Ilya Kaler - Sibelius Competition Video

January 16, 2007 at 10:00 PM ·

i'm gonna post the 1st and 3rd movement soon.

Replies (36)

January 17, 2007 at 06:30 AM · Thanks for the video. He actually split first prize with Kavakos. My teacher went there that year... bad year to show up. I believe Kaler is the only violinist to have won Sibelius, Paganini, and Tchaikovsky. Kaler was the oldest you could be to enter the competition (35?) and Kavakos was the youngest there, age 18 I think. BTW, I encourage everyone to check out Kavakos' new recording of the Mozart Concerti...verrry good.

January 17, 2007 at 07:41 AM · God bless you, D!

January 17, 2007 at 08:11 AM · but see, if he did enter the competition at age 35, he'd be 56 now. and he definetly isn't 56. :)

he was in the competition when he was about 22.

January 17, 2007 at 02:22 PM · Oh schhhnaps... from the son of Mr. Kaler.

I love his Ysaye.

V

January 17, 2007 at 02:28 PM · Smooth--very smooth.

January 17, 2007 at 04:51 PM · 3rd movement:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOZxRCoy6tY

for some reason it won't let me inbed again.

January 17, 2007 at 05:33 PM · Wonderful performance. I love his Ysaye, too.

Sandy

January 17, 2007 at 05:37 PM · I learned a lot from this. I play a lot of very slow music beyond where my program is taking me, and he's set a new standard for bow control, and vibrato control, at least in my beinner's mind. I'm looking forward to the other movement.

January 18, 2007 at 02:41 AM · Sorry Eugene, I was misinformed. One would think it would take longer to become so accomplished and win the three biggest competitions, especially as nobody else has done it in a lifetime.

January 18, 2007 at 05:03 AM · yeah: paganini he was 18, sibelius he was 22, tchaikovsky he was 23...something like that. who was/is your teacher brian?

January 18, 2007 at 05:38 AM · Which orchestra is playing in the video?

January 18, 2007 at 06:07 AM · the one in helsinki...the good one. conductor is something Panula. hes really good...very clear, id like to play under him!

March 3, 2007 at 07:36 PM · FYI, Ilya Kaler just came out with a new CD from naxos, playing Tchaikovsky Violin concerto and 5 short Tchaikovsky pieces. With Russian State Philharmonic I believe. I really like it.

March 4, 2007 at 09:44 PM · i really enjoyed kaler's interview in the way they play. this is my first time hearing him perform and i must say i'm highly impressed.

it's also great to see maestro kaler's son comment in this thread! let that be a warning to those of us on this board who make flippant comments towards prominent soloists...you never know who is reading.

March 5, 2007 at 12:59 AM · Great performance...

March 5, 2007 at 11:09 PM · yes, Eugene is right Ilya Kaler was born in 1963 so when he entered the Sibelius he was about 22, he couldn't be 35 years old heeheheh:)))))

March 6, 2007 at 12:12 AM · His recordings of the Brahms sonatas are my absolute favorite...very tasteful. I think the last movement of the d minor sonata is unusually clean.

March 8, 2007 at 03:21 PM · Websites I've seen indicate that Kaler won in 86, not 85. Maybe Eugene can shed light on this as well? :)

March 9, 2007 at 05:50 AM · there was no competition in 86. It happens every 5 years.

March 9, 2007 at 01:46 PM · For everybody interested in Kaler's new Tchaikovsky CD, here you may listen to the full CD with Ilya Kaler and the Russian Philharmonic Orchestra (primarily a studio band) under Dmitry Yablonsky:

Violin Concerto 1. movement

Violin Concerto 2. movement

Violin Concerto 3. movement

Serenade melancolique

Souvenir d'un lieu cher - Meditation

(arranged for violin and orchestra by Glazunov)

Souvenir d'un lieu cher - Scherzo

Souvenir d'un lieu cher - Melodie

Valse-Scherzo

Enjoy listening!

FMF

March 9, 2007 at 06:31 PM · Interesting, Paul. Everything I've ever heard and read indicated that the competition takes place every four years.

http://www.answers.com/topic/international-tchaikovsky-competition

March 9, 2007 at 08:26 PM · From: Skowronski: Classical Recordings

RE: Tchaikovsky Comp.

The Tchaikovsky Competition convenes every four (4) years during the month of June. Mr. Skowronski was in Moscow 1970 representing the U.S.A. in the Fourth International. Dmitri Shostakovich presided as Grand Chairman of this 'Cold War' spectacle but personally witnessed little of the bristling showdown between the Americans and the Soviets.

Although Mr. Skowronski did not advance past the preliminaries, he certainly earned a unique place in the arcane historical events of the Fourth International Tchaikovsky Competition.

See http://www.skowronskiplays.com

Click 'Press & Reviews' - 'What the Press Says'

Spacibo, bolshoi!!

S:CR

March 9, 2007 at 08:26 PM · From: Skowronski: Classical Recordings

RE: Tchaikovsky Comp.

The Tchaikovsky Competition convenes every four (4) years during the month of June. Mr. Skowronski was in Moscow 1970 representing the U.S.A. in the Fourth International. Dmitri Shostakovich presided as Grand Chairman of this 'Cold War' spectacle but personally witnessed little of the bristling showdown between the Americans and the Soviets.

Although Mr. Skowronski did not advance past the preliminaries, he certainly earned a unique place in the arcane historical events of the Fourth International Tchaikovsky Competition.

See http://www.skowronskiplays.com Click 'Press & Reviews' - 'What the Press Says'

Spacibo, bolshoi!!

March 9, 2007 at 09:07 PM · From: Skowronski: Classical Recordings

Our apologies for the double post.

March 9, 2007 at 09:58 PM · Oh, sorry I thought we were talking about the Sibelius Competition. This video is from the sibelius competition, not tchaikovsky.

you're right about the tchaikovsky, it was in 86, but I meant to say that Sibelius was in fact 85

March 9, 2007 at 10:13 PM · "From: Skowronski: Classical Recordings

Our apologies for the double post.

S:CR "

You keep it up and I'm going to have to buy a cd!

P.S. My supreme factoring skills say there was supposed to be a Tchaikcomp in '06 that wasn't?

March 9, 2007 at 10:19 PM · I love how people talk in the third person about themselves.

March 10, 2007 at 06:45 AM · Mattias does that as well.

March 11, 2007 at 08:35 PM · Ilya Kaler plays Shostakovich's Violin concertos with the Polish National Radio Symphony Orchestra conducted by Antoni Wit here:

Violin Concerto No. 1 in A minor, Op. 99

I. Nocturne

II. Scherzo

III. Passacaglia

IV. Burlesque

and the Violin Concerto No. 2 in C sharp minor, Op. 129

I. Moderato

II. Adagio

III. Adagio - Allegro

FMF

March 11, 2007 at 09:52 PM · From: Robinson: Classical Recordings

RE: Ilya Kaler Recordings

Mr. Robinson would like to thank Frank Michael Fischer for posting these recordings :)

R:CR

March 11, 2007 at 09:59 PM · My pleasure.

Just so I will not run into trouble:

I did not post the RECORDINGS, this has been done by Mr. Kaler's record company. I've just posted the links for easier access.

FMF

March 12, 2007 at 06:11 AM · HAHAHA, nate :)

fyi, the 1st movement of the sibelius is posted on youtube now, in 2 seperate videos. I love the spot at which it's cut haha

March 12, 2007 at 07:25 AM · the links aren't working? or is my computer malfunctioning?

March 12, 2007 at 07:47 AM · I hate to say: your computer or your internet connection has got the problem. I have got seven computers here in my studio connected to the internet via two different broadband connections (both 16Mbit/s). The links work on all systems.

However, if you got a slow internet connection (below 0.5Mbit/s) it might take up to a quarter of an hour before your media player will start playing ... or it might not work at all.

FMF

March 12, 2007 at 02:59 PM · For those interested - Kaler has also recorded the compelete Sonatas & Partitas and they are soon to be released.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases