Colts vs. Bears!

January 22, 2007 at 05:31 AM · In spring 1984, Robert and a classmate drove to an I-465 overpass in Indianapolis and watched a convoy of Mayflower vans bringing the Colts football team to Indianapolis from Baltimore. After 23 years of ardent fanhood, he is finally seeing his team go to the Super Bowl for the first time. Go Colts!

Replies (32)

January 22, 2007 at 05:41 AM · I was going for Payton and Indy! I actually predicted that it would be New Orleans and New England in the Superbowl...show's what I know!

January 22, 2007 at 05:46 AM · Great, so much for the Boston-Chicago matchup I was eagerly awaiting....ehh, who needs American football anyway.

January 22, 2007 at 05:57 AM · Hey, don't be knocking Football.

January 22, 2007 at 06:33 AM · Go Chicago Bears!

January 22, 2007 at 09:42 AM · Last superbowl, I was over at my mates, watching the game, drinking american beer and american sausages etc. Sounds standard? You might forget that I'm in Australia - I had my first beer at 6am...

Great fun!

January 22, 2007 at 12:33 PM · As a life-long Chicagoan, GO BEARS! But what a great matchup. It's a shame that one of the teams has to lose.

Just as an aesthetic exercise, if the respective quarterbacks were violinists, who would they be?

Payton Manning?....

Rex Grossman?......

Sandy

January 22, 2007 at 06:49 PM · Hey Laurie!

Remember us freshman arriving at Northwestern the fall after the Bears won their last Super Bowl? Ditka, the FRIG, MacMahon's headbands, Super Bowl Shuffle, etc. Yikes, that was a long time ago!

My wife is from Arlington Heights and her brother was at Sunday's game. Her whole family is going nuts right now. I can only imagine what's going on at NU.

(I'm in my final preparations for my final DMA recital--tomorrow!--then I'm DONE!!!)

Hope you are well!

-Pete

January 22, 2007 at 07:13 PM · Well, if it can't be the Broncos--go Colts!. Ben, I hope you had your coffee first--might as well go for the high-ball effect!.

January 22, 2007 at 08:07 PM · i was at sunday's wynton marsalis concert with the chicago symphony. it was a crazed crowd (for marsalis of course, but the electricity was in the air - thanks to the bears).

for those in the audience who were twittling their thumbs, waiting to run to the nearest radio or TV to find out the result of the bears game - there was no need whatsoever.

the conductor (steve sloane), after exiting the stage following what seemed like the final bow, runs suddenly back on stage, wearing a bears jersey! he led the orchestra and the wynton marsalis band through a rousing, americana encore in salute to the bears.

it was like a rock concert. very great to see.

go bears!!!!!

January 22, 2007 at 08:48 PM · go colts!

January 22, 2007 at 09:38 PM · Go Rams.

Oops, they're watching this on their TV sets too.

January 22, 2007 at 11:57 PM · Go Liverpool FC!!

...whoops, sorry, wrong kind of football. ;-)

January 23, 2007 at 12:09 AM · You're so Euro. Cute, but Euro.

January 23, 2007 at 12:22 AM · Köszönöm nagyon szépen!! Thank you very much! That's a very nice compliment (even though I know you didn't mean it that way haha)

January 23, 2007 at 04:31 AM · GO COLTS!!! YAY!

January 23, 2007 at 02:38 PM · Bear Down, Chicago Bears!!! Da da dun da da dun da, dun da da... (who actually knows those words).

Bears

Dit-ka

Saaasage

January 23, 2007 at 06:39 PM · I don't know da wordss to Bear Down Chicago Bearss (cause memory ain't my best subjec), but youse guys know dat da Bearss is da best, specially if you watch da game wit a cold beer and a Polish sausage and brats and a deep dish. Specially if you get der early on da "L".

And Dikka iss da best, but dis udder guy we got now iss good, too. GO BEARSSS!!!

And also, da Bearss is great, and dey can even play a Stradavarusss and a Guarnerusss like da great Yasch and Natey Milsberg and Oystrack and dat new kid (wasser name? Hilary Rodham Hahn?).

Cause da Bearss can play anyting in any orchestra stadium, and dey alwayss winyowski, wedder it's football or Brahmsss.

January 23, 2007 at 07:22 PM · LOL Sander! I was in Chicago recently and honestly, that town is sooooo Polish. :) I love it.

January 24, 2007 at 04:07 PM · Hi, Maura: Thanks, but as my wife would say, "Don't encourage him."

Regards, Sandy

January 24, 2007 at 06:01 PM · From: Skowronski: Classical Recordings

Back in the late 1960s, a young James Irsay, Jr. was known to have studied the violin with Mr. Vincent Skowronski. As the years passed, however, Jimmy eventually found himself the heir and successor to his father, James, Sr., as owner of the Indianapolis COLTS (formerly of Baltimore). To the best of our knowledge, there have never been any doubts --from either Mr. James Irsay, Jr. or from Mr. Skowronski-- that Jimmy had made the correct decision by pursuing sports-team ownership rather than violining as his life-long passion.

Best of luck to both championship teams at SBXVI....with fond memories, GO COLTS, but as always --

GO BEARS!

Skowronski: Classical Recordings

CHICAGO (Evanston), IL

http://www.skowronskiplays.com

January 24, 2007 at 07:55 PM · Well since it can't be the Cardinals, I guess I'll side with "Da Bears".

January 24, 2007 at 08:42 PM · Go Leafs!

...keep going!

...THAT'A'WAY!

February 5, 2007 at 04:31 AM · The Colts won! The Niles family is very happy!

:D

February 5, 2007 at 05:11 AM · So is the Lin family! (though I'm the only one who cared, everyone knows their lives are happier if I'm happy :) ) Congrats to the Colts for a game well played.

February 5, 2007 at 05:30 AM · I was rooting for Peyton and the Colts tonight. He is truly one of the greatest Qbs. It was funny as I was passing through the Indianapolis airport this morning, there had to have been at least more than 50 or 60 people I saw with Colts jerseys. I never doubted it was just a matter of time that a Superbowl victory would come to the Colts, with Peyton’s talent, and the great nucleus of players the Colts organization had been building. It was also nice to see Tony Dungy the head coach of the Colts win this. He’s the first African-American head coach to win a Superbowl. In addition he lost his son very tragically last year. I know a Superbowl title will never replace losing his son, nevertheless, the title couldn’t have gone to a better person in my opinion from what I know of him.

February 5, 2007 at 05:27 AM · ee-hah! The Colts looked very good! I was given a minute flash into the past when my elderly dad, who has worked like 3 men said they should play such a big game indoors. My mind immediately went into rewind to times when they played with steel cleats, could hit after the ball was dead, and so forth...

Moreso, I though of how hard he had worked over his lifetime, and how this mellowed perception, having mined our own coal in scary conditions seemed--something...

Anyway, It take me two days to mellow after a win like that... I should have plenty energy to get my practice done now though. Congrats Laurie!

February 5, 2007 at 05:50 AM · GO STEELERS!

February 5, 2007 at 06:53 AM · In an effort to relate this thread to the violin...I heard that Joshua Bell, at a recital last night, made the following comment to the audience before playing his encore (described "a sad Tchaikovsky piece" from the audience member who related the story; I'm assuming it was "None But the Lonely Heart" from his recent CD):

"I would like to dedicate this song to the Chicago Bears, so please think of them and the loss they are about to suffer."

Naturally, being born, bred, and educated in Indiana, he's a Colts fan... I wonder if his joy will be reflected in his next performance? :) :)

February 5, 2007 at 07:16 AM · Haha good for him.

February 5, 2007 at 07:46 AM · Yeah Josh!

Robert would like to add that Rex Grossman, like Josh, is a Bloomington native...and he also came through for the Colts this evening!

;)

February 5, 2007 at 08:25 AM · Rex has had a tough season--tonight as well--he's young though. I hear ya though--pass the salt please.

February 5, 2007 at 01:29 PM · Congrats, Colts! As a Bear fan, I'm disappointed, but both teams had a great season. I don't think Rex was that bad. I think the Bears had a lousy offensive game plan that Rexie was required to follow. Too much reliance on the run and not enough on short passes (which is what the Colts did so effectively). And the defense didn't have a strategy for handling Manning (who really is a great quarterback).

What all this has to do with the violin, I don't know.

Sandy

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Los Angeles Philharmonic
Los Angeles Philharmonic