Everest shoulder rest

February 24, 2007 at 08:57 PM · Has anyone tried the new Everest shoulder rest? What are your impressions of it? Is it really more ergonomic or is it just another Kun knock-off?

Thanks!

Allen

Replies (22)

February 25, 2007 at 03:54 PM · Hi,I bought one. I have a little collection for my students to try before purchasing. I use a Kun folder. I am OK with the other Kuns. Don't mind the Zaret version of sponges. I do not like for myself play-on-air, wooden ones, Comford. The Everest feels OK. A little hard and a little narrow for me. It is in the Kun mode, but not a complete knock-off. It adjusts differently due to a 3-position pivot for the leg base, so somebody who generally feels OK with a Kun, but wants the rest closer to the chinrest can do that. Sue

June 6, 2007 at 03:01 AM · I purchased an Everest several months ago, and I must say that it ended a long and expensive search for the "perfect fit." In terms of comfort, support, design, and quality of materials, I find that it is far superior to other products--and, of course, much less expensive. The closest thing to it would be the Kun Super Rest, but the Everest is just a hair wider with more of an ergonomic tilt and a much more substantial and comfortable pad (the harder, thinner Kun pad occasionally caused some minor irritation on my shoulder). It's almost as light as the Kun but is very solid and strong, unlike the rather rickety cheap plastic feel of so many expensive (why?) rests. For me, the Everest fits like NO OTHER rest, and it's really helped me to eliminate some tension that I think came from muscular "compensation" for less than ideal shoulder rest support. That in turn has allowed me to further develop my technique. I really think that as more people try this out it will become almost standard issue for violinists. It's that good--just a wonderful product.

June 6, 2007 at 11:20 PM · From its name I would guess that it's much too high! ;-)

June 6, 2007 at 11:24 PM · Greetings,

probably covered with junk and leads one to have a frozen shoulder.

Cheers,

Buri

June 7, 2007 at 02:24 AM · Actually, it's pure yeti skin. There's no substitute, trust me.

June 7, 2007 at 03:43 AM · its actually not that high. if you want it higher just put bon musica feet on it. the feet are about the same height as kun. even though it is a lot more expensive, i strongly suggest using the bon musica. you can adjust it any way you want and it can fit almost any size neck.

June 7, 2007 at 03:53 AM · Greetings,

>its actually not that high.

But thats the bit above sea level.

Cheers,

Buri

June 7, 2007 at 10:26 AM · "But thats the bit above sea level."

Buri - You mean the bit above oxygen level?

Ihnsouk

June 7, 2007 at 11:36 AM · I heard that you need a Sherpa to assist you in putting it on, and still, many have fallen (practiced?) to their deaths!

BTW, I hear that there's a more high-tech version called "the K-2 shoulder rest"!

June 7, 2007 at 06:14 PM · one thing in its favour: the price is right!

June 7, 2007 at 10:39 PM · greetings,

problem with this rest is it only wants to go on the North face,

Cheers,

Buri

June 8, 2007 at 03:52 AM · The bon musica is certainly the rest of choice for ultra high support. I once thought this was what I needed, but it became quite uncomfortable after just a few days so I had to re-adjust my setup and try something else. Now it looks to me like some kind of ominous medieval contraption, and I'm glad to have opted for a lighter rest that allows more freedom of movement. For what it's worth, I have about average neck length and find the Everest has plenty of height with a perfectly adequate adjustment range on each foot.

June 14, 2007 at 02:24 AM · For you serious inquirers, it's probably belaboring the the obvious, but Buri and I were just having some fun based on the name, "Everest". I just got cut off of a serious debate on a blog thread about the best to play w.o. a rest. We need some comic relief sometimes!

June 14, 2007 at 02:59 AM · Hmm, I think I might have seen one and it looked a bit more comfortable than the Kun (which I use) but I havn't tried yet... I might get one soon just for the heck of it

June 18, 2007 at 01:20 PM · FYI, Southwest Strings just added the Everest, and it's priced at $11.95. Best deal around.

July 25, 2007 at 07:05 AM · You can get Everest from eBay store for $14.99 (shipping included), a better deal! I believe shipping from Southwest Strings is extra.

Their link is:

http://stores.ebay.com/DC-Enterprise-Strings-Department

BTW, Everest is really comfortable.

December 4, 2007 at 07:11 AM · Hey, um...I'm considering getting an Everest shoulder rest as a replacement for my Viva la Musica shoulder rest (which is falling apart). Would this be a comparable rest?

(btw, if anybody knows where I can get some replacement feet for my shoulder rest instead that would be really helpful too...)

December 4, 2007 at 07:26 AM · Raphael, I love your remark about K2.

December 7, 2007 at 01:24 AM · I hesitate to comment since I recently edited a wonderful ASTA article by Lynne Denig about chinrest height vs. shoulder rests, but what the heck... The Everest is similar to both the Viva and the Kun, but the sponge-y part is a bit thicker and a little wider. The general shape of the rest is like a Kun. My daughter, who has very wide, bony shoulders, finds it more comfortable than either the Kun, which is a little narrow, and the Viva, which is wider than the Kun but a bit flimsy. (We've had the plastic screws on the Viva break and had to rig it up with wing nuts--very fetching.) The price on the Everest can't be beat!

December 7, 2007 at 04:45 AM · I know, at $64,000 practically any yahoo with a little extra dough to burn can get to the top, but didn't we all learn our lesson back in '96?

The mountain, she can't be bought.

December 13, 2007 at 07:16 AM · FIW...

tried it - a good rest. but it didn't solve the problem I was having with neck pan, hickey, control, etc.

I tried no rests at all, but this simply didn't work for me. Then I read some very old stuff about violinists from the 1890s. They used no chin rest, no shoulder rest. hmmm. So, I removed both rests. Did not work well for me. Left chin rest off, but put on the shoulder rest. Much easier to play... and.... no hickey anymore, no pain, easier control, more intimate with violin. Now no difference between Kun, Everest, etc, but my fav is Mucco (light, flex, gimballed).

So, I found my answer, finally. The violin finish will take a beating though, until I can figure out what to use between skin and wood that provides the same grip and freedom of movement.

The shoulder rest does restrict freedom, but so far I can't find an alternative.

2 bits worth.

October 13, 2009 at 09:44 PM ·

I am the EVEREST Shoulder Rest engineer, you can visit my website at

http://www.everestshoulderrest.com

I have just made a version for Viola players too !

---David

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Los Angeles Philharmonic
Los Angeles Philharmonic