What instrument to buy with a 800 dollars budget?

December 30, 2006 at 05:15 AM · Hi, i'm from brazil and i'm going to USA next july. I wanna know what kind of violin i can buy with a thousand dollar budget. A good one? A student level one? Here i can't buy much. The price for nice violins star at 2000 dollars. I'm thinking about spending 800 dollars on the instrument and 200 dollars on a bow. I was recommended this store to buy a violion http://store.whleestore.com. I would like to know if these 800 dollars are OK for a initiate student like me.

Regards

Bruno Souto

Replies (5)

December 30, 2006 at 06:44 AM · You will find that there is quite a variety of instruments out there for that price. Most of these violins would not be advanced violins. They would be in a intermediate range. To get the best value for your buck, I would stick to a violin made in China. Scherl and Roth has a new violin made in China that is really great. It is a model R38. Eastman Strings has some decent violins such as the VL305. As for a bow, for that price, you should look at the JonPaul Carbon bows. They have a great warranty and the don't warp. They are much better than wood bows for the price.

December 30, 2006 at 07:57 AM · $1K? Try a recorder.

MP.

December 30, 2006 at 08:20 AM · Well Bruno, Where in the US are you planning on being? Also another good option is ordering offline at a retailer such as Shar (they have a bunch of great violins <$800 and bows <$200) and have them shipped internationally to Brazil. The shipping might cost a bit though, exspecially with insurance.

December 30, 2006 at 09:40 PM · Go East, young man.

I have played many £150 - £500 Chinese violins that out-perform many fiddles costing say £1200- £3500.

I have no idea how they will mature, but they are better now.

gc

December 30, 2006 at 10:58 PM · I had a budget of 2K and ended up spending only $850.00 on a new Romanian violin, an "Enesco Antiqued" from a "Euro-Workshop series" (made in Reghin, Romania) and I just love it. The violin salesperson at the music store laughed at my expression after I'd tested it for the first time. (I'd told him I wasn't interested in such a low priced instrument and he said, "trust me.") My teacher and I did a blind test with two other violins around my 2K price range and while the Enesco didn't blow away the others, both she and I agreed they were all comparable.

Heck of a sound for $850.00. And very playable. And quite pretty, too. (In the end, like in life, looks DO matter, if only a tiny bit...)

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe