Antoniazzi

March 3, 2007 at 12:09 AM · So my violin is in the shop right now having an open seam sealed and the loander fiddle I was given is a 1926 Romeo Antoniazzi.

What is everyone's experience with these fiddles? This is a FANTASTIC instrument, especially for its price tag of $65,000. It plays like a $165,000 instrument!

Preston

Replies (39)

March 3, 2007 at 01:53 AM · Preston, I am not surprised.

He was a Superb Maker.

Go figure, an early 20th century maker....the lineage of Antoniazzi brothers goes directly to Ceruti family with whom they learned their craft.

Ceruti Dynasty carried on the tradition from the times of Storioni - (Giovanni Battista Ceruti was a pupil of Lorenzo Storioni). Along with Bisiach, Antoniazzi's inspired a whole new generation of makers to whom they passed on old traditions.

March 3, 2007 at 10:46 PM ·

March 3, 2007 at 11:18 PM · exactly. The best pupils of Bisiach and Antoniazzi include, Garimberti, Ornati, Sgarabotto, Sderci and Sesto Rocchi.

And ofcourse the lineage continues via their pupils etc.

Thanks to the efforts of many of those great makers (which began with Gaetano Antoniazzi) and later with support of people like Sacconi, the glory of Cremona was re-established with the opening of the School of Violin Making (officially in 1938, Cremona).

March 4, 2007 at 09:55 PM · ng.

March 11, 2007 at 12:17 AM · As impressed as I was by the Antoniazzi, once I got my Vuillaume back I was once again blown away by the french instrument. It must have had a cold for a couple months...because after the slight overhaul it had, the sound is just WOW!!

However, my opinion of the Antoniazzi is not lessened by this. The sound is amazing considering comparably priced instruments.

Preston

March 11, 2007 at 12:43 AM ·

March 12, 2007 at 05:33 AM · To be sure. Unfortunately I didn't have $65K burning a hole in my pocket. :-)

March 12, 2007 at 02:51 PM ·

March 12, 2007 at 10:05 PM · One recently was being offered for $175,000

March 12, 2007 at 04:08 PM · wow!!!

March 13, 2007 at 01:29 AM · What year was the Vuillaume made Preston?

March 13, 2007 at 03:03 AM · You know, I'm not sure. Thought if I remember correctly Robertson and Sons was offering it.

March 16, 2007 at 02:26 PM ·

March 16, 2007 at 02:50 PM · Peter Carter wrote: "On the subject of Antoniazzi,I had a fascinating instrument "competition" two years ago in our concert hall.The soloist had the "Heath" Guarneri and for fun we compared it with a Riccardo Antoniazzi (1910) a Leandro Bisiach Sr.(1899) and a Ferdinando Garimberti (1925)."

Peter; It seems to me I may "know" a couple of those Modern Italian fiddles you mentioned... Correct? :-)

March 16, 2007 at 04:14 PM · Peter, you must be talking about Yi Jia Hou. She's had the Heath for about 4 years, and will have it another 2 years. That fiddle is incredible.

March 16, 2007 at 08:32 PM ·

March 16, 2007 at 07:18 PM · I agree that some of the modern Italians are really fantastic. I recently tried a Pedrazzini in Bishop's shop in London. Big sound with such quality. That fiddle really blew me away. Beautiful to look at as well. Maybe it's getting a bit hard to talk about these instruments as modern since they are around the 100 years mark most of them now. A modern i.e. new violin has little to do with a violin that's already 80-100 years old. I think Gennady quoted Sgarabotto saying a violin reaches it's prime at 100.

March 17, 2007 at 01:39 AM ·

March 17, 2007 at 05:17 AM · so what is the fiddle that you have Peter?

BTW, I know many colleagues who are enjoying their careers playing instruments by Fagnola, Antoniazzi, Erminio Farina (student of Antoniazzi, died very young in WWI), P. Parravicini (another pupil of Antoniazzi), L. Azolla, Bisiach (family), Ornati, Garimberi, Sgarabotto (Gaetano & Pietro), S. Rocchi, Sderci (Igino & Luciano), Fiorini, Poggi, Capicchioni (Marino & Mario), Pollastri (Augusto & Gaetano), O. Bignami, G. Pedrazzini, G. Lucci, Vincenzo Postiglione, Soffriti, Vincenzo Sannino, P. Michetti, and many others.

And they are extremely happy.

Some of these early 20th century makers are still available for under 65K.

March 17, 2007 at 01:41 PM ·

March 17, 2007 at 04:43 PM · my Rocchi is similar in sound and power to the Sgarabotto.

check out STRINGS issue from August/September 1999:

Sesto Rocchi Honored

once on the site, scroll down to "Rocchi Honored" by Patricia Kaden

March 17, 2007 at 06:06 PM · I know a girl who plays a Sesto Rocchi cello on loan. That's is a fantastic instruments and looks stunning. It's a copy of a Strad B-form cello.

March 17, 2007 at 06:14 PM · Kristian,

what fiddle do you play on?

March 17, 2007 at 10:21 PM · i did some googling, as a lot of these violins mentioned i've heard of before but never had the opportunity to play/see.

i found a pretty lengthy list of fine instruments, many of which gennady and the rest of the posters have mentioned, along with high quality photos at:

www.brobstviolins.com/

thought people might like to connect these names with examples of the makers' works. a lot of beautiful work all around - now if only we all get to try them out : )...

March 18, 2007 at 12:34 AM · also tarisio.com photo archives has many photos that are available for public access.

March 18, 2007 at 03:17 AM · Gennady:

This is off the topic (sorry for that) but I keep meaning to ask you...do you know a violinist Alexander Brusilowski (Spelling may be a bit off) from Russia?

Kevin

March 18, 2007 at 05:48 AM · No, but I know of him. Why do you ask?

March 19, 2007 at 01:22 AM · Gennady:

I saw him play a year plus ago. I thought it was pretty good. But I'd never heard of him.

His pianist, by the way, was Nina Kogan, so it seemed he operated in a pretty high echelon of players.

Thanks anyway,

Kevin

March 19, 2007 at 01:33 AM · wow, it's a small world after all.

Nina is married to a friend of mine Julian Milkis who is a clarinetist (soloists). He is the son of Jascha Milkis. In 1975 Mr. Jascha Milkis joined the Toronto Symphony as Associate Concertmaster and in 1987 was appointed Second Concertmaster. As well as appearing many times as a soloist with the Toronto Symphony and other orchestras, he was a faculty member of the National Youth Orchestra, the Royal Conservatory of Music and a Professor of Music at the University of Toronto.

March 19, 2007 at 12:28 PM ·

March 19, 2007 at 07:45 PM · Gennady:

I suspect the musical world is very small. I think he was in my area because of a local pianist (I live outside Boston).

I recall that Nina Kogan's husband (maybe not her first one?) is a clarinetist. She has a daughter who is a talented pianist, I gather. A rather musical family!

Kevin

March 21, 2007 at 01:49 AM · Yes, imagine the Kogan dynasty and the Milkis one..........Julian Milkis's sister is also a fine violinist lives in NYC.

Kevin, you forgot to answer my question as to what fiddle do you play on?

June 11, 2008 at 05:37 PM ·

July 5, 2009 at 04:39 AM ·

I am member of the Colon orchestra Theatre , violinist....I have a splendid Vincenzo Sannino( copy and labelled Januarius Gagliano.....) and i need to sell it sadly for the economic-politic situation of my country, and , of course,  at the Colon Theatre.I dont know what  I have to do to show pictures , but my violin its really georgius, anybody explain me , please? whatever , my emal is odysseo@speedy.com.ar, thank you and greetings.

Amílcar Carfi

December 27, 2009 at 10:17 AM ·

Among other violins I own a 3/4 Romeo Antoniazzi. You can't imagine how beutiful its sound is despite the small size. Few years ago may nephew was initiating her study of violin and and she was almost giving up. Then I gave her my violin and she couldn't stop playing! Now she is grown up and I lent her a Garimberti that was made just for me (there's a label inside with a dedication). I had a chance to know Garimberti for many years: great man!

December 27, 2009 at 05:02 PM ·

Ciao Pino! I see you have studied with Paolo Borciani, the Quartetto Italiano is my favorite quartet.

www.manfio.com

December 28, 2009 at 05:40 PM ·

yes I did.

Actually I did study with him. A great palyer, he and his wife Elisa Pegreffi. I did not appreciate him so much as a teacher, despite the fact that he was the most famous teacher at the Milan Conservatory. On the other hand I have an indelible memory of my previous teacher Luigi Ferro who was founder of the Virtuosi di Roma that you may have known. In the sixties and seventies they were the most famous ensemble for italian baroque music i.e. Vivaldi. He was a great man and a great teacher and i sorely miss him. If you have a chance to listen to their edition of Vivaldi's Estro Armonico Op. 3 (especially the last four conscerts), it's a EMI edition you'll see what I mean.

I wish you happy holidays.

Pino

December 30, 2009 at 01:57 AM ·

December 30, 2009 at 11:22 PM ·

It's a 1957.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe