy to play, even the D and G strings are like butter… responsive, very pleasant and warm tones even on the higher positions.

Harmonics are very nice and easy to play also!

The A string is also very warm and “sweet”, but the E string I still have some questions about, not bad, but something is not 100%.

WEEK 2

Overall they seemed very nice for the first week and a half, almost to the point that I even thought of changing to Warchal Brilliant strings!

But… two weeks later, here I am looking for feedback from does who may have also tried this new strings!

I’m not sure if it’s due to the change of weather, but they have changed a bit. I find now that I need to use a lot more pressure to get a good response from them… they are sounding a bit metallic and there is, it seems, a lost in power! I’m having a harder time projecting my sound with them.

I use a lot of harmonics and pizzicato in my playing and that is still working great, I really love the G string, maybe I’ll use Evahs with the Warchal G!

But for solo work, I’m just not sure right now!

If I was only doing orchestra work, I would probably stay with the Warchals, but for solo work they seem to have lost the power response I need!

I’ll keep them on for a few more days, but will have to go back to the Evahs this weekend. The Evah Pirazzi need at least a week to “settle” and I need them ready for my tour in Europe on the 23rd.

What are your thoughts and experience with Warchal strings?

Regards,

Peter

Replies (26)

March 7, 2007 at 10:43 PM · Anyone???

March 7, 2007 at 10:46 PM · Peter,

I tried them and they were quite dissapointing. Simply, they don't last that long. Hopefully they'll continue to develop their products. Unfortunately many of these Pirazzi and Vision Titanium strings which are meant to be loud and focused don't last so long. When I played with vision titaniums for almost 6 months, I changed them every 3 weeks.

March 7, 2007 at 10:48 PM · Greetings,

I used the free e string from the Strad about three years ago. I am not sur eif it was one of the Brilliants. It was just gorgeous, sweet and repsonsive for about two weeks and then it went dead, somewhat as you describe. If it had staye dhte wya it was I would have bene a lifetime convert.

OIn the other hand I change my strings a lot anyway so if this collapse is soemthign of a feature i might be able to live with it.

Cheer,s

Buri

March 7, 2007 at 11:39 PM · Peter,

I haven't tried warchal. but i liked Larsen Tziganes, which i think are in the same class of strings (big sound). i thought these were better than evahs. i'm curious to hear how you think of these compared to Warchals.

Jim

March 8, 2007 at 12:30 AM · Yea Peter I was just about to recommend the Tzigane... but who uses full sets anyways? I think specialized companies like Goldbrokat are best, because with that brand, you can change the string ever 2 weeks or so.

March 8, 2007 at 02:51 AM · Peter F.,

I have also received a complementary package of their strings.

I found the 'Brilliant' set to be most disappointing for me.

The G string rattles too much. And when applying pressure on the others, they choke, unlike the Pirazzi and Visions.

I found the other two sets much better the Karneol and Ametyst.

There is a very nice ring two them as well as a looser feel.

I find a lot depends on the instrument at hand. Some fiddles need more tension some much less.

The two sets that worked well for me, are on fiddles that like a loose set up and loose string tension.

I am sure these string will do well in Europe, because the set up (sound post to bridge ratio) there is much looser than it is in the USA.

March 8, 2007 at 03:01 AM · Yes I think the Karneol is meant to be like Dominant.

March 8, 2007 at 04:20 AM · I can't say that I would compare either of the sets Karneol and Ametyst to the Dominants in sound.

The Karneol and Ametyst are warmer but may seem less powerful depending on how you play - concentrated sound or with a lot of fast bow. They seem to respond better to faster bow rather than concentrated bow like Dominants.

March 8, 2007 at 05:40 AM · I'm a huge huge Larsen fan. Emily puts them on all of her 5 strings. I love the sound. I used Dominants for years, but now I can't go anywhere without a pack of Larsens in my case.

March 8, 2007 at 12:05 PM · "... but who uses full sets anyways?"

I use a full set of EPirazzi with the gold E for many years and now I've replaced the E with a Jarger.

Seems to work for my violin.

Thanks for all the great responses so far! It looks like we are all on the same page with the Warchal strings!

Peter

March 8, 2007 at 04:15 PM · I also use complete sets, Visions or Pirazzis.

March 8, 2007 at 04:33 PM · I've been recently using the entire Oliv sets, including the gold E. I guess people don't normally use it because it squeaks? But I've never had that problem on my violin.

March 8, 2007 at 05:38 PM · I liked their Brilliant set. Lots of colour and warmth. If one if looking for an alternative to Dominant they are worth a try. They are definately better than Pirazzi (I really dislike those on any instrument). Again it's a matter of finding what suits your fiddle.

March 9, 2007 at 08:58 AM · Peter,

I tried once the 'karneol' set, and also for me, they died to soon, after two weeks. But I wish this factory good luck on the string market, I like their philosophy (and their prices). (my credo: better a new string than a expensive string)

Finn

March 10, 2007 at 12:23 PM · I had a brief love affair with a Warchal Karneol D string a few months ago. As with all intense passions, it was not meant to last! The G was pretty good too, but my violin hated the A. Possibly this was due to a bad setup though. I love the little felt bridge protector for the E string, but that's about all I can say for the E, it seemed to remind me of the infeld E's, somehow whistly without even being a Gold E! I'd say they are definately worth trying and I think they last at least as long as the Larsens before getting a bit dull.

March 11, 2007 at 11:03 PM · Hi,

I tried these quite seriously when the Warchal company sent me some sets. On my fiddle, I did best with the Karneol and Ametyst, which, like Gennady, had a nice ring and responsed very well to bow speed and contact point. They did lack some of the projection of Dominants and were different to me. Under the hand, the Ametyst felt more like Eudoxa than synthetics.

The Brilliant did not unfortunately work (but neither do Pirazzi or Visions on my fiddle), but worked terrifically on one of my student's instrument. They seemed to share the qualities of something like in between Pirazzi and Obligato, and for her, lasted a really long time.

For me, the two sets that worked for me lasted about 4 weeks, which seems average in my case, so, I don't know what to say.

Like with all strings, they are worth a try, especially, if like Gennady said, your instrument like a looser setup.

Cheers!

March 11, 2007 at 11:10 PM · Greetings,

yep, I wouldn`t dismiss a good stirng if it only lasted four weeks. I often find even quite advanced students leave strings on way too long. The pitch may still be more or less okay but the sound has gone sloppy in such small increments the palyer is not aware of it until they put a new set on.

Cheers,

Buri

April 20, 2007 at 11:20 PM · Forgetful, distracted, call it what you may.

I have just put a set of Karneol on my violin, and I tried to stay attentive while I was doing it, but now I wonder if I might have mixed the D and A strings.

The D seems to have too little tension, but it has tuned up to a D but not held that overnight.

Looking at the strings, the D looks to be unwound , more like the E in appearance, and the A looks thicker and more wound, more like a G in appearance. Again, though, that string has tuned up to an A.

My D is Green wound at the ball end, and the A is purple at the ball end.

Can someone with a better attention to detail please tell me if I've bunged these on in reverse? Thanks for your help.

Sharelle.

November 12, 2007 at 06:30 AM · Some reviews say that the Karneol strings are sweet sounding with great projection. Is it true?

November 12, 2007 at 10:09 PM · I have a set of Karneols on my violin right now. My first impression was that they sounded like soft velvet. They don't have the projection of Dominants (which is what I used before), but they seem to open up the more you play them.

November 13, 2007 at 05:46 AM ·

November 13, 2007 at 05:27 AM · Did anybody use Karneols? one of the discussions on V.com said that they have good power/modulation, great color and projections. Did anybody find them so?

November 13, 2007 at 10:10 PM · A is purple

D is green

Looks like you're ok,

AP

December 5, 2007 at 05:22 AM · Which of the Warchal strings are similar to Evah Pirazzi? Im using Evah pIrazzis right now. and hows the Tziganes?

December 6, 2007 at 11:40 AM · Hi, I've been using Warchal Brilliant strings since January (firstly on an 18th century instrument then a modern one) and have generally been really happy with the result. They've coped well with some pretty heavy playing and have stood up well to demanding pieces. As I'd used Dominants for so many years, I haven't got a wide range of experience to compare them with but so far they've certainly been more durable than the dominants. The E string did snap (rather than deteriorated gradually) but that was during some quite intense playing.

In terms of tone quality, they certainly seem to live up to their 'Brilliant' title - having a bright sound and excellent projection, however when all strings are new they sound great to me.

I haven't tried any of the other Warchal strings yet, but generally find that if a string is 'bright', that quality can be toned down a bit by the way its played. If a string is too 'mellow', there's not much I've been able to do to make it brighter... (if that makes sense?)

I've chosen to stick with the Brilliants because they have such a good variety of sound - when I need them to be bright and powerful they are, but they can also be toned down and played much softer.

December 6, 2007 at 11:32 AM · Karneols lasted about three weeks on my violin. they sounded as dead as doornails by then, I was about to change them when the E string broke. I'm very much a learner, Im not exactly giving the things a tough workout.

I then tried the ametyst, they've been better, they don't feel sticky, but they have totally lost their ring now, a few months down the track.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Los Angeles Philharmonic
Los Angeles Philharmonic