Violinist Silvia Marcovici

March 6, 2007 at 06:41 PM · Is anyone familiar with violinist Silvia Marcovici?

She is Romanian. She studied in Bacau and Bucharest. And she has performed extensively in Europe and the US.

I just listed to her perform the entire Franck Sonata on www.youtube.com. It was gorgeous! An extremely lovely tone with extremely sensitive and passionate interpretation. Her technique is impeccable!

Replies (32)

March 6, 2007 at 07:16 PM · Preston Hawes studied with her.

March 7, 2007 at 08:31 AM · Yes, Silvia is a wonderful violinist, in my opinion she even belongs to the top female violinists of our time!

She lives in France and teaches at the Music Hochschule in Graz, Austria, and is still very active on the concert stage.

March 8, 2007 at 12:59 PM · http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12BiXa25oT8

Silvia Marcovici playing the Bruch

AN

March 8, 2007 at 02:52 PM · Yes, the Bruch is great. Also on youtube, she does an exquisite rendition of Lalo's Symphonie Espagnole!

Lalo Symphonie Espagnole - 1st movement

07:42

Silvia Marcovici plays the Lalo Symphonie Espagnole with conductor C.Mandeal and the Bucarest Philarmonic .

1st movement

March 10, 2007 at 08:30 AM · theres a youtube of her playing the tchaikovsky she's pretty awesome

March 10, 2007 at 03:32 PM · http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=silvia+marcovici

here she is...

March 10, 2007 at 03:36 PM · Excellent player.

March 11, 2007 at 12:09 AM · and a fun lady too.

March 11, 2007 at 07:55 PM · You may listen to her Sibelius Violin concerto performance here:

First movement

Second movement

Finale

She is performing there with the Gothenburg Symphony Orchestra under Neeme Järvi.

FMF

March 13, 2007 at 06:04 AM · wow... she's awesome with the sibelius too...where can i buy this cd? i love how she's so firm in the upper register

March 13, 2007 at 06:11 AM · Search for B0000016DR at Amazon, or for Marcovici and Sibelius in any other shop.

FMF

May 5, 2007 at 04:24 AM · I heard her play the Khachaturian Concerto a few years ago with the Louisville Orchestra. She was amazing! I could hear every repetitively chromatic note perfectly! She was really charismatic on stage and looked great. It is nice every now and again to have a good-looking performer.

May 5, 2007 at 10:44 PM · she's an amazing violinist. I have watched all her videos on youtube, and seriously, there is little imo that she does wrong interpretively/musically.

wonderful, passionate player!

May 6, 2007 at 04:55 AM · she didn't seem that passionate in that youtube Bruch video =(

May 7, 2007 at 12:14 AM · IMO a first-rate player and also a very good (and strict…!) teacher. Not passionate…? Can’t imagine it at all… As a curiosity, she is married to Diego Pagin, actual first concertmaster of the SWR-SO in Baden-Baden / Freiburg and one of the most talented violinists I have ever known, who could IMO easily have made a big solo career, if he only wanted… And they really looked like a couple of movie or showbiz-stars, very different from the rather (let’s say so to be polite…LOL!) “not so trendy” musicians in Germany in the 80’s-early 90’s…

May 7, 2007 at 02:19 PM · Their son Aimo Pagin was a student at Peabody, excellent pianist...

June 8, 2007 at 01:27 PM · She is an intense player, somewhat in the Sovjet mode of violin playing in the 1970's. The younger generation likes it more "de'contracte' ".

December 3, 2008 at 08:06 PM ·

she is one of my favorites.

December 28, 2008 at 05:53 PM ·

Coming out next month, a double CD +DVD of Ms Marcovici playing concertos by Beethoven, Brahms, Lalo, Bruch, Saint-saëns, Tchaikovsky..! ! Check out at  doremi.com.

July 25, 2009 at 03:49 PM ·

She performed Carl Nielsen's concerto in Paris a few years ago with the Orchestre National de France under Osmo Vänskä's baton. Much as I love Menuhin's sensitive account with Wöldike, that was probably both the best performance of that concerto I ever heard, and the best by her of any piece. A small (and rather weird) memory lapse notwithstanding, it was outstanding for the beauty of tone, the intensity, the way she matched Vänskä's lean and masterful rendition.

July 25, 2009 at 06:14 PM ·

shes great.  beatuiful sound, technique that lasts through age.... :)

July 26, 2009 at 03:53 PM ·

I've heard her several times in Germany and Austria, a really fine violinist with lots of musical ideas.  I can well imagine she must be a very inspiring teacher.  I think what I liked most about her playing was that she had quite a distinctive "voice" on the violin - you might not end up agreeing with everything she did musically, but it was very much "her" interpretation and I always appreciate that kind of individuality...

What was she like as a teacher, Preston?  Any particular things that she really emphasised?

August 2, 2011 at 06:19 PM ·

Just came accross this - Silvia accompanying her soprano daughter Sarah Pagin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBnN38tnojk

what a gem - and what a treasure for them...

[edited wrong name...]

August 2, 2011 at 07:40 PM ·

I discovered her on youtube big lush romantic sound with a lot of power. Listening to her play Franck as I type this. She certainly doesn't hold back the emotion I like her playing.

-M

August 2, 2011 at 07:45 PM ·

noted.

August 3, 2011 at 02:00 AM ·

I used to have a boxed LP set of Stokovsky's 60th anniversary concert.  She played the Glazunov -- very impressive performance.

November 18, 2011 at 06:44 PM · The legendary Glasunow with Stokowsky is here: Shttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygs7TlT4KjU

November 19, 2011 at 06:00 AM · I have listened to most of her concerts on youtube. She is stunning!

November 20, 2011 at 07:39 PM · I forgot to mention that it is the video of this concert (Stokowski celebrating, at 90, the 60th anniversary of his first concert with the LSO, playing the same program, with Marcovici succeeding Zimbalist)

November 20, 2011 at 08:45 PM · I forgot to mention that it is the video of this concert (Stokowski celebrating, at 90, the 60th anniversary of his first concert with the LSO, playing the same program, with Marcovici succeeding Zimbalist)

January 3, 2012 at 12:17 PM · Hi,

For everyone who would like to watch Marcovoci

s masterclass here is the site:

www.classicalplanet.com

Very interesting the Beethoven sonata in G M

You must subscribe to this site for a montt or by month.Zakar Brohn also is there..

January 12, 2013 at 06:25 AM · love this woman's plaaying. Does anyone know how to contact silvia? She's just about web-proof! There is a FB page but its obvious she never goes there...

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Los Angeles Philharmonic
Los Angeles Philharmonic