What's your orchestra's repertoire?

February 9, 2007 at 06:39 AM · So, what are you playing currently in your orchestra? What's the program for the next concert?.. The year?

This year, Sydney Youth Orchestra is playing:

March Concert: Westlake Percussion Concerto, Mozart Magic Flute Overture, Stravinsky Firebird Suite (1919) and Beethoven Symphony 3.

June: Dvorak Carnical Overture, Shostakovich Symphony No 12

September: Hindemith Symphonic Metamorphosis, Brahms Symphony 3

December: Mahler Symphony 5, and a Concerto from the concerto competition winner.

I'm really happy I got moved into desk 4 of first violins from concertmaster of the orchestra below last year. YAY.

So - tell me your orchestra's repertoire!

Replies (49)

February 9, 2007 at 11:09 AM · Hi,

I am a professional so the list is really long. However, that said, you must be in a very good youth orchestra. That's a pretty impressive list of stuff and some pretty tough programs!

Cheers!

February 10, 2007 at 11:43 PM · I'm really happy with our repertoire though - the Artistic Director told us they chose these pieces to give us exposure to some of the standard/expected repertoire for those of us who want to continue on as professional orchestral musicians, which I think is a great idea rather than giving ensembles dumbed down versions of pieces, or more "simple" works.

If you guys all have a huge repertoire, how about just for the upcoming concert?

Em

February 11, 2007 at 12:12 AM · Greetings,

never let Albert play ther Carnical Overture. Too close to the knuckle.

Next few weeks:

1) 1812 and Itlaian Opera.

2)Dvorak New World

3) Borodin 2

Haydn London Symphony.

The Impressario. Rosamunde.

Mahler 5. Mozart cocnerto 3.

Dvorak 8. Beethoven 9.

Kind of ordinary I suppose....:

Cheer,s

Buri

February 11, 2007 at 01:45 AM · Our Youth orchestra has our first concert in May, and so far our repertoire is Shostakovich Festival Overture and Rimsky-Korsakov Scheherazade. Scheherazade will be a bit of a work out, but for different reasons than the Shostakovich (taking it very fast).

I am pretty sure we should be adding in an extra piece, but we haven't been told yet. That program seems too short for a concert.

Not sure what the programs will be for the outher seasons. I know that we will most likely do a performance of Peter and the Wolf in July, but apart from that, no idea.

February 11, 2007 at 02:02 AM · coming soon:Vivaldi's 4 Seasons, Beethoven 5, Ellington: Black, Brown & Beige.

February 11, 2007 at 07:50 AM · For the concert this March:

Haydn 101st Symphony

Bach’s Fugue in G minor

March Militaire Francaise

Intro to Act II from the Opera Lohengrin

Belle of the Ball

February 11, 2007 at 04:54 PM · So far this year for the Finger Lakes Symphony Orchestra (split up by concerts)

1. Bethoveen 1st symphony

2. Russlan and Lumilla

3. The Carmen Suite

4. The whole Nutcracker suite

5. Radetzky March

6. Voices of Spring

7. Thunder and Lightning Polka

8. Blue Danube

9. Blue Tango

10. Tick Tack Polka

11. Emperor Waltz

12. Wiener Blut

13. Unchained Melody

14. Roses of the south

15. Champange Polka

16. Trish-trasch Polka

17. Wein, Weib und gesang

18. Tales from Vienna woods

19. Moon River

20. The Broadway Musical Once upon a Mattress (not for the flso, for another orchestra I play with).

The April concert (With the Young Artist competition is to be annouced within the next 2 weeks.)

Other Music

Not for orchestra.

But Here is a list of music I am required to know for a marching band.

For school,

1. Mulan

2. We need a little christmas

3. Avantia

4. Gallant Marines

5. Concerto for flute

6. Mozarts Concerto for clarinet.

February 12, 2007 at 04:14 AM · well, a lot of stuff. but what i'm most looking forward to:

Mahler 1

Brahms 4

Berenstein West Side Story Symphonic Dances

Brahms violin concerto

And what I really enjoyed playing in the fall:

Mahler G Major (Schoenberg reduction)

Dvorak F Major

Rachmaninoff c minor piano concerto

February 12, 2007 at 12:11 PM · Sheffield Symphony Orchestra's next concert will be at the end of March and the programme is:

Schumann - Symphony no. 1 'Spring'

Bach-Stokowski - Passacaglia and Fugue in C minor

Stravinsky - Rite of Spring

And all that on just 8 rehearsals! I'm a little bit scared........

February 12, 2007 at 09:09 PM · Oh, we did the Rite of Spring last year! I love playing that piece.

Our youth orchestra has 8 rehearsals for each of its concerts - it would be much better with more time to rehearse!

But then you think about all the top level professional musicians playing in concerts most nights with rehearsals all day and maybe some teaching on the side... it's a whole different world ...

February 12, 2007 at 10:07 PM · As one of the best amateur bands in the UK, the BPO gets through some good repertoire - next weekend we're doing Elgar 2 for example, then in the summer Don Juan, Death and T, Firebird, so I'll play violin in that, viola in the Elgar*. It's nice to have the chance to work on the pieces too, time permitting, and make a good job of it, instead of a couple of days up to the concert.

* I did play through the 1st violin part at the first rehearsal, it's a real swine, non-standard patterns and octave leaps, so I'm saving quite a few hours' work here.

February 12, 2007 at 10:11 PM · The orchestra at my university rehearses very little. We would get together about 2 weeks out from the concert date for our first rehearsal, and then have rehearsals every night for a week leading up to the concert. Gives us about 8 rehearsals. I much prefer that method of rehearsals than the "One rehearsal every week for 20 weeks" model that we've got in my Youth Orchestra. My university orchestra concerts generally are fresher, the rehearsals we have are more efficient (because we know we don't have all that many), and it gives us more free time.

That being said, my Youth Orchestra have put in an extra season this year in the middle of the year when everyone's on holidays, in which we'll rehearse from 10-4pm for 5 days and then do a concert. It'll be interesting to see how the orchestra performs in that situation.

February 13, 2007 at 02:04 AM · I hear you Ben, The Finger Lakes Symphony gets together every week for 2 hours a week. But we only have 4-5 weeks to rehearse for concerts. Plus for the summer pops concerts (about 4 concerts) there are only 2 rehearsals of 2 hours. Lots and Lots of practice.

February 22, 2007 at 01:03 AM · My next freeway phil concert includes Sibelius' Valse Triste, the Rossini Bassoon concerto, Shosti 5, and something called Sensemaya by Revueltas. Rehearsal tonight.

I'd better get my ibuprofen ready. Heh.

February 24, 2007 at 12:44 AM · This half year I play in 5 orchestra’s every week

Mondayeveningorchestra: Stravinsky firebird, Milhaud, violaconcerto; Satie, Parade; Ron Ford, special written composition for us called PS4PT

Tuesdayeveningorchestra: Glauzunov violinconcerto, Elgar Enigma variations, Rimsky Korsakov Legend of the invisible city of Kitesch

Wednesdayeveningorchestra: Richard Wagner , Ouverture “Tannhäuser”; Sergei Prokevjev , violinconcerto no.1 ;Maurice Ravel ,Pavane pour une infante défunte ; Paul Hindemith , Symphonic Metamorphosen

Thursdayeveningorchestra : Albert Roussel Concert ,Antonin Reicha symfony F-Dur 1808, Berlioz Summer nights

Weekendprojectorchestra : C. Debussy: 'Prélude à l'après-midi d'un faune' ; E. Chausson, Poème ; M. Ravel: Tzigane ; A. Bruckner: Symfony nr. 9

But I got a mail from an mondayeveningorchestra that they gonna play the 98 th symfony of

Haydn and THE RARE 1TH VIOLINCONCERTO OF SAINT-SAENS(not the 3th, I have played it 3 times as 2th violinist).

What must I do?: playing the Firebird of Stravinsky and violaconcerto of Milhaud in the famous Concertgebouwhall or play the rare 1th Saint-Saens violinconcerto with another orchestra, as rare violinconcertofreak?

Sometimes life is hard to make the right decisions.

February 24, 2007 at 12:50 AM · Greetings,

play the Sauint seans and Haydn. You can mime along ot a recording of the Firebird anytime and the Milhaud is not that interesting.

Cheers,

\Buri

February 24, 2007 at 01:11 AM · With Stamitz-Orchester Mannheim

Débussy Prélude à L'après-midi d'un faune

Saint-Saens Cello concerto op.33

Brahms #4

February 24, 2007 at 01:16 AM · Hey the DC Youth Orchestra is playing all Bizet:

Carmen Suite

Bizet Symphony

Peter and the Wolf

February 24, 2007 at 03:42 AM · Faure "Dolly"

J.C. Bach "La Calamita"

Mozart # 34

February 24, 2007 at 09:55 AM · Beauty and the Beast!

Only five shows left, so hurry and get yourself a ticket while they last!

(tremelo)

February 24, 2007 at 02:41 PM · Next week my orchestra will be playing with our beloved guest conductor from Poland, Piotr Sulkowski, and he's brought with him an amazing piece by Wojciech Kilar called "Orawa". It's sort of minimalist, sort of folk-y, very Polish, and absolutely fantastic. We're also doing Liszt piano concerto #1 and Tchaik 6, so it's going to be a damn good concert....

February 24, 2007 at 03:58 PM · Performing #2 on this page today

http://www.verdevalleysinfonietta.org/2006-2007%20SEASON.htm

Eric

May 4, 2008 at 05:55 AM · Were currently playing Mahler's 6th Symphony. It's great!

May 4, 2008 at 10:03 AM · Emily! A pupil of mine (living here in Scotland at the moment, returning to Australia next month) plays with SYO, I'll tell her the upcoming program, sounds great!

May 4, 2008 at 05:38 PM · Oops Jonathan, that was last year.

May 5, 2008 at 12:16 AM · Carnival of the Animals and Hadyn No 100 (my first concert!)

May 5, 2008 at 09:51 PM · Western Australian youth Orchestra this year is playing Bernstein Symphonic Dances from Westside Story, Cappricio Italien by Tchaikovsky and Symphony Espagnole by Ravel for our concert in May. In July we're doing an all-Russian program including Pictures at an Exhibition with Russian Maestro Vladimir Verbitsky :>

May 5, 2008 at 10:12 PM · Ah, wrapping up our year hear at u. of Evansville, this year the symphony's programs included:

1. Billy the Kid

2. Carmen Suites 1&2

3. Finlandia

4. Stravinksy Suite 2

5. Aida

6. weber clarinet concerto

7. An English Experience (written for the orch by an alum)

8. a march by korsakov, don't know the name since I don't speak Russian..it's in 3. :)

--Grainger and Elgar in the string orchestra too :)

a fun year

May 5, 2008 at 11:29 PM · CYCO spring repertoire was:

1. Finlandia, Sibelius.

2. Concerto Grosso Op. 3 nr. 8, Vivaldi.

3. Lieutenant Kije Suite, Prokofiev.

4. Overture to Die Meistersingers der Nurnberg, Wagner.

5. Cello Concerto, Lalo.

CYSO:

1. Daphnis et Chloe, Ravel.

2. Finlandia, Sibelius.

3. Violin concerto, Tchaikovsky.

4. Pictures at an Exhibition, Mussourgsky.

May 6, 2008 at 07:32 AM · Ben, I just spotted Vladimir Verbitsky's name in your post, he's one of my favourite conductors. Brings back a good memory of playing Rachmaninov's Symphonic Dances under him with the Auckland Phil. I'm sure you'll really enjoy your July concert with Maestro Verbitsky.

May 8, 2008 at 02:32 PM · I play in a local college orchestra.

Last semester:

Bloch Schelomo (Cello Concerto)

Brahms Symphony Nr.2

Lieberman Flute Concerto

Mussorgsky Night on Bald Mountain

Milhaud...I forgot the name

And then a christmas-sounding piece that I forgot!!

Strauss Rosenkavalier

This semester:

Beethoven Egmont Overture

Wagner Prelude to Die Meistersingers

Stravinsky Petrushka

Gounod Ballet Music

Griffes Poem (Flute Concerto)

Trumpet Concerto...by someone

Puccini Musetta's Waltz from La Boehme

Bernstein Glitter and Be Gay

Mozart two arias from The Marriage of Figaro

Gounod Damnation of Faust

Donizetti An aria from something

And for All-State Orchestra:

Wagner Overture to Rienzi

Holst Mars and Jupiter from the Planets

And for some random youth orchestra:

Wagner Prelude to Die Meistersingers

Faure Pelleas and Melisande

Williams Summon the Heros

Rimsky-Korsakov Capriccio Espanol

That's about all I've done this year.

May 8, 2008 at 05:49 PM · Chesapeake Youth Symphony Orchestra! Here is what we are playing:

-Die Miestersinger, Wagner

-Pirates of the Caribbean

Its an abbrevited concert, but we just recently had a concert where we played:

-Romeo & Juliet Fantasy-Overture, Tchaikovsky

-Academic Festival Overture, Brahms

-Requiem, Faure (w/boychoir)

-The Magic Flute (one piece), Mozart (w/boychoir)

-Spring, Vivaldi

May 8, 2008 at 09:52 PM · Last three concerts of the UISO were:

Mahler 2nd

Vaughn-Williams Sea Symphony

Mendelssohn Midsummer Night's Dream Overture

Miraculous Mandarin

Rachmaninoff 2nd Symphony

August 6, 2008 at 10:57 PM · my teacher at school wants to do serenade for strings in the spring.

August 18, 2008 at 01:23 PM · Well seeing as this thread is still going:

SYO this year is:

1)SIBELIUS Finlandia

SIBELIUS Lemminkäinen Suite: The Swan of Tuonela

TCHAIKOVSKY Symphony No.6 ‘Pathétique

2)STRAVINSKY Symphonies d’instruments à vents

HINDEMITH Symphony in Bb

BRITTEN Lachrymae

SHOSTAKOVICH arr. BARSHAI Chamber Symphony (Op 110a)

3)STRAUSS, R. Tod und Verklärung (Death and Transfiguration)

STRAUSS, R. Horn Concerto No.1

RAVEL Concerto for Piano (left hand)

SIBELIUS Tapiola

4)BRITTEN Young Person’s Guide to the Orchestra (Variations and Fugue on a Theme of Purcell)

STANHOPE Fantasia on a Theme by Vaughan Williams

RACHMANINOV Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini

WALTON Variations on a Theme by Hindemith

And my university orchestra - I forget what we played last semester, but this semester is:

DVORAK Symphony 8

GLAZOUNOV Saxophone Concerto and

BERNSTEIN Candide Overture

Plus I'm going to play the violin solo in the Mozart Symphony Concertante KV364 in a concert in September.

August 18, 2008 at 01:55 PM · Pictures from an Exhibition seems to be popular this year. I played it in the spring and will be playing it again in the fall, and I heard the CSO is opening with it.

August 18, 2008 at 11:36 PM · This fall, the Univ. of San Diego Symphony where my son is a member is performing Te Deum by Bruckner, Beethoven's Emperor Concerto, the entire New World Symphony, and The Messiah. My son's never done any of these except the Messiah, so it should be fun for him.

August 19, 2008 at 12:24 AM · at U. of Evansville (IN) The program for the Fall Concert will include Hungarian Dance No. 3 in F Major by Brahms, Lieder eines fahrenden Gesellen (Songs of Wayfarer) by Mahler with Dr. Jon Truitt, Baritone, and Variations on a theme of Joseph Haydn, op. 56a by Brahms. It should be fun, I love the Mahler, we played it while I was playing with the Earlham College Orch. in high school. :)

August 19, 2008 at 01:36 AM · Our new St. Louis Civic Orchestra is playing Dvorak's Violin Concerto and 9th.Symphony and Smetena's Moldau for their first concert.

August 19, 2008 at 08:23 AM · A lot of Russian stuff on the first concert of the season, like Shostakovich's Festive Overture and Stravinsky's Firebird Suite.

In October, I'm playing Appalachian Spring, the piece I've dreamed of playing all my life. I don't know what I'll do after it's over, since after that my life will be complete. :)

November 21, 2008 at 11:48 PM ·

My orchestra is playing Mahler symphony 1, carols for orchestra and choir and concerto grosso by vaughn williams in the two remaining concerts of the 2008 year.

November 23, 2008 at 06:35 AM ·

In the Luther College Symphony Orchestra, we just did New World, Three Cornered Hat and Quiet City.  Currently, we're getting ready for Christmast Luther and doing Haydn Gloria (dm mass), two pieces from Messiah, Farandole, randome carols, Dona Nobis from Vaughn-Williams, I Saw Three Ships, I Was Glad and there's more but there's so much I can't remember everything.  For tour, we're doing Scheherazade, Mendelssohn Vln Cncrt and perhaps an overture.  We'll end the year with Ein Deutches Requiem.  For Chamber Orchestra, we just did Sigfried Idyll, Dvorak Wind Seranade and new piece for strings and piano, Verdant Twilight.  Next, we might be doing Mozart g-minor Symphony...and that's all I know, our conductor hasn't quite picked a program yet, haha.

November 23, 2008 at 12:30 PM ·

I play in Rice University's non-major orchestra called Campanile. It is a town and gown orchestra but lately almost all students. Tonight we perform Meistersinger Overture and Mendelssohn's Reformation Symphony.

November 23, 2008 at 07:59 PM ·

ESYO just performed:

Liszt Piano Concerto No 1

Brahms Symphony No 2

New Era Dance - Aaron Jay Kearnis

Blue Cathedral - Joan Higdon

November 24, 2008 at 08:25 AM ·

Another professional here.  What we've already played this season:

Strauss - Alpine Symphony

Rachmaninov - Symphony #2

Sibelius - Symphony #2

Schubert - Symphony #7, 8 or 9 depending on your numbering system.  "The Great" C major, anyway.  Just finished with this this afternoon - lots of sore wrists & shoulders in Spokane tonight.

Violin-centrically, we've had the Bruch #1 (Elaina Vahalaa - sp???) and Stravinsky (Stefan Jackiw) so far.

November 24, 2008 at 01:24 PM ·

Last night we (www.perthsymphonyorchestra.org.uk) performed: Verdi Nabucco Overture, Butterworth Shropshire Lad, Marcello Oboe Concerto, Eroica symphony.  Future and past programmes listed on the web site at the 'Concerts' link!

November 25, 2008 at 06:13 AM ·

How about a holiday concert for a first concert? I'm having my youth orchestra perform:

Antonio Vivaldi - La Tempesta di Mare
Niels Gade - Der Kinder Christabend
W.A. Mozart - Der Holle Rache from "The Magic Flute"
Paul Hindemith - Tuttifantchen Suite

Yes, no santa tunes, really. ;)

November 25, 2008 at 06:32 AM ·

Greetings,

I dunno. The Vivaldi is more or less an anagram of `dial me a present`....

Cheers,

Buri

November 25, 2008 at 07:42 AM ·

Just finished Beethoven's 5th, Hummel Trumpet Concerto, Sibelius Finlandia.

2 more concertos to go before the end of the year.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Los Angeles Philharmonic
Los Angeles Philharmonic