Classic Looney Tunes: Enjoy!

January 27, 2007 at 11:44 PM · Two classics:

Hillbilly Hare

Rabbit of Seville

These cartoons were a great influence. Thank you, Mel Blanc!

Replies (23)

January 28, 2007 at 12:49 AM · Thanks Bill! Haven't seen these since I was about six. Let's not say how long that was ago, but it was rather before I ever played the the Barber of Seville on the violin!

January 28, 2007 at 01:32 AM · In the first one, I noticed the line that starts "Chicken in the breadpan..." at about 4:45. It's a frequently seen line, and I did a little bit of research on it once. The first appearance I found was the Skillet Lickers' version of Soldiers Joy from about 1930, sung by blind guitarist Riley Puckett. Interestingly, the suave tune playing while Bugs is in drag is an arrangement of that tune. The cartoon is from 1950. link to Skillet Lickers recording

January 28, 2007 at 01:41 AM · this one started lang lang on piano.

January 28, 2007 at 01:45 AM · ...........

January 28, 2007 at 01:58 AM · They are great, nevertheless let's not forget other musical Great American contributions:

DixieLand

Swing

Jazz

Soul (Motown)

R & B

Be-Bop

Rock N' Roll

Rap

how about non musical contributions?

Electric Light

Radio

Phonograph

Telegraph

Jeans

Coca-Cola

Airplane

Sewing Machine

Zipper

Movies

Interntet

and that's just to name a few.

January 28, 2007 at 02:42 AM · Robert found this one:

What's Opera, Doc?

January 28, 2007 at 03:21 AM · My students in the Intermediate level Youth Orchestra have been working on their arrangement of "Barber of Seville", and they all know it, and love it, because of "Rabbit of Seville". It is nice to know the young people still enjoy such great classic cartoons.

Gee, and I still know all the words to "What's Opera Doc".

Bugs does seem to like women's clothes!

This is fun!

January 28, 2007 at 12:19 PM · I was going to mention "What's Opera, Doc?", but it's already been said. :)

Neil

January 28, 2007 at 03:08 PM · My dad would see the Looney Tune/Merry Melody cartoons as preludes to movies he saw in the army (hence some of the humor). Those cartoons were my first introduction to classical music. There is real art in timing all of those musical tidbits to the exact motions of the characters. Remember the lame musical backgrounds for the smurfs? No matter what happened, the opening of the Unfinished Symphony was always in the background. We have a DVD set of Warner Brothers cartoons that has all of the musical cartoons on a DVD. My favorite is "The Three Little Bops"-the wolf is too "square" to play jazz with the three little pigs and eventually ends up down below after trying to explode one of the pigs' jazz clubs. He reappears, finally knowing how to play "hot".

January 28, 2007 at 05:34 PM · Those Looney Tunes were classics and did indeed introduce classical music to people who might not have been exposed to it otherwise. And they're still funny. They are, indeed, great works of art.

Sandy

January 29, 2007 at 05:42 AM · Our kids, ages 6 and 9, had never seen them...they were literally rolling on the floor, laughing!

January 29, 2007 at 05:20 PM · Oh thanks for reminding me of these! an long live youtube and its posters!

My own favorite was a TOM & JERRY with Tom singing Figaro.

The Cat Above and the Mouse Below

January 29, 2007 at 11:09 AM · Sorry, just realised that it had already been posted under a different name.

But for those of you who didn't get any childhood animation from the "Communist block", these cartoons from former Czechoslovakia were absolutely charming.

They are still among my kids favorites. The spoken words are few and not essential and the music is always lovely; my children used to love to try and identify the different instruments/rhythms/etc. of the background score.

The Mole and Music

The Mole and Carnival

The Mole and the Weekend

If you like them, search for more under "Krtek".

January 29, 2007 at 07:47 PM · "Must shoot rabbit for make benefit glorious people's republic of Chechoslovakia."

"Da. And capitalist pig is next."

January 30, 2007 at 07:16 AM · Jim, don't know about that!

Just that we had a lot of animation other than from the US (I suspect because it was much cheaper for our TV to buy!!)

but there was some good stuff being produced, especially in CZ.

As I said, I tried Krtek on my own kids and it is still one of their favourites: they are now 14 and 12 (the kids, I mean) and the other day a Czech friend lent them some new (old) ones, and they were glued to them! And are very aware of the background score.

btw, they also like the Looney Tunes etc. very much.

January 30, 2007 at 10:05 AM · I was kidding. I was impressed by how gentle they were and the charming slightly foreign sense of humor. It reminds me in some ways of things they were doing with "claymation" here at that time. Most Americans old enough to remember the communist bloc remember it like in this commercial. With just a few exceptions it's the only kind of impression we got. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIAOHS9l1Xc

One of the coolest commercials ever was another Radio Free Europe commercial where there's a radio announcer speaking in a foreign language in a little studio in the background, introducing a record, with the same sort of voice over as this commercial. At the end, the sound comes up and the radio announcer says "On Broadvey" and he starts that record, which goes "They say the neon lights are bright on Broadway, they say there's always magic in the air." That's a good commercial.

January 30, 2007 at 10:20 AM · Jim, I know you were:) and it was a good title too:))

Thanks for the link, verrry interesting.

Of course there was a lot of awful stuff too. In fact, most of it was probably given away free!

It was quite enriching: you would go to bookshops and buy -in my case mostly Enid Blytons- at that age, often published in special Indian editions (much cheaper) and then you would have "book fairs" in schools, where you could get an amazing variety of Russian folk tales but also novels, at very low prices.

I suppose we ended up with a pretty good library with in the end!

January 31, 2007 at 06:23 AM · I was trying to find a copy of the On Broadway commercial. Not yet, but there's a surprising amount written about it. It's stuck in peoples' heads. Here's a better description of it. --> link Also, the correct version of the song --> link

February 1, 2007 at 01:16 AM · I'm so disappointed! They took the old rabbit videos off of Google UTube. It's been a LONG time since I saw them last. Hate to have missed them. However.. I'm sure it was a copyright issue.

Back to fiddling. :)

K.

February 3, 2007 at 03:43 AM · Nuts! Those cheapskates.

"This video has been removed at the request of copyright owner Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc. because its content was used without permission."

February 5, 2007 at 07:35 PM · More good stuff! I remembered these vaguely but it took time to track them down

Tom & Jerry - The Cat Concerto

and the really old human Tom & Jerry at the piano,

Piano Tooners - Tom & Jerry

also Pots & Pans

Tom & Jerry - Pots & Pans

February 10, 2007 at 06:25 AM · I'm glad I got to see Rabbit of Seville before it got taken down. I think that one's my all-time favourite cartoon.

Here's A Corny Concerto.

April 16, 2007 at 03:55 PM · Allegro non troppo (1979) feat. Valse triste & an unknown cat.

A sad one. :(

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Los Angeles Philharmonic
Los Angeles Philharmonic