Viktror Tretyakov one of the best!

February 18, 2007 at 10:28 PM · People, let's talk about Viktor Tretyakov, one of the greatest violinist of former soviet union,his playing just fantastic, his musical ideas, I have his recording from the Finale at teh Tchaikovsky Competition 1966, he played Tchaikovsy and Paganini no.1 concertos. No comments, amazing...

Replies (38)

February 22, 2007 at 02:22 PM · I'm curious--whatever happened to his career??

February 22, 2007 at 02:59 PM · As far as I know he teaches in Germany (Cologne?) and gives master classes.

Ronald

February 22, 2007 at 05:21 PM · I love Tretyakov's 1979 recording of the Brahms VC (with Yansons and the State Academic Symph. Orch.).

February 23, 2007 at 06:03 AM · the little recordings there are of him floatin around are all jems. especially his shostakovich concertos -- simply stunning!

February 23, 2007 at 04:13 PM · I agree. The few recordings I have heard of his are simply great.

Sandy

February 23, 2007 at 09:55 PM · I have a recording of him playing some Tschaikovsky on a CD that also features Kogan playing the Beethoven. Tretyakov's Serendade Melancholique and the other pieces sound like he phoned it in. No emotional involvement, at least to me. And no one is allowed any other opinions.

February 23, 2007 at 09:57 PM · Greetings,

Allen, many years ago I wa son sabbatical in Baluchistan and I went into a little junk shop. In one corner were some old scores and tucked away in the middle was a lette rapparently signed by Tchiakovsky. I had it translated and it read "Heaven forbid people should continue to try to be emotional with my mmusic. I am going to shoot myself."

Hope this sheds some light on the matter,

Buri

February 23, 2007 at 10:38 PM · Buri,

(good grief, I just had to use google to find out where Baluchistan is...)

Fascinating observation about the Tchaikovsky letter. As it happens, just a few days ago I was talking with a very close friend of mine who is getting ready to play the Tchaik VC in recital, and at one point he complained about the over-romanticized, ultra-bravura, heart-on-sleeve-and-spilling-one's-guts interpretations that are too common in Tchaikovsky these days. His main point was that Tchaikovsky himself was a very shy, quiet and gentle man, so his music should ideally be played with reserve and tenderness more than exaggerated romanticism. Sounds like dear old Piotr Ilyich himself may have agreed!

February 23, 2007 at 11:31 PM · From: Skowronski: Classical Recordings

To: Ms. Maura Gerety

Dear Ms. Gerety: Perchance you and your friend may be interested in referring to Mr. Skowronski's comments which appear in the current March '07 STRINGS magazine specifically relating to issues akin to the occasional 'over-indulgent' treatment of, in this instance, Mendelssohn's E Minor Concerto. Says Mr. Skowronski, "The E Minor is a classy concerto,....or it should be." And he adds that, "....the concerto is a victim of speed and lack of refinement." Tchaikovsky, Mendelssohn, etc.,......all pretty much birds of a feather, might you agree?

Best regards,

Skowronski: Classical Recordings

February 24, 2007 at 12:23 AM · Hi Mr. Skowronski, I get Strings magazine and laughed out loud when I saw that you had written an article for it. :) It was a good piece of writing, I agreed with pretty much everything you said in it--an over-schmaltzed Mendelssohn is actually even more cringe-inducing than an over-schmaltzed Tchaik. But maybe that's just because we're all used to too much schmaltz in Tchaik by now? Sigh...

February 24, 2007 at 12:47 AM · Mister Skowronski,

with all due respect, I thought this thread is about Victor Tretyakov. In the 1970's I had the privilege to see him play the Sibelius with Rudolf Kempe conducting the Bamberg SO in the Meistersinger Concert Hall of Nuremberg. Unforgettable.

Hansjürgen Kohlhaas

May 17, 2007 at 03:42 AM · well, it's interesting but I haven't heard that he played any concerts here in the US...

May 17, 2007 at 10:49 AM · Interesting question, Ordabek. My Google search turned up one reference to him playing in the U.S., which was a 1984 appearance at Carnegie Hall with the Pittsburgh Symphony:

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9902E6DB1539F936A15753C1A962948260

He must have had some other concerts or recitals when he was here in '84, and I'd be surprised if he has not performed here in other years as well. Anyone have any further information on this?

May 17, 2007 at 04:48 PM · Tretyakov toured the USA in 1975. I heard him playing Paganini #1 with Dallas Symphony under the late Eduardo Mata. Extraordinary!

CD Recordings: Brahms Vioiln Concerto + Double with Viktor Feigin (Russia Revelation 5 032636 100897) // Paganini #1 + Tchaikovsky with Moscow Philarmonic with Neeme Jarvi (Melodiya/BMG 74321 40720 2)

May 17, 2007 at 04:27 PM · I saw Viktor Tretyakov in 2002 play Prokoviev sonata for 2 violins with Vadim Repin. He was also giving a masterclass in Verbier. I watched him recently on Russian TV, He still loves performing !

May 17, 2007 at 10:02 PM · There's a 10 cds boxed set of his recordings issued by Brilliant classics, should be available easily anywhere(and very affordable, too)

May 24, 2007 at 02:02 PM · Hi Benny,

What piece did you hear him perform on the Russian TV?

He played Sibelius with the San Francisco Symphony in 2001. I guess it was his most recent visit to the US. In 2003, he cancelled his performance in Pittsburgh.

May 24, 2007 at 10:52 PM · Hi Daniel, he played Dvorak Romance with Mark Gorenstein conducting, and another time I saw him play Saint-Saens Rondo Capriccioso with Temirkanov conducting St Petersburg Phil.Orch. Ok may be not so recently, that was about 4 years ago.

May 24, 2007 at 11:04 PM · If you are interested you can find more of his concerts on Russian TV channel TVKultura. Go to the link below, then enter his name,

Виктор Третьяков ,in the search box. I see he played with Bashmet last year but I did not see that concert.

http://www.tvkultura.ru/news.html?id=89430

May 25, 2007 at 09:31 AM · Hi Benny,

I know he is often on Kultura, but can you actually watch this channel in internet?

May 25, 2007 at 11:13 PM · yes you can. I'll send you a couple of links you can try, sometimes the picture you get is not great, it depends on your computer and on your broadband speed.

May 27, 2007 at 12:32 PM · Thanks Benny ! I am waiting for them.

May 31, 2007 at 05:48 PM · Vadik dorogoi! Ty ne mog by prislat mne toje link for Tretyakova?

Kak dela? Ty tho delaesh .... poganaya? a!? HAHAHAHA!!

obnimay,

ya

May 31, 2007 at 05:50 PM · People, if YOu have any links to Tretyakov's performing online, please forward to me. I'll apreciate it :)

danke

May 31, 2007 at 09:02 PM · Benny mentioned, that he has some links. Hope he will post them soon.

May 31, 2007 at 10:37 PM ·

June 1, 2007 at 05:46 AM · Gramaphone magazine did a story comparing Tretyakov to Francescatti. I agree with their critic who pointed out that Tretyakov did not demonstrate anything close to the musicality of Francescatti. Also, his nose is smaller.

June 1, 2007 at 07:42 PM · I watched him perform Shostakovich no.1 in September with Rostropovich. That happened to be the last concert of Rostropovich. From several versions I have heard Tretyakov with this concerto, this one was the most impressive.

June 24, 2007 at 07:15 PM · yees

June 24, 2007 at 08:21 PM · I found some old Melodya LP's of him. One of Paganini concerto (fabulous) and one of Schubert and de Falla.

I don't know how he plays today as I havn't heard him but the playing on the recordings is truly outstanding.

June 24, 2007 at 10:34 PM · He is great!

July 19, 2007 at 09:23 PM · agree

July 19, 2007 at 09:32 PM · yes could be

July 20, 2007 at 08:52 PM · well, there is no could be

September 29, 2007 at 10:09 AM · Heard him play the Tchaikovsky concerto and accompanied in the Brahms violin concerto. He also played Chausson concerto for violin piano and string quartet with the Borodin Quartet. Amazing musician.

September 29, 2007 at 12:35 PM · Tretchekov is a wonderful violinist. I remember his performance in 1989 with Los Angeles Philharmonic of Prokoviev's Concerto No.2.

He was a musician who relied very heavily on artistic merit alone to help him succeed. Never invested $ into PR and never found a top manager in the USA.

As a result, he didn't have alot of people "advocating" for him within the business end of music to present him to the audiences.

It's very sad....

October 22, 2007 at 11:16 AM · Hi guys ! Check out this recording of Tchaikovsky:

http://www.amazon.com/Symphony-1812-Overture-Violin-Concerto/dp/B000UYWGEY/ref=pd_bbs_2/002-0756746-5527223?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1193051723&sr=1-2

September 4, 2008 at 08:06 PM · www.youtube.com/watch?v=WP76QN1K1k4

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Los Angeles Philharmonic
Los Angeles Philharmonic