Caspar da Salo

February 8, 2007 at 06:26 AM · I have a Caspar da Salo in Brescia 1595 and I am wondering if anyone has any information on how much it is worth.

Replies (28)

February 8, 2007 at 07:16 AM · It's worth 5 - 10 million dollars. I hope you didn't pay more.

February 8, 2007 at 06:43 PM · don't we all wish we own that million dollar violin? or accidentally bought one off ebay for $100?

I wonder how does one tell which one is fake and which is real without going to a luthier? are there certain characteristic on the scroll, f hole, button, peg box, etc. that can distinguish a priceless violin from a paperweight?

February 8, 2007 at 06:59 PM · Hi,

I would go to a reputable dealer and see if the violin is the real deal (could be a fake label or copy). That said, I think the price tag on Gaspar da Salo instruments is in the 500K to 1 million category - Gennady would know this better than me.

That said, only someone qualified can authenticate the instrument, its value or other matters.

Cheers!

February 8, 2007 at 11:59 PM · do we have any luthier around here that can provide some guidance?

February 9, 2007 at 05:54 AM · You don't need an expert for the first phase of guidance here.

Usually in situations like this (apparently) is, when someone says they have a violin by a famous maker it's not one.

There are several sites on the web which discuss the "Stradivari in the attic" situation, this is the same sort of thing.

If Mr. Burk would like to take this a step further he can tell us what makes him say it's a Da Salo--if it's the label the answer is: labels don't really mean anything. If Mr. Burk would like to post a few pictures someone may be able to tell him approximately what he is (and is not) in possession of. :-)

Ah, the subject has come up before I see: http://www.violinist.com/discussion/response.cfm?ID=6637

February 9, 2007 at 06:02 AM · Here is one I'm eyeing.

joh. bapt. schweitzer, feeit at foreman

hieronymi amati pestini 1821 made in germany

Also there is a repair label in it

Repaired by Fred W Somner 10/22/1913

violin maker

fort worth TX

There's a signature under the button, which kinda make me think it's "real" but I highly doubt it... What does everyone think??

He's taking it to a luthier to appraise it and so there goes my chance of getting it for next to nothing if it's "real"

here are a lot of pics. for those who are more knowledgable.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v205/snowball_2020/violin/

February 9, 2007 at 06:14 AM · The most common fake Schweitzer label is 1813, but you don't need to know that because nothing made before about 1895 would be labeled "Made in Germany".

February 9, 2007 at 02:18 PM · "The most common fake Schweitzer label is 1813, but you don't need to know that because nothing made before about 1895 would be labeled "Made in Germany".

Hi Michael,

can you elaborate on this? What do you mean nothing made before 1895 would be labeled as "Made in Germany"?

I saw several Schweitzer 1813 on ebay for about $100 that was resently sold. so you are right about the 1813 label. any thoughts on my 1821?

February 9, 2007 at 02:32 PM · The "Made in Germany" label is a US Customs requirement that was instituted in the 1890s--before that there was no reason to include that, and the concept hadn't even been thought of. If the Germans had been doing it on their own account, they certainly wouldn't have done it in English!

Here's an article about the British law--a bit later the Americans did the same:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Made_in_Germany

February 9, 2007 at 06:16 PM · that is a VERY IMPORTANT piece of information!! Thank you so much!

April 27, 2012 at 03:53 PM · I have one but I'm not sure if it's authentic. this link ( http://yardsale-101.blogspot.com/2012/01/caspar-da-salo-in-brescia-1586.html) can view photos and video of the interior (caspar give mark salo). I have no information of its origin. it is part of an inheritance from a relative.

April 27, 2012 at 04:00 PM · @Filipe. In my opinion it is a German trade fiddle made around 1900. Worth maybe £500.

Cheers Carlo

April 27, 2012 at 07:10 PM · Michael's point is a good one about made in Germany. However, there is another one which is equally telling. Germany did not exist as a nation until the 1860s or so. It was a collection of kingdoms, the largest of which was Prussia. So, it is not likely that an 1813 violin would have a label saying made in Germany.

April 28, 2012 at 07:09 AM · I have a Gaspar da Salo made in 1695 if I remember correctly. It's a big fiddle - nearly 8mm bigger than average. Nice sound. Has a date carved in the back - very small and lovely - of 1841. I'll accept £1 million for it - buyer pays postage ...

April 28, 2012 at 07:46 AM · Only if she's under 35 ...

June 13, 2012 at 03:02 AM · My ansistors all played the Violin and were very fond of it.Just recently i opened an old trunk which was kept in the loft and found a very old Voilin in it.When i checked it up it was a Casper da sale in Brescia,1552.It requires repairs,as the neck is seperated from the box.How Can i know if its Original and what must be its value.I live in Bombay and is there is anyone who can repair it.

Thankyou,

Leyland Dias

June 13, 2012 at 03:38 AM · 1552? Then it must be his first ever made violin :)

June 13, 2012 at 06:21 AM · @Leyland. Almost certainly a fake but post some photos, or a link to photos, and we'll let you know.

Cheers Carlo

June 13, 2012 at 09:41 PM · Hello Mattias Eklund,&Carlo Ballara,&John Cadd,

Thanks for the interest taken reguarding my Violin

Send me a test mail and i will send all three of you photos of my Violin so that you all can get an idea of it.Thankyou,

Leyland Dias

June 14, 2012 at 12:10 PM · @Leyland. You can send us email through this website. I never give out my email on a public forum. You would be wise to remove your email from the previous post as you will get hit with spam. I know this the hard way.

Cheers Carlo

June 14, 2012 at 05:58 PM · Wasn't Caspar da Salo the friendly ghost of Gaspar da Salo?

June 14, 2012 at 06:28 PM · No...that Casper was spelled with an 'e' and didn't have a last name, at least not one he shared with anyone...

Unless there are a herd of friendly ghosts out there...then maybe! ;)

June 16, 2012 at 01:03 AM · John is right about them (at least some of them) playing well, even if not the "genuine article". My teacher has one -- I'm reasonably sure a copy -- and it's a totally lovely violin -- in looks and "voice". That double-row of purfling is quite an eye-catcher! :)

June 16, 2012 at 05:41 AM · Maggini violins have gone somewhat out of fashion. There were many soloists using them in the late 19th Century who liked the darker, warmer, almost viola like sound.

Priceless? No. From about $300K for an original Maggini in mint condition.

Cheers Carlo

June 16, 2012 at 05:58 AM · I tried a da Salo violin and a viola. Great sounding instruments. They have very high arching typical of the Brescian school and also similar to my Andrea Amati (who was inspired by da Salo in someways).

I recall the da Salo viola I played on sold for well over 7 figures at auction.

June 19, 2012 at 12:38 PM · "Strange that the word Fecit sounds exactly the same as Fake it."

Like the Praeneste fibula, an object that has a history similar to that of Le Messie. This has nothing to do with violins, except that it involves a very old artifact of suspicious provenance. If you're interested, copy these into your browser and be sure to read the inscription on the fibula.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Praeneste_fibula

http://ancientstudies.fas.nyu.edu/docs/CP/963/EtruscanNewsVol14_2012_winter.pdf

Notwithstanding the "scientific" evidence, I still have my doubts. Helbig supposedly knew English, and maybe he had a sense of humor, too.

July 3, 2012 at 05:57 PM · http://yardsale-101.blogspot.com/2012/01/caspar-da-salo-in-brescia-1586.html

violin for sale, is in the north of Bogotá, Colombia, if anyone is interested in seeing it, and maybe buy it at a good price. If anyone is interested but can not come by, it could arrange a shipment (DHL) and a rotation by western union service. I would like the buyer will take good music, because I do not play.

Mail: amoeldinero@yahoo.es

March 6, 2014 at 09:20 AM · A practise that was also followed by Maggini. No year of manufacture. Yours is probably a copy with the wrong label.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Los Angeles Philharmonic
Los Angeles Philharmonic