C'mon Laurie, how'd you feel if you were nameless!

February 13, 2007 at 09:40 PM · So this logo dude, has been on my screen as I practice night after night. He hasn't said a word as I practice 3rds, and didn't even complain when I completely reinvented every note in 3rd position. I think he deserves some respect, as well as a name.

Further, I think Laurie should give a t-shirt to whomever's choice is chosen, to be decided by her choice of 3-5 users, using a narrowed down field of selections.

Replies (68)

February 13, 2007 at 09:42 PM · I suppose I'd feel....anonymous. And now that you mention it, we don't allow anonymous posters.

So I guess our little friend needs a name! Yes, I'd fork over a T-shirt to the person who comes up with the best name...

Ideas?

February 14, 2007 at 05:30 AM · Well, I have to remove myself from the process in the spirit of good sportsmanship... Let the name game begin... Besides, I already know Fei' Fee' isn't goint to win. Indeed, he's mad because I outted his love for romantic music.

February 13, 2007 at 10:27 PM · Fiddler Fred!!! lol. Though I am not sure if it has been deemed male or female yet.

February 13, 2007 at 10:47 PM · I'm still completely baffled by this subject. I could have sworn his/her/its name was/is/shall always be Kokopelli.

Can someone explain to me why that isn't the logo's name or why it would be wrong for that to be its name.

Neil (Whose name is still Neil despite numerous attempts by others to change it to a#*&#(e)

February 13, 2007 at 10:58 PM · Because Kokopelli is a *flute* player?? ;o)

I'm sure there are members of native tribes of the Southwest who say that the image, taken out of its tribal/mythological context and re-appropriated for another symbollic usage (which, by the way, the tribes tend to get very tired of), is no longer really "Kokopelli" and can therefore be renamed. After all...we aren't trying to grow corn or get pregnant here (at least I'm sure not!).

This should not be taken to mean that I don't think "our little guy" is cute...he is. I like him, it's just that as an anthropologist (though not one who works with tribal peoples) I'm a bit ambivalent about this kind of thing...

February 13, 2007 at 11:43 PM · Greetings,

to be honest, I am not really in favor of naming a) because It would probably suggest a specific gender, race ratehr than the all embracing world of v.com and b) the power of the image may actually dilute. Right now it is us. It is we and we are it.

Burp

February 14, 2007 at 02:45 AM · Buri would feel different if Del Monte won...

February 14, 2007 at 03:26 AM · I still want to name him Jancsi Marley...

February 14, 2007 at 04:38 AM · My entry: Viopelli

February 14, 2007 at 06:20 AM · Hmm, when I first read this thread I was all gung-ho about the contest and trying to get my creative juices flowing, but I think I agree with Buri. I'm also reluctant to name my violin or even specify a gender for it, perhaps for similar reasons.

February 14, 2007 at 07:52 AM · Hey Karin--it's not your violin, it's the little logo person at the top right corner of the page we're naming. uh-oh--I meant left...

February 14, 2007 at 11:30 AM · Archi

February 14, 2007 at 12:12 PM · Geedae (rhymes with Ebay, a play off G D A E), not a person, but a creature.

February 14, 2007 at 12:52 PM · The Violinmeister.

(On second thought, yuck)

February 14, 2007 at 07:04 PM · Name: "It's Pat."

February 14, 2007 at 02:53 PM · I like "Niccolo"

February 14, 2007 at 06:57 PM · Um, I don't think it can feel anonymous because it can't feel.

February 14, 2007 at 07:25 PM · I don't see what is so wrong with naming it. There are unisex names. Some of those choices might be...

Virtuoso Vic

Maestro Mel

Conductor Chris

Fiddler Fran (though that one does seem a little feminine)

concertmaster Cassidy

February 14, 2007 at 07:44 PM · Koko.

End of contest.

February 14, 2007 at 07:53 PM · I like Coco better. ;)

February 14, 2007 at 08:30 PM · Didn't mean to be a spoilsport, Albert...I don't care all THAT much. :) And I know we're talking about the logo guy, not my violin. I'm just saying that once something has a name, one does impart certain characteristics (gender, culture, race, whatever) to it that somewhat decrease its universality. But everyone other than me and Buri seems to like the idea of naming him, so I'm cool.

February 14, 2007 at 09:25 PM · Let's call him T-bone

February 14, 2007 at 09:33 PM · Didn't we do this already ???

February 15, 2007 at 01:30 AM · How about a rhyming name like Locatelli Kokopelli.

February 15, 2007 at 01:54 AM · My vote is for Paganelli. The fact is, Kokopelli has been considered for ages to be a sign of masculinity (although ours does not fit this mold without the flute). If we all considered it to be Kokopelli (or a variation there of) for so long, we'd already been calling it a male name. Paganelli could be either I suppose... it's whichever you choose!

February 15, 2007 at 03:25 AM · So far I like Viopelli and Paganelli....

Maybe he/she is a Viopelli named Paganelli?

Or we could just call him Sam. "Play it again, Sam!"

February 15, 2007 at 03:30 AM · I like Paganelli!

It also sounds kind of, well, Pagan. Logo-guy is doing a little dance, after all.

Or maybe "Rastafelli."

Or possibly "OhMyAchingBackapelli."

February 15, 2007 at 03:32 AM · Locofelli - (S)he is loco (crazy) because (s)he looks like (s)he's been practicing for hours on end (hence the posture). And then felli = fellow.

February 15, 2007 at 06:52 AM · Then there's simply Patelli, or Viovia.

February 16, 2007 at 12:11 AM · Sydney speaks a great truth:

"Locofelli - (S)he is loco (crazy) because (s)he looks like (s)he's been practicing for hours on end (hence the posture). And then felli = fellow."

I even had the hair going on this evening at one point I think. ;)

February 16, 2007 at 01:47 AM · OhMyAchingBackapelli... (or whatever it was that you said)- TOO FUNNY!

Cuz we've all been there....

February 16, 2007 at 02:09 AM · I think, Prunatelli!.

February 16, 2007 at 02:18 AM · Paganinny

February 16, 2007 at 03:06 AM · call him: vivace

or

ebony

February 16, 2007 at 04:09 AM · Sir Scolionist

February 17, 2007 at 04:23 AM · Isn't that like humpbackatelli.

February 16, 2007 at 08:54 PM · Pietro Localdeli

OR

Palastrami

OR

Walter Bruno

February 17, 2007 at 05:16 PM · What about simply: Vio

February 17, 2007 at 09:11 PM · Albert: You forgot the last name. It's - Vio Lin.

February 17, 2007 at 09:52 PM · no no Sander--I'm going to get Fei` Fee in there if that's the case:

Vio Fei` Fee--now that's global. And the soul of my dear departed Fei` Fee, chew's on the leg of the table holding the Holy Grail in heaven on that thought--I'm sure.

February 18, 2007 at 01:49 PM · Shouldn't that be "Fee Fei"?

Then if you get another one, you can call it (him or her, that is).....(ready now?) "Fo Fum."

:) Sandy

February 18, 2007 at 02:58 PM · and I haven't had my coffee yet--sheesh.

February 19, 2007 at 03:49 AM · Sander, I consulted the spirit guide, and Fei' Fee is only concerned that you keep your day job! ;)....

Oh yeah, he asked for you to send some wicker furniture over with which to clean his teeth...

February 19, 2007 at 02:00 PM · Albert: Thank you for your response. Please tell Fay Foo (I hope I got that right) that I appreciate the concern about my day job, but that at this point I am completely out of wicker furniture. I might suggest used violin strings - they make a great dental floss. In fact, if you're really talented, you can learn to play Meditation from Thais on your molars.

Cordially, Sandy

February 19, 2007 at 05:01 PM · I'll pass that on Sander... I think however Fei' Fee (prounounced fayee fee)would be more partial to Casablanca... Have you ever tried that? Did it hurt? ;).

warmly with small amounts of rust,

al

February 19, 2007 at 06:11 PM · Albert: A little sadism never hurt anybody.

Cordially, Sandy

February 19, 2007 at 09:47 PM · C'mon folks Laurie need some more inputs... Let's get that creativeness going and give the Kokopelli violinist a good name.

February 19, 2007 at 09:54 PM · Sander, as the happiest sadist in the world, i can vouch for what you said.

February 19, 2007 at 09:59 PM · Perhaps Quasimoto, Igor, Kokopelli del Jesu, Beau Ponticelli, or Violaine.

February 19, 2007 at 10:40 PM · That's quite some name for sure.

February 19, 2007 at 10:41 PM · If Kokopelli is unacceptable, then count me in the "doesn't need a name" group.

Now back to the more interesting subject: The masochist says, "Beat me! Beat me!"

The sadist simply says, "No."

Neil

February 20, 2007 at 12:06 AM · Nonetheless, there are entries already.... I think there are somewhere between 3-5 entries, but I'm sure Laurie would like there be more.

February 20, 2007 at 12:17 AM · Ahhhh, but surely "not giving it a name" counts as an entry as well and without actually counting the votes, it may well be in the lead.

Neil

February 20, 2007 at 01:27 AM · He used to have a name already until it was stripped from him and forgotten. It was kokopelli_violin.gif. Donate my shirt to the naked.

February 20, 2007 at 01:37 AM · I don't know...nothing seems quite right!

February 20, 2007 at 04:02 AM · Violin McViolinington.

February 20, 2007 at 04:51 AM · I found some nifty names on the internet:

"Cocheta" (Native American) That you cannot imagine

"Dichali" (N.A.) Speaks a lot

"Imala" (N.A.) Discipline

"Kaga" (N.A.) Writer

"Minda" (N.A.) Knowledge

and my favorites...

"Ahote" (Hopi) Restless One

"Shuman" (Hopi) Rattlesnake Handler

"Tate" (N.A.) He Who Talks Too Much

February 20, 2007 at 05:28 AM · for this site "Dichali" - Speaks a lot fits quite well :)

February 20, 2007 at 06:39 AM · McWilliam--he who senses scams, without words and responds accordingly.

February 20, 2007 at 04:38 PM · I strongly suggest he should be named Corelli (or if you like it with a K) after the movie captain corellis mandolin, although this guy plays a violin, but my guess is that he plays on a fine Italian violin so why not?!

Kokopelli Corelli or Captain Korelli Kokopelli..., so what do you think? ... I just really want a T-shirt!

February 21, 2007 at 12:51 AM · Vio is becoming more and more reasonable.

February 21, 2007 at 01:36 AM · Greetings,

smelli corelli of the concave belli?

Puzzled,

Burp

February 21, 2007 at 04:55 AM · I'm astonished you didn't vote for Prunelli--or maybe Buri, is a good name.

February 21, 2007 at 05:54 PM · What about vio com?

February 22, 2007 at 04:09 AM · Come up with a good (genuine) name for Laurie's birthday.

February 25, 2007 at 06:58 AM · As each note sounds, and each chord pounds, the Kokopelli icon descends further and further into the dismal realities of non-existence, simply by virtue of remaining nameless.

Day after day, he fiddles elegantly as we theorize, and completely ignore the wisdom of Confucius: "the worst thing, is to know what is right and do nothing".

If he lacked a coat, would you clothe him? If he were hungry, would you feed him? If he were tired, would any of you fair maidens give comfort and solace to his retiring lockes?

Some day, like the photos in "Back to the Future", his image will fade further and further into oblivion, because we, we sensitive musicians who feast with the Gods, could not do something as simple as give him nomen!.

I think I'll play a sad song.

February 25, 2007 at 06:07 AM · Is a rose a rose by any other name?

February 25, 2007 at 06:59 AM · Indeed--a rose.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Los Angeles Philharmonic
Los Angeles Philharmonic